2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
* We dump on Brink so much. Too whiny, too pretty, so dirty, so overrated. Well she kicked our *** yesterday. Showed why she is so highly regarded.
She wasn't asked much in their postgame news conference yesterday. She wasn't asked very much and their postgame interview lasted less than nine minutes, which included the coach's comments. You could tell she was stricken - on the verge of tears all the time. She hated to lose. She was crushed by it.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
She wasn't asked much in their postgame news conference yesterday. She wasn't asked very much and their postgame interview lasted less than nine minutes, which included the coach's comments. You could tell she was stricken - on the verge of tears all the time. She hated to lose. She was crushed by it.
You are so right! If I remember correctly she said something to the effect, “we had the game but didn’t finish.”

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I saw UT lost to UCLA yesterday. They gave up 80 points. Doesn't sound like a lot, but not a good sign for a team with championship aspirations.

TRIVIA TIME: We have only given up 80 points twice since Aliyah stepped on campus. Both times to the same school.

Can you name the school?

Reactions: winloseortie

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I have not been a fan of Brink over the years. I definitely think she's whiny and has questionable gamesmanship as it relates to fouling and her consistency to flop at the slightest bit of contact. I'm particularly still bitter about the no calls as it relates to her clearly fouling in the final minutes of the Final four contest that could have changed the game.

Having said that, I have nothing but props for how well she played minus a few flops that she attempted. She was the best player on the floor yesterday. 25 points in 23 minutes and doing a good bit of that on Boston as well. Unfortunately for her, her achilles hill is foul trouble which continues to haunt her at the detriment of the team.

Over the past couple of years the debate has been between Caitlin/Paige over who might be the #1 pick come 2024 but it wouldn't surprise me if Brink overtakes them both. Paige's health likely leaves some doubt, and Caitlin's lack of physicality opens the door for some like Brink with size and improved shooting from range to swoop in and take over if she continues this trajectory and clean up the foul trouble.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I saw UT lost to UCLA yesterday. They gave up 80 points. Doesn't sound like a lot, but not a good sign for a team with championship aspirations.

TRIVIA TIME: We have only given up 80 points twice since Aliyah stepped on campus. Both times to the same school.

Can you name the school?
Arkansas ?

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Ding ding ding ding

Yep. They play small and uptempo against us, which is the best way to score points against us. The problem is the other end. I think we scored over a 100 in both games.
Yeah I definitely remember at least one game in the Dungee era where it was just constant offense on both sides. It was very unlike us. If Neighbors could coach some defense, he would have some dangerous teams.

The biggest clue to me was the word twice. It made me rule out any non-conference opponent and Arkansas seems like the only team that can consistently score like that in the SEC.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I did say "partially." Some athletes get very attached to their number. I have heard of some asking about using their number during the recruiting process.
Because they are superficial, and if they want to take it off of someone else still on the team, they are self-centered to boot. If they want to "unretire " a number, they are egomaniacs. I say pass them by.

Reactions: atl-cock

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I have not been a fan of Brink over the years. I definitely think she's whiny and has questionable gamesmanship as it relates to fouling and her consistency to flop at the slightest bit of contact. I'm particularly still bitter about the no calls as it relates to her clearly fouling in the final minutes of the Final four contest that could have changed the game.

Having said that, I have nothing but props for how well she played minus a few flops that she attempted. She was the best player on the floor yesterday. 25 points in 23 minutes and doing a good bit of that on Boston as well. Unfortunately for her, her achilles hill is foul trouble which continues to haunt her at the detriment of the team.

Over the past couple of years the debate has been between Caitlin/Paige over who might be the #1 pick come 2024 but it wouldn't surprise me if Brink overtakes them both. Paige's health likely leaves some doubt, and Caitlin's lack of physicality opens the door for some like Brink with size and improved shooting from range to swoop in and take over if she continues this trajectory and clean up the foul trouble.
I agree Brink gets a bad wrap. She's a problem for anyone playing Stanford, even for a team with as much front court talent as us. That being said, you have to expect some pushback on the claim she was the best player on the floor yesterday. It's a Gamecock board after. lol

This play right here is why Aliyah was the best ....

