Dabo thought Clemson had better team, makes secretaries watch film

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't have any problem with this statement:

“Honestly thought we had the better team, but the better team doesn’t always win,” Swinney said on the podcast appearance. “You’ve got to earn it on the field. Had plenty of opportunities.”

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Translation: "We were outplayed and outcoached."
Yep, he's not sugar coating anything. Said you gotta win it on the field, which is what we did.

And there's the excuse.
@athenscock3
lol, what excuse? He's saying we outplayed them. You've heard of TDS, well many of our fans suffer from DDS...Dabo Derangement Syndrome. What he says is right on. Clemson had the better team on paper. We were the better team on the field, where it counts.

Dare I point out that nearly all Gamecock fans also thought going into the game that Clemson had the better team.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Yep, he's not sugar coating anything. Said you gotta win it on the field, which is what we did.

lol, what excuse? He's saying we outplayed them. You've heard of TDS, well many of our fans suffer from DDS...Dabo Derangement Syndrome. What he says is right on. Clemson had the better team on paper. We were the better team on the field, where it counts.

Dare I point out that nearly all Gamecock fans also thought going into the game that Clemson had the better team.
This is all true, but it's Clemson.

TopHook

Jan 18, 2022

Paper Tigers. Totally agree. Have for years except for one.Only good because of schedule. Wish others would see this.

Last edited:

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
This seems extreme and cultish. I know it’s sports, but that’s almost the point. It reeks of, “we lost, how dare you let this happen?” Maybe Dabo should’ve gone to a therapist for Mental Monday. Forcing a secretary to watch a game because they lost just seems weird.

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
I don't have any problem with this statement:

“Honestly thought we had the better team, but the better team doesn’t always win,” Swinney said on the podcast appearance. “You’ve got to earn it on the field. Had plenty of opportunities.”
They have more stars (recruiting rating stars). They have better lines on both sides, but not stellar. They have a better run game. But they're deficient at QB, WR and secondary. So, on paper, yeah they're the better team. Paper doesn't account for special teams. We were vastly superior in that phase and it made a huge difference. And of course we were better at coaching.

Last edited:

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
Dabo, as usual, is FOS. SC spotted him a TD ( pick 6), threw a pick in their end zone from the two yard line, got screwed on a backwards pass (fumble) that Greene picked up and was headed to paydirt (play blown dead, and then miraculously wasn’t overruled upon video review). That’s at least 17 points one way or the other. Carolina was CLEARLY the better team Saturday. CU had 86 total yards after halftime, and surrendered 17 second half points to the ‘lesser team’. Who was the best team again Blabo????

Reactions: joefanatic
Feb 8, 2022
IMHO, they certainly have more individual talent ... the gulf has been wide for many years now ... however, the gap has closed and with the good vibes (finish to the season), we need to take advantage of this with continued strong/improving recruiting and I believe with a HR hire in the OC, this can be greatly boosted ...

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
They have more stars (recruiting rating stars). They have better lines on both sides, but not stellar. They have a better run game. But they're deficient at QB, WR and secondary. So, on paper, yeah they're the better team. Paper doesn't account for special teams. We were vastly superior in that phase and it made a huge difference. And of course we were better at coaching.
This goes down as the understatement of the first fourth of the 21st Century so far.

Reactions: Lurker123

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
This goes down as the understatement of the first fourth of the 21st Century so far.

Agreed. I said earlier that we have a window as long as that headcase is playing qb. We should all be hoping that he announces he's returning next year.

Reactions: KingWard

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Dabo, as usual, is FOS. SC spotted him a TD ( pick 6), threw a pick in their end zone from the two yard line, got screwed on a backwards pass (fumble) that Greene picked up and was headed to paydirt (play blown dead, and then miraculously wasn’t overruled upon video review). That’s at least 17 points one way or the other. Carolina was CLEARLY the better team Saturday. CU had 86 total yards after halftime, and surrendered 17 second half points to the ‘lesser team’. Who was the best team again Blabo????

How is he "FOS"? In the totality of his statements since Saturday, he has acknowledged that we outplayed them and deserved to win the game. I've never seen a fan base so rabidly jump on little sound bites.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Thing is, it's mental. He has the tools, but gets so easily rattled. He must be a practice warrior or he wouldn't be left in games. HBC would ahve pulled him about half their games this year. He reminds me of a coach's son QB we had a few QBs ago. At times he couldn't hit wide open guys on a busted coverage.

