2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
She seems a little irritated. I think it goes beyond the question that was asked.
I think they are in the doghouse. Maybe they had a bad attitude in practice. Who knows! But you just don’t shorten the rotation and leave those two players out in a game where everyone should have seen playing time.
I will be so sad if this season is a disappointment for Sania. I really like her and we will really need her next year.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
From Twitter...

Yeah, that's not good.

You shorten substitution patterns by playing everyone you typically have been playing who were active to play, EXCEPT two players, is not good.

You went with some other players when you have gone with all players as long as they are cleared to play, is not good.

Not saying that things can't clear up here and everyone return to good standing, but that response from a coach that have made it her signature somewhat to give all players opportunities to play even when they aren't playing too well, is concerning just a little. There's something else there that I hope dissipates soon, but "DNP - Coach's Decision" is NOT what is typically found next to player's names for games on the schedule, under Dawn Staley, except for the most crucial and toughest games, and those situations might see Olivia or the freshmen not play, but not Feagin by this stage, and definitely not Cardoso......

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Cardoso's and Feagin's lack of playing time comes down to this: Laeticia Amhere is the best power forward on this team and it ain't close. She's going to have a long professional basketball career. Dawn has been playing her on the perimeter so that the other forwards can have more playing time. She even played point in the first half last night. But go to around the 5:00 mark of the 3rd quarter. LA comes in at power forward. The score is 44-20.

(1) #1 South Carolina Gamecock Women's Basketball vs. Cal Poly - ( Full Game - 11/22/22 - HD ) - YouTube

With 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter the score is 72-22! LA was a monster, and this comes on the back of her playing the 4 spot against Stanford in the 4th quarter and OT last Sunday.

Amihere played most of the minutes with Watkins and Hall on the court as well. They just DOMINATED Cal Poly on defense. I told you Dawn was going to love that combination when Aliyah isn't on the court. Their ability to defend on the perimeter can shutdown a team's ability to make a comeback by hitting 3's.

Watkins1.JPG

Playing with Watkins, Amihere and Hall at various points in that run was Raven, Zia, Cooper, Fletcher and Beal. All good to excellent perimeter defenders.

At the 5 minute mark of the 4th, Thompson came in and that was the end of the run. It only takes one Ok defender to change the effectiveness of our defense. And that's the problem with Cardoso -- she struggles on the perimeter, defensively. Since Cal Poly played small -- not that they had much of a choice -- I could see why this might not have been the game for her. Plus, the Amihere/Watkins combination was playing so well, why mess with it?

Feagin's lack of playing time is more perplexing. All the advanced stats suggest she's a better option than Saxton. But perhaps Saxton's greatest asset is she plays hard, even against the weakiest opponents (And Cal Poly was pretty weak. Although the next opponent, Hampton, is supposedly worst).

So the challenge going forward for Dawn, as I see it, is she has one of the best power forwards in the country and she's playing her at different positions so that other players can get on the court. How does she manage the minutes?

Reactions: cockyclt

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
We all know Dawn runs a tight ship. Usually when she sits players it's to prove a point. It could be something simple like breaking curfew, late for practice or slacking off in practice. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and something that will make those players hungrier to play to the best of their abilities at all times.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Destiny might be at Southern Cal but she's a Gamecock. She traveled the six hours to support her former team at the Stanford game

I know where she's from and I think I know why she left. But I still hate it.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I know where she's from and I think I know why she left. But I still hate it.
Yeah her primary reason for leaving was academics. I believe she wants to be a doctor. Also as Conway as alluded the playing time doesn't hurt either. Yesterday she played 37 minutes something she would never do here unless her name was Boston, Beal or Cooke.

In the past 2 seasons here she averaged 300 total minutes a season. In 5 games she already has played 150 minutes. I think it was for the best for both parties and unlike some our previous other transfers she's shown us nothing but love.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Her Hoop Stats had us beating Stanford by 1 and Cal Poly by 47. Rather impressive.

Bad news is they predict we'll lose to UCONN.

Good news is every other game is predicted to be a double digit win.

This much separation between the top 3 teams is not good. Our starting lineup wasn't very impressive against Stanford. Yes, Dawn found the right lineup in crunch time and we won, barely. I'm concerned we can get away with a less than optimal starting 5 against everyone else on schedule and we pay for it against UCONN/Stanford when it matters.

This team is so good, I need something to worry about. lol

Reactions: winloseortie

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Her Hoop Stats had us beating Stanford by 1 and Cal Poly by 47. Rather impressive.

This much separation between the top 3 teams is not good. Our starting lineup wasn't very impressive against Stanford. Yes, Dawn found the right lineup in crunch time and we won, barely. I'm concerned we can get away with a less than optimal starting 5 against everyone else on schedule and we pay for it against UCONN/Stanford when it matters.

If we lose to UConn, it'll only be because we are due for a loss. I can't see them as being better than we are.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022

If you check games already played, Her hoops stats has already been mightily wrong a couple of times this year. Our starting lineup dealt with foul trouble early in the game and the bench sustained it. Our team seems to always get better as the year progresses, so I feel extremely comfortable with our starting lineup and our team going forward.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
If you check games already played, Her hoops stats has already been mightily wrong a couple of times this year. Our starting lineup dealt with foul trouble early in the game and the bench sustained it. Our team seems to always get better as the year progresses, so I feel extremely comfortable with our starting lineup and our team going forward.
To be fair, Her Hoop Stats' predictions will only improve as the season progresses and they have more data to work with.

I'm confident we have the best roster in the country. We might be better than last year, but right now the starting lineup is not due to the loss of Destanni. It's still early, though. Fletcher and Saxton can improve or changes can be made. We'll see what the lineup looks like against UCONN in a couple of months.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I saw some of Justine Pissott play last night for UT. She was ranked ahead of Ashlyn Watkins by ESPN.

1669474916960.png

Harper had to call timeout to ger her off the court and Jackson and Horston back on.

Orion

Jul 9, 2022
So I was at the men's basketball game yesterday, and noticed Dawn and Feagin ( alot of other players were there too) dancing together at one point near the visiting side entrance/exit. With that said, my point is, I just hate seeing our fans make up these unverified claims of "players must be in the doghouse" because they didn't play in a game that they were never needed for anyway. All speculation that means nothing.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
6 games in is enough of a sample size to look a NCAA stats, except for 7-0 LSU and their wretched schedule. They just beat the toughest team on their schedule so far, George Mason, #158 RPI, 80-52.
For perspective ETSU who we opened with is #154 and we won 101-31

#1 points allowed pg 43.7
#1 defensive shooting % 26.4
#1 blocks per game
#2 scoring margin pg 40.7
#2 rebounding margin
Of course LSU is #1 in those

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
FG% of Gamecock post players:

Boston 68.2%
Amihere 58.8%
Cardoso 68.0%
Watkins 71.4%
Feagin 72.2%
Saxton 42.3%

Ouch. If that isn't bad enough, Saxton has collected 11 defensive rebounds on the season. Cooper has 11 defensive rebounds. Raven has 12.

Now you might be thinking "well, Saxton plays alongside Boston, who gets most of the rebounds." True. However, Beal also plays alongside Boston and Brea has 29 defensive rebounds! Watkins has 24 defensive rebounds in far less minutes than Saxton.

Saxton's lack of production shouldn't be an issue since we have the most low post depth in WBB college history. But somewhere it's written in stone that Saxton must start, so it is kind of an issue. It's definitely getting awkward.

Yesterday, Dawn pulled the entire starting lineup after a Saxton turnover in the 2nd half, so Saxton only played 14 minutes (2 points, 2 turnovers). Cardoso and Watkins came in and dominated, as they should against Hampton.

Tomorrow is a new day. Hopefully Saxton will have a good game against UCLA. If not, the kids have shown they can get the job done.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
Should be a good opportunity for the PG’s to get action against a quality backcourt from UCLA. Osborne is a handful at 20 PPG and Kiki Rice is living up to the National #1 freshman recruit tag. Our PG’s and Cooke will be tested. I look for Bree Hall to stand out tonight, she has superior length to most of UCLA’s perimeter players and she is shooting very well this season.

The SC front court should find plenty of room down low, the only Bruin with size is a 6’4” German girl that will probably get in early foul trouble trying to contain our deep lineup of bigs.

SC by 12+

Reactions: Gamekem

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I wish that when the coaches saw that abysmal setup, they immediate said "nope" and went home.
I think the bad coverage will take care of future events held by this entity. Either there won't be any or they will be set up suitably. These people have been getting scorched.

Reactions: atl-cock

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I think the bad coverage will take care of future events held by this entity. Either there won't be any or they will be set up suitably. These people have been getting scorched.
Worse than an intramural set up at the "Y" gym

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
This team this year reminds me alot of last years team. They are winning on pure superior talent but are not playing like a championship team for the most part. They keep getting behind better opponents and then having to push the gas pedal in the fourth to come back and win, and then against lesser opponents they look like they are sleepwalking a bit. This caught up to us last year against Mizz to start SEC season and then again against Kentucky in SEC title game. After those games Dawn was able to light a fire under them and they dominated for a while before complacency set in again. It was only after the media really harped on us in the NCAA tournament against Miami for being so bad offensively, that the team really went out to prove everyone they were who all thought they were. This team is starting the year the same way. We have several easy games coming up and I would like to see a full 40 minutes from them in all of these. They will be like LSU if they dont and will struggle against someone they should destroy (like LSU last night against SE Louisiana?) only winning by 8 or 9. These girls can destroy every team they play if they will focus and make sure they show everyone they are far and away the best team on the court. However I see a couple of mind numbing loses coming if they dont really focus. I am not saying they wont win the National Championship but a team like UConn will beat us easy the way they are playing. They are out to prove everyone wrong and are doing so with ease. We need to be more focused and determined from here on out.