She's getting doubled team, leaving Hannah Jump to defend both Breezy and Beal. And Jump is still slagging off, caught looking at Aliyah with the ball. Great vision by Boston to found Hall. Of course, Breezy gets the credit, rightly so, but it was a wide open shot.

On the other hand, we don't double team. Ever. Especially against a team that can shoot the 3 like Stanford. There was a play late in the 4th, when Hall was switched on to Brink and neither Amihere or Boston left their player to help. It resulted in a 3 point play for Brink as Breezy fouled. I really thought that was the nail in the coffin.

Not taking anything away from Brink. Our bigs are excellent individual defenders. When Amihere got the call in the 4th, she was able to slow Brink down a bit (of course, Brink was battling foul trouble). Next time we play them coach might consider getting Amihere on Brink earlier. But not doubling paid off. Yes, Brink got hers. But Stanford only hit one more 3 pointer than us. We kept them, especially Jump, from going off.

So, yeah, maybe I'm biased, but I still think Aliyah was the best player yesterday. Lobo even scolded Stanford once for failing to send another player at Boston. As she said, "you can't defend Aliyah Boston with one player."

Farmer

Joined Sep 12, 2001
Feb 1, 2022
I agree Brink gets a bad wrap. She's a problem for anyone playing Stanford, even for a team with as much front court talent as us. That being said, you have to expect some pushback on the claim she was the best player on the floor yesterday. It's a Gamecock board after. lol

She's getting doubled team, leaving Hannah Jump to defend both Breezy and Beal. And Jump is still slagging off, caught looking at Aliyah with the ball. Great vision by Boston to found Hall. Of course, Breezy gets the credit, rightly so, but it was a wide open shot.

On the other hand, we don't double team. Ever. Especially against a team that can shoot the 3 like Stanford. There was a play late in the 4th, when Hall was switched on to Brink and neither Amihere or Boston left their player to help. It resulted in a 3 point play for Brink as Breezy fouled. I really thought that was the nail in the coffin.

Not taking anything away from Brink. Our bigs are excellent individual defenders. When Amihere got the call in the 4th, she was able to slow Brink down a bit (of course, Brink was battling foul trouble). Next time we play them coach might consider getting Amihere on Brink earlier. But not doubling paid off. Yes, Brink got hers. But Stanford only hit one more 3 pointer than us. We kept them, especially Jump, from going off.

So, yeah, maybe I'm biased, but I still think Aliyah was the best player yesterday. Lobo even scolded Stanford once for failing to send another player at Boston. As she said, "you can't defend Aliyah Boston with one player."

Agree! There is a reason Boston is national POY. Boston is almost never guarded by one person. There is usually three players guarding her or two guarding and another close by sagging. Surround her with 3 point shooters of the caliber of Stanford and her domination would be even more apparent.

Reactions: DarkCock

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022

If I'm being honest, I don't think Aliyah was herself in this game or even this season. I'm still waiting on the dominant Boston of last season to show up. While I definitely believe Boston is the better player overall, I still think Brink was the better player last night. She was force on both sides every moment she was in the game. It felt as though Boston didn't really show up until the 4th quarter.

Thunderstick

Jan 21, 2022
Agree! There is a reason Boston is national POY. Boston is almost never guarded by one person. There is usually three players guarding her or two guarding and another close by sagging. Surround her with 3 point shooters of the caliber of Stanford and her domination would be even more apparent.
It’s amazing Boston is as effective as she is given the fact she never gets 2-3 inches off the floor.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I kinda hate it that Tennessee is doing so poor. The SEC is looking very weak outside of USC. Harper better right the ship soon or the team is going to turn on her and she could be out of a job.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I kinda hate it that Tennessee is doing so poor. The SEC is looking very weak outside of USC. Harper better right the ship soon or the team is going to turn on her and she could be out of a job.
Stunning what has happened in a month. 2-4 and they still have Va. Tech, UCF, UCONN and Stanford on their OOC. Still Don’t think my Wofford Terriers can take them.

They are going to be a 10 loss team this year. I have not seen their only recruit 5***** Justine Pissott even play this year. Hurt? Or already in the portal?

They totally whiffed on top 100 recruits for 23. They graduate Key, Jackson, Horston, Walker, Powell and Franklin. The present replacements might get them to the NIT, maybe. What a cluster

• Sad
Reactions: Gamekem

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Great insights!!!!

