3-Star TX Running Back DeAnthony Gatson Decommits From USC

SCBoogie

Nov 30, 2018
Lazy take. Different situations. Different players.

JT is the "same" guy he was here. Georgia's defense is driving them, not the talent of JT Daniels. No one misses JT at QB. More people have contemplated how the team would be with Young or Corral than with JT.

Note how any discussion of Kedon always involves 2019. Then they pivot to him being all conference in a poor league as far as QB talent in a 6 game season. The tape doesn't lie. If he was that dude the interim wouldn't be publicly open to replacing him after one game out due to injury.

And this not a defense of Scam Harrell.
I miss JT and wish he was here. Georgia is averaging something like 35 pts/game and 425 yds of offense/game. Which includes the Clemson game (a team that is giving up like 8 points/game). I agree, their defense is exceptional but what is driving that team is excellence in all aspects of the game, including JT.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

CoronaTrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
Serious question just to understand the process. Why would an O-lineman sign up to come play for SC see how poor the OC is? Do the overall benefits of the school outweigh the poor schemes or do recruits simply bank on the guy may be gone before they graduate? Btw, all game long I kept posting the question, “why don’t they try running to the left side?”
Good point - why come to a place where your line partners do not appear to be able to work together and/or are not physical/dominating players? Being part of a good OL unit will most likely be due to good coaching, will allow a good OL player to get better and will make a good OL player a better pro prospect; playing OL at a school with a good defense will make that OL player a better pro prospect, to say nothing about the chance to play in marquee games during his career. We saw how good OL and DL lines made each other better and made good recruits good pro prospects during the time of PC and EO

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Scott the Great Clay Helton once said. I’ll use a ClayISM quote.

“I looked into his eyes and didn’t see fear”

Helton dropped more pearls of wisdom than Frederick Nietzsche.

SCthe1

Aug 24, 2021
Scott, what are your thoughts on Norco RB Jadyn Ott? He is a 4-star who just decommitted from Cal and has been offered by SC. Should we grab him, even while trying to get Raleek and Javonte? With Kenan Christon's future with the Trojans in doubt and Vae being a senior we are in need of RB depth. Does Jadyn Ott help us to address this deficiency?

Reactions: ScottSchrader

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
Scott, what are your thoughts on Norco RB Jadyn Ott? He is a 4-star who just decommitted from Cal and has been offered by SC. Should we grab him, even while trying to get Raleek and Javonte? With Kenan Christon's future with the Trojans in doubt and Vae being a senior we are in need of RB depth. Does Jadyn Ott help us to address this deficiency?

Hoping to get some info. on OTT, but my guess USC likes him and feels good about chances. Hope to find out soon.

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
I would only recruit solid 4 or 5 star running backs. Running back is the easiest position to fill off the portal. Use your recruit numbers for lineman

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
And why do they keep running sideline to sideline, what happened to running north and south?
That is the biggest problem right there. I'm not sure our linemen have ever been coached to drive their man backward.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I miss JT and wish he was here. Georgia is averaging something like 35 pts/game and 425 yds of offense/game. Which includes the Clemson game (a team that is giving up like 8 points/game). I agree, their defense is exceptional but what is driving that team is excellence in all aspects of the game, including JT.
JT is good but he's not the passer of Slovis and probably not Dart. Just MHO.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
That is the biggest problem right there. I'm not sure our linemen have ever been coached to drive their man backward.
That may be true or it could just be our S&C conditioning program was terrible.
AA was all about lifting heavy and eating thicc and none of his program was about functional strength that you would need on game day.
I'm liking what I'm seeing from Stiner, but I think it takes more than one season to truly start seeing results.

SCBoogie

Nov 30, 2018
JT is good but he's not the passer of Slovis and probably not Dart. Just MHO.
Well, I disagree on only 1 thing, JT is a better overall QB than Slovis. Pittman made Slovis who he is. Dart, yet to be determined other than arm strength which is already better than both. I root for them all. hoping they will all be successful. Fight On Rod

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
They haven't but it's by design. We are a zone blocking scheme designed to screen off the pursuit and allow the RB to read the gaps that develop. It's not new to USC--most RPO teams block this way. Very few play a more power-oriented "blow your man off the LOS" type game. Our problem is:
1. Our QB's do not run the ball.
2. There is zero misdirection around our formations pre-snap.
3. IMO, we don't stretch the field enough in our passing game, which allows defenses to crowd the box with safety help.
4. We've had the wrong type of RB's. Until this season, too many downhill styles and not enough read-react ability.
5. NO COMMITMENT TO THE RUN GAME. Even when we're successful for a period of time, we quickly shift back to the pass.

Latest posts