LOCKED - Dawg Student. I think Elon Musk needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Too many ******** keep talking about leaving Twitter but stick around to see what people say.

I sent Elon the example of what how the SixPack handles these attention whores but maybe you should offer your services.

At a reasonable price of course.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That guy is the poster child for the idea that you can be both smart and a total moron at the same time.

His recent fight with Apple, where he accuses them of not supporting free speech because they chose to not advertise as much as they used to on Twitter is straight up hilarious. That literally is Apple supporting free speech by choosing how to use its advertising dollars.

Everyone gets to spend their money how they want. I just can't even imagine spending 44 billion to pick the fights and controversy he has created in the last month. Anyone interested in their legacy wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in bettering the world wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in making money wouldn't do what he has done.
Dumb smart people are gonna do dumb things.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That guy is the poster child for the idea that you can be both smart and a total moron at the same time.

His recent fight with Apple, where he accuses them of not supporting free speech because they chose to not advertise as much as they used to on Twitter is straight up hilarious. That literally is Apple supporting free speech by choosing how to use its advertising dollars.

Everyone gets to spend their money how they want. I just can't even imagine spending 44 billion to pick the fights and controversy he has created in the last month. Anyone interested in their legacy wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in bettering the world wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in making money wouldn't do what he has done.
Dude they are saying they will pull Twitter from the app store.

To which Musk said fine do it. I'll make my own phone and 100 million Republican Americans will buy it and get rid of their iPhones.

It's never been about the advertising. The woke mob tries to win these chess games. Can't with Musk.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014

First of all, not another dang political post, but with that being said, I'm somehow not surprised at glfr's take.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Twain Censorship.jpg

People like you and Apple are just butt hurt because y'all like censorship. Apple wants to cut people off from engaging Twitter now that Elon's taken over. Musk Twitter Competition.jpg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

action league now nicksplat GIF

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

To which Musk said fine do it. I'll make my own phone and 100 million Republican Americans will buy it and get rid of their iPhones.

It's never been about the advertising. The woke mob tries to win these chess games. Can't with Musk.

I use Twitter and it isn't thru an app.
How do I do it? Just call me Gob.
2A758EE0-3D13-46B7-80BD-6CCD1D7216F7.gif

As for what Musk meant when he suggested Apple hates free speech, he tweeted this -
"Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter. Do they hate free speech in America?"
I am not sure how you can read that and not conclude the issue is due to Apple advertising less since Musk literally ties them together in his tweet.
But I guess you can believe it means something else.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Apple ain't Twitter. He can't bully Apple and he doesn't have the resources to compete with Apple.

He can make all the impotent jabs at Apple he wants, but Apple's market cap is $2.25 Trillion. Musk may be the richest man in the world, but his net worth is 1/1000th of Apple.

If you ask people to choose between their iPhone and the Twitter app, I can give you a spoiler alert on the answer.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
People like you and Apple are just butt hurt because y'all like censorship. Apple wants to cut people off from engaging Twitter now that Elon's taken over.
I like censorship? Since when? I don't like it any more or less than the average person.
And how am I butthurt? I have never posted on Twitter and follow 3 accounts, all of which I have to follow as either a parent or coach.
I genuinely couldn't give any 17s less about Twitter than I do right now. I have an opinion, but no I don't actually care.

But this isn't about me, it's about Musk.
And contrary to what Musk claims, he loves him some censoring.
This can be clearly seen every time he bans/blocks someone for posting things he doesn't like.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You are a 17ing idiot.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Apple ain't Twitter. He can't bully Apple and he doesn't have the resources to compete with Apple.

He can make all the impotent jabs at Apple he wants, but Apple's market cap is $2.25 Trillion. Musk may be the richest man in the world, but his net worth is 1/1000th of Apple.

If you ask people to choose between their iPhone and the Twitter app, I can give you a spoiler alert on the answer.
Close but you missed the point

It's would be a fight of free speech vs the woke mob running a company (Apple) like they were running Twitter. Censoring /cancelling the Republican voices.

Your personal opinion on Musk, Apple, Twitter, iPhone or Android is irrelevant.

And yes I can say with certainty that if Apple/ Tim Cook pull the Twitter app from the App Store, Musk will make a phone. It's not that difficult. And based on principle alone, despite the fact that iPhone is a slightly better phone, people will ditch the woke mob owned phone.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

It's would be a fight of free speech vs the woke mob running a company (Apple) like they were running Twitter. Censoring /cancelling the Republican voices.