So much to learn and unpack from this game.

We won! Are we the better team?? Yes by about an inch but we got exposed in some ways I found worrisome and unexpected.

Questions/needs work
* Vandeveer makes better game plans than anybody in the country. Three games in a row she has knocked us on our *** in the first half. Not slowed us down, knocked us on our ***.
* As DarkCock noted Saxton was just nullified totally. We can live without her O but she has to rebound and play D. I was shocked by how physically overmatched she was by Iriafen. Brilliant strategy to put her on the block and Brink on the perimeter.
* We dump on Brink so much. Too whiny, too pretty, so dirty, so overrated. Well she kicked our *** yesterday. Showed why she is so highly regarded.
* 3pt shooting for us is always going to be, “Will it-show up today? And which shooter will it be?”.
We are better but NOBODY is game planning to stop our 3s.

As you say, we have gotten better. The biggest thing is, we have more players who are willing to take 3s: it once was just Henderson and Cooke, then Amihere came and went, then Boston started trying a few of her own when she was getting swamped down in the paint. Now Henderson has left, but Beal has developed a 3-ptr., and Hall and Johnson look like they are interested in taking attempts. Even Watkins made one a game or two back. Watkins, Feagin, and Saxton are a combined 3-4 on 3-pt FGs thus far this season, through 4 games!!! Those names aren't going to be high on your list of expected Gamecocks for 3-pt FG attempts.

But with more options on the team that will attempt those shots, it will help keep opposing defenses more honest. Raven needs to seriously improve on her efficiency, however: our top 3 players in 3-pt attempts thus far this season is Cooke with 19 attempts (47.4% FG completion leads the team), Beal with 16 attempts (43.8% is 2nd on team), and Johnson's 15 attempts (13.3% is......yeesh!). But Raven is taking on a huge load this season as a RS-Frosh, and she seems to have confidence in taking those shots, so perhaps her efficiency there will start to climb.

Saxton was also a no-show versus Stanford in our Final Four game with them in the '21 NCAAT, as well. There must be some match-up issue there that just doesn't go V's way, against that team, I dunno.

* PG play. Raven and Kierra are really good BUT they are not physically or clutch game ready to direct a national championship game YET. They have 35 games to get ready. PLEASE EXPLAIN how we can go 45 minutes against Stanford with just 11 turnovers and turn it over 20 times against taters and terps.!!??

It is interesting: In the Maryland and Clemson games, Johnson was a combined 7 assists and 3 turnovers, and Fletcher was a combined 4 assists and 3 turnovers. In both games, it was Amihere who led the team with the most give-aways (4 TOs vs MD and 3 TOs vs CU, to just 2 total assists), and she along with Cooke played the most minutes at Point vs Stanford. Those team turnovers against the other two opponents look to be just that - TEAM turnovers. Perhaps it was match-up situations

We are currently ranked 88th in WCBB in forcing turnovers per game, with an even 20.0 per game. Clemson is right behind us at 98th, with a 19.5 per game average. Maryland is 125th with a 18.6 per game average. So having those teams force us into 20 TOs on their home floors, with our young and inexperienced PGs doesn't seem too out of the norm.

Stanford is ranked 288th in Forced Turnovers per game, with an average of 14.5 TOs per game. I think the meat of their team defense comes from their great length in the post (they are 2nd nationally behind us in blocks per game) and defensive rebounding (9th - we are currently 20th). Their top guard is also their top player in Jones, and she's not know for excellent perimeter defense, which might be expected considered how much energy she puts out on the offensive end.

Overall, I think the team turnover issue is more opposing match-up oriented than individual player oriented, at this stage. But I would also like to see those numbers lowered as well. As with Amihere playing so much Point versus Stanford, I think it was a case of Dawn trying to match up with more length versus length, especially with both Boston and Saxton getting into foul trouble.

* Our Bench while best in the country has some weaknesses. This is situational not talent.
* HEY GUARDS, Stanford is tall and blocks shots!! They are not ETSU, Hampton or the taters. Don’t take that 5’7” weak *** crap on a wild foray down the lane.

Yep this drove me crazy as well. I think Cooke was trying (more like hoping) to draw fouls against their bigs, especially Brink who is foul prone. But she did do a great Wiley Coyote impression, running full steam into so many brick walls, didn't she?

