Calls have been made

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
Stoops coached at Oklahoma for close to 20 years. He's won over 80% of his games, played for national titles, was conference champion over a dozen times, recruits well...what is there not to like?

Okay, Trojans smoked them. It happens. Look at his body of work, it speaks for itself. He should be one of the top candidates. Bienemy, Cristobal, Fickell and Franklin don't compare.

Also, he's available. NOW. Sign him and let's get rolling sooner rather than later.

That's my two cents:)

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
The man has talked about not wanting to die like his dad, coaching football. So that makes me worry. The last thing we need is a coach that will retire because they can't get up out their bed. Or has a sudden headache. lol

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017
If he were in his late 60s, that would concern me. If his heart is into it, has the fire/desire, then yes...let's go.
Bohn has to get that sense that Stoops has the passion. If not, then move on.
Saban seemed a bit fried/burned out after the Miami fiasco but it seemed to fuel him and he's still going strong.
Honestly, who knows about any of this.
All I know is, we need to get this one RIGHT.
Have to.

sc/pacx

Nov 18, 2018
That tends to happen when you play teams with a 1 or 2 next their name.

For some perspective, they Pete is 1-1 in NC games. 1-1 in Super Bowls.

Is it a concern? Sure, but it shouldn’t be a non starter.

The guy is a HOF coach for a reason.
Stoops got pretty much the same amount of talent as Carroll did who was 7-2 bowl wise, to me 9-9 is unacceptable with all considered. I just think we can do better

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

sc/pacx

Nov 18, 2018
Really? Who, besides Saban
Really? Who, besides Saban and Meyer is better than Bob Stoops
Of course Urban is my first pick. Saban for sure is going nowhere. Luke Fickell, Matt Campbell, P J Fleck, Chris Klieman to name a few. I'm Looking for an up and coming coach, sure Stoops is a HOF'r I get that but he's past his prime.

sc/pacx

Nov 18, 2018
You’re changing the metrics here.

You said we could do better than Bob Stoops, when I asked who that might be, you moved the goalposts to “up and coming” and Stoops is “past his prime”.

So you freely admit, we can’t do better, aside from Meyer, because Saban ain’t coming.
Let's just say 9-9 in bowls, 61 yrs of age, I'm not excited

Ladera Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
I really respect Stoops and what he accomplished as a coach. But for some reason, he just doesn’t excite me as a potential candidate for the job here at SC.

On the other hand, I think Urban has us in the NC playoffs in 2 years. I think he’s THAT good. If he is available and/or wants the job, he’s #1 on my list. He has clearly shown that he gets results at every single college job he has had. And with the available talent in Southern California, it would be shooting ducks in a barrel for him. We go on a PC-like tear if Urban is hired.

If Urban isn’t available, Fickell is #2 in my book. I think he could take us to the promised land as well. His teams are very well coached and they WIN. He’s as close to a no brainer as it gets.

Either Urban or Luke would be absolute home run hires and I have no doubts both would absolutely kill it at SC.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I have mixed feelings about Fickell. He has done well at Cincinnati but was a disappointment as interim coach at Ohio State. No doubt he has improved and will be a monumental improvement over Helton but is he really elite?

Urban is elite, a sure thing. Will makes us a NC contender immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cherokee55

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I have mixed feelings about Fickell. He has done well at Cincinnati but was a disappointment as interim coach at Ohio State. No doubt he has improved and will be a monumental improvement over Helton but is he really elite?

Urban is elite, a sure thing. Will makes us a NC contender immediately.
How did Pete become elite...that's the real question. Given all his less than stellar stops, what were his qualities? the same has to be asked of the next coach for USC. I mean it's a job that's easy if it's controlled or it could be difficult. We could get someone that will gets us back into the national spotlight or it could be Paul Hackett 3.0 or a Brian Kelly situation at Notre Dame.

It's so hard to pick and really comprehend the end results. We could have a coach that gets us into the playoffs for a time and then drop off the face of the earth or it could be more consistent or it could get really bad. Maybe, they get a success but that coach uses USC as a springboard to the NFL...etc so many variables, even if we get the right guy.

Last edited:

The Great One

Sep 1, 2021
Urban is in a class with Saban by themselves currently in the CFB coaching ranks. The rest are distant second and below.

If we can get Urban, there is no and won't be any arugment.

CFB is changing and we need a coach that is from the younger generation and be able to built the program and stay with the program.

If we cannot get Urban, Fickell ticks all the boxes. Especially the fact that he is young and in his prime.

Everyone else is up for debate.

But stay from the following: USC retreads, James Franklin, and anyone that is "up-and-coming". USC is done with all the sandbox experiments. It is time to go out and get a HC that knows how to run the ship from day one.

Does CDW deserve a chance? That is debatable. But for now, I think it is better to have a bona fide HC at helm and do whatever we can to keep Dante around.

Dark horse: I am sure I will get flak for this, but Tom Herman might be an interesting one to watch.

pumpman

Oct 6, 2017
Nowhere. Like 99.9% of the people who post here saying "I have heard", or "my people are telling me", "my sources say". They don't have any inside info. They are just throwing out names, or re-stating what they heard, or what they think they heard somewhere else.

Bohn and his people are handling this search. NONE of them are posting on this board. Guaranteed.
The most realistic post on this site in years.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Urban is in a class with Saban by themselves currently in the CFB coaching ranks. The rest are distant second and below.

If we can get Urban, there is no and won't be any arugment.

CFB is changing and we need a coach that is from the younger generation and be able to built the program and stay with the program.

If we cannot get Urban, Fickell ticks all the boxes. Especially the fact that he is young and in his prime.

Everyone else is up for debate.

