4* DT Hero Kanu

Trojan-Seij

Sep 13, 2021
OU was on his top 5 so there's a big familiarity with the staff. Already visited Oklahoma, I believe he is part European as well since he mentioned that he is #1 Euro recruit. 🤔
IMG_20211208_160500.jpg

Reactions: DAVIDOFUSC

Jaythebae

Sep 12, 2021
USC making a push for another Cali kid, Hero Kanu, (6'5, 293). Per Greg Biggins. Also Hero made a my day on his Instagram on the hiring of Cain. Crystal ball to Ohio State but I trust Coach LR. View attachment 165040
Should be noted that the post he shared on his story was announcing USC hiring Cain, the former coach at OU. Seems like recruits really like him, so fingers crossed that Hero will give us a shot.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Also think we have a shot with Cyrus Moss, could be great and much needed additions to our line if we can snag a few of them.
DJ Wesolak, Cyrus Moss, Hero Kanu would be great future proofing and they would have almost immediate playing time. Along side Tuli, Korey, plus another DL commit and transfer portal player or two? That would be a solid class.

Mervin Jr would also be another HUGE get and or former OU commit Moore

Last edited:

TommyT

Aug 24, 2017
Johnson and Day had an in home visit last week but if lr can get him on campus this weekend for a visit may change things

AdelitasTJ

Aug 29, 2021
Hero would be a nice get so long as we grab some high floor guys to go with him. I say that b/c he looks really raw to me. The kind of raw that makes guys like Korey Foreman and Wole look like POLISHED old pros.

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
Hero would be a nice get so long as we grab some high floor guys to go with him. I say that b/c he looks really raw to me. The kind of raw that makes guys like Korey Foreman and Wole look like POLISHED old pros.
I think they can develop him if USC gets him with the new coaching staff. Wole wasn’t until he transferred to Illinois where he got developed

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
IIRC, he grew up in Germany?
Yes. He was "spotted" playing soccer by Brandon Collier, a former NFL player who started a company whose goal is to bring American football to Europe, but even more so, to place talented European athletes on D1 teams in America.

Kanu had 3 choices where to stay hosted in the US but ended up at SMCHS because their head coach was college teammates with Collier. Kanu's mother is still living in Germany but came to the US to go on some official visits with her son. I know she went to an Ohio State game and a UGA game. Hard to tell but she seemed the most impressed with the Buckeyes.
I think they can develop him if USC gets him with the new coaching staff. Wole wasn’t until he transferred to Illinois where he got developed
Not sure Betiku is a great example to use. Yes, he certainly improved after he left USC but is he on an NFL roster at the moment? It is really hard to develop kids who never played football until a much later age. It can be done but you need a really skilled position coach.

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Westolak, Kansas and Moss would be spectacular but I'm greedy and I want to see us close and get Mykel Williams and Miller in the class as well. Those 5 would make my heart sing.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Hero has tremendous upside. Besides only having played a couple years of football, he also just turned 17 during his senior season.
His first game of organized football was this last March. What he was "playing" was practicing really and evaluation was from a European prospect camp.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Isn't Shaun Cody, our Shaun Cody? There can only be one.
queen text GIF

ICEnEC

Aug 27, 2017
Wole wasn't that "developed" in Champagne. The couple of games I caught, he appeared to have 1 responsibility, and that was to get to the QB. I saw RB's with the ball in their hands run right by him more than a few times.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

Mr.roltrojan

Aug 7, 2018
Wole wasn't that "developed" in Champagne. The couple of games I caught, he appeared to have 1 responsibility, and that was to get to the QB. I saw RB's with the ball in their hands run right by him more than a few times.
Maybe he wasn’t all American or 1st round material but my point is that he play waaaaayyyyyyyy better at Illinois. Wole was a highly coveted prospect that was raw and had few years playing football like hero from another country where American football is not the primary sport.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Here is my scoop. He is 6'5 and has only played 3 years of tackle football. He has a SEC body and the potential is off the charts.
His first game of actual competitive football wasn't until this last March. Before that he was in Europe. Not the same as what kids in America do.

Size and potential are both huge. I do wonder if he progressed though as he seems to have peaked in September in terms of ranking.

Reactions: 4heisman

BuTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I think we will have room on the roster right now to take a flyer on him. We will prob struggle to get to the limit this year on transfers and recruits

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

USC92

Sep 10, 2017
Maybe he wasn’t all American or 1st round material but my point is that he play waaaaayyyyyyyy better at Illinois. Wole was a highly coveted prospect that was raw and had few years playing football like hero from another country where American football is not the primary sport.

Illinois was using him and Imatorbhebhe for what they were good at, instead of benching them because they weren't complete players. It appears the best coaches seem to find ways to use players with unique talents. It might let the defense know what is coming, but if you have someone who has a 40+ inch vertical you should use them near the goal line or a freak athlete who can rush the passer you should use them and not bench them just because they aren't well rounded or good at everything.