Good news
* Yes, Tara May be the best game planner in the country, BUT dang if DS is not the best counterpuncher. She never panicked. She made adjustments, coached up her players and found what worked. She played the long game sitting Boston in the first half. Lots of coaches would have freaked and risked the third foul.
* We are really really mentally tough. Our mental toughness not just our depth and physicality wears teams out. Everybody was exhausted in OT, you saw it on the Stanford players faces, but not on ours. Only exception, REALLY V and Brea! Four free throws in a row. Stop that!

Dawn has always held strong to her principles here: if you pick up a 2nd foul in the 1st half, you sit until the 2nd half, no matter the circumstances. I've only ever seen her relent once or twice. Also you sit the rest of the 3rd period if you pick up your 3rd foul.

As for the late free throws by V and Beal: felt bad for V - her FTs came at the very end of the game in overtime. She once was a horrendous FT shooter, but has slowly worked on and improved her shooting at the line until she's gotten more dependable. She came into the Stanford game 9-10 from the charity stripe thus far this season. So I guess the pressure of those 2 FTs were just too much for her. And Beal, well her FT shooting has been and still is pretty shaky. She's now 2-6 from the line on the young season. But her shooting from the field and from the 3-pt arc has improved so much, that we probably shouldn't expect everything from her, LOL.

* Shocking, l know, yeah we got the best bench in the country.
LA is becoming a mad Kiki. She plays with determination, almost anger now. FIVE POSITIONS!!! She played all 5 positions yesterday! God I hope she comes back.
Watkins and Feagin are monsters. Both are stronger, taller, jump higher and better scorers than Saxton. Interesting to see how that position plays out over the season.
Bree Hall and Olivia T are fearless. “ HEY, last woman on the bench get in there! We are going to run a play for you first thing, knock down the three!” Got it coach! I mean what the..... Bree seems to get better in clutch situations.
* Boston and Cooke are killers.

I think Feagin and Watkins are going to push each other and compete with each other (in a friendly way) as long as they are fellow Gamecocks, much like Wilson and Coates did early on. They both have already shown so much of their talents - post scoring, rebounding, blocks, steals, athleticism, 3-pt shooting, defense. About the only thing Feagin has on Watkins right now is FT shooting. It will be exciting watching these two future stars blossom over their careers.

Final note
Three games in a row Stanford has stepped in a fresh pile of steaming dog poo in the last 30 seconds of the game against us. What’s up with that?
Turn the ball over on the inbounds in the semi final
Lane violation and total brain cramp on the last inbounds play last year
5 second violation and time out call this year

I totally agree, and with such a veteran HOF head coach in Vanderveer who has always been known as a heady prep coach, it's pretty surprising to see.....

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I see one of our future OOC opponents South Dakota State beat Louisville 65-55 in the Battle 4 Atlantis. UL is another team that somehow mesmerized the pre-season pundits heading into this season. Much like Tennessee, it's hard to maintain top level successes having to fabricate rosters from the portal every off-season.....

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
How you think Jackson is feeling about turning us down four years ago. Dawn, Brea, Zia. Aliyah and LA pitched her so hard to come here

Reactions: Goody and DarkCock

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
How you think Jackson is feeling about turning us down four years ago. Dawn, Brea, Zia. Aliyah and LA pitched her so hard to come here
I was disappointed at the time but in hindsight it was probably for the best for both parties at the time. Vic was coming off two NCAA championship game losses so it made sense that she would go to a program that was reloading and where she was practically guaranteed to play a big role.

Whereas here, she would be likely competing for minutes with the likes of Beal, Amihere, Saxton, etc. I'm sure she has some regrets, but who knew Vic was going to leave to Texas of all places like he did. If anything she probably regrets staying at Mississippi State after he left.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
I was disappointed at the time but in hindsight it was probably for the best for both parties at the time. Vic was coming off two NCAA championship game losses so it made sense that she would go to a program that was reloading and where she was practically guaranteed to play a big role.

