Aranda speaks to job openings…

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
So, that means he's coming. Sweet.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Exactly what one would expect he would say, whether he is attracted to either position (USC or LSU) or not. Nothing any of these candidates says means squat until after the season is over.
Exactly, why would he reveal that he's interested? why do reporters ask these pointless questions? he's got Texas, TCU and Oklahoma to worry about far more.

So, that means he's coming. Sweet.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line
the grinch GIF

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
My take: He hasn’t been contacted about either job and knows at this point that he probably won’t be.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
My take: He hasn’t been contacted about either job and knows at this point that he probably won’t be.
I mean if Bohn and Sosna are as professional as they seem to be. They haven't contacted anyone seriously in the middle of the season. Without strict permission.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
I mean if Bohn and Sosna are as professional as they seem to be. They haven't contacted anyone seriously in the middle of the season. Without strict permission.
The job has been vacant for six weeks and Bohn isn’t going to wait another six weeks before starting the interview process. Otherwise, why make a change after Week 2? Also, I’m not sure he needs permission. Brady Hoke denied for the last month of the 2010 season that he was going to Michigan. Two days after San Diego State’s last game he was in Ann Arbor introduced as the Wolverines new coach. Stuff happens behind the scenes, which is exactly where Bohn has been operating since Helton got canned.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The job has been vacant for six weeks and Bohn isn’t going to wait another six weeks before starting the interview process. Otherwise, why make a change after Week 2? Also, I’m not sure he needs permission. Brady Hoke denied for the last month of the 2010 season that he was going to Michigan. Two days after San Diego State’s last game he was in Ann Arbor introduced as the Wolverines new coach. Stuff happens behind the scenes, which is exactly where Bohn has been operating since Helton got canned.
I'll give you that. Still any press coaches do in regards to the topic won't give us any real feel for what's happening. Regardless of their words and there's still six weeks to go, as you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: J4SC75

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
He’s gonna coach really hard against Texas. The question he was thinking 🤔 about was how do I keep this going?

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
It’s always a discussion with an agent to assess interest. No direct contact with the coach.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Hoke was the target for Michigan. They reached out to Hoke’s agent who talked with Hoke. Hoke was interested and as soon as SDSU finishes the season he is invited to interview. Hoke tells SDSU, goes for interview, and does well/accepts the job. Same process will happen at SC or better put is happening. I don’t expect movement until after BYU.

Why wait after firing Helton after second game? Because you know you have a coach who hasn’t improved and that the team has a better chance to win without him. You also make it known that you have a job available early for candidates to consider and to make the statement you want excellence. I am sure many, like posters on this site, questioned SC’s commitment to football.

Last edited:

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
Exactly what one would expect he would say, whether he is attracted to either position (USC or LSU) or not. Nothing any of these candidates says means squat until after the season is over.
Fickel was pretty unequivocal that he doesn't want to go anywhere - buyout is $20M, Caruso won't want to do that. Franklin on the other end of the spectrum is becoming like the plague with his agent banging on us all the time. Even with Fisher [unless he brings Chow back] and Tomlin in the mix, I still think the best idea would be to go after Aranda if we can get a real X&O's genius in here.

SC93er

Aug 24, 2017
Fickel was pretty unequivocal that he doesn't want to go anywhere - buyout is $20M, Caruso won't want to do that. Franklin on the other end of the spectrum is becoming like the plague with his agent banging on us all the time. Even with Fisher [unless he brings Chow back] and Tomlin in the mix, I still think the best idea would be to go after Aranda if we can get a real X&O's genius in here.
I’m for Aranda too, as I would prefer a defense-minded coach...or any coach who views our offensive and defensive lines as more than an afterthought. 🤯

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017

He's coming.

I kid - I know I said that about Fickell after his statement ;) but Aranda's especially TOTALLY leaves the door open.

Also - a guy who can speak with that kind of thoughtfulness and circumspection, yet teaches and practices "punch 'em in the mouth" football is exactly who I want in a coach.

Trojans2015

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone here comment on Jeff Grimes, the Baylor OC? I know he coached a good BYU offense last year and has a background as an OL coach, but I don't know much about him and was curious, given that Aranda is a defensive-minded guy the OC would be a very important hire. If Aranda came here and didn't bring Grimes, he could always hit up his old roommate Tom Herman to see if he'd be interested. It didn't work out for him as a HC at Texas but he was a great OC for Ohio State under Meyer.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Chicagotrojan

Sep 15, 2018
I'll say this...much more likely he comes to SC than LSU. I can't see him taking his old boss' job unless Coach O gives Aranda his blessing.

