2023-2024 WBB Team

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I see a lot of people picking PAC-12 teams, in particular in the 2 matchups against ACC teams. I don't know...I watched a lot of PAC-12 Friday night basketball and as much as I enjoyed it I have to say that most teams lack athletic guards. Nearly every team remaining has at least one quality athletic guard, but that's usually it.

* Stanford has been dealing with this issue ever since Kiana Williams left. This season, I've seen them struggle to defend the perimeter against any team with capable guards. Duke took them to overtime in Palo Alto this season. NC State, if nothing else, is very athletic at the guard position. Stanford has the clear advantage down load, but you just never know how the game will be officiated.

* Oregon State is the one top PAC-12 team that doesn't have a single athletic guard. Out of 360 teams in the country, the Beavers are 358th in steals. They are dead last in their opponent's turnovers. Notre Dame, on the other hand, has the nation's leader in steals, Hannah Hidalgo. Again, it could come down to officiating. Oregon St has the advantage inside in both size and depth. Notre Dame, however, did a nice job of offsetting Ole Miss' size advantage. Toss up for me.

* UCLA is the one PAC-12 team with multiple athletics guards in Kiki Rice and Charisma Osborne. Londynn Jones, unfortunately, couldn't make a shot in the ocean lately. She needs to get going early against LSU. Of course, I'm picking UCLA in this one since I'm going to be rooting for them. tbh, though, my head says LSU.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
To get the most watched women's final of ALL-TIME...IOWA and Clark have to be in it. No other player can draw the crowds and eyeballs on TV.

Carolina vs IOWA would be imo the most watched women's final of all-time.
UCONN vs IOWA would have the same affect.

Without Clark and IOWA, the numbers will be down.
WGAF, oh that’s right, you do. Always with the Iowa/Clark vibes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TN-Gamecock

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
He goes on to say "Not sure this means anything, just thought it was interesting". It means everything. You can keep your players fresh. If a starter gets in foul trouble or is not having a good game or gets hurt, there's no drop off. We don't have a super star that the team is built around, however, we do have a team filled with elite players, starters and bench. Several of those players would be super stars on another team.
Yes, I think when one team's bench outscores the next three highest scoring benches _combined_ that has to mean something. It may not be everything, but it's definitely something. I doubt any of the other remaining 15 coaches share his uncertainty.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This that and the other

Coaches

Harper has 4 or 5 years left on her contract. Their fanbase is ready to move on but I think she gets one more year. I imagine AD White will have someone lined up to immediately move in to Rocky Top.

Amanda Butler was the lowest paid coach in the ACC. They gave Poppie a significant raise but he is still in the bottom third. More importantly they gave him 6 years. I would guess they basically told him the first two seasons don’t count.

My question for Brooks is roster. If he can retain Petty, Scherr and Russell, bring 2 or 3 from Va. Tech including recruits and pluck another two out of portal…..well that is an NIT team, maybe a bubble team.

Would LOVE to see Kamilla or Dawn reach out to their incoming freshman center.
Clara Silva

Commitment date: Sept. 3, 2023
Club: Unicaja Baloncesto
Stars: 5

Quick facts: Though she isn’t in ESPN’s recruiting rankings because she’s from overseas, Silva is arguably the biggest commit of the 2024 class for Virginia Tech. She was highly sought after and chose the Hokies over a number of blue bloods, including UConn, Tennessee, Louisville and Maryland. She’s part of the reason why Tech’s class is sixth in the country — if she lived in the U.S., she’d be a top-10 prospect.

Pingeton appears to have gotten a stay.
WHY??? No Frank or Dembele next year. Slaughter, Judd and Schreacke are good not great and would be very valuable portal additions to the right teams. Cue up The Clash, “Should I stay or should I go”.

Neighbors 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Seat got really hot with Taliah Scott and the Barger sisters, Wolfen and Poffen leaving. Cue up Sean Penn movie, “Dead Man Walking”.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
This guy is a dic*k. He has attacked Coach Staley and has gotten very personal with his attacks on our coach, players and program while kissing up to Mulkey. Zero respect for anything he has to say.

