LOCKED - Dawg Student. I think Elon Musk needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Thanks for the video.
While talking about something else, he did briefly mention paypal and that he could create a better version.
Shortly after, he then said that a social media platform needs to be a net positive and if its filled with antisemitism and racism, he wont be able to get 80% of Americans to use it. I look forward to seeing how he manages to keep those things off a platform without restricting content.
He’s spoken elsewhere about wanting to recreate WeChat. If you’re not familiar, it’s like an all-in-one app in China that combines the functions of social media and online financial services. My guess is he wants to create a global ID system like the G20 members focused so heavily on a couple months ago. They want to couple a global ID system with digital welfare payments to citizens in need.

If nothing else, Elon is great at getting government to find his projects, he’s like a corporate welfare king. He has put a lot of emphasis on getting as many users payment verified as possible. It is the “know your customer” policy. On the surface it is to reduce troll activity but I suspect it is to eliminate online anonymity in general and bolster his pitch to governments for R&D dollars to build out the ID/financial system. If he is successful it would indeed be the largest financial institution in the world.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Pruneyard supports that States can grant additional affirmative rights not guaranteed by the US Constitution so long as it does not infringe on Federal rights. In this case it was incremental rights granted by the State of California. It's not a blanket ruling for all shopping malls in the US. Even if it were applied here, Pruneyard still leaves the door open for Twitter to flag content, disassociate with it, claim it is fake news, etc. Do you think that's going to fly with the folks that view twitter as a public square? I don't think the people screaming the loudest will be satisfied with anything short of being able to say what they want without a challenge from the property owner "bc muh rights".

Again, already ruled on it. The ruling is going to upheld. OR they are going to ose their rights under sec 230.... at that point, they will get sued out of business.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Nobody on The Right's trying to limit The Left's opinions yet If anybody says Twitter wasn't cancelling The Right's opinions and / or limiting the audience of conservative viewpoints they are lying. Funny how The Left likes to use the terms "Nazi" and "Fascist" yet wanna rule the information highways in Joseph Goebbels fashion. And since when did only one side of the political spectrum have a monopoly on what's "Safe" and what's "Disinformation"?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Again, already ruled on it. The ruling is going to upheld. OR they are going to ose their rights under sec 230.... at that point, they will get sued out of business.
Ubcherrypickin

Not a settled matter.

Reactions: Dawgg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
From his wiki bio:
He moved to California in 1995 to attend Stanford University, but dropped out after two days to instead pursue a business career, co-founding the web software company Zip2 with his brother Kimbal; the startup was acquired by Compaq for $307 million in 1999. The same year, Musk co-founded the online bank X.com, which merged with Confinity in 2000 to form PayPal. eBay bought PayPal in 2002 for $1.5 billion.

In 2002, Musk founded SpaceX, an aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company, and is its CEO and chief engineer. In 2004, he was an early investor in the electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla Motors, Inc. (now Tesla, Inc.). He became its chairman and product architect, eventually assuming the position of CEO in 2008. "

Let me assure you, even that is charitable. He profited off his brothers work, bought his way into Tesla. That's pretty much it. He's not an imbecile, but he's no genius. He's SBF.
So you are equating Musk to Sam Bankman-Fried? 1669834250751.gif

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Nobody on The Right's trying to limit The Left's opinions yet If anybody says Twitter wasn't cancelling The Right's opinions and / or limiting the audience of conservative viewpoints they are lying. Funny how The Left likes to use the terms "Nazi" and "Fascist" yet wanna rule the information highways in Joseph Goebbels fashion. And since when did only one side of the political spectrum have a monopoly on what's "Safe" and what's "Disinformation"?
My guess is it's determined by which side's ****** is sandiest at any given moment.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He wants to replace PayPal? Didnt he start PayPal back before ebay bought it and made it hugely successful? Interesting that he would now want to replace it.
Add to my first comment in this thread- I cant believe someone would spend $44billion on a side show. I would think if he wants to build a digital financial institution, he would spend his money on that. Since Musk did everything he could to try and back out of the Twitter purchase, it appears he also thought that money would be better spent on building a digital financial institution.
Yes, though that's probably unfair to SBF.
When is that SOB going to jail or did, he line the enough pockets in DC to stay out?

Jul 5, 2020
Close but you missed the point

It's would be a fight of free speech vs the woke mob running a company (Apple) like they were running Twitter. Censoring /cancelling the Republican voices.

Your personal opinion on Musk, Apple, Twitter, iPhone or Android is irrelevant.

And yes I can say with certainty that if Apple/ Tim Cook pull the Twitter app from the App Store, Musk will make a phone. It's not that difficult. And based on principle alone, despite the fact that iPhone is a slightly better phone, people will ditch the woke mob owned phone.
I would love the opportunity to short your position on the MuskPhone. "It's not that difficult."