Reactions: vacock

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
This team this year reminds me alot of last years team. They are winning on pure superior talent but are not playing like a championship team for the most part. They keep getting behind better opponents and then having to push the gas pedal in the fourth to come back and win, and then against lesser opponents they look like they are sleepwalking a bit. This caught up to us last year against Mizz to start SEC season and then again against Kentucky in SEC title game. After those games Dawn was able to light a fire under them and they dominated for a while before complacency set in again. It was only after the media really harped on us in the NCAA tournament against Miami for being so bad offensively, that the team really went out to prove everyone they were who all thought they were. This team is starting the year the same way. We have several easy games coming up and I would like to see a full 40 minutes from them in all of these. They will be like LSU if they dont and will struggle against someone they should destroy (like LSU last night against SE Louisiana?) only winning by 8 or 9. These girls can destroy every team they play if they will focus and make sure they show everyone they are far and away the best team on the court. However I see a couple of mind numbing loses coming if they dont really focus. I am not saying they wont win the National Championship but a team like UConn will beat us easy the way they are playing. They are out to prove everyone wrong and are doing so with ease. We need to be more focused and determined from here on out.
I think last night was a case of only having one day prep for a team that uses ball screens the way the do in the NBA. Most college team on the women's side don;t do that and they had extra prep to put in that box and one with a guard chaser. It is a style that our girls do not see most often and the last time they had those struggles were years ago when they played "you guessed it" UCLA with Jordin Canada as the point guard, who is an NBA all star. Once they started switching the ball screens instead of going over the top, they were able to contain them and get the game into control. I also think this game will make us stronger, as after the first half, we finally got back to the mentality we had late last year to go aggressively and put up the first shot without hesitation, and let our rebounding go to work. I think we will be fine. Setting that fire into Cardosa is going to be a game changer going forward if she continues to bring it. I think this team will continue to grow in skill and performance and by March we will be the team everyone expects us to be.

Reactions: B.Cocky

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
Generally, when SC starts a game off slow on offense against a team with talent, they seem to always play close or even fall behind. It should not shock anyone who has watched this version of our team since the 32-1 Covid yr. of KiKi & TH leading the super frosh.

IMO, it’s not the guard play that causes SC to sometime struggle offensively, it’s the lack of a scoring wing forward since Mad K graduated. I love Beal and her intangibles, but this is two games in a row with zero points. That lack of scoring production from the Wing is the main factor in many of our slow starts, IMO. The good news is DS has a deep bench with many options to counter a slow start to find what will work for that particular matchup. Non-starter Bree Hall, who starred off the bench at Stanford, was barely a factor last night while Cardoso, who struggled at the Cardinal, was a force against UCLA with points, rebounds, & blocks. Plus our defense and bench wears teams down over the course of the game. Fatigue matters & how many times did UCLA have to settle for a deep three late in the shot clock in the second half due to pressure? Let's all remember that Games are 4 quarters & not won at the half. Despite the slow start, from the point of the game where the Bruins led 31-21, SC outscored UCLA by 19. As much as I wish we had a pretty offense like some teams, DS has built SC to play as a bulldozer. Some games, it takes times for that machine to get rolling. Will SC lose a game or two this season - possible/probable. But I don’t see us getting blown out in any game we might. with that being said, UCLA is a good team, was motivated, & played hard. Hats off.

Last edited:

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Saniya Rivers had a breakout game for NC State last night. 22 points and 3-4 from three! Happy for her but still wish she was ours!
I was impressed, I was looking for that all season last year. She even made a few from the midrange that looked good too.

Reactions: CockyGirl

Dreaus

Sep 10, 2022
Generally, when SC starts a game off slow on offense against a team with talent, they seem to always play close or even fall behind. It should not shock anyone who has watched this version of our team since the 32-1 Covid yr. of KiKi & TH leading the super frosh.

IMO, it’s not the guard play that causes SC to sometime struggle offensively, it’s the lack of a scoring wing forward since Mad K graduated. I love Beal and her intangibles, but this is two games in a row with zero points. That lack of scoring production from the Wing is the main factor in many of our slow starts, IMO. The good news is DS has a deep bench with many options to counter a slow start to find what will work for that particular matchup. Non-starter Bree Hall, who starred off the bench at Stanford, was barely a factor last night while Cardoso, who struggled at the Cardinal, was a force against UCLA with points, rebounds, & blocks. Plus our defense and bench wears teams down over the course of the game. Fatigue matters & how many times did UCLA have to settle for a deep three late in the shot clock in the second half due to pressure? Let's all remember that Games are 4 quarters & not won at the half. Despite the slow start, from the point of the game where the Bruins led 31-21, SC outscored UCLA by 19. As much as I wish we had a pretty offense like some teams, DS has built SC to play as a bulldozer. Some games, it takes times for that machine to get rolling. Will SC lose a game or two this season - possible/probable. But I don’t see us getting blown out in any game we might. with that being said, UCLA is a good team, was motivated, & played hard. Hats off.
I believe teams expend all their energy in the 1st and 2nd Quarters against us. All we have to do is stay close. 3 & 4 quarters they get no lift on their jump shots and our size takes its toll. If hit our outside shots early, game over.

Reactions: Cockburn