Adam Schefter on Eric Bieniemy and USC

ScLaw88

Aug 31, 2021

His was the very first name I heard yesterday.

I think he would be an awesome head coach at USC. He checks off a lot of boxes:

1. He provides tons of credibility with regards to being able to develop kids for the NFL - he's coached there at a very high level.
2. He can bring into the program an outstanding and proven offense; one that gets everyone involved - WR's, TE's, RB's. Just awesome.
3. He would be SC football's first permanent black head coach; whether that means anything or not, I think it might have some many to some recruits and their families.
4. He comes from the L.A. area - he may not have done any recruiting here for sometime (or ever?) but that's why you keep Donte and hire Assistants that can recruit here - he is the frosting on the cake when it comes to recruiting.

He is young enough to bring a lot of personal juice, passion and fire to this program.

This would be a home run!

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021

1. He provides tons of credibility with regards to being able to develop kids for the NFL - he's coached there at a very high level.
2. He can bring into the program an outstanding and proven offense; one that gets everyone involved - WR's, TE's, RB's. Just awesome.
3. He would be SC football's first permanent black head coach; whether that means anything or not, I think it might have some many to some recruits and their families.
4. He comes from the L.A. area - he may not have done any recruiting here for sometime (or ever?) but that's why you keep Donte and hire Assistants that can recruit here - he is the frosting on the cake when it comes to recruiting.

He is young enough to bring a lot of personal juice, passion and fire to this program.

He’s never been a head coach on any level. That a big box unchecked.

Football702

Sep 4, 2021
Colin Cowherd made a good point on a clip I saw of his show. USC needs a Pro guy, not another college guy from small town Pennsylvania, Ohio, Minnesota etc.

Reactions: Hashtags

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
That's interesting, but if Folt/BOT wouldn't touch Urban Meyer because of the stuff in his past why would they give an offer to someone who has just as much dirt if not more? Hard for me to believe he's seriously being looked at by the powers that be.
Definitely would be some questions to answer there. You also have an interesting dynamic with Bohn and Bieniemy where Bohn let go of Jon Embree and his staff, including Bieniemy, when he was AD at Colorado.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
That's interesting, but if Folt/BOT wouldn't touch Urban Meyer because of the stuff in his past why would they give an offer to someone who has just as much dirt if not more? Hard for me to believe he's seriously being looked at by the powers that be.
What dirt exactly?

Reactions: uscvball

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Colin Cowherd made a good point on a clip I saw of his show. USC needs a Pro guy, not another college guy from small town Pennsylvania, Ohio, Minnesota etc.
Here's a list of main qualifications the guy needs for serious consideration (not all must be checked, but a majority will need to be checked off):

1. Credibility in coaching circles
2. Likeable personality
3. Some tie to California/West Coast/or at least some experience recruiting the area
4. Charisma
5. Head Coaching experience
6. NFL Coaching experience (as either HC/OC/DC)
7. Minimal to no dirty laundry (no sexual harassment, assault, etc. claims in the past)
8. Attentive to details
9. Excellent mentor to players and subordinate coaches
10. Wins/gets positive results on the field
11. Being a minority will help but not required

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
The problem with Eric is he'd probably be looking at NFL jobs by year 3. When the Chargers job comes open again with Justin Herbert at quarterback I think he'd be the first call if he was here.

Reactions: jjg4sc

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
What dirt exactly?
Got into trouble a couple times while a player at Colorado, once after a bar fight. Had his license suspended for traffic-related incidents. Banned from Colorado campus for a year in 1993. DUI in 2001. It's a lot when you run it all together. But the last item on the list happened 20 years ago.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Got into trouble a couple times while a player at Colorado, once after a bar fight. Had his license suspended for traffic-related incidents. Banned from Colorado campus for a year in 1993. DUI in 2001. It's a lot when you run it all together. But the last item on the list happened 20 years ago.
So mostly, personally stuff that happened in his early to late 20s? that's nothing, compared to other coaches. I thought it was going to be recent stuff. Thanks, Erik.

Anybody else having PTSD from former KC Chiefs Offensive Coordinators (Hackett)? 😆

You are spot on here, holy ****.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Here's a list of main qualifications the guy needs for serious consideration (not all must be checked, but a majority will need to be checked off):

2. Likeable personality
3. Some tie to California/West Coast/or at least some experience recruiting the area
4. Charisma
7. Minimal to no dirty laundry (no sexual harassment, assault, etc. claims in the past)
8. Attentive to details
If it wasn't for an overall losing record in the NFL, you'd be talking about Herm Edwards?

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
i remember him coaching at fucla. That’s all I need to know. Next candidate…..
Maurice Jones-Drew had 3,322 total yards and 33 touchdowns in three years under Bieniemy as running backs coach. Although I get your point. Would need a full wardrobe inspection to make sure no baby blue exists in there still if he ultimately winds up being the guy.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
Notice it's his opinion, not that of the school. Bienemey is a pro guy, I cant see him in a college bureaucratic setting, especially one that has a lot of credibility and trust to make up.
^^^^ This ^^^^

Great coach, not a college guy, not a "we need to repair our image in many different facets" guy.

jpsocal65

Aug 24, 2017
Would love this to happen but he will be offered more than one NFL head coaching job at the end of the season. I believe he will stay in the NFL regardless of what team he signs with.

Shrapper

Aug 30, 2021
It’s hard to judge EB because he and Mahomes are literally joined at the hip. Is he riding Mahomes coattail or did he legitimately make Mahomes what he is today?

Reactions: Hashtags

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
The zero HC experience flip flop on here are amazing. Everyone was clamoring for Venables who is also only a coordinator unless I’m mistaken. Granted, Eric B has had some baggage that others may not carry but he seems to be doing fine in KC. And let’s not jump to the “he hasn’t been hired in the NFL” mess. How many black coaches were hired at all. That’s a whole different issue there.

Trojan Jockstrap

Aug 24, 2017

A first time HC with half a dozen arrests on his sheet isn’t anywhere near a home run hire

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Previous head coach is no where near a sure thing. Most the top coaches today were promotions.

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017

2. Likeable personality
4. Charisma
8. Attentive to details
When will we give this racism up and live according to Dr King. And the problem is the left perpetuates it which demands a response form the rest of us. i will say it again and so would Dr King...Race Is Not A Qualification for anything

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Offensive coordinator for the best team in football would be his qualification, plus vast Pac12 experience and local grown. Maybe the best resume out there of coaches we have a shot at.

Latest posts