Confirmed CFP expanding in 2024 after agreement with Rose Bowl....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

The definition of "elite" has been expanded to 12th place.....nice. Now it s like everyone gets a trophy. :rolleyes:

Great news. I did some checking and found that about 35 different teams placed between 5th and 12th since the beginning of the four team CFP. The earlier you can sell recruits on this, the better it is for everyone else. F*ck Bama.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Great news. I did some checking and found that about 35 different teams placed between 5th and 12th since the beginning of the four team CFP. The earlier you can sell recruits on this, the better it is for everyone else. F*ck Bama.

Our punishment notwithstanding, the last decade or so of college football has been a huge pile of elitist excrement for all but a handful of teams and anything that changes these dynamics is good.

I don't complain about it much because someone will crap on me, but it's objectively horrible. Unless you're one of the few chosen elites that were lucky to be on top of the deck when the cards stopped being shuffled.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Our punishment notwithstanding, the last decade or so of college football has been a huge pile of elitist excrement for all but a handful of teams and anything that changes these dynamics is good.

I don't complain about it much because someone will crap on me, but it's objectively horrible. Unless you're one of the few chosen elites that were lucky to be on top of the deck when the cards stopped being shuffled.

Anything that Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney complain about is probably a good thing overall (NIL, Transfer Portal, etc.). Expanded playoff hurts their little fiefdom most.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021

Of course, a "12 team playoff" will do nothing but exacerbate the differential between the "haves and the have-nots" (and shred just about any last semblance of "student-athlete"-focused big-time college football, if there was any left at this point).

But, hey, it will generate more $$$ (probably a fairly significant amount, at least in the near term)- so it's all good. Consider all of the positive impacts that $$$ will have.

STL_Lion

Oct 12, 2021

The definition of "elite" has been expanded to 12th place.....nice. Now it s like everyone gets a trophy. :rolleyes:
per the article: Under the new system, the Playoff field be composed of the top six conference champions...
Couple of questions
1) As of now we have 5 (P5) Conferences, which conference is the 6th?
2) Will conferences be required to have conference playoff to determine their champions, or will the conferences name a champion through some sort of consistent rules? Take in mind if there is a conference playoff, the loser in the that playoff who is not given a first-round bye, would end up playing 16 games if they made it to the finals (12 regular season games + conference championship game + quarter finals +semifinal +final). 2-3 more games than most teams play now.
3) where does this leave Notre Dame? Will they be forced to join a conference
4) will all conferences be same in total # of teams? same number of conference games?
5) how will SEC find ways to get more teams in the playoffs (right now they all schedule a game (guaranteed win) with a team lower football division, thus keeping their losses and injuries to a minimum.

Reactions: NOLADan

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
per the article: Under the new system, the Playoff field be composed of the top six conference champions...
Couple of questions
2) Will conferences be required to have conference playoff to determine their champions, or will the conferences name a champion through some sort of consistent rules? Take in mind if there is a conference playoff, the loser in the that playoff who is not given a first-round bye, would end up playing 16 games if they made it to the finals (12 regular season games + conference championship game + quarter finals +semifinal +final). 2-3 more games than most teams play now.
4) will all conferences be same in total # of teams? same number of conference games?
5) how will SEC find ways to get more teams in the playoffs (right now they all schedule a game (guaranteed win) with a team lower football division, thus keeping their losses and injuries to a minimum.
This will address several of your points:
ND will be the one-team 6th conference

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
Couple of questions
THE HIGHEST "RANKED" NON-P5 CONFERENCE CHAMP.

2) Will conferences be required to have conference playoff to determine their champions, or will the conferences name a champion through some sort of consistent rules?
NO, NO CHANGE

Take in mind if there is a conference playoff, the loser in the that playoff who is not given a first-round bye, would end up playing 16 games if they made it to the finals (12 regular season games + conference championship game + quarter finals +semifinal +final). 2-3 more games than most teams play now.
ITS ALL ABOUT THE $$$ - EVEN MORE SO THAN CURRENTLY. OBVIOUSLY

NO, THEY WILL GET AN "AT LARGE" BID WHEN WARRANTED

NO

NO CHANGE. IF ANTYTHING, IT WILL ENCOURAGE MORE "PAY DAY" GAMES (FOR THE SEC AND EVERYONE ELSE, OF COURSE)

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Couple of questions
Not a fan of auto bids for conference champions. Think UMs starting QB getting hurt and Purdue pulling the upset. Do they deserve to be in the playoff?

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I have a hard time understanding how anybody would not like this.

As a Penn State fan, it only helps us. It takes away the power a few are holding over the many.
It also makes the incentive for the big ten to protect their little two less in my opinion.

Imagine how fun it would be right now if we knew we were eligible for the playoffs.
Imagine what 2016 could have been.

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
In your opinion, how many of those 35 teams (5-12) had the ability to Win 4 games against T10 competition?

