BWI Film Club: New Movie Trailers…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Please add any trailers for upcoming films you’re looking forward to. I’ll start:

Christopher Nolan’s latest stars Peaky Blinder and long time CN player Cillian Murphy as the titular character - can’t wait for this…

Reactions: Woodpecker

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Please add any trailers for upcoming films you’re looking forward to. I’ll start:

Christopher Nolan’s latest stars Peaky Blinder and long time CN player Cillian Murphy as the titular character - can’t wait for this…

This is going to be really hard to pull off.

Reactions: Midnighter

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
David O. Russell’s newest - with Christian Bale, Margot Robbie, and John David Washington. ‘Amsterdam’:

Wow!!!!!!! Look at that cast. Mike Myers? Are you sh&%$ me? I will watch just to see the actors do their scenes.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I see a Christopher Nolan release, I buy tickets. Simple as that. Love his movies.

There is always some kind of 'time' element to his movies (with few exceptions) - anxious to see what he does with this. And Murphy is long overdue for some prestige film work.

Memento - Time moving forward/backward simultaneously
Insomnia - Extended daylight
Inception - Layers of time happening within itself (dream within a dream, etc.)
Interstellar - Relativity of time/space travel
Dunkirk - Three stores happening over different time intervals simultaneously
Tenet - Time moving forward/backward simultaneously

Reactions: Hlstone

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021

Oppenheimer? How many times can they make a movie about this guy? This will be a bigger bomb than Fat Boy.

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
My memory is failing. I know that there were a couple back in the 80s but, not counting others about the broader subject of the Manhattan Project, what others were about Oppenheimer?
There was the BBC Oppenheimer with David Staithern (sp?) about ten years ago. That may have been the definitive portrayal of “Oppie”, even better than Sam Waterston in the 80s. Straithern has that brooding intellectual character nailed.

Then you can toss in Oppie appearances like the fictional Manhattan Project movie from five or so years ago.

Really what more can anyone bring to the role or history? We have seen the pure history, factionalized versions, moral and ethical issues, his marital troubles, his government career, his blackballing in the McCarthy area, on and on all covered.

Good luck to Nolan in his attempt to bring something new or original. The actor playing Oppie has a near impossible job. He likely will come off as a mimic of past actors who did the job. Hell, give someone the hat, the haircut, the thin profile, and the intellectual stare and who would not see Oppie?

Seriously, who among us could not write the script? The marriage and lefty politics, Groves and the frictions over the Manhattan project, the Bagavagida quote, the McCarthy mess, the ethical torment over the use of the bomb after Germany surrenders. Good grief.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
BBC Oppenheimer with David Staithern (sp?) about ten years ago
Strathairn (sp?) was in a TV movie about him 30+ years ago that (I thought) was pretty good. Was there something more recent? You may be right that this will just be a rehash; we'll just have to see. I agree that many remakes simply don't need to be made.

• Love
Reactions: step.eng69

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Strathairn (sp?) was in a TV movie about him 30+ years ago that (I thought) was pretty good. Was there something more recent? You may be right that this will just be a rehash; we'll just have to see. I agree that many remakes simply don't need to be made.
You are correct, yet another Oppie movie he did in the 90s. Then Straitharn was in a BBC television show drama/documentary on Oppie back in 2008 it says in his Wiki. So we have had Oppie bios in each of the past four decades, not counting the myriad of documentaries. It’s the 20s, time for another I guess.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Yep.
Would you want to be the one putting up tens of millions of dollars for Nolan’s latest?
At best, it’s going to be something like Good Night, and Good Luck, which cost $8M and grossed $54M back in ‘05. There are too many moving parts in Oppenheimer’s story and (mainly for political reasons) they can’t play around with it the way Ron Howard did with John Nash’s story in A Beautiful Mind. For example, Oppenheimer tried to poison his tutor at Cambridge; do you mention that in the film? And everything I’ve seen about Oppenheimer neglects to a large degree the fact that he was a very great physicist, not just a great administrator. I’m almost always disappointed with real-life movies and this will be no exception.

Reactions: step.eng69

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
At best, it’s going to be something like Good Night, and Good Luck, which cost $8M and grossed $54M back in ‘05. There are too many moving parts in Oppenheimer’s story and (mainly for political reasons) they can’t play around with it the way Ron Howard did with John Nash’s story in A Beautiful Mind. For example, Oppenheimer tried to poison his tutor at Cambridge; do you mention that in the film? And everything I’ve seen about Oppenheimer neglects to a large degree the fact that he was a very great physicist, not just a great administrator. I’m almost always disappointed with real-life movies and this will be no exception.
Just checked. Would you believe a budget of $100 million! Good luck to them with that.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
At best, it’s going to be something like Good Night, and Good Luck, which cost $8M and grossed $54M back in ‘05. There are too many moving parts in Oppenheimer’s story and (mainly for political reasons) they can’t play around with it the way Ron Howard did with John Nash’s story in A Beautiful Mind. For example, Oppenheimer tried to poison his tutor at Cambridge; do you mention that in the film? And everything I’ve seen about Oppenheimer neglects mentioning that he was a very great physicist, not just a great administrator. I’m almost always disappointed with real-life movies and this will be no exception.

There will be more to this I bet. Christopher Nolan is one of the most inventive and original filmmakers working today and at worst this won’t be unoriginal.

Reactions: LionJim

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Umm. Hell yea!!! Comes out in sept for 5 days. Girls told me, “dad we are going”!!

Attachments

• B21DF0A9-FEF7-4D98-B26B-7ED980C7E232.jpeg
    B21DF0A9-FEF7-4D98-B26B-7ED980C7E232.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I’m almost always disappointed with real-life movies and this will be no exception.
Maybe watch it first? I know, it's crazy talk to actually wait and see something before judging it on this board. Nolan generally does not put out shoddy work or box office bombs.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Maybe watch it first? I know, it's crazy talk to actually wait and see something before judging it on this board. Nolan generally does not put out shoddy work or box office bombs.
Fair enough. But, really, true-life movies just don’t work for me. Maybe it’s just me. For example, I despised The Imitation Game and thought A Beautiful Mind was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Apparently some people REALLY didn't like Barney
I Love You, You Hate Me

Last edited: