Calls have been made

USCvision

Sep 6, 2021
No on both of those options...IMO...Fickell may do well in Cincinnati but USC is a much bigger monster. Huge media influence, huge fan base, big money, chasing top recruits. Fickell at Cincinnati does/deals with none of those things. He has done a great job but dont expect the same results to transfer from Cincinnati... My opinion it needs to be a nfl like coach who has felt that pressure before and seen success under it. Cincinnati and Fickell are not the answer. Untill he wins coaching at like a Penn State or a Auburn. Just saying my 0 cents.

Mr818Trojan

Sep 15, 2018
No on both of those options...IMO...Fickell may do well in Cincinnati but USC is a much bigger monster. Huge media influence, huge fan base, big money, chasing top recruits. Fickell at Cincinnati does/deals with none of those things. He has done a great job but dont expect the same results to transfer from Cincinnati... My opinion it needs to be a nfl like coach who has felt that pressure before and seen success under it. Cincinnati and Fickell are not the answer. Untill he wins coaching at like a Penn State or a Auburn. Just saying my 0 cents.
Why no on Urban? You allergic to winning ? PROVEN, college winner. Sometimes, NFL doesn't translate to college, the way college doesn't always translate to NFL.

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
You always make calls. It doesn't hurt to talk.

Like my wife always said, "Collect, collect, then select" (and when she got down to about the third or fourth choice, that's when I came into the picture, LOL.)

Last edited:

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
My take is there are 3 elites. Saban, Meyer, Dabo. Saban is content where he is. Dabo is the coach in waiting for Bama but since Saban isnt leaving anytime soon it could be a long wait. Perhaps sc would be a jump up from clemson and provide a better waiting room. Meyer seems the most likely given that he did want the job at one point , his wife loves los angeles, and he is not exactly happy where he is. All other candidates would be second tier. Not that they wouldnt work but less likely to take Sc where the real fans want sc to go. Im sure said hire would take sc where folt wants it to go, but not where Sc traditionally has been. Any ofnthe top 3 would have sc atleast in the Rose bowl the first year and in the final four thereafter. But, thise three cost mony. 150m over 10 to 12 years. Wheres the second tier would only get 3-4 M over 3 years.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Just curious, if Urban essentially turned the SC job down at the end of last season, what would make him want to abandon the Jacksonville job now? The 1 loss? Maybe NFL players aren't as easily manipulated like college players? Not understanding where this rationale is coming from.

And Saban/Dabo huh? Why stop there? Why isn't Belechik on this list damn it! I'd even take Phil Jackson at this point. Many have already ruled out why we don't want the washed-up Pete Carrol.

Truly a brain trust going...we've got the wrong people in the hiring process, someone needs to tell Bohn to check this site stat!

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
In my opinion Luke Fickle is on the verge of being the Next Urban Meyer. Think of Urban Meyer when he was at Utah. He just has to come to grips with the fact he will have to do it the hard way going the Cincinnati route. He’s kinda stubborn there. Urban knew he needed to go to a Florida and OSU or a Blueblood school to win it all because of the recruiting. I think he can adapt anywhere OSU is a big school with a big city like following. It’s not exactly Eugene Oregon.

He’s more than proved he can compete?
they beat UCLA in 2019
Lost to OSU in 2019
Lost to Memphis 2019
Beat Boston College 2019
Beat UCF 2019
Beat a ranked Army 2020
Beat ranked SMU 2020
Beat Memphis 2020
Beat UCF 2020
Lost to Georgia in a close game 2020
Beat UCLA 2018
Beat Navy 2018
Beat Virginia Tech

Teams are not lining up to play them either. He can only play who’s in front of him.

Luke Fickell is 33-6 in his last 3 years and counting.
2018 11-2
2019 11-3
2020 9-1
2021 2-0
His consistency is what impresses me. He wins!! With Helton was always will he win 10 games or win 5. Every year was a fricken mystery and he was constantly replacing staff and changing schemes which points to he’s learning on the job. Fickle has a system he just makes it better every year but it’s a well oiled machine.

