America is the Texas 8&4 of FIFA

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Was the USMNT a top 10 Preseason Power 5 or were they a Group of 5 team that overachieved until they hit the postseason?

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Don't you remember in high school when the most athletic and talented soccer players gave up football to focus on soccer since the seasons overlapped? Similar to cricket and baseball.

^ this

Yep, when America cares about soccer the world will know

Reactions: Dawgg

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
I'd say the US is the North Carolina football of World Soccer.

We've got the resources, talent base, fan support, etc but we just care about other sports more and thus never really go all in to win.

We're not bad. We're a respectable bowl team, but our results just don't reflect the potential.

We do some things well but just lack playmakers. The 3 goals by the Netherlands today were 3 goals that I don't think our strikers have the quality to complete. Our first touches in the box are trash. Stone feet.

If conferences like the SEC would implement Men's soccer, I think the odds of our best athletes playing the sport would increase.

The US has the highest youth participation in soccer in the world. So, the key to the US taking the next step is: 1. training kids at higher level at a younger age, and 2. Getting all those youth to stick with the sport from age 8-15. The dream of a college scholarship could help that transition.

Once their at 15, the best players will have separated themselves.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I'd say the US is the North Carolina football of World Soccer.

We've got the resources, talent base, fan support, etc but we just care about other sports more and thus never really go all in to win.

We're not bad. We're a respectable bowl team, but our results just don't reflect the potential.

We do some things well but just lack playmakers. The 3 goals by the Netherlands today were 3 goals that I don't think our strikers have the quality to complete. Our first touches in the box are trash. Stone feet.

If conferences like the SEC would implement Men's soccer, I think the odds of our best athletes playing the sport would increase.

The US has the highest youth participation in soccer in the world. So, the key to the US taking the next step is: 1. training kids at higher level at a younger age, and 2. Getting all those youth to stick with the sport from age 8-15. The dream of a college scholarship could help that transition.

Once their at 15, the best players will have separated themselves.

I see it a little differently. If the exact same guys on the NFL 1st Team All Pro Team (excluding OL&DL) grew up playing as much soccer as the other WC team members we'd be #1 in the world.

I'm thinking Micah Parsons or Josh Allen might be pretty hard to handle if they grew up playing soccer.

patdog

May 28, 2007
A big problem with US soccer is how much it cost to be part of elite soccer. $60k+/year to be on the elite teams. Until good coaching/development avenues are more accessible, we’ll always be mediocre.
And many of those are playing too many games and not practicing enough. It’s getting better though. The MLS development program is starting to produce results.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Tell me I’m wrong.
The top athletes in Texas try to play a lot of sports first but not soccer. Friday night lights have goalposts, not netted goals. The very top athletes in the United States do not play on our soccer team. The top athletes play football basketball, baseball hockey, etc. in this country. They usually don't start with and see what they can do at soccer, then when they don't make the team, go on to football or another sport.

Soccer is changed in this country and has become bigger than it was when I was a kid. We would laugh if someone asked us about playing soccer while we were putting on our helmets and shoulder pads because we had no frame of reference for that sport.

The sport is not on the same level of money or interest as with the other countries

Reactions: HRMSU

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I see it a little differently. If the exact same guys on the NFL 1st Team All Pro Team (excluding OL&DL) grew up playing as much soccer as the other WC team members we'd be #1 in the world.

I'm thinking Micah Parsons or Josh Allen might be pretty hard to handle if they grew up playing soccer.
Yeah, I had the same idea. Imagine taking our top players from football, basketball, and baseball. Have them play soccer their entire lives and throw them on the pitch and see what happens.

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022

Yes.

Parson & Allen would be like Virgil Van Dyke/defenders but guys like Tyreek Hill, Darren Sproles, Cee Dee Lamb, Odell Beckham, etc would be the best players in the world as strikers.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Some State fans dissing soccer like they have room to talk. "As the Assistant Landscaper for Beautification at Golden Pines Trailer Park and Associate Supervisor of Feral Kid Management I'd like everyone to know that I think soccer sucks"

• Sad
Reactions: III.sixpack

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Tell me you don’t know anything about international soccer without telling me you don’t know anything about international soccer.

Tell me you like being told things without being told them without telling me you like being told things without being told them.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Tell me I’m wrong.
Think of it this way... There are 130 D1 football teams. So the number of defensive backs, running backs and receivers is probably about ~4,000. Then throw in a 17-ton of point guards and short stops.

Let those 10,000 kids grow up honing their footwork, ball handling and passing skills and see where we'd be.

The World Cup would be the USA Invitational.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You are wrong. We do not have anywhere near the soccer talent that the better soccer nations do. Those are their very best athletes. Our very best do not play soccer.

Today is a good example of that. Their team looked like a bunch of linebackers playing soccer. Their back line was huge.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
By amount of resources devoted to the sport, we’re more like UTEP.
Could you clarify your point here? I may be thinking you're saying the opposite of what you really mean.

Are you saying the US national team is underperforming for the money spent or that as a percentage of a total country's spending on sports, the US is way behind other countries?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Think of it this way... There are 130 D1 football teams. So the number of defensive backs, running backs and receivers is probably about ~4,000. Then throw in a 17-ton of point guards and short stops.

Let those 10,000 kids grow up honing their footwork, ball handling and passing skills and see where we'd be.

The World Cup would be the USA Invitational.
It wouldn't be quite that dominate, but we would absolutely be a first rank nation. We would also have won the WC several times by now.
Today is a good example of that. Their team looked like a bunch of linebackers playing soccer. Their back line was huge.
Van Dyke is the best center back in the world.

Reactions: III.sixpack

ugabully

Feb 10, 2012
Some State fans dissing soccer like they have room to talk. "As the Assistant Landscaper for Beautification at Golden Pines Trailer Park and Associate Supervisor of Feral Kid Management I'd like everyone to know that I think soccer sucks"
What?

Reactions: Podgy

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Yes.

Parson & Allen would be like Virgil Van Dyke/defenders but guys like Tyreek Hill, Darren Sproles, Cee Dee Lamb, Odell Beckham, etc would be the best players in the world as strikers.

And imagine Parsons as your defender with his body control and bend to go with his 4.39 speed!

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Great video on America’s potential in the world cup. If we cared more, we’d dominate

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
What do we call our Baseball Champions?
World Series Champions
What do we call our Football Champions?
Super Bowl Champions and National Champions
What do we call our Basketball Champions?
NBA Champions and National Champions

My point. To Americans, being a National Champion means as much as being a World Champion to Soccer National Teams in Europe.

if The Netherlands beats France or Argentina that will mean a hell of a lot more to them than beating the US.

World Sports Competitions have become political bragging events and they are a point of pride for Patriots. What was the Cup Ratings during the USA matches this week? How did they compare to Soap Opera Ratings this past week?