Not a dig at you @DarkCock for posting.
No offense taken. I posted because he was a big Clark defender in the past. Shocking she lost him.

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
This that and the other

Coaches

Harper has 4 or 5 years left on her contract. Their fanbase is ready to move on but I think she gets one more year. I imagine AD White will have someone lined up to immediately move in to Rocky Top.

Amanda Butler was the lowest paid coach in the ACC. They gave Poppie a significant raise but he is still in the bottom third. More importantly they gave him 6 years. I would guess they basically told him the first two seasons don’t count.

My question for Brooks is roster. If he can retain Petty, Scherr and Russell, bring 2 or 3 from Va. Tech including recruits and pluck another two out of portal…..well that is an NIT team, maybe a bubble team.

Would LOVE to see Kamilla or Dawn reach out to their incoming freshman center.
Clara Silva

Commitment date: Sept. 3, 2023
Club: Unicaja Baloncesto
Stars: 5

Quick facts: Though she isn’t in ESPN’s recruiting rankings because she’s from overseas, Silva is arguably the biggest commit of the 2024 class for Virginia Tech. She was highly sought after and chose the Hokies over a number of blue bloods, including UConn, Tennessee, Louisville and Maryland. She’s part of the reason why Tech’s class is sixth in the country — if she lived in the U.S., she’d be a top-10 prospect.

Pingeton appears to have gotten a stay.
WHY??? No Frank or Dembele next year. Slaughter, Judd and Schreacke are good not great and would be very valuable portal additions to the right teams. Cue up The Clash, “Should I stay or should I go”.

Neighbors 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Seat got really hot with Taliah Scott and the Barger sisters, Wolfen and Poffen leaving. Cue up Sean Penn movie, “Dead Man Walking”.
I think this would be an ideal time to make a change at tenn, assuming you had a potential good hire. Just think what they would have been without Rickea Jackson this season. She carried the team. She's be gone and no high profile recruits coming in. Harper's going to have to rely on the transfer portal once again.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This, That, and the other

Recruiting, specifically Watkins and Fulwiley. This board proclaimed loudly that both were ranked too low

Watkins was #12 in her class, as a sophomore she was #1 or #2. Her year was loaded with bigs.
In fact SEVEN Bigs were ranked ahead of her.
Betts UCLA I get that
Beers Oregon State very productive and we might get to compare head to head

Gardener Oregon State NO
Patterson UConn NO
Brady UConn NO
Barker Auburn NO
Nnaji Arizona NO

Fulwiley was ranked #13 with 7 guards ahead of her.
Juju Watkins USCw get that but she chose a place to be the show

Hannah Hidalgo ND get that BUT project their stats over 40 minutes and it’s a push

Williams LSU let’s revote on SEC FOY, we got the better deal

Jadyn Donovan Duke oh hell no

Kamorea Arnold UCONN Very good but nope

Taliah Scott Arkansas excellent but head case and nope

Zoe Brooks NCSU chose a very similar path to MiLaysia went to a good team to be a part of something big. Still take Lay

Last edited:

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
What are y'alls guesses on Where Saylor Poffenbarger ends up?

Edited to add: She appears to be following several of the Bama players. Also has a brother (or close relative) who is a QB at Univ of Miami

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

Edited to add: She appears to be following several of the Bama players. Also has a brother (or close relative) who is a QB at Univ of Miami
Bama plays 4 out, so that would be a basketball fit for her. I remember when it was considered taboo to transfer within the conference, now it seems players would prefer to transfer within the conference. Mingo-Young has played for nearly every SEC school in Mississippi and Alabama.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

Bama is a roster to pay attention to…. Barker, McQueen and Nye are all good players but not WNBA. They all have a Covid year.

IF IF they came back added Poffenbarger along with their 2 top 💯 recruits it has the makings of top 25 team. But that’s a lot of IFS

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Watching Cardoso and Feagin in at the same time. Makes both better. I‘ve thought that Cardoso was better last year playing with Boston than she’s been this year.
I went back and found the time when they played together. It was an effective lineup, maybe the best offensive lineup we could put out there with Cardoso and Feagin surrounded by shooters (Paopao, Tessa, Fulwiley).