Last edited:

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
In my opinion Luke Fickle is on the verge of being the Next Urban Meyer. Think of Urban Meyer when he was at Utah. He just has to come to grips with the fact he will have to do it the hard way going the Cincinnati route. He’s kinda stubborn there. Urban knew he needed to go to a Florida and OSU to win it all because of the recruiting. I think he can adapt anywhere OSU is a big school with a big city like following. It not exactly Eugene Oregon.

they beat UCLA in 2019
Lost to OSU in 2019
Lost to Memphis 2019
Beat Boston College 2019
Beat UCF 2019
Beat a ranked Army 2020
Beat ranked SMU 2020
Beat Memphis 2020
Beat UCF 2020
Beat UCLA 2018
Beat Navy 2018
Beat Virginia Tech

Teams are not lining up to play them either. He can only play who’s in front of him.

Luke Fickell is 31-6
2018 11-2
2019 11-3
2020 9-1
the consistency is what impresses me. He wins!!
Didn’t he coach at tosu too?

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
This is great news that some wheels are starting to turn. No offense, but with internet rumors everywhere, where are you hearing this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneluve4u

USCvision

Sep 6, 2021
Why no on Urban? You allergic to winning ? PROVEN, college winner. Sometimes, NFL doesn't translate to college, the way college doesn't always translate to NFL.
He was just hired by the Jag's... Logically he will not leave unless fired in his first year. Its a NFL head coach position...you dont leave that to coach the college level in your first year or maybe even ever unless fired... He isnt an option right now. Maybe a year ago he would have been.

Reactions: conquist

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
#1 I think the majority of coaches we want are not going to be available or don't want to come to USC for whatever reason.

#2 That puts Bohn in a precarious position because he won't get who he really wants.

#3 We are all going to second guess the decision whomever he hires because of #1 and #2.

#4 The best thing he can do is get the best he can as far as someone who is young enough to stay for a long time to build a dynasty with head coaching experience and proven success (See Fickell).

#5 If Fickell or the other young head coaches do not want to come to LA, his best choice is going to be Donte, I hate to say it...unless Donte makes no improvement over what we saw under Helton.

We may not like these scenarios, but they are most logical.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Didn’t he coach at tosu too?
Yea he did not very long. He was more of a placeholder. He didn’t do so well because he hadn’t arrived yet. Lane Kiffin is not the same coach he was at USC. He’s grown. That’s a good example. LF didn’t really get a chance to set up shop at OSU. Following UM puts you on a very short leash. They had his bags packed the min he took the job.

Reactions: Pudly76

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
#1 I think the majority of coaches we want are not going to be available or don't want to come to USC for whatever reason.

#2 That puts Bohn in a precarious position because he won't get who he really wants.

#3 We are all going to second guess the decision whomever he hires because of #1 and #2.

#4 The best thing he can do is get the best he can as far as someone who is young enough to stay for a long time to build a dynasty with head coaching experience and proven success (See Fickell).

#5 If Fickell or the other young head coaches do not want to come to LA, his best choice is going to be Donte, I hate to say it...unless Donte makes no improvement over what we saw under Helton.

100% agree I think it is going to be a great tier 2 guy.

Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Mario Cristobal
Chris Kleiman KState

Look at Dan Lanning DC Georgia. Currently the number 1 defense in college football. They were number 1 against the run last year too 20th in total defense last year too. He’s a disciple of Kirby Smart former Alabama’s DC and Kirby is a student of Nick Saban. So you’re getting Alabama’s defense when you hire him. The problem for him is finding a legit OC it will do us no good if he can’t. If you hire a Chris Kleiman you get everyone OC, DC all his staff would be more than willing to jump to a bigger program. It might be easier for him to hit the ground running. I doubt either keep Harrell.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

100% agree I think it is going to be a great tier 2 guy.

Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Mario Cristobal
Chris Kleiman KState

Look at Dan Lanning DC Georgia. Currently the number 1 defense in college football. They were number 1 against the run last year too 20th in total defense last year too. He’s a disciple of Kirby Smart former Alabama’s DC and Kirby is a student of Nick Saban. So you’re getting Alabama’s defense when you hire him. The problem for him is finding a legit OC it will do us no good if he can’t. If you hire a Chris Kleiman you get everyone OC, DC all his staff would be more than willing to jump to a bigger program. It might be easier for him to hit the ground running. I doubt either keep Harrell.
If Chris Kleiman had been hired to USC years ago. He would be winning here. Instead of being stuck between Oklahoma and Texas.

