Calls have been made

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
Don’t get the fascination with Venables. May as well look at Tony, too, then
No on both. Clemson’s fan base is completely fed up with Elliot, and Coach V is a little bit of a basket case. Great D Coordinator, but not the head of a program.

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Why is Fickell so far ahead of Franklin?
A retread?
Let's see some honesty.
Where's it more difficult to win at, Cincinnati or Vanderbilt?

Reactions: old scotty

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
As far as Stoops is concerned.....
After awhile even great HC'S get to a point of being stale. 20 years for him, it got a little stale in Norman. It got stale for Bowden and Paterno. Maybe a different location and challenge was/is needed. PC was at USC for only 9 years. You could see a little difference at the end. He needed a new challenge. Why not Stoops?

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
It’s NOT a cost! It’s an INVESTMENT. If Alabama paid Saban $25 million a year it e would still be a bargain. He brings in hundreds of millions of dollars to Alabama and the surrounding communities.
Yer correct but Sc doesn't look at it that why. Dont know why , but i guess its the culture. Thats why you will see the hire be a three year deal for 3-4 M per tops . If the guy produces he will get 2m raise for 4 years. Still way cheaper than the 150m nut . If he loses hes out.

• Sad
Reactions: big_pete

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
How many of the fan base will be patient with the new HC. That 1st year is usually mediocre or solid at best, unless you're handed a loaded team. Even Urban might go 8-4 at best that 1st year. It might take 3 years instead of 2. Depending on when the new HC takes over, Offensive line needs an infusion of talent.
As does the DT/NG positions.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Just curious, if Urban essentially turned the SC job down at the end of last season, what would make him want to abandon the Jacksonville job now? The 1 loss? Maybe NFL players aren't as easily manipulated like college players? Not understanding where this rationale is coming from.

There wasn’t an opening at ‘SC last year. Urban sat at the Fox desk and watched Helton coach…Urban wasn’t going to take a man’s job. He had to take the high road, even giving Clay the “thumbs up” sign on a victory. It was up to USC to fire Clay before last year….they let him fashion a “good“ Covid-shortened year and continue the charade.

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Please google “James Franklin scandals".

I'd say it is easier to build a winning program at PSU than Cincinnati.

I asked about Vanderbilt against Cincinnati. As that was each 1st HC jobs.
Nice way to avoid the question though.
So then scandal eliminates a HC candidacy?
If so then Please Google "Urban Meyer scandals".

Reactions: big_pete

TheTrojanKnight

Aug 24, 2017
This is gnawing at me in the background. Meyer brings instant credibility, but he's never lasted at any spot he was in. The stress burns him out, and USC's flame may be the brightest.

Fickle can coach. He's got a good track record and just needs better athletes to contend. He cannot choose a better spot than USC to get those athletes. When USC has the best coaches, we contend for every 5 star.

Fickle is also 9 years younger than Meyer, and has the opportunity to be here for decades. Meyer will not be. Even with his age being a non factor, he burns out so fast. That's my biggest concern. We could end up with a younger, healthier, long term Meyer, by going with Fickle.
This is all true but what Meyer has going for him is a virtual guarantee. If Meyer comes to USC I'm 100% certain we'll be in a championship game in the next 4 years.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Stoops is woefully past his prime, and even at his best he was never really all that great, even though he did win a natty very early in his Soonerr career, but haven't Sooners IMPROVED significantly since they replaced him with Lincoln Riley?

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Why is Fickell so far ahead of Franklin?
A retread?
Let's see some honesty.
Where's it more difficult to win at, Cincinnati or Vanderbilt?
For me, it’s because Franklin has had 7 years at a traditional football power and hasn’t made the CFP yet, much less sniffed an NC.

I am concerned about getting an HC that wins just enough to keep his job over a long period, but never gets over the hump to where they are playing for NC’s.

There are no guarantees with anyone, including Fickell. But I’m more inclined to take my chances with Fickell, a guy with great success at Cincinnati, than with a guy who’s had 7 years at Penn St. but has only one Big Ten title, and has not been able to make the CFP.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: The Great One

DavidLima

Aug 24, 2017
John Harbaugh. It's worth making contact and I think he'd be interested. And yes I know he will cost a lot of money.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

USCvision

Sep 6, 2021
Did you just say your post was nonsense?:cool:

#1 I think the majority of coaches we want are not going to be available or don't want to come to USC for whatever reason.

#2 That puts Bohn in a precarious position because he won't get who he really wants.

#3 We are all going to second guess the decision whomever he hires because of #1 and #2.

#4 The best thing he can do is get the best he can as far as someone who is young enough to stay for a long time to build a dynasty with head coaching experience and proven success (See Fickell).