However, I think it's telling that Dawn waited until the 4th quarter of a 40+ point blowout, with no one in foul trouble, and UNC playing a 4 (Ustby) whose range is 10 feet from the basket, before she played them together. I suspect the only reason she did is the potential that she would be forced to play the combination if Watkins and Kitts get in foul trouble. Or, maybe, if we face a team like Stanford with two legitimate post players.

That's my guess anyway. Supposedly, the reason Feagin hasn't been playing more, despite awesome offensive analytics, is her defense. I think defense on the perimeter, specifically. Her low post defense has been pretty good. In particular, I thought she did a good job against Angel Reese in the SEC Championship Game. Watkins is so lean that she sometimes has a difficult time maintaining her position against bulky players like Pili and Javon Nicholson. Feagin is heavier in the lower body and, thus, more difficult to dislodge under the basket.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised to see Feagin at the 4 against Indiana. Garzon can hit the 3. Watkins is the perfect player to defend her. She's also a good matchup for Chloe since she's not a banger underneath.

Edit: Garszon can hit the 3. Had to change it.

Last edited:

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
I went back and found the time when they played together. It was an effective lineup, maybe the best offensive lineup we could put out there with Cardoso and Feagin surrounded by shooters (Paopao, Tessa, Fulwiley).

However, I think it's telling that Dawn waited until the 4th quarter of a 40+ point blowout, with no one in foul trouble, and UNC playing a 4 (Ustby) whose range is 10 feet from the basket, before she played them together. I suspect the only reason she did is the potential that she would be forced to play the combination if Watkins and Kitts get in foul trouble. Or, maybe, if we face a team like Stanford with two legitimate post players.

That's my guess anyway. Supposedly, the reason Feagin hasn't been playing more, despite awesome offensive analytics, is her defense. I think defense on the perimeter, specifically. Her low post defense has been pretty good. In particular, I thought she did a good job against Angel Reese in the SEC Championship Game. Watkins is so lean that she sometimes has a difficult time maintaining her position against bulky players like Pili and Javon Nicholson. Feagin is heavier in the lower body and, thus, more difficult to dislodge under the basket.

I could be wrong, but I would be surprised to see Feagin at the 4 against Indiana. Garzon can hit the 3. Watkins is the perfect player to defend her. She's also a good matchup for Chloe since she's not a banger underneath.

Edit: Garszon can hit the 3. Had to change it.
Spot on Dark.

Reactions: DarkCock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022

Last year, against Iowa, our bench scored 38 points and grabbed 28 rebounds (3 more than the Hawkeyes had as a team). The difference between this year and last year are our STARTERS.

This tweet from one of the hosts of a Tar Heel wbb podcast is on the money.

Though, I knew even earlier: when I saw Watkins was in the starting lineup.

Dawn sent the message she wasn't messing around.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Right? I love the people who want to paint her in a bad light. No other coach supports their university like she does.

I had to giggle the other day … a hater on another board went on and on about how incredibly rude it was that Dawn had her dog at the press conference. The poster said she should know not everyone is comfortable with dogs 😂🤪

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Right? I love the people who want to paint her in a bad light. No other coach supports their university like she does.

I had to giggle the other day … a hater on another board went on and on about how incredibly rude it was that Dawn had her dog at the press conference. The poster said she should know not everyone is comfortable with dogs 😂🤪
Some of us are not comfortable with people who are not comfortable with dogs.:cool:

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022

Champ has been to enough of those that he doesn't need Dawn any more! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Some of us are not comfortable with people who are not comfortable with dogs.:cool:
I don't have a problem with Dawn bringing dogs to whatever she wants. It's her program. However, I have to raise my hand. I'm not infatuated with dogs and there have been friends and family members that I don't visit them too fast because of their dogs. Some people don't control their dogs and not all people don't want dogs sniffing all up on them. Sniffing their food, etc. You don't want to tell them because you don't want to hurt their feelings. So, you just stop coming around.

Reactions: Cocky Pat