In my opinion Luke Fickle is on the verge of being the Next Urban Meyer. Think of Urban Meyer when he was at Utah. He just has to come to grips with the fact he will have to do it the hard way going the Cincinnati route. He’s kinda stubborn there. Urban knew he needed to go to a Florida and OSU to win it all because of the recruiting. I think he can adapt anywhere OSU is a big school with a big city like following. It not exactly Eugene Oregon.

they beat UCLA in 2019
Lost to OSU in 2019
Lost to Memphis 2019
Beat Boston College 2019
Beat UCF 2019
Beat a ranked Army 2020
Beat ranked SMU 2020
Beat Memphis 2020
Beat UCF 2020
Beat UCLA 2018
Beat Navy 2018
Beat Virginia Tech

2018 11-2
2019 11-3
2020 9-1
2021 2-0
His consistency is what impresses me. He wins!! With Helton is was always he can win 10 games or win 5 every year was a mystery and he was constantly replacing staff and changing schemes which points to he’s learning on the job. Fickle has a system he just makes it better every year but it’s a well oiled machine.

agreed

Last edited:

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Yea he did not very long. He was more of a placeholder. He didn’t do so well because he hadn’t arrived yet. Lane Kiffin is not the same coach he was at USC. He’s grown. That’s a good example. LF didn’t really get a chance to set up shop at OSU. Following UM puts you on a very short leash. They had his bags packed the min he took the job.
I don't think he was ever considered an option for head coach. They just needed someone to take over temporarily after Tressel got fired over Tattoo Gate. They weren't going to bring in a whole new staff in the summer and try to prep for the season with a couple of months time. Urban thought enough of him to keep him around for 5 years as his DC.

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
Because he sucked that’s why he didn’t get a chance to set up shop. He took a talented team and went 6-7. Something Urban has never done. The man is no Urban Meyer by any stretch of the imagination.

TommyTrojan

Aug 24, 2017

they beat UCLA in 2019
Lost to OSU in 2019
Lost to Memphis 2019
Beat Boston College 2019
Beat UCF 2019
Beat a ranked Army 2020
Beat ranked SMU 2020
Beat Memphis 2020
Beat UCF 2020
Beat UCLA 2018
Beat Navy 2018
Beat Virginia Tech

2018 11-2
2019 11-3
2020 9-1
2021 2-0
His consistency is what impresses me. He wins!! With Helton is was always he can win 10 games or win 5 every year was a mystery and he was constantly replacing staff and changing schemes which points to he’s learning on the job. Fickle has a system he just makes it better every year but it’s a well oiled machine.
This is gnawing at me in the background. Meyer brings instant credibility, but he's never lasted at any spot he was in. The stress burns him out, and USC's flame may be the brightest.

Fickle can coach. He's got a good track record and just needs better athletes to contend. He cannot choose a better spot than USC to get those athletes. When USC has the best coaches, we contend for every 5 star.

Fickle is also 9 years younger than Meyer, and has the opportunity to be here for decades. Meyer will not be. Even with his age being a non factor, he burns out so fast. That's my biggest concern. We could end up with a younger, healthier, long term Meyer, by going with Fickle.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Did you just say your post was nonsense?:cool:

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
I don't think he was ever considered an option for head coach. They just needed someone to take over temporarily after Tressel got fired over Tattoo Gate. They weren't going to bring in a whole new staff in the summer and try to prep for the season with a couple of months time. Urban thought enough of him to keep him around for 5 years as his DC.
He was considered until it became crystal clear he had no idea what the hell he was doing.

Reactions: August West

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
He was considered until it became crystal clear he had no idea what the hell he was doing.
At the time...now it's different. Why are you holding something that happened 10 years ago over his shoulders? ppl did the same with Pete. Not comparing the two but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moose4usc

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The same reason people hold Franklin to moronic standards when Franklin is the one playing the tougher competition...
So you want Franklin? just say that. I personally, don't want em but I wouldn't be mad. But he's had similar problems finding an OC despite having support from Penn State.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
TrojanFireHorse12 is right about Chris Klieman....

"

"If Chris Kleiman had been hired to USC years ago. He would be winning here. Instead of being stuck between Oklahoma and Texas."
I'm positive of this being the case. It was the perfect time to hire him in 2019. But of course, Swann and his handler screwed us to go along with the mess in Heritage hall.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
I'm positive of this being the case. It was the perfect time to hire him in 2019. But of course, Swann and his handler screwed us to go along with the mess in Heritage hall.
Which Klieman would we have gotten?
The guy that went 69-6 and won 4 NC's at an FCS school or the guy treading water at 14-11 at a Power 5 school?