Aranda should be on Bohn's top 5 list. Really coaching experience at Power 5 (last 9 years) and one of the most reputable D coordinators anywhere with championship pedigree. He's from the area and even started out coaching both HS and at the collegiate level in California.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Can anyone here comment on Jeff Grimes, the Baylor OC? I know he coached a good BYU offense last year and has a background as an OL coach, but I don't know much about him and was curious, given that Aranda is a defensive-minded guy the OC would be a very important hire. If Aranda came here and didn't bring Grimes, he could always hit up his old roommate Tom Herman to see if he'd be interested. It didn't work out for him as a HC at Texas but he was a great OC for Ohio State under Meyer.

Jeff Grimes serves as Baylor's offensive coordinator and tight end coach. He joined Dave Aranda's staff in January 2021. A 28-year coaching veteran, Grimes, who led the BYU offense from 2018-20, was named a finalist for the 2020 Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.​
A native of Garland, Texas, Grimes directed a high-powered offense at BYU in 2020 that finished its season ranked in the top 15 in 10 different statistical categories including scoring (3rd, 43.5 ppg), total offense (7th, 522.2 ypg) and passing offense (8th, 332.1 ppg).
The 2020 Cougars tied for the national lead in yards per play at 7.84, and led all of FBS in plays of 30 or more yards with 45. Overall, BYU scored 40 or more points nine times in 12 games.​
Under Grimes’ leadership, BYU quarterback Zach Wilson was named a finalist for the Heisman Trophy and Manning Award, as well as a semifinalist for the Walter Camp Player of the Year, the Maxwell Award and the Davey O’Brien Award. In 2020, Wilson passed for 3,692 yards, 33 touchdowns and posted a 196.4 passing efficiency. He finished the year ranked in the top 10 nationally in 11 offensive categories.
Led by All-American offensive lineman Brady Christensen, the BYU offensive line allowed only 12 sacks in 12 games, the eighth-best per game average in the country, and helped the Cougars to the fourth-most rushing touchdowns nationally with 34. Running back Tyler Allgeier rushed for 1,130 yards, the ninth-best total in BYU history and the eighth-best total by a FBS player for the season.
Overall, BYU had four offensive players named to All-America teams in 2020, including Wilson, Christensen, and wide receiver Dax Milne. Additionally, freshman tight end Isaac Rex earned Freshman All-America honors from The Athletic. Wilson (1st round, No. 3 overall, New York Jets), Christensen (3rd round, Carolina) and Milne (7th round, Washington) were each selected in the 2021 NFL Draft.​
In addition to his time as a coordinator, Grimes has extensive experience as one of the country’s top offensive line coaches. Since 2000, 17 offensive linemen that played under Grimes have been selected in the NFL Draft including three first rounders (Levi Jones, Nate Solder and Greg Robinson).
He served as offensive line coach and run game coordinator at LSU from 2014-17. While in Baton Rouge, Grimes had three of his players selected in the NFL Draft to go along with nine earn All-SEC honors and four be selected as All-Americans (La’el Collins, Vadal Alexander, Ethan Pocic and Will Clapp).​
LSU's offensive line helped pave the way for four consecutive 1,000-yard rushers in each of Grimes’ four seasons. In 49 games as LSU's offensive line coach and run game coordinator, the Tigers had at least one running back reach the 100-yard rushing mark 34 times.​

He coached Zach Wilson into being a Heisman candidate and number #2 NFL draft pick and knows Jaxson Dart well. And is about to have two one-thousand yard rushers at BYU and Baylor. The guy's got an amazing track record, he'd have no problem teaching and scheming to his offensive strengths, in the QB room or the O-line room.

I had the same thought if Grimes stays at Baylor, Aranda could always call up Herman.

He's coming.

I kid - I know I said that about Fickell after his statement ;) but Aranda's especially TOTALLY leaves the door open.

Also - a guy who can speak with that kind of thoughtfulness and circumspection, yet teaches and practices "punch 'em in the mouth" football is exactly who I want in a coach.

He really does, there's no outright refusal in that video at all.

I'll say this...much more likely he comes to SC than LSU. I can't see him taking his old boss' job unless Coach O gives Aranda his blessing.

Aranda should be on Bohn's top 5 list. Really coaching experience at Power 5 (last 9 years) and one of the most reputable D coordinators anywhere with championship pedigree. He's from the area and even started out coaching both HS and at the collegiate level in California.
I mean he's perfect for the job on paper and I don't see anyone else on the list that matches his experience overall as a upcoming head coach and he's from USC's own backyard. Going back to LSU doesn't make much sense, since he left to coach at Baylor in order to be closer to home in CA.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting, I’d never heard Aranda speak before. He gives a thoughtful answer without saying whether or not he’d be interested in USC.
Nor did he deny being interested and didn't mention Baylor until the end.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017

Sounds true…..plus Coach O just won an NC, while Aranda was there…..so the added expectation of duplicating that would be there from his “understudy”.

It would be like Kiffin replacing Carro-…..well, you get it 😰

Latest posts