5 Things: USC 42, Arizona State 25

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
I thought Caleb was amazing. He is elusive and can throw very well on the run. There were some passes he made that I thought for sure he was going to be sacked and he still made with great accuracy. He reminds me some of Patrick Mahomes. One that was amazing was he was about to get sacked and he throws a pass to Addison who is 10 yards up the sideline. The pass was a high looping pass just over the head of the defender. He did this while on the run. He was like Houdini on some of the 3rd and long plays. I was more concerned about the first half D. However, CLR made some great adjustments in the second half and slowed down ASU. I was impressed with their QB. Very accurate and when he needed to run he did a good job.

Reactions: shane2020

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
Five takeaways for me.
1. Our OL isn't as improved as most
thought it was.
2. Our D needs to improve its
defense against the rush.
3. We need to improve kick coverage. It's only a matter of time before someone breaks
one.
4. We need to make
more stops on 3rd
down. Especially
long 3rd downs.
5. The takeaways per
game is
unsustainable. We
need solid play
from our D.

Last edited:
Reactions: TroyBill

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Five takeaways for me.
1. Our OL isn't as improved as most
thought it was.
2. Our D needs to improve its rush
defense.
3. We need to improve kick coverage. It's only a matter of time before someone breaks
one.
4. We need to make
more stops on 3rd
down. Especially
long 3rd downs.
5. The takeaways per
game is
unsustainable. We
need solid play
from our D.
The O-line wasn't the O-line. No Deidich with his center knowledge to complement Neilon's. That tackle spot was up in the air. No worries, I can see the line getting better as guys get plugged in to gain experience.

Reactions: Merlin4SC

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
The O-line wasn't the O-line. No Deidich with his center knowledge to complement Neilon's. That tackle spot was up in the air. No worries, I can see the line getting better as guys get plugged in to gain experience.
I say it isn't as improved as most thought including myself because ASU, The beavers, and Fresno St all have had good/great games against them. The holding penalties are starting to show up and even a few false starts. If not for CW's escapeabilities they would have given up quite a few sacks in those games. Now I'm not saying they aren't improved at all. They are a much better unit then the past couple of years. Just not as good as they appeared after the first two games.

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
The other thing is we unfortunately don't have players to plug in. We are fairly thin in OL talent. We all know we haven't had much success recruiting OL of late and our prior coaches didn't prepare them or use them properly. Coach Henson has done a great job with what he's got to work with.

Latest posts