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsAP/TSN/STATS#Coaches°
Loras Duhawks (Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (2005)
2005Loras3–72–67th
Loras:3–72–6
North Dakota State Bison (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2014–2018)
2014North Dakota State15–17–1T–1stW FCS National Championship11
2015North Dakota State13–27–1T–1stW FCS National Championship11
2016North Dakota State12–27–1T–1stL FCS Semi-finals33
2017North Dakota State14–17–11stW FCS National Championship11
2018North Dakota State15–08–01stW FCS National Championship11
North Dakota State:69–636–4
Kansas State Wildcats (Big 12 Conference) (2019–present)
2019Kansas State8–55–4T–3rdL Liberty
2020Kansas State4–64–57th
2021Kansas State2–00–0
Kansas State:14–119–9
Total:86–24
National championship Conference title Conference division title or championship game berth
  • #Rankings from final AP/TSN/STATS Poll.
  • °Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.

UscTrojanglory

Sep 7, 2017
So you want Franklin? just say that. I personally, don't want em but I wouldn't be mad. But he's had similar problems finding an OC despite having support from Penn State.
I’m fine with either, however, I’m not fine with people lying and/or purposefully distorting facts to suit their weak narratives. I have no issue with us hiring Luke he’s just not a better coach than Franklin period. At least not at this juncture.

Reactions: LDIABootney

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Which Klieman would we have gotten?
The guy that went 69-6 and won 4 NC's at an FCS school or the guy treading water at 14-11 at a Power 5 school?

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsAP/TSN/STATS#Coaches°
Loras Duhawks (Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (2005)
2005Loras3–72–67th
Loras:3–72–6
North Dakota State Bison (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2014–2018)
2014North Dakota State15–17–1T–1stW FCS National Championship11
2015North Dakota State13–27–1T–1stW FCS National Championship11
2016North Dakota State12–27–1T–1stL FCS Semi-finals33
2017North Dakota State14–17–11stW FCS National Championship11
2018North Dakota State15–08–01stW FCS National Championship11
North Dakota State:69–636–4
Kansas State Wildcats (Big 12 Conference) (2019–present)
2019Kansas State8–55–4T–3rdL Liberty
2020Kansas State4–64–57th
2021Kansas State2–00–0
Kansas State:14–119–9
Total:86–24
National championship Conference title Conference division title or championship game berth
  • #Rankings from final AP/TSN/STATS Poll.
  • °Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.
The guy that's not stuck between Oklahoma and Texas. After Bill Snyder left him with pretty much nothing on his roster. It's a joke that anyone would think coaches would be success at Kstate. It was a one man regime for 25 years. Gonna take a while before it changes there.

ICEnEC

Aug 27, 2017
This is great news that some wheels are starting to turn. No offense, but with internet rumors everywhere, where are you hearing this?

Nowhere. Like 99.9% of the people who post here saying "I have heard", or "my people are telling me", "my sources say". They don't have any inside info. They are just throwing out names, or re-stating what they heard, or what they think they heard somewhere else.

Bohn and his people are handling this search. NONE of them are posting on this board. Guaranteed.

Mr818Trojan

Sep 15, 2018
Nowhere. Like 99.9% of the people who post here saying "I have heard", or "my people are telling me", "my sources say". They don't have any inside info. They are just throwing out names, or re-stating what they heard, or what they think they heard somewhere else.

Bohn and his people are handling this search. NONE of them are posting on this .

Of course not, lol. But when you know people and people in the know, some stuff leaks. That's all I'll say.

Mr818Trojan

Sep 15, 2018
Of course not, lol. But when you know people and people in the know, some stuff leaks. That's all I'll say.
Doesn't mean it's a sure thing it's Urban or even Fickell. Just know that a call has been made on contact with Urbans side. It could have just been a "hi" and "bye" but the call has been made.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Every coach, especially on big stages has been beat. And beat good.

Saban was smoked by Utah
Pete pounded by Harbaugh

Focusing on one game, glossing over that HOF career is a tad short-sighted.
Fair point but does Stoops want to coach...

Latest posts