Hobcawcreekcock

Jan 22, 2022
How is he "FOS"? In the totality of his statements since Saturday, he has acknowledged that we outplayed them and deserved to win the game. I've never seen a fan base so rabidly jump on little sound bites.
BECAUSE, he said that CU was the better team? CLEARLY, based on my post you responded to, CU WAS NOT the better team. I’ve heard his post game comments, and he was graceful until this statement (“we were the better team”). I called BS and that he’s FOS for saying this, or believing this. Our game with them would have easily been a two TD win had the things I mentioned not happened for THEM….

What years did you attend CU????😎

Reactions: joefanatic

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
BECAUSE, he said that CU was the better team? CLEARLY, based on my post you responded to, CU WAS NOT the better team. I’ve heard his post game comments, and he was graceful until this statement (“we were the better team”). I called BS and that he’s FOS for saying this, or believing this. Our game with them would have easily been a two TD win had the things I mentioned not happened for THEM….
I believe he said he thought they had the better team. As I posted on here, the near consensus among Gamecock fans going into the game was that Clemson had the better team. So it ain't just Dabo who thought that. But, as Dabo, rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter who does or doesn't have the better team, you have to win it on the field. Our fans or so desperate for fodder. You obviously have to take the totality of his statements since the game. He's unequivocally stated we won fair and square, outplayed them and outcoached them. Here he is just saying what we all thought going into the game.

In the same statement he said: "You’ve got to congratulate South Carolina. They earned it. Did a heck of a job. They flat out earned it." Again, you have to take the totality of the statement and not pull one sentence, totally out of context because it seems to say what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It would be unthinkable.

The interesting decision will be who starts the bowl game. Dabo has said DJ will be on a short leash in the ACCCG. If they lose that game, I have to think the DJ era is over and Klubnik starts the bowl game. Only way I can really see DJ starting the bowl game is if they roll UNC.

FWIW, a Clemson friend of mine was texting me yesterday and said Clemson fans are eagerly looking at the portal for QB and WR transfers. I asked "aren't y'all set with Klubnik next year?" His response: "Not if he can't beat out a hot dog vendor." They seem to think there may be problems if Klubnik was not able to supplant DJ this year.

Hobcawcreekcock

Jan 22, 2022
I believe he said he thought they had the better team. As I posted on here, the near consensus among Gamecock fans going into the game was that Clemson had the better team. So it ain't just Dabo who thought that. But, as Dabo, rightly pointed out, it doesn't matter who does or doesn't have the better team, you have to win it on the field. Our fans or so desperate for fodder. You obviously have to take the totality of his statements since the game. He's unequivocally stated we won fair and square, outplayed them and outcoached them. Here he is just saying what we all thought going into the game.
Fair enough. However, that’s why games are played on the field, not in recruiting rankings, top 25 rankings, in the newspaper, or in Vegas (odds). South Carolina could have, and I’d argue should have, won that game by 10-14 points. We gifted them a TD, threw a pick in their EndZone, and got hosed, imo, by a terrible blown whistle, then a revue that must have been completed by Ray Charles on the backwards pass. CU did fumble twice and threw a pick, but we had to drive the ball to score on their Kick off fumble, the other turnovers did not result in points as I recall. I might think I can fly, but ain’t willing to jump off a mountain to find out! Lol

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
The interesting decision will be who starts the bowl game. Dabo has said DJ will be on a short leash in the ACCCG. If they lose that game, I have to think the DJ era is over and Klubnik starts the bowl game. Only way I can really see DJ starting the bowl game is if they roll UNC.

FWIW, a Clemson friend of mine was texting me yesterday and said Clemson fans are eagerly looking at the portal for QB and WR transfers. I asked "aren't y'all set with Klubnik next year?" His response: "Not if he can't beat out a hot dog vendor." They seem to think there may be problems if Klubnik was not able to supplant DJ this year.

I agree with the notion that it would be unthinkable for Dabo to start DJ next year, but I just get a weird vibe from that situation. Dabo has seemingly stuck with him against all logic.

It does make you wonder about how the new guy practices if Dabo won't give him any decent game time to win the job.

BUT, we should take advantage. Flood the airwaves etc with talk of how Dabo doesn't dare keep the headcase. Maybe he can be goaded into wasting another full season thinking he can make it work.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

TheRoo

Joined Nov 3, 2021
Feb 6, 2022
The biggest difference in this year's matchup was the absence of Brent Venables as their DC.

