2022 Might Be Epic

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
  1. New Coach, whomever that may be!
  2. Transfer Portal providing possible immediate starts for OLine, depth at WR (we'll see if Gary is that second go-to guy), and a big running back
I agree, and most of the best players will be back. Although I might consider a fast running back over a big one. Best news of all is that Harrell will be gone.

trojandave

Aug 24, 2017
just remember 2002. Second year with Pete Carroll. Pete had to fill in gaps here and there. A couple early loses. Then by the end of the year, this team was unstoppable. I believe there was at least one news outlet that gave USC a #1 ranking.

With the transfer portal, USC can fill gap needs immediately and content in 2022.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
I dunno about soft after Saturday's game. I do think Robert Stiner's a definite upgrade over Aaron Ausmus. But Harrell should be kicked down the freaking stairs like yesterday, and we should develope a whole new O and even line up under center from time to time. Shotgun all night and day gets old and predictable and totally useless, most of the time, especially inside Red Zone. We cannot run a lick out of this infernal shotgun.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
I dunno about soft after Saturday's game. I do think Robert Stiner's a definite upgrade over Aaron Ausmus. But Harrell should be kicked down the freaking stairs like yesterday, and we should develope a whole new O and even line up under center from time to time. Shotgun all night and day gets old and predictable and totally useless, most of the time, especially inside Red Zone. We cannot run a lick out of this infernal shotgun.
I don't think strength is the issue either. I think it is absolutely scheme. #1 our QB claps his hands to snap the ball, so everyone knows exactly when the ball will be snapped. I would mix it up to keep the defense from knowing exactly when to rush. We are putting our OL at a disadvantage. The element of surprise is a tried and true war tactic that should be employed on the regular. It's the advantage that the attacker has over the defender.

I'm not sure if you guys do the same thing, but when i'm watching NFL games, I often see great plays that work perfectly and I wonder if any of our coaches or players are watching and saying, damn we need to run that play. But alas, I never see USC employ any of those plays from the NFL that actually work.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Which top teams go under center even 4 plays a game? I haven’t seen them.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Last edited:

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I’d add the Strength & Conditioning culture needs a hard reset. We are soft physically, it’s another reason we can’t control the LOS, esp on off.
Disagree. On offense, linemen never get to drop and drive with leverage, they play on their heels. On defense, we are woefully shallow at DT and undersized at MLB. There's nothing you can do in the weight room to fix those problems.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
In 2019, 37% of all snaps in the NFL were under Center, 63% were in the shotgun. But when it was a running play, the QBs were under Center 68% of the time.

The SB featured the Chiefs and the 49ers. The Chiefs ran the ball 72% when the QB was under Center. The 49ers ran the ball 69% of the time they were under Center.

I'll never believe running the ball 100% of the time from the shotgun is the best approach because other teams are doing it.

If I had a checklist for the next HC, somewhere below building a staff would be "Get under Center on run plays".

AD1974

Aug 26, 2017
I wonder if any of our coaches or players are watching and saying, damn we need to run that play. But alas, I never see USC employ any of
This is a rare plus regarding a play called Saturday. Last year in the CFB championship game on a play near the Buckeye goal line ...Devonta Smith went in motion from a wide set towards the backfield, just before the ball was snapped he spun and sprinted back from where he had been and caught the ball in the flat and using his speed to get to the pylon. In the WSU game, Bryant was used in a similar way and it worked for us, even though GB lost his footing. It was creative wrinkle we don’t usually see and it worked!
My only concern is that the ‘Sark’ play was a forward pass and ours was a lateral, that if not caught could be catastrophic. But Props for taking something that worked for Bama and using it on a special player we have that has a similar speed/skill set.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
This is a rare plus regarding a play called Saturday. Last year in the CFB championship game on a play near the Buckeye goal line ...Devonta Smith went in motion from a wide set towards the backfield, just before the ball was snapped he spun and sprinted back from where he had been and caught the ball in the flat and using his speed to get to the pylon. In the WSU game, Bryant was used in a similar way and it worked for us, even though GB lost his footing. It was creative wrinkle we don’t usually see and it worked!
My only concern is that the ‘Sark’ play was a forward pass and ours was a lateral, that if not caught could be catastrophic. But Props for taking something that worked for Bama and using it on a special player we have that has a similar speed/skill set.
I think the play’s timing was off because of the slip and with the kid at qb, he rushed the toss. It was very close.

