PIAA Football Playoff Thread

Iionscott

Oct 6, 2021
Can't stand that St Joe's prep is in the champ game almost every year. Still think they should not be permitted in the PIAA playoffs. When Jon Runyan's kid won PA Player of the Year was the worst. The Runyan's live in Southern New Jersey(and did at that time too). The kid was not a PA resident and should not have been permitted to participate in PA Sports. Now he plays for the Packers.
And with John Reid

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Anyone else watch the Imhotep/PT game and come away with the impression that White looked like a pretty average player, and the Wylie although he played well does not have the size to be an impact LB for PSU?? Not meaning to be too harsh, but shouldn't top recruits have more of an impact in a high school game?

I remember watching Daequan Hardy play for Penn Hills in the PIAA playoffs and dominating the game. Sure a great player on offense seems to show up more, but the two top defenders for Imhotep sure did not do much to stand out.......... And Rahmir Stewart, the 2023 Safety, didn't look to have the size to be an impact B10 Safety, and didn't have a great impact on the game either. And if these 3 players are stand out athletes why weren't they utilized on offense, especially in a championship game where their team was up against a foe that matched up well with them?

The best player on the field looked to be the RB from Penn Trafford, who I believe also played some and made plays on defense. Was it said that he is committed to Wisconsin?

Last edited:

Grass

Oct 28, 2021
Anyone else watch the Imhotep/PT game and come away with the impression that White looked like a pretty average player, and the Wylie although he played well does not have the size to be an impact LB for PSU?? Not meaning to be too harsh, but shouldn't top recruits have more of an impact in a high school game?

I remember watching Daequan Hardy play for Penn Hills in the PIAA playoffs and dominating the game. Sure a great player on offense seems to show up more, but the two top defenders for Imhotep sure did not do much to stand out.......... And Rahmir Stewart, the 2023 Safety, didn't look to have the size to be an impact B10 Safety, and didn't have a great impact on the game either.

The best player on the field looked to be the RB from Penn Trafford, who I believe also played some and made plays on defense. Was it said that he is committed to Wisconsin?
Didn't watch the game, but I watched Minkah Fitzpatrick play on ESPN when he was in high school and I couldn't believe he was a 5* recruit. Shows you how much I know.

FK3JM

Oct 31, 2021

I remember watching Daequan Hardy play for Penn Hills in the PIAA playoffs and dominating the game. Sure a great player on offense seems to show up more, but the two top defenders for Imhotep sure did not do much to stand out.......... And Rahmir Stewart, the 2023 Safety, didn't look to have the size to be an impact B10 Safety, and didn't have a great impact on the game either. And if these 3 players are stand out athletes why weren't they utilized on offense, especially in a championship game where their team was up against a foe that matched up well with them?

I didn’t see the game, but regarding Wylie — I’d rather have a 6’1” 220 pound linebacker who knows how to tackle vs a 6’3” 245 pounds of throwing shoulders.

B1G running backs are bruisers though you are right. Ideally they have both.

Reactions: Grass

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Central Valley shuts out Wyomissing 7-0. From what I saw CV dominated Wyomissing, with the CV running back, Landon Alexander, gaining over 200 yards rushing. Another win for the WPIAL.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
St. Joe's vs Mt. Lebanon starting shortly. Former PSU DL Brandon Noble with the color commentary. Looks pretty straggly with the Unabomber type beard and hair, :oops: but did a decent job during the Central Valley game.

Reactions: grinagrin

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
St Joe's took the opening KO down for a TD on a couple big plays. But Lebo scored on their first play, a pass 80+ yards with Trotter trying to catch up unsuccessfully. Then after a SJ fumble, Lebo scored in 2 more plays. 3 plays and 2 TD's.

So far Lebo's defensive front 7 is outplaying the SJ front 7 that includes 2 of PA's top 10 recruits. As well as the big Safety Nelson. Still time in the 1st quarter.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
St Joe's took the opening KO down for a TD on a couple big plays. But Lebo scored on their first play, a pass 80+ yards with Trotter trying to catch up unsuccessfully. Then after a SJ fumble, Lebo scored in 2 more plays. 3 plays and 2 TD's.

So far Lebo's defensive front 7 is outplaying the SJ front 7 that includes 2 top PA's top 10 recruits. Still time in the 1st quarter.
I expect Mt. Lebanon to win. This is a really young St. Joseph's Prep team and not one of their better teams.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
21-7 Lebo. I believe Trotter came on a blitz on 3rd and 3 from the 6 and the Lebo QB threw a pass over the blitz to his right for an easy TD.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Now 21-14

SJ with a nice drive, mixing up their play calling and eating up a lot of the 2nd quarter....

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Lebo with a decent drive that stalled. SJ at their 32 with 2:11 to go in the half

SJ's with a nice drive in their 2 minute offense. Lebo secondary left some receivers wide open for significant gains......
But ML made a stand when SJ had first and goal from the 5 and held SJ to a field goal attempt which they missed.
21-14 Lebo at the half.

Wow, then a couple "analysts" immediately make excuses for SJ saying they are young. Might want to balance that with the fact they recruit to their prep school whereas the majority of teams they play against actually can only use players that live in their school district. Maybe they should recruit some older D1 players from California and fly them in to make sure they win...... The PIAA rules many players ineligible when players actually move into another district if they believe it is for athletic intent, but lets "prep schools" recruit from allover as well as other states? How does that make sense?

Anyway, a very good game so far.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021
Lebo with a decent drive that stalled. SJ at their 32 with 2:11 to go in the half

SJ's with a nice drive in their 2 minute offense. Lebo secondary left some receivers wide open for significant gains......
But ML made a stand when SJ had first and goal from the 5 and held SJ to a field goal attempt which they missed.
21-14 Lebo at the half.

Wow, then a couple "analysts" immediately make excuses for SJ saying they are young. Might want to balance that with the fact they recruit to their prep school whereas the majority of teams they play against actually can only use players that live in their school district. And the PIAA rules lots of players ineligible when players actually move into another district if they believe it is for athletic intent......

Anyway, a very good game so far.
True. They are young. They do also recruit. No surprise that Mount Lebanon is winning against this St. Joe's Prep team. They aren't as formidable as some of their previous teams. I hope that Mt. Lebanon can hang on for the win.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Back and forth so far in the 3rd quarter.
ML took KO and then fumbled.
Then ML intercepted a tipped pass.
Then after a ML punt, and a chunk play by SJ, ML intercepted SJ again, but punted after a sack on 3rd down.

After ML CB could not hold onto an out pattern pass that he would have taken to the house, SJ kicks a FG. 21-17, with 1:55 to go in 3rd.
ML turns it over on downs in SJ territory, and then SJ punts with ML returning the punt about 25 yards to the SJ 25. And then ML just pounds the running game to take it in for a TD with 4:46 to go in the game. 28-17 ML.

ML holds SJ on downs, after a couple of sacks. Then ML takes it in on the ground to make it 35-17, with over 3 minutes remaining.

Final Score: 35-17 Mt Lebanon.

In scores of other games, the Pens are up 1-0 on the Ducks after 2 periods.....

Last edited:

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021

Little disappointed in Wylie’s play too. However, he was recruited as a LB and played DE last night.

Reactions: GregInPitt

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021

So far Lebo's defensive front 7 is outplaying the SJ front 7 that includes 2 top PA's top 10 recruits. As well as the big Safety Nelson. Still time in the 1st quarter.
Trotter was the best player on the St Joe’s team. Would look great in blue and white.

GregInPitt

Oct 13, 2021
Little disappointed in Wylie’s play too. However, he was recruited as a LB and played DE last night.
Don't know if you saw when White and Wylie were standing side by side on the field. White has a big long frame and apparently is very athletic, although he wasn't a game changer in that game. But Wylie looked pretty small, especially compared with White. No way he's playing DE in the B10 (I know, PSU is recruiting him as a LB), and he looks like he'll need a good bit of time in the S&C program to look like a PSU LB.

Reactions: gslachta

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Don't know if you saw when White and Wylie were standing side by side on the field. White has a big long frame and apparently is very athletic, although he wasn't a game changer in that game. But Wylie looked pretty small, especially compared with White. No way he's playing DE in the B10 (I know, PSU is recruiting him as a LB), and he looks like he'll need a good bit of time in the S&C program to look like a PSU LB.
Oh I agree 100%. Just pointing out that he played a different position last night. Clearly has a lot of work ahead of him.