And yes I can say with certainty that if Apple/ Tim Cook pull the Twitter app from the App Store, Musk will make a phone. It's not that difficult. And based on principle alone, despite the fact that iPhone is a slightly better phone, people will ditch the woke mob owned phone.
I didn't see or hear much 'canceling the Republican voices' though.
I can't say I ever heard of someone complaining that they were banned from Twitter for claiming trickledown economics actually works. I haven't heard of someone saying they were banned for claiming the private sector and free markets will provide the best path towards prosperity. I really can't remember a time when someone was banned for advocating whatever trade policy the Republican party supports(I genuinely can't remember since there are so many competing voices from that side with varying views).
It seems those who have been banned were largely in a general group that I would classify as 'hateful rabblerousers'. Spittin hate across the platform, lobbing out baseless theories that are dangerously believed by others, and more.

Now perhaps all that should exist on Twitter. Cool, let it all exist on Twitter, it's Musk's company so he can do whatever. Let Twitter become a large version of Parler. Like I said, I could not give a 17 if it does.
But if Twitter goes to a model of 'all content is allowed' then nobody should be surprised if some brands choose to take their advertising dollars elsewhere, least of all Musk. Of course, some other advertisers will then come in and want to market to whatever user bases then use Twitter so maybe it'll be a wash.

As for a new phone, I don't think it's as easy as you claim. Massive global companies have come and gone in the phone dept. He will really make an entirely new phone and operating system to stand alone from ios and Android? That seems...not very well thought out and more of an emotional decision.
Of course this guy did buy twitter for $44 billion and then do everything he could to try and get out of the deal, so he has a recent track record of following thru on poorly thought out ideas.
What carriers would put that phone in their stores?...or would he just create a phone company too?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

If they would only sell Apple products to certain people we might care what they do I have used Apple products since 1995, and I worked for Apple for about six years, but they can take the advertising away and STFU. #Chineseslavelabor

Reactions: WilCoDawg

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Elon Musk believes in censorship. No idea where this free speech/no censorship pedestal he's being placed on came from. No holds barred twitter policy will just turn it into an expensive 4chan. I doubt he intends to sink his investment to achieve some ideal that people deep down dont want.

When is he getting rid of the bots? That's good censorship that nearly everybody is screaming for.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Elon Musk believes in censorship. No idea where this free speech/no censorship pedestal he's being placed on came from. No holds barred twitter policy will just turn it into an expensive 4chan. I doubt he intends to sink his investment to achieve some ideal that people deep down dont want.

When is he getting rid of the bots? That's good censorship that nearly everybody is screaming for.
Check out how they are running the new time line algorithm. Less hate shared. Banning child predators, etc.

Limits on free speech below

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That wasn't a political post. I stated my opinion of Musk as a public brand.
That's fine. Speaking for myself

When you create own electric vehichles, provide these vehicles and jobs for thousands of people
no matter who they are

Create your own space program and revolutionize how it works & let ordinary people be a part of it, no matter who they are

Do this all with your own money

we might listen and care exactly what you think of Elon Musk.

I admit people who are not Democrats have latched on to Elon Musk for their own reasons but at least somebody is speaking for ordinary people and not telling them that they are stupid or backwards because they don't believe everything the curent government is telling them

The status quo cannot stand Elon Musk because they cannot control him. They used to all sing his praises, and talk about how great he was until he showed everyone how hypocritical they were.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

My opinion is irrelevant, but this is a message board and I just don't think this is going to go the way you think it is.

When Parler and Truth Social started, it was in large part due to what some felt was the "woke mob" silencing right wing voices. There was no mass exodus of Twitter users to Parler or Truth though. Nobody created a viable alternative to Twitter, so Elon Musk bought it. He simply can't do that with Apple because he doesn't have that kind of cash. If it wasn't that difficult to make a viable competitor to the iPhone and iOS, there would be more out there than just the litany of Android devices. Ask Amazon how their Fire Phone went or Microsoft what happened to Windows Phone.