CriminalTrakerAlum80

Joined Oct 17, 2020
Feb 5, 2022
I will be honest in that I did not start watching the game until the fourth quarter (fact). I had to actually go back to YouTube sometime after the game and find out what had taken place for three quarters. This is what I would convey after watching only the "highlight" replays. The following mentioned plays are not in the exact order of occurrence. Take away a pick-six from Clemson and they actually trailed by eight to close out the game. Add the drop of a would-be interception by South Carolina and Clemson trailed by fifteen at the end of the game.

Run the ball from your own two-yard line three times and punt, you eliminate the safety and Clemson trailed by 17 to end the game. Recovery an obvious backward pass and return it for a touchdown... the Gamecocks now leading by 24 at the end of the game. Give the ball to Bell at the one-yard three straight times, instead of throwing a second interception in the second quarter on first down, and South Carolina's lead is 27 or 31 (FG/TD) to end the game. Take away the face-mask penalty on Wells in the fourth quarter on a play that had Bell out at the two-yard line (the series resulting in a go-ahead field goal with 10:40) South Carolina leads by 30 to 38.

Of course, for this type of outcome to take place, ONLY Clemson would have made ALL the mistakes and South Carolina would have played a PERFECT, error-free game. But as shocking as it is to even suggest this. both teams made critical mistakes that could have cost either of them the game. And in the end, it was one by Clemson. In fact, it happens every weekend during the season somewhere in the country. Just ask the Oregon Ducks. It's not a hard concept to understand. Or is it?

Last edited:

GoCocksFight2021

Jan 18, 2022
What's narcissistic about his statement?

Did you understand exactly what he did?

He made everyone in the building, the outsiders who "ain't got a freakin' clue", come watch the film so he could explain to them "what's real" and so he could give them "complete clarity" on "what happened and why". Also, he mentioned for a reason that he did it from 4 to 6 o'clock. Most admin offices close at 5pm, so he made them stay late for their explaining, almost like it was punishment. You're staying after school for some extra teaching, kids. I'm sure some of the folks with kids in daycare appreciated that. Then stated they were the better team and stated multiple times that they don't lose a lot. Even said they had chances to win. Then, because he had to, after all that stupidity, he said that SC earned, which was obvious to everyone that watched the game. I guarantee you he doesn't really believe that. The reality is that it could have been worse. They got outplayed and outcoached in every phase of the game.

Sounds like everyone isn't as "all in" as they used to be up there. Narcissists hate being questioned about anything. You saw it earlier in the week when he was questioned about the QB. He told a fan that they could find another coach if they didn't like his choice of QB. Probably been some whispering questions going around up there that he has gotten wind of and he decided to sit everybody down and tell them what they are supposed to think according to him.

We all saw what happened. They did too. He left a struggling QB in because he wasn't going to be told who he should play at QB. Questionable play calling on special teams and especially on offense with Shipley, who only touched the ball a handful of times in the 2nd half, while DJU was constantly throwing dead ducks over and over and over the entire time. He was trying to prove he knew more than the people questioning him, and it backfired. And the Monday everybody the building meeting was nothing more than his way giving those outsiders in the building a "freakin' clue".

I love it. The game was incredible, and the Dabo meltdown since makes it even better. Hopefully it will be a distraction and the loss to us beats them twice when they play UNC in the ACCCG. He threw several of his players under the bus in order to defend his decision with DJU and the loss itself. They might be less "all in" than before too. If he lose to UNC, there a good chance some epic Dabo butthurt is going to happen. Please please please let it happen.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022

Speak for yourself. Being a youth coach I always felt like my team was just as good or better than my opponent. Watch the game USC had a better team in offense, defense, special teams and lastly the will to want to win. As Paul Harvey would say you know the rest of the story.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022

In the same statement he said: "You’ve got to congratulate South Carolina. They earned it. Did a heck of a job. They flat out earned it." Again, you have to take the totality of the statement and not pull one sentence, totally out of context because it seems to say what you want.
After it is all said and done, I don't care what Dabo thinks of the Gamecocks. His team got whipped and needs to move on.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Of course, he says all the right things but then said losing to us is "unacceptable." If that isn`t disrespect I don`t know what is. Shades of the Rant.

Latest posts