Whereas here, she would be likely competing for minutes with the likes of Beal, Amihere, Saxton, etc. I'm sure she has some regrets, but who knew Vic was going to leave to Texas of all places like he did. If anything she probably regrets staying at Mississippi State after he left.
I wanted her so bad at the time but that would have been a loaded class where she or one of the others may not have stayed. So I think it worked out for the best. I do feel bad for her though. I know she certainly didn’t see her college career going the way that it has.

Reactions: Gamekem

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
So I finally got around to watching the Stanford game again and here's some of things I noticed that I didn't stand out me watching in live.

- I didn't realize that the Thompson 3 really was what sparked a that 2nd quarter push from the bench. I'm glad a walk-on turned scholarship is finally rewarded with a big moment in a big game.

- Fletcher was great in the midrange, when the opponents crowded Boston she took full advantage of the open space. Perhaps we could look to that more to open up the floor for Boston.

-Speaking of the midrange, it was nice to see when struggling to shoot inside we got to see Boston's midrange game return. She went away from it last season some, but I hope it returns more to give defense even more to think about.

-Feagin handled 6'7 Betts pretty well. If push come to shove she could be our potential 5 in the future if necessary.

-Saxton, as much criticism she received from this game, she was actually disruptive. She made things harder for Brink in the first half and was solely responsible for Brink picking up the first two fouls.

-I didn't listen to the commentators the first time around but man is Rebecca Lobo a hater. You could here the glee in her voice as Stanford lead the game from basically from start to finish of regulation and yet her excitement diminished as we took the lead.

-Finally I'm glad Boston was able to make that shot in the final moments of regulation against Brink, the same defender that the notorious miss shot occurred against in the Final Four. Hopefully between Sunday and the championship she can put this all behind her.

Reactions: CWW

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
So I finally got around to watching the Stanford game again and here's some of things I noticed that I didn't stand out me watching in live.

- I didn't realize that the Thompson 3 really was what sparked a that 2nd quarter push from the bench. I'm glad a walk-on turned scholarship is finally rewarded with a big moment in a big game.

- Fletcher was great in the midrange, when the opponents crowded Boston she took full advantage of the open space. Perhaps we could look to that more to open up the floor for Boston.

-Speaking of the midrange, it was nice to see when struggling to shoot inside we got to see Boston's midrange game return. She went away from it last season some, but I hope it returns more to give defense even more to think about.

-Feagin handled 6'7 Betts pretty well. If push come to shove she could be our potential 5 in the future if necessary.

-Saxton, as much criticism she received from this game, she was actually disruptive. She made things harder for Brink in the first half and was solely responsible for Brink picking up the first two fouls.

-I didn't listen to the commentators the first time around but man is Rebecca Lobo a hater. You could here the glee in her voice as Stanford lead the game from basically from start to finish of regulation and yet her excitement diminished as we took the lead.

-Finally I'm glad Boston was able to make that shot in the final moments of regulation against Brink, the same defender that the notorious miss shot occurred against in the Final Four. Hopefully between Sunday and the championship she can put this all behind her.
re: Lobo: huh, you noticed that too. Lobo begrudgingly respects us and she is definitely not a fan.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
re: Lobo: huh, you noticed that too. Lobo begrudgingly respects us and she is definitely not a fan.
Yeah she has no filter to hide it. She was basically defending Brink on foul calls before we even saw the replays that clearly showed she foul. It's just unprofessional, especially for a nationally televised game.

Reactions: vacock

Goody

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Jan 30, 2022
I’ll give Jackson a 50/50 chance of fitting in with the Dawn Staley Way. She definitely have to learn to share the ball, be committed to a team first attitude, and always show good sportsmanship during bad times! Someone like Angel Reese, 0 chance, not because of athletic abilities, but more importantly about protecting her brand. Bottom line watch what you say and do on social media!!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

Vic moved the cheese on her.

Goody

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Jan 30, 2022
Feagin and Cardoso must be in the dog house tonight
I 🙏 that Feagin doesn’t hit the portal!! Also, to me Saxon needs come off the bench, don’t see any value there when we’re playing in big time games when the opponent team has height !!!

Reactions: DarkCock

Orion

Jul 9, 2022
Lets be real, there is nothing to see here. Had Cardoso played, just for example, it just would have been humiliating for Cal Poly. This team was so over matched I kind of felt bad watching :ROFLMAO: It's bad enough with Boston, Saxton, and LA, but then add in 6-7 Cardoso.