Those left-wing voices you're hearing now announcing their departure are just the counter-swing of the right-wing voices announcing their departure since Biden was elected and Trump was kicked off Twitter. I will say this though, I'm seeing far more people creating "backup" accounts on Mastodon and Hive because they doubt Elon Musk's ability to continue running Twitter as a viable product for any length of time and want a place to go if/when Twitter crashes (or worse, sets a pay wall), not because they plan on some politically-motivated mass exodus from Twitter over content moderation or lack thereof.

Speaking of the pay wall, I think that's pretty clearly what this spat with Apple is mostly about. Musk can grandstand about free speech all he wants, but this is about Apple taking 30% of his $8/mo.

I promise I'm not trying to get into some deep philosophical debate with you, but I do feel like "free speech" and "right to a platform" are two totally different things. If I come on here to SPS and post a bunch of spam or constantly troll or start 70 political threads in a day, then there's a chance one of the moderators would ban me from SPS (and rightfully so). They would not be violating my freedom of speech by banning me from SPS, but they would be de-platforming me from their platform, which they have every right to do.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Republicans are going to march lockstep away from iOS over some political issue between billionaires.

Besides, every iPhone user knows that people that show up with blue message bubbles are infinitely more attractive than people that show up with green ones.***

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

When you create own electric vehichles, provide these vehicles and jobs for thousands of people
no matter who they are

Create your own space program and revolutionize how it works & let ordinary people be a part of it, no matter who they are

I admit people who are not Democrats have latched on to Elon Musk for their own reasons but at least somebody is speaking for ordinary people and not telling them that they are stupid or backwards because they don't believe everything the curent government is telling them

The status quo cannot stand Elon Musk because they cannot control him. They used to all sing his praises, and talk about how great he was until he showed everyone how hypocritical they were.
Wouldn't your dismissive comments about how I haven't created all that wealth also apply to everyone else who hasn't created that wealth yet has commented on Musk? That would only seem right, right? So in your scenario, all those who sing his praises are also dismissed away just like I am.
Great, so apparently Bezos, Gates, the Google guys, and a couple guys of Middle Eastern royalty are wealthy enough and have created enough jobs to qualify as having an opinion listen to when it comes to Musk.
Somehow I doubt that's what you intended, yet it is exactly what you are saying.

I am an ordinary person and am told I am stupid and backwards all the time on here. I dismiss it because 50 gonna 50 every time it has a chance to.
Point is, you are coming off like someone who is desperate for a safe space when you talk about how happy some apparently are to see Musk 'owning the libs' and validating their views.
Musk doesn't give a 17 about ordinary people when he is making decisions for Twitter, Tesla, or SpaceX. But go ahead and hold him up high if you wish.

It's funny to me that so many are happy Twitter will allow dangerous lies, disinformation, and hate. Like, why is that what people are focused on?
Oh well, I will just chalk that up to yet another thing I don't understand in life.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

no matter who they are

That's right. He's currently praised by non Dems due to his current hobby of owning the libs. The libs have taken offense. He will do something sooner or later to piss off the non Dems as his loyalties are, like most high performing people, to himself. He's quirky and unpredictable. I doubt he aligns with anyone's ideals for more than short periods of time.

At any rate, twitter isn't real life. This is all overhyped and overanalyzed. If anything, I should probably just delete twitter to have one less non-essential distraction influencing my mood. Damn thing might be more addictive than smoking.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Wouldn't your dismissive comments about how I haven't created all that wealth also apply to everyone else who hasn't created that wealth yet has commented on Musk? That would only seem right, right? So in your scenario, all those who sing his praises are also dismissed away just like I am.
Great, so apparently Bezos, Gates, the Google guys, and a couple guys of Middle Eastern royalty are wealthy enough and have created enough jobs to qualify as having an opinion listen to when it comes to Musk.
Somehow I doubt that's what you intended, yet it is exactly what you are saying.

I am an ordinary person and am told I am stupid and backwards all the time on here. I dismiss it because 50 gonna 50 every time it has a chance to.
Point is, you are coming off like someone who is desperate for a safe space when you talk about how happy some apparently are to see Musk 'owning the libs' and validating their views.
Musk doesn't give a 17 about ordinary people when he is making decisions for Twitter, Tesla, or SpaceX. But go ahead and hold him up high if you wish.

It's funny to me that so many are happy Twitter will allow dangerous lies, disinformation, and hate. Like, why is that what people are focused on?
Oh well, I will just chalk that up to yet another thing I don't understand in life.
I’ll say the same thing to you I said to one of my sisters in law(while sitting outside at the Reagan Library), you’re entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
My opinion is irrelevant, but this is a message board and I just don't think this is going to go the way you think it is.

When Parler and Truth Social started, it was in large part due to what some felt was the "woke mob" silencing right wing voices. There was no mass exodus of Twitter users to Parler or Truth though. Nobody created a viable alternative to Twitter, so Elon Musk bought it. He simply can't do that with Apple because he doesn't have that kind of cash. If it wasn't that difficult to make a viable competitor to the iPhone and iOS, there would be more out there than just the litany of Android devices. Ask Amazon how their Fire Phone went or Microsoft what happened to Windows Phone.

Those left-wing voices you're hearing now announcing their departure are just the counter-swing of the right-wing voices announcing their departure since Biden was elected and Trump was kicked off Twitter. I will say this though, I'm seeing far more people creating "backup" accounts on Mastodon and Hive because they doubt Elon Musk's ability to continue running Twitter as a viable product for any length of time and want a place to go if/when Twitter crashes (or worse, sets a pay wall), not because they plan on some politically-motivated mass exodus from Twitter over content moderation or lack thereof.

Speaking of the pay wall, I think that's pretty clearly what this spat with Apple is mostly about. Musk can grandstand about free speech all he wants, but this is about Apple taking 30% of his $8/mo.

I promise I'm not trying to get into some deep philosophical debate with you, but I do feel like "free speech" and "right to a platform" are two totally different things. If I come on here to SPS and post a bunch of spam or constantly troll or start 70 political threads in a day, then there's a chance one of the moderators would ban me from SPS (and rightfully so). They would not be violating my freedom of speech by banning me from SPS, but they would be de-platforming me from their platform, which they have every right to do.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Republicans are going to march lockstep away from iOS over some political issue between billionaires.

Besides, every iPhone user knows that people that show up with blue message bubbles are infinitely more attractive than people that show up with green ones.***
Crazy that Americans use iMessage and other countries don't.

Facebook/Parlor/Apple and Twitter/Apple are not correlated. Twitter is literally allowing open dialogue from both sides.

Apple (and Google btw) won't pull Twitter from their app stores. The threat by Musk to make his own phone is real enough for them both to lose hundreds of millions of annual revenue.

I just like seeing people in the ambiguous woke mob being put in their place. And Musk did that recently. With both Apple and Google. Trillion dollar companies. Was fun to watch.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Oh, no! Everything he has done doesn't mean **** and does not mean he might have the ability to be at the head of one of our social media arms?

I find it amusing that nobody gave a damn about Twitter's role in supposed free speech and democracy (hahahaha) until someone other than the Clique was running one of the media outlets. By the way, I don't care which one of you idiots are in charge of anything Republicans or Democrats. I'm just tired of you trying to tell me this is just rain falling down my back.

I will end for good with political threads for now with this even though you will keep sucking me back into these arguments, I'm gonna do my best to stay out of them from now on and BTW this is not directed at you in anyway, seriously.

I'm tired of this whole Twitter crap just becoming another political mess that keeps dominating our everday discussions about anything. Who brought all these politics to the forefront? I know it wasn't the every day person. He and she is worried about every day things like feeding our family, and being in love with our partner and maybe children We've got bigger problems than 17ing twitter but it takes a good job of taking peoples minds off inflation and trying to feed their family and pay their bills every day doesn't it

Later

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’ll say the same thing to you I said to one of my sisters in law(while sitting outside at the Reagan Library), you’re entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.
Cool line to crib.
Yes, it is my opinion that lies which flourish and create unrest or even violence are dangerous. It is also my opinion that hate, bigotry, racism, and more are dangerous to the stability of our society.

Clearly some disagree with me and think that stuff is not only OK, but should be encouraged.

Reactions: vandaldawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I find it amusing that nobody gave a damn about Twitter's role in supposed free speech and democracy (hahahaha) until someone other than the Clique was running one of the media outlets.
You clearly haven't been paying attention if you think the discussion about twitter's(and social media as a whole) role in free speech wasn't cared about until Musk bought the company.

We've got bigger problems than 17ing twitter but it takes a good job of taking peoples minds off inflation and trying to feed their family and pay their bills every day doesn't it.
Fully agree.