#5 If Fickell or the other young head coaches do not want to come to LA, his best choice is going to be Donte, I hate to say it...unless Donte makes no improvement over what we saw under Helton.

We may not like these scenarios, but they are most logical.
I think peterson, or O'Brian... Would both be good hires.

Willlson!

Aug 24, 2017
From my years working around the executive search business I'll share this: When a company is hunting for the "right fit" for a CEO, they generally end up with the candidate who wanted the job the most. He or she wants the position so much they make themselves the "right fit." What that means in the SC search is that a guy who is comfortable where he is will not want to take a flyer coaching a team thousands of miles away with lots of unknowns. Coaches, like CEOs, are risk averse.

That's why I believe the next SC coach will be someone from a lower school who sees this as a big step up, someone in a coordinator job who wants a head job, or someone who isn't currently working. All three will be hungrier, and will mold themselves to be the right "fit."

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017
He's terrible. He's the one coach that, if they hire, I'd throw a fit. He is a scheme-specific coach who has elite talent everywhere on his defense to mask his inability to adjust to the team he's playing. A big NO THANKS on that one.

old scotty

Aug 24, 2017
scandals should be a warning flag for sure, especially for USC. What Franklin covered up at Vandy would stop me. I do not find Urban or Herman that attractive either.

Reactions: The Great One

The Great One

Sep 1, 2021

Fair argument on the scandal aspect. I will give you that.

But IF we are going to hire coach with scandals, I will go with the one with few nattys under his belt.

In terms of job comparison, I'd say the performance of Fickell and Franklin at their current jobs would be a better benchmark for future hire. It does not matter what happened before. CPC had a dismal HC record before he got hired at USC. I don't think his record at the Jets and Pats mattered when Paul Allen hired him (I could be wrong).

Anyway, this is just a forum posting. I like your passion. Let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: LDIABootney

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021

100% agree I think it is going to be a great tier 2 guy.

Brent Venables
Dan Lanning
Mario Cristobal
Chris Kleiman KState

Look at Dan Lanning DC Georgia. Currently the number 1 defense in college football. They were number 1 against the run last year too 20th in total defense last year too. He’s a disciple of Kirby Smart former Alabama’s DC and Kirby is a student of Nick Saban. So you’re getting Alabama’s defense when you hire him. The problem for him is finding a legit OC it will do us no good if he can’t. If you hire a Chris Kleiman you get everyone OC, DC all his staff would be more than willing to jump to a bigger program. It might be easier for him to hit the ground running. I doubt either keep Harrell.
Kleiman is an interesting thought, perhaps #5 on my list

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

Realitycheck.usc

Oct 7, 2017
Fair argument on the scandal aspect. I will give you that.

But IF we are going to hire coach with scandals, I will go with the one with few nattys under his belt.

In terms of job comparison, I'd say the performance of Fickell and Franklin at their current jobs would be a better benchmark for future hire. It does not matter what happened before. CPC had a dismal HC record before he got hired at USC. I don't think his record at the Jets and Pats mattered when Paul Allen hired him (I could be wrong).

Anyway, this is just a forum posting. I like your passion. Let's agree to disagree.
Dont cut Franklin slack. Compare aples to apples. Losing jobs is not a scandal.. the underlying reasons why he lost those jobs, that is the scandal and if yer willing to overlook franks scandals then why not Meyers.

MiketoBush61

Oct 20, 2018
Hmmm...maybe losing your entire D-line to the pros, replacing them with 4 new starters and then winning a natty has something to do with people's fascination...just sayin'...

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
deion sanders is on watchlist
He was Reggie Bush’s suggestion, but his reasoning wasn’t very sound. Bush thinks he could recruit well, and that may be true. But unless you can coach, recruiting means very little.

Maybe Sanders HC career will flourish and he will show himself to be a great coach. But right now, all we have is nine games with a 6-3 record at FCS Jackson State. Not enough.

Reactions: August West

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Kleiman is an interesting thought, perhaps #5 on my list
He’s 3-0 so far even Dave Aranda @ Baylor’s stock is rising but his offense is run heavy and they don’t throw the ball enough. As soon as they run into a team that can stop the run they are taking a loss. K- State is balanced on offense and heavy on defense Chris Kleiman’s teams play defense.

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
Perhaps Kleiman as HC with Biennemy as OC? That might be similar to Chow being the guru for the D minded Carroll.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
A Super Bowl winning OC is going to come and be the OC for USC???
It would give him credibility considering so many believe he doesn’t actually call plays or design the offense.

It is a common perception.

Latest posts