Reactions: AD1974

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
I agree, and most of the best players will be back. Although I might consider a fast running back over a big one. Best news of all is that Harrell will be gone.
running backs are going in the opposite direction because of the o/L

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
So how does Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon do it? They are in shotgun/spread sets exclusively in their base offense.
[About Alabama's scheme,Sarkisian states] “The whole premise is to run the ball until you tell me that I can’t. We then build on that to RPO’s, PAP, and 3 step”.

If that's not 180 degrees opposite of the Air Charade philosophy, I don't know what is.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
That’s his run philosophy….his passing game absolutely adopts AR principles. Starting with mesh routes.
Oklahoma excels at this as well.
And they do exclusively from the shotgun.
I have no issues with the shotgun. Bowden and Spurrier had great success 25+ years ago being exclusively shotgun.

Though I prefer under center and play action philosophy, I totally concede you can have a powerful running game from shotgun and pistol formations. See also: RichRod at WVU, Chip at Oregon, Urban wherever he's coached.

I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times, we have an Air Charade offense -- not an Air Raid offense. Mike Leach or Kliff Klingsbury would have no problem racking up yards and TDs with our talent. GH is a fraud.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
The majority of the thread deals with Harrell’s crappy offense and our talent level on Oline. Well like Katz speculates Harrell will be gone when a new coach arrives, so that takes care of one problem.
We just need to bring in some Top tier Oline recruits. That would help either Donte or a new head coach so we can install a more balanced offense! I would even forgo a mediocre season because first culture change is tough to do after 6 years of Helton crap, and second Donte cannot change an offensive identity during mid season. So focus on the things he can control, like stupid penalties, hustling at all times and never being complacent as life is always a competition, there are so many little things he has to fix because change of culture is a hard thing for coaches and players to adjust too!
Fight On Donte!

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Epic? I just don't see it happening that quickly. There is certainly enough talent to win the conference, and the transfer portal will help, but to make an actual run at the NC will take at least two recruiting cycles. Maybe three. We're talking about going head-to-head with Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. Eventually, yes. Next year, no.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Epic? I just don't see it happening that quickly. There is certainly enough talent to win the conference, and the transfer portal will help, but to make an actual run at the NC will take at least two recruiting cycles. Maybe three. We're talking about going head-to-head with Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Oklahoma, etc. Eventually, yes. Next year, no.
I believe that you are correct. I’m hoping it turns around sooner, but I know it’s not likely.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I believe that you are correct. I’m hoping it turns around sooner, but I know it’s not likely.
I think it will be there with one or two big top 5 to top 10 classes. Need to beef up the line on both sides. I see how other lines look at the schools mentioned and we are so far behind the curve. 1 to 2 years. Max.

trojandave

Aug 24, 2017
I say, “epic” because we have the “transfer portal” that potentially gives USC the ability to fill gaps immediately. Imagine if we have a big name coach that can recruit - starters on losing teams, key backups stuck behind starters… it’s these guys, guys with experience, that would use the transfer portal. USC can fill gaps immediately.

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
I say, “epic” because we have the “transfer portal” that potentially gives USC the ability to fill gaps immediately. Imagine if we have a big name coach that can recruit - starters on losing teams, key backups stuck behind starters… it’s these guys, guys with experience, that would use the transfer portal. USC can fill gaps immediately.
What would fill those transfer portals rapidly would be if London or Slovis or Dart would sign a 6 figure NIL deal--preferably with a CAA rep out front.

Reactions: Pudly76

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
The majority of the thread deals with Harrell’s crappy offense and our talent level on Oline. Well like Katz speculates Harrell will be gone when a new coach arrives, so that takes care of one problem.
We just need to bring in some Top tier Oline recruits. That would help either Donte or a new head coach so we can install a more balanced offense! I would even forgo a mediocre season because first culture change is tough to do after 6 years of Helton crap, and second Donte cannot change an offensive identity during mid season. So focus on the things he can control, like stupid penalties, hustling at all times and never being complacent as life is always a competition, there are so many little things he has to fix because change of culture is a hard thing for coaches and players to adjust too!
Fight On Donte!
Donte could at least have them run a pistol on running downs.

Latest posts