Best Fried Chicken šŸ— in Los Angeles?

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
I've come to really like Korean fried chicken, specifically the "BBQ Chicken" franchise chain.

I used to think Roscoe's was the best, but the last time I was there it was horrible.

Popeye's is really good for a large chain.

Pioneer chicken back in the day was my favorite, because (IIRC) they had a Tuesday special where you got 8 pieces for like $0.99 or something - which even my cheapskate dad didn't mind getting.

I tried Roscoeā€™s once, because of all the hype for it. I wonā€™t be going back. Even KFC has better chicken, according to my taste buds.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
I tried Roscoeā€™s once, because of all the hype for it. I wonā€™t be going back. Even KFC has better chicken, according to my taste buds.

Well, the first time I experienced Roscoe's, I was in heaven. Perhaps with my immature 19 year old taste buds, and being used to a typical college kid diet of Top Ramen, Vienna Sausage, Taco Bell, and other such fine cuisine - it was like Ambrosia. But seriously - it was certainly better than KFC or other chain type chicken places (no Cane's or Popeyes back then) - and for most of my youth it was my go-to place when I had a hankering for fried chicken. But the last time I went (maybe about 6 months ago) it was bland, tasteless, unappetizing - like a Graham Harrell offense.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020
Well, the first time I experienced Roscoe's, I was in heaven. Perhaps with my immature 19 year old taste buds, and being used to a typical college kid diet of Top Ramen, Vienna Sausage, Taco Bell, and other such fine cuisine - it was like Ambrosia. But seriously - it was certainly better than KFC or other chain type chicken places (no Cane's or Popeyes back then) - and for most of my youth it was my go-to place when I had a hankering for fried chicken. But the last time I went (maybe about 6 months ago) it was bland, tasteless, unappetizing - like a Graham Harrell offense.

I guess I missed it when it was good.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I've come to really like Korean fried chicken, specifically the "BBQ Chicken" franchise chain.

I used to think Roscoe's was the best, but the last time I was there it was horrible.

Popeye's is really good for a large chain.

Pioneer chicken back in the day was my favorite, because (IIRC) they had a Tuesday special where you got 8 pieces for like $0.99 or something - which even my cheapskate dad didn't mind getting.
Korean spicy fried chicken is by far my favorite, but Iā€™ve never found anyone who makes it like K&K BBQ in Kailua, HI. They only have wings on the menu but if you ask for butterflied thighs, theyā€™ll do it for you. Broke da mouth good!!!!

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
I am about 20 minutes away from Howlin Rays and Gusā€™sā€” right in between. Korea Town is about 15 minutes. Albertsons is two blocks away.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
What location are you guys going to? I havent had been at Roscoe's in years, but the Pasadena location was always my favorite.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
What location are you guys going to? I havent had been at Roscoe's in years, but the Pasadena location was always my favorite.

The one I went to recently was the Long Beach location.

I used to (sort of) frequent the one in Pico.

The Anaheim location takes the gold medal for the worst all-time chicken I've ever eaten, which is saying something. If the owners of the Roscoe's chain wanted a showcase store to ensure that nobody ever eats at their restaurant again, Anaheim should win the award. Horrible food, long lines, surly workers, surly customers, generally crappy atmosphere - it's almost like watching a USC game in person.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017

The Anaheim location takes the gold medal for the worst all-time chicken I've ever eaten, which is saying something. If the owners of the Roscoe's chain wanted a showcase store to ensure that nobody ever eats at their restaurant again, Anaheim should win the award. Horrible food, long lines, surly workers, surly customers, generally crappy atmosphere - it's almost like watching a USC game in person.
I've been to the Long Beach location. That was the largest location of theirs I've been to. Place was kind of empty and the service was forgettable. Food was good. I guess that's all that matters.

Reactions: Cheerkristy

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Fried chicken - Chinese style. Itā€™s fried without batter making it more light and airy and comes with shrimp chips. Order the whole rather than the half chicken at Won Kok restaurant in LA Chinatown near Philippe (Olvera Street).
Jah Gee Gai is the best. Won Kok is old school Chinese. Hop Li in C-Town also has a good one. So far a few places have survived but many of the old school places are no longer. Chinese style fried chicken is a staple that I order when out with those who are a bit squeamish about "real" Chinese food. I make sure to remove the head off the plate before they freak out.

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018

Had the same experience at that location.

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
When I balked at prices at WingStop the girl told me "there's a chicken shortage". Hahahahaha. Peeps are gouging and using the Wuhan as an excuse for all kinds of bad behavior, IMO.
I don't know about a chicken shortage but there did appear to be a chicken wing shortage for over a year. About a month ago was the first time I've seen fresh chicken wings at the markets near me. Until then, they only had frozen ones.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I don't know about a chicken shortage but there did appear to be a chicken wing shortage for over a year. About a month ago was the first time I've seen fresh chicken wings at the markets near me. Until then, they only had frozen ones.
Where are you? Generally, I mean.

shane2020

Jan 23, 2020

Anaheim. Thatā€™s the one I went to. Never again.

in2nation

Aug 24, 2017
Hey jaybird, thanks for starting these food threads. I havenā€™t lived in the LA area since the 80s and other than Tommyā€™s, I have no idea where to eat when we visit. Yelp comes through most times, but the boardā€™s advice is way better. Thanks.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Korean spicy fried chicken is by far my favorite, but Iā€™ve never found anyone who makes it like K&K BBQ in Kailua, HI. They only have wings on the menu but if you ask for butterflied thighs, theyā€™ll do it for you. Broke da mouth good!!!!
Star Noodle on Maui has excellent chicken wangs and man theyā€™re gigantic . Korean fried chix is up there . In Gardena a place called Chon-Dak will fix you. Others in LA are Roscoes, Popeyes, Howlin Rays (Postmates or DoorDash only Bc I wonā€™t wait), most places that have good Ramen or izakaya have good chicken karaage, and Shakeys . Donā€™t forget your mojos.

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
SHAD New Cali Catering run by ā€œel chefeā€ is a major sleeper for best Cajun fried chix . Heā€™s from Compton and has a truck he parks regularly around Gardena and Compton areas. Heā€™s a real chef that went to Cordon Bleu and highly recommend his truck for some of the crispiest chix in LA.

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Shakeys . Donā€™t forget your mojos.
If you're in LA and around Downey, there's a place called Baby Bros. pizza on Lakewood Blvd. whose potatoes blow Shakey's away. They are so freakin good. The pizza and chicken wings are legit too

Reactions: 03burrito

BraceDoctor

Aug 24, 2017
Jah Gee Gai is the best. Won Kok is old school Chinese. Hop Li in C-Town also has a good one. So far a few places have survived but many of the old school places are no longer. Chinese style fried chicken is a staple that I order when out with those who are a bit squeamish about "real" Chinese food. I make sure to remove the head off the plate before they freak out.
Jade Wok has the best homemade tofu and is one block from Hop Li. Zen Mei Bistro is across the street from Hop Li and is also old Chinese. Both are mom and pop businesses, and basically have the same menu as Hop Li except slightly lower prices.

Won Kok has the best beef with tofu dish. All three have good beef brisket with noodle and won ton soup. Just ask for beef stew only with bok choy and hold the tendon (which is actually more expensive) part of the stew.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Golden Bird
Where is Golden Bird?

I donā€™t even know if Golden Bird is still in existence. There and Pioneer Chicken were flashbacks from youth. There and Billā€™s Chicken in Pasadena on those late nights. šŸ˜‚

I think there are still some L.A. locations. Pretty sure the one we went to 40-50 years ago was on Western Ave., south of USC. There was also one on Crenshaw Blvd. in the Baldwin Hills or mid-Wilshire area.

Parents just happened to say one recently opened up in Vegas somewhereā€¦..

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Jade Wok has the best homemade tofu and is one block from Hop Li. Zen Mei Bistro is across the street from Hop Li and is also old Chinese. Both are mom and pop businesses, and basically have the same menu as Hop Li except slightly lower prices.

Won Kok has the best beef with tofu dish. All three have good beef brisket with noodle and won ton soup. Just ask for beef stew only with bok choy and hold the tendon (which is actually more expensive) part of the stew.
We use to call Zen Mei "Snoopy's" because of the Snoopy stickers they had along the mirrors on the walls. Beef stew with wonton noodle soup was my fave at Snoopy's. That plus we would share a side of roast duck. This was back in the 80s during my high school and college days when I roamed the streets of Chinatown during the weekends.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
Hey guys, new here. Great to be on board. Don't laugh but Jollibee has great fried chicken.
Jollibee is a bit like KFC - a bit too oily for my liking, but I do like their food overall. Their Ube pies (when you can get them) are superb, and one simply isn't allowed to leave the premises unless you get a Halo-Halo.

Reactions: SGVFlip

SGVFlip

Nov 13, 2017
Pioneer still have that one in Bell Garden..

Church's Chicken I like better than Popeyes..

If you guys ever in SGV/Covina area, try Old World Deli's Broasted Chicken....a lil pricey, but oh so good....

Last edited:

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
Now that I know where to go for pastrami.
- Nashville fried chicken - Howlin Rays
- classic fried - Gus fried chicken
- honorable mention - honey kettle
I donā€™t even know if Golden Bird is still in existence. There and Pioneer Chicken were flashbacks from youth. There and Billā€™s Chicken in Pasadena on those late nights. šŸ˜‚
thereā€™s a Golden bird off of 83rd and western. Still as good as it used to be. It be on my list if there were more locations

FIGHTON!

Aug 24, 2017
Jacks diner Whittier.

Great diner, solid fried chicken.

Fight on! Beat the Irish! Fight on!

Latest posts