But stay from the following: USC retreads, James Franklin, and anyone that is "up-and-coming". USC is done with all the sandbox experiments. It is time to go out and get a HC that knows how to run the ship from day one.

Does CDW deserve a chance? That is debatable. But for now, I think it is better to have a bona fide HC at helm and do whatever we can to keep Dante around.

Dark horse: I am sure I will get flak for this, but Tom Herman might be an interesting one to watch.
No herman for me please. His performance at ut was a dumpster fire of five alarm magnitude. The pic of his qb on the field alone after the ok game was evidence he lost his team.

1631928534293.jpeg

the old F U and surrender cobra on the same day..

The Great One

Sep 1, 2021
No herman for me please. His performance at ut was a dumpster fire of five alarm magnitude. The pic of his qb on the field alone after the ok game was evidence he lost his team.

View attachment 153292

the old F U and surrender cobra on the same day..
Haha. I knew I'd get flak for this.

Not my first few choices either but just throwing his name out.

He did well at Houston and I am sure he picked up some useful skills at tOSU. His stint at UT was not great for sure. Hopefully he learned from it and improved on it.

If Kitty "Seven-Win Sark can get another shot at another elite program, there is no telling what can happen.

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

He did well at Houston and I am sure he picked up some useful skills at tOSU. His stint at UT was not great for sure. Hopefully he learned from it and improved on it.

If Kitty "Seven-Win Sark can get another shot at another elite program, there is no telling what can happen.
Tom Herman is too much of a ego trip, if we thought Hugs was bad with throwing his own coaches under the bus.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018

I’m not against him rebuilding his brand, just not here right now. I was on his bandwagon some when he left Tosu, but have cooled since.
It is interesting that urban never scored another playoff point after Tom left him..

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Over a song. It had nothing to do with on field play.
Texas was trending up…Herman took over a bad program.
On this we’ll disagree. There was much more here than the song. And as far as trending up, if he was texas money would’ve retained him.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I know enough Texas exes…believe me.

He pissed off both sides doing something he thought was right in a very rough time.
He sided with his team on the subject, then the alum, including Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell wanted them to honor the university and sing the song. He said ok, they would. That pissed off the players.

He went 7-3, was ranked and got fired…
Hardly a glowing recommendation (7-3), and I know the story well. Followed him at Houston too, would win some big games and lose games he shouldn’t have. His trials and tribulations over the whole wife beating thing between he & his wife and the Meyers. He lost the locker room before the “eyes of texas” were the issue.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Hardly a glowing recommendation (7-3), and I know the story well. Followed him at Houston too, would win some big games and lose games he shouldn’t have. His trials and tribulations over the whole wife beating thing between he & his wife and the Meyers. He lost the locker room before the “eyes of texas” were the issue.
Eyes of Texas was just the final nail in his coffin not the first and that's just the plain truth.

Reactions: Pudly76

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
I know enough Texas exes…believe me.

He pissed off both sides doing something he thought was right in a very rough time.
He sided with his team on the subject, then the alum, including Ricky Williams and Earl Campbell wanted them to honor the university and sing the song. He said ok, they would. That pissed off the players.

He went 7-3, was ranked and got fired…
Nobody has won at Texas since Mac. Something wrong there way beyond Herman.

Reactions: August West

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
Why would Meyer want to come back to college? He is in the NFL right now. Unless he totally bolos, I don't see him leaving where he is. I still would rather see FIckell or Bieneimy.

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
Nowhere. Like 99.9% of the people who post here saying "I have heard", or "my people are telling me", "my sources say". They don't have any inside info. They are just throwing out names, or re-stating what they heard, or what they think they heard somewhere else.

Bohn and his people are handling this search. NONE of them are posting on this board. Guaranteed.
Bingo... What I've been saying all week... Dodd, Feldman, et al are all speculating. NO ONE has any clue as to the short list or anything else. Bohn and Sosna have been very good about keeping things close to the vest. Any leaks are agents trying to get their clients a raise and an extension by floating SC interest... Dan Freaking Mullin has been named and Florida fans are freaking out... Expect him and his staff to get a raise at Florida very soon....

Reactions: August West

TroyInception

Jul 4, 2020
Just curious, if Urban essentially turned the SC job down at the end of last season, what would make him want to abandon the Jacksonville job now? The 1 loss? Maybe NFL players aren't as easily manipulated like college players? Not understanding where this rationale is coming from.

And Saban/Dabo huh? Why stop there? Why isn't Belechik on this list damn it! I'd even take Phil Jackson at this point. Many have already ruled out why we don't want the washed-up Pete Carrol.

Truly a brain trust going...we've got the wrong people in the hiring process, someone needs to tell Bohn to check this site stat!
Nothing new, none sense as usual, just let the process play out… it’ll all work out in the end.

Eltrojano

Aug 24, 2017
My take is there are 3 elites. Saban, Meyer, Dabo. Saban is content where he is. Dabo is the coach in waiting for Bama but since Saban isnt leaving anytime soon it could be a long wait. Perhaps sc would be a jump up from clemson and provide a better waiting room. Meyer seems the most likely given that he did want the job at one point , his wife loves los angeles, and he is not exactly happy where he is. All other candidates would be second tier. Not that they wouldnt work but less likely to take Sc where the real fans want sc to go. Im sure said hire would take sc where folt wants it to go, but not where Sc traditionally has been. Any ofnthe top 3 would have sc atleast in the Rose bowl the first year and in the final four thereafter. But, thise three cost mony. 150m over 10 to 12 years. Wheres the second tier would only get 3-4 M over 3 years.
It’s NOT a cost! It’s an INVESTMENT. If Alabama paid Saban $25 million a year it e would still be a bargain. He brings in hundreds of millions of dollars to Alabama and the surrounding communities.

Latest posts