It's funny- my first post had nothing political written as it was just me posting how I don't like Musk as a brand. Yet people viewed the post thru a political lens and now here we are, deep into politics of the story.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

Several thing to point out here:

1- There was a mass exodus from Twitter. It's not that they went to a different platform, it was because they were de-platformed by Twitter. They had been banning people for a long time.

2- Next is the difference between this message board and twitter style apps. In laws governing. In how they classify themselves. Publisher or not. The way several of these are set up, they are considered a public square. You can not operate and ban people from the public square for saying masks do what work (happened alot) or that you are concerned about the shot (happened alot) and ask for those gov protections.

The 5th ruled this year:

Federal court rules Big Tech has no 'freewheeling First Amendment right to censor'​

Fifth Circuit said the platforms argued for "a rather odd inversion of the First Amendment" that "buried somewhere in the person’s enumerated right to free speech lies a corporation’s unenumerated right to muzzle speech."

"Today we reject the idea that corporations have a freewheeling First Amendment right to censor what people say,"

This will head to the SCOTUS. And they have already given indications that they are going to uphold the 5th. Not only that, some have indicated they are monopolies saying “the concentrated control of so much speech in the hands of a few private parties” is troubling.

3- Next is the monopoly of Big Tech. The whole "build your own" was flat out proven you can't with a company called GAB. Big tech got together and deplatformed them. Google can crush any company within that sphere, They did it with them. They even threatened banks and more to defund GAB... and they did it.

PayPal and Stripe cut off service to the social network, and credit card companies followed a year later. The social network has also been blacklisted by the Apple App store and the Google Play store, hampering its ability to reach consumers on smartphones. Google and Mozilla, creator of the Firefox web browser, also banned a Gab commenting extension from their browsers.

4- People are very aware now of what's happening. Ask Disney who just lost a crap ton of money and the film was the biggest flop in the history of Disney and it prompted the returned CEO to say he is steering clear of involving the company in politics from this point forward. If you think that people are not paying attention to all of this, just venture out and look. So when you say people will not walk away from iPhones... going to disagree with you.

So while I agree, people can spend their money how they want, it does not mean that Apple can. They have an obligation to the stockholders. Pulling Twitter from their store will cost Apple money, thus wealth of the stockholders. They day that happens (and I personally think they will because they have in the past) is the day that apple stocks drop. Twitter is that big.

6- YES SIR!! a person can be smart and lack common sense. See it regularly.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

Elon is trying to build a digital financial institution, like WeChat for the western world. He wants to replace PayPal. The social media aspect is a side show.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I didn't see or hear much 'canceling the Republican voices' though.
I can't say I ever heard of someone complaining that they were banned from Twitter for claiming trickledown economics actually works. I haven't heard of someone saying they were banned for claiming the private sector and free markets will provide the best path towards prosperity. I really can't remember a time when someone was banned for advocating whatever trade policy the Republican party supports(I genuinely can't remember since there are so many competing voices from that side with varying views).
It seems those who have been banned were largely in a general group that I would classify as 'hateful rabblerousers'. Spittin hate across the platform, lobbing out baseless theories that are dangerously believed by others, and more.

Now perhaps all that should exist on Twitter. Cool, let it all exist on Twitter, it's Musk's company so he can do whatever. Let Twitter become a large version of Parler. Like I said, I could not give a 17 if it does.
But if Twitter goes to a model of 'all content is allowed' then nobody should be surprised if some brands choose to take their advertising dollars elsewhere, least of all Musk. Of course, some other advertisers will then come in and want to market to whatever user bases then use Twitter so maybe it'll be a wash.

As for a new phone, I don't think it's as easy as you claim. Massive global companies have come and gone in the phone dept. He will really make an entirely new phone and operating system to stand alone from ios and Android? That seems...not very well thought out and more of an emotional decision.
Of course this guy did buy twitter for $44 billion and then do everything he could to try and get out of the deal, so he has a recent track record of following thru on poorly thought out ideas.
What carriers would put that phone in their stores?...or would he just create a phone company too

Bubble Boy Quarantine GIF by Cameo

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
If people think Musk couldn’t make a phone that rivals iPhone, have they seen his other ventures? My mind is still blown by the reusable rockets landing on floating platforms. But that’s probably a lot easier than making a neat phone.** There’s also that little car hobby of his. That idea seems to have some wheels though.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

You say that, but Republicans were all cancel culture about Twitter a couple of years ago when Trump got banned and said they were leaving for Truth Social. They didn’t. They are still on Twitter, and that’s as easy as downloading an app. I really hope this doesn’t happen because all of us Gen Xers and Millennials are going to have to show Boomers how to use their new phones****

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Elon help make Pay Pal successful. He made Tesla successful. I think he knows what he is doing and saying. He is the richest man in the world. I am sure he will make Facebook successful and his new phone. No doubt in my mind that will happen no matter how many on the left now hate him and hope he fails.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I like censorship? Since when? I don't like it any more or less than the average person.
And how am I butthurt? I have never posted on Twitter and follow 3 accounts, all of which I have to follow as either a parent or coach.
I genuinely couldn't give any 17s less about Twitter than I do right now. I have an opinion, but no I don't actually care.

But this isn't about me, it's about Musk.
And contrary to what Musk claims, he loves him some censoring.
This can be clearly seen every time he bans/blocks someone for posting things he doesn't like.
The only thing he doesn't like is fake accounts. Your butt hurt is showing just like the Hollywood Left and others are showing because people y'all don't like are now able to use a platform where their voices are no longer silenced and their audience isn't artificially shrunk.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If people think Musk couldn’t make a phone that rivals iPhone, have they seen his other ventures? My mind is still blown by the reusable rockets landing on floating platforms. But that’s probably a lot easier than making a neat phone.** There’s also that little car hobby of his. That idea seems to have some wheels though.
Personally, I’d love to see the phone he would come up with. The problem would be that all the big cell providers wouldn’t support it somehow as a sign of their wokeness.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My favorite thing about Elon is how people from both sides of the aisle are completely willing to flip on certain things or ignore them to love or hate him. It's encouraging that someone who has both left and right ideals can be so widely loved and hated.

- Elon doesn't want to limit speech on Twitter and is letting most cancelled people back on.

- Elon was extremely anti lockdown and thought covid was overblown.

- Elon is singlehandedly trying to kill fossil fuels and with Tesla and Solar City. He believes climate change is the greatest threat to human civilization to the point we need to populate Mars.

- Tesla has made billions off of carbon credits and government subsidies for EVs and solar.

- Elon is also as beholden and supportive/reliant on China as anyone. He will always support Xi and the CCP because without China Tesla goes poof.

A pro China climate change activist is now supported by the right and bemoaned by the left because of a social media platform that up until this year was just a place Musk posted memes. Fascinating to watch.

I personally believe in free speech and free markets. Twitter and FB can censor whoever they want as a business. If you don't like it, buy those mother17ers out and flip the script.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Elon is trying to build a digital financial institution, like WeChat for the western world. He wants to replace PayPal. The social media aspect is a side show.

He wants to replace PayPal? Didnt he start PayPal back before ebay bought it and made it hugely successful? Interesting that he would now want to replace it.
Add to my first comment in this thread- I cant believe someone would spend $44billion on a side show. I would think if he wants to build a digital financial institution, he would spend his money on that. Since Musk did everything he could to try and back out of the Twitter purchase, it appears he also thought that money would be better spent on building a digital financial institution.

Elon help make Pay Pal successful. He made Tesla successful. I think he knows what he is doing and saying. He is the richest man in the world. I am sure he will make Facebook successful and his new phone. No doubt in my mind that will happen no matter how many on the left now hate him and hope he fails.
Elon helped make PayPal successful enough to be desired by a large tech company. Its ebay that really made PayPal successful. If he wants to build a new phone and platform, cool. I think more competition in that market would be good. The current Freakonomics episode is about whether or not the current way Google collects revenue is best for the user experience, and much of that focuses on how user innovation is low and may be higher with more competition.

Does 'the left' hate Musk now? I have always thought of 'the left' as far too fractured to have a unifying voice on almost anything. If they do, they are shortsighted. Musk will always do what Musk wants and that will at some point alienate many current followers because they are too dumb to realize you shouldnt raise up and follow someone who is only about their own interests.
Musk voted for Hillary, Biden, and Obama. He has supported a universal basic income. All this was before he decided to start playing his current role of outrage issue instigator and try to fill the void left on the right by Trump's reduced relevance.
When Musk finds something new to latch onto, he will. Who knows which side it will benefit, but I can say with confidence it will benefit him.

Reactions: vandaldawg
Status
Not open for further replies.