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe. Or maybe he makes them money, and they don't care about the rest. Or maybe he controls the board. Talented grifters can he good for the business too. How much of Teslas success can be attributed to the car itself, and how much to Elons obvious lies about self driving that snookered so many? I don't know.

At some point he hired someone who's at least competent, that's true. There are people below him doing good work. But let's not celebrate that low low bar as something marvelous.

SBF made a lot of money too, btw. He's an idiot too.

Probably because they didn't inherit the proceeds from a south African diamond mine.

Or almost certainly, that ground breaking entrepreneurs tend to be eccentric in different ways, and often are successful in part because they are not tied down by fidelity to the truth or rules. Jobs lied like Biden and Trump. Same boundary pushing/crossing that helped Travis Kalanick push Uber forward made him somewhat toxic to be around. Musk doesn't think the rules apply to him and has no compunction about selling a theoretical project as something that is about to start production. Damn near every project he's had (or maybe every?) has been a scam at some point if you compared what he said at the time to what was actually feasible at the time. How many Tesla models has he "released" to pump up excitement when they don't even have a functional prototype? "Self" driving? Remember the solar shingles? The boring company apparently just goes around and enters into discussions but never actually agrees to anything binding outside of I guess a project in Las Vegas? I'm not exactly sure how it exists as a company. Not as familiar with SpaceX or Starlink. It appears that the promises for Starlink have basically been grounded in reality as far as I remember? I guess SpaceX to? But it may be that I just didn't pay attention and he actually promised ten years ago that they were a months away from doing what they can do now ten years later. I don't know that you get the funding he has gotten without being "visionary" (or delusional? or a fabulist? or a fraudster? arguably any or all of those could apply). Lots of it will probably flame out but it also appears that he has managed to pull some off.

I still think Tesla's valuation is somewhat ridiculous, but the question used to be whether and when he could even turn a profit without subsidies. He incinerated a lot of cash before reaching that point. I'm not sure that would have been possible if he were grounded in reality.

And that also doesn't mean that he's some great person or anything. He seems to share some values I think are important with respect to free speech. But I'm under no illusion that he is somehow on my or anybody else's side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibdancin

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
That guy is the poster child for the idea that you can be both smart and a total moron at the same time.

His recent fight with Apple, where he accuses them of not supporting free speech because they chose to not advertise as much as they used to on Twitter is straight up hilarious. That literally is Apple supporting free speech by choosing how to use its advertising dollars.

Everyone gets to spend their money how they want. I just can't even imagine spending 44 billion to pick the fights and controversy he has created in the last month. Anyone interested in their legacy wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in bettering the world wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in making money wouldn't do what he has done.
Dumb smart people are gonna do dumb things.
You say that, but Republicans were all cancel culture about Twitter a couple of years ago when Trump got banned and said they were leaving for Truth Social. They didn’t. They are still on Twitter, and that’s as easy as downloading an app. I really hope this doesn’t happen because all of us Gen Xers and Millennials are going to have to show Boomers how to use their new phones****
You seem to be painting with a broad brush. I left Twitter for Truth Social, Parker, and GETTR (and Facebook) in November 2020 when they banned Trump. I recently, about a month ago, came back to Twitter after Musk bought it. I still am off Facebook.

Turnabout is only fair since Boomers showed Gen Xers and Millennials how to eat, drive, read, and not crap their pants before you knew how to do that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You are kidding right? Corporate Personhood is a bedrock core of the American system. Yes, the Supreme Court does think Corporations are people and they said so directly in the Citizens United case. Without the concept of Corporate Personhood a LOT would change in the US. Probably for the better. So, I hope they do this.
Why don't you provide a cite for this? I think you'll find they expressly acknowledged that corporations are not natural persons but that persons acting through a corporation don't simply lose their free speech rights.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Or almost certainly, that ground breaking entrepreneurs tend to be eccentric in different ways, and often are successful in part because they are not tied down by fidelity to the truth or rules. Jobs liked like Biden and Trump. Same boundary pushing/crossing that helped Travis Kalanick push Uber forward made him somewhat toxic to be around. Musk doesn't think the rules apply to him and has no compunction about selling a theoretical project as something that is about to start production. Damn near every project he's had (or maybe every?) has been a scam at some point if you compared what he said at the time to what was actually feasible at the time. How many Tesla models has he "released" to pump up excitement when they don't even have a functional prototype? "Self" driving? Remember the solar shingles? The boring company apparently just goes around and enters into discussions but never actually agrees to anything binding outside of I guess a project in Las Vegas? I'm not exactly sure how it exists as a company. Not as familