Bohn handling of coaching situation

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
So Bohn goes through an entire off-season with a football coach who is on life-support. That includes both the early and regular signing days, spring practice and fall camp. Coach is then fired only two games into the season. Why didn’t Bohn just cut his losses, get rid of Helton last December and bring in a proven head coach to begin the rebuiding process? Why put the players and fans through another season of agony? Just speculation, but I wonder if the coach Bohn really wanted in December wasn’t available. Maybe the timing just wasn’t right for some reason? Otherwise, the way this is playing out makes no sense. And I would like to believe that Bohn is smarter than that. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
So Bohn goes through an entire off-season with a football coach who is on life-support. That includes both the early and regular signing days, spring practice and fall camp. Coach is then fired only two games into the season. Why didn’t Bohn just cut his losses, get rid of Helton last December and bring in a proven head coach to begin the rebuiding process? Why put the players and fans through another season of agony? Just speculation, but I wonder if the coach Bohn really wanted in December wasn’t available. Maybe the timing just wasn’t right for some reason? Otherwise, the way this is playing out makes no sense. And I would like to believe that Bohn is smarter than that. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Because Bohn is not entirely his own man and he can only do what his boss lets him do. Personally, I could not work in that type of environment but perhaps he is a different breed of cat and believes he can work through it and come out on the other side smelling like a rose. Remember, according to one source, they went through a butt load of candidates before they could find one like Bohn willing to work under those conditions.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
He came on in late 2019 and had to navigate a covid season. Chillax. There were dead bodies in the AD office and HH in general to fix. It was a huge mess.

Our football program is the next mess that needs to be fixed.

Last edited:

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
If you are around USC athletics (put football aside) and you’ll see a lot of great things. I understand football is the focus and it’s a sore point. It’ll get fixed.
Track is his only decision and that wasn’t much of a choice. Baseball? Great? Basketball has nothing to do with Bohn.

Football drives the financial bus and it’s a dumpster fire in large part to Bohn’s decision to keep Helton for two years. I get the option in year 1 to assess the matter (frankly a ridiculous option by any measure) but keeping Helton another year was shear incompetence.

• Love
Reactions: USCSAE and big_pete

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Oh if only that were feasible. But it ain't. Pete loves the No Fun League. But if Saban, just turning 70, is a go for the next five or more seasons at Bama, King Pete could do the same at USC. But he doesn't WANT this to happen, obviously. How come he so disingenuously called the No Fun League the, well, No Fun League for so long a spell? He's won one title there, sort of long ago. You'd think he'd be ripe for a change, but nope, not him. Loves it right where he is.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
That’s another possibility. But then Bohn had to convince Folt to fire Helton two games into the season.
There’s a number of different possibilities, but I suspect that Folt tied Bohn’s hands since he’s been here, but finally allowed him to cut Helton loose, with some persuading by Bohn, for the good of USC football.

I have no inside info to back that up, it’s just what I suspect based on how things played out,

tjfan001

Aug 24, 2017
If you are around USC athletics (put football aside) and you’ll see a lot of great things. I understand football is the focus and it’s a sore point. It’ll get fixed.
Other than women's beach volleyball and women's water polo, what are other great things on the campus? Women's volleyball is a mess, so is baseball. The only coach I know that Bohn replaced was the women's basketball coach.

• Love
Reactions: Troy70 and big_pete

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
Urban was right around the corner twiddling his thumbs for a year. They deemed him as toxic…cool

Ok. Just make sure to bring in another coach, just as good as Urban, that’s not nuclear.

TrojanHoss

Aug 24, 2017
Because Bohn is not entirely his own man and he can only do what his boss lets him do. Personally, I could not work in that type of environment but perhaps he is a different breed of cat and believes he can work through it and come out on the other side smelling like a rose. Remember, according to one source, they went through a butt load of candidates before they could find one like Bohn willing to work under those conditions.
Every AD at every university works under a similar structure. None of them have complete autonomy. If the president says we’re not eating that much of a contract, it doesn’t happen. This is on Swann, not Bohn.

Bilbo.usc

Jan 9, 2020
there is no other Urban Meyer around . Bohn either does not know what he is doing or is a lackey for his bosses
Either way we lose ...
Helton’s ineptitude far worse than the original draconian sanctions
With current people in charge of the university football is dead ..

• Love
Reactions: USCSAE and big_pete

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
There’s a number of different possibilities, but I suspect that Folt tied Bohn’s hands since he’s been here, but finally allowed him to cut Helton loose, with some persuading by Bohn, for the good of USC football.

I have no inside info to back that up, it’s just what I suspect based on how things played out,
Yet, Bohn took the job with that understanding? Bullsheet.

• Love
Reactions: big_pete

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Yet, Bohn took the job with that understanding? Bullsheet.
Everyone’s different. Perhaps he saw this as his dream job (I would), getting paid nearly a million per year at one of the top athletic and football schools in the country, and the only real caveat is that you can’t replace the football HC until just yet as the school is currently going through scandals and they want the clean image. But you can replace any of the other coaching staff, we’ll give you a large budget to do that, and if Helton hasn’t turned it around in 2 years, you’ll have authorization to fire him and get a new HC.

I don’t see any issues at all with Bohn taking the job with that understanding.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Urban was right around the corner twiddling his thumbs for a year. They deemed him as toxic…cool

Ok. Just make sure to bring in another coach, just as good as Urban, that’s not nuclear.
Hadn’t considered the Urban factor. Perhaps Bohn and Folt would have felt overwhelming pressure from alums and media to hire Urban if Helton got canned in December. Once Meyer took the Jacksonville job that pressure didn’t exist and the eventual selection would be more accepted with less second guessing.

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Everyone’s different. Perhaps he saw this as his dream job (I would), getting paid nearly a million per year at one of the top athletic and football schools in the country, and the only real caveat is that you can’t replace the football HC until just yet as the school is currently going through scandals and they want the clean image. But you can replace any of the other coaching staff, we’ll give you a large budget to do that, and if Helton hasn’t turned it around in 2 years, you’ll have authorization to fire him and get a new HC.

I don’t see any issues at all with Bohn taking the job with that understanding.
The rest of that understanding is that you’ll be rightly responsible and wear full blame for the outcomes of that decision no matter how bad they might be.

As a direct result it’s likely you’ll never get another AD job of note and you’ll be vilified nationally for your incompetence if your selection of a head coach that replaces our incompetent boob fails…and we’ll also have final say in that selection.

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
Hadn’t considered the Urban factor. Perhaps Bohn and Folt would have felt overwhelming pressure from alums and media to hire Urban if Helton got canned in December. Once Meyer took the Jacksonville job that pressure didn’t exist and the eventual selection would be more accepted with less second guessing.
That's a damn good take whether true or not. Looking back, they took TON of heat/pressure over Urban v. Clay. Bohn walked into an Urban fire on day 1. Neither of them were prepared for the fan backlash and media microscope it put them under. Say what you want about their decision, but the two of them just did not handle it very well. The whole he's free to hire who he wants *cough-cough,* was cruel and gave too many of us false hope. Especially when anyone watching could tell that Urban was a non-starter for them both. Just imagine what that pressure would have been like if Helton had been fired. DAMN! Urban's exit from the job market was a lucky escape for them from all that pressure. It must have been a heck of a weight off their shoulders.

Last edited:

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Can we just move on?

The reason we’re in this position to begin with, is our desire to repeat the past. We did it after McKay, now Pete the last decade.

Besides, it‘s never the same the second time around….NTM, Pete 2001-2004 is not the same as Pete 2005-2009. Besides, he’s 70. He won’t be coaching much longer.
Was just talking about Pete. This year with the Seahawks reminds me of SC 2009.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
He was 5-0 and then barely lost to Oregon in the Pac12 championship game. There was nothing to fire him for last year
Agreed it would have looked pretty bad.

I think were lucky that we have a staff lol given Helton hot seat.

Last edited:

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017

Why do posters keep making Urban Meyer "facts" up? No one, including Urban, Bohn, and the hundreds of CFB writers around the country have ever substantiated his interest in the USC job, an offer by USC, or an intervention by Folt against him. We read posts on here like it's common knowledge. He does a TV game in LA with Matt and Reggie and the internet turns that into another Geraldo Rivera scoop.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Why do posters keep making Urban Meyer "facts" up? No one, including Urban, Bohn, and the hundreds of CFB writers around the country have ever substantiated his interest in the USC job, an offer by USC, or an intervention by Folt against him. We read posts on here like it's common knowledge. He does a TV game in LA with Matt and Reggie and the internet turns that into another Geraldo Rivera scoop.
right

Reactions: August West

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
There’s talk in the tea leaves she’s being pushed out as Pres.
I doubt she's been pushed out but she may or may not be involved in what Bohn is doing. Personally, presidents should trust their employees to do their jobs without trying to interfere unless there are clear issues.

Reactions: EugeneTrojan

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
I hear what you are saying. We have to endure 8 more games of this. I have no inside information, but I suspect Helton was retained for one or both of these reasons:
1. He went 5-1 last season. No matter how ugly it looked, no coach is getting fired after winning more than 80% of their games.
2. The 2019 recruiting class was so bad, Bohn needed to knock the 2020 class out of the park. Firing Helton would have pushed the program into instability, and jeopardize the signing of top recruits.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I hear what you are saying. We have to endure 8 more games of this. I have no inside information, but I suspect Helton was retained for one or both of these reasons:
1. He went 5-1 last season. No matter how ugly it looked, no coach is getting fired after winning more than 80% of their games.
2. The 2019 recruiting class was so bad, Bohn needed to knock the 2020 class out of the park. Firing Helton would have pushed the program into instability, and jeopardize the signing of top recruits.
It's believable to say the least.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Every AD at every university works under a similar structure. None of them have complete autonomy. If the president says we’re not eating that much of a contract, it doesn’t happen. This is on Swann, not Bohn.

To be accurate, this is on Nikias and not Swann. Nikias told Swann to give Gomer a guaranteed 5-year contract to get the program off his plate because he didn't want to be bothered with it while dealing with Tyndall. Swann never made an independent decision the whole time he was AD, nor did Haden before him. Anybody who worked at the university while Nikias was president knows that. Folt is just slightly less controlling.

Last edited:

Latest posts