Thanks

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Doesn't matter, what it does it takes away one of the biggest recruiting tools teams like Bama have.
"You can play in the playoffs" which breeds a perpetual machine ones it gets going.
2-17 will have to hope it doesnā€™t matter. I think is does though

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
Not a fan of auto bids for conference champions. Think UMs starting QB getting hurt and Purdue pulling the upset. Do they deserve to be in the playoff?
Valid point, but imho that situation would be the B1G's fault for its own conference structure / determination of B1G championship teams, not the fault of the "playoff committee" or whatever they call themselves. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

FrontierLion

Oct 12, 2021

I sort of feel the same way. I know it's a stupid idea - and not feasible financially, etc etc etc - but I'd almost prefer a "premier league" type system vs what we currently have. Let the perennial 1-10's play in an unorganized "conference" and battle it out for the premier trophy. Everyone else play for a 2nd tier, with the champ replacing the last place premier in the next season.

Opening the playoffs (and I hate to admit it, but NIL probably too) can't hurt anymore than what we currently have.

Reactions: ODShowtime

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I do think it is something we should consider when we are renovating or possibly rebuilding our stadium.
Something like a retractable roof makes a lot of sense in Happy Valley.
The biggest thing is running water for the restrooms and locker rooms. The locker rooms and everything ground level shouldn't be a problem to make frost free if they already aren't. It's everything elevated with exposed piping that's going to need some sort of insulation. In any case, I'm sure the suites would be first priority no matter what. šŸ˜

Oct 12, 2021
Of course, a "12 team playoff" will do nothing but exacerbate the differential between the "haves and the have-nots" (and shred just about any last semblance of "student-athlete"-focused big-time college football, if there was any left at this point).

But, hey, it will generate more $$$ (probably a fairly significant amount, at least in the near term)- so it's all good. Consider all of the positive impacts that $$$ will have.
"so it's all good" for a new cartel. INCENTIVE = OUTCOME. They're gettin' it done!

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
I do think it is something we should consider when we are renovating or possibly rebuilding our stadium.
Something like a retractable roof makes a lot of sense in Happy Valley.

So not only do we expect to make the playoffs, but we expect to be a home team.
Do you realize a retractable roof will add $300M to an already ridiculous amount.

And its not like we'll ever be good enough to host a playoff game.

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
How many were given the opportunity? Play the games on the field and not in sportswriter's heads and find out. What's the downside?
WRT PSU:
PSU would have only had to beat Pitt (or Michigan) in 2016 - Michigan State (or OSU) in 2017 - Minnesota (or OSU) in 2019 - OSU (or Michigan) in 2022 to be in the 4 Team "playoff"

They didn't, That sucked, from a PSU perspective, but that is what has transpired. WRT to PSU (and this would hold true for any of the teams in the marquise conferences, with VERY rare exceptions) they - not some sportswriters head - controlled their destiny.

Now, if in 2024 or beyond, they were to do something similar - but win the game they need to win in the regular season - their reward would NOT be a trip to the Final Four, it would be a December game, presumably in State College, with an unknown outcome.

A 4 team "semi-final" is, obviously, a zero-sum game. For every time one might make the Final Four when they otherwise wouldn't have, there will be someone NOT making the Final Four who otherwise would have. The "lesser" teams will likely see even fewer "Final Four" opportunities (case in point, TCU needs only to beat Kansas State to go to the Final Four. Under the "12 Team System", what would the odds be that they would get there? 1 in 5? Maybe? What chance would Cincinnati have had in 2021, to make the Final Four, under the "12 team" deal?)

Now, why are we seeing the 12 Team deal (which, for any other reason, makes the least amount of sense of any of the alternatives)? Money. Of course. Period.

Aside from those receiving the $$$, who else will be happy? Probably the fans who prefer a "minor league" NFL-feeder football system, with players wearing the names of various Universities on their jerseys - and that may very well be the majority of fans. If that is the case, good for them, seriously. They are the ones who, when you boil it all down, are paying for the product. That may just be what the market dictates, and that is fine (as far as I am concerned - not that it matters what anyone without skin in the game thinks)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The biggest thing is running water for the restrooms and locker rooms. The locker rooms and everything ground level shouldn't be a problem to make frost free if they already aren't. It's everything elevated with exposed piping that's going to need some sort of insulation. In any case, I'm sure the suites would be first priority no matter what. šŸ˜

Only for the home locker room. Screw the visitors.

NJN8TV

Dec 30, 2021
I'm curious to see how the warm weather teams will fare playing at cold weather teams' home fields during the play-offs. I've always wanted to see more bowls (beyond the Pin Stripe) being held in cold weather stadiums, even if profit margins will not be competitive with those played in the south/southwest. Nuance, variety, etc. Would it result in more opt outs perhaps?

Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Purdue would not get in. Assuming that they hold serve in their conference championship games, Tulane and UTSA (or maybe Boise State) would.

Big Ten would have to get in via the at-large route.

Hugh Laurie

Oct 6, 2021
The question I have is will the schools hosting a playoff game in their own stadium be selling the seating themselves, will the conference, or the CFP organization? Also who/how are all the visiting teams going to be compensated for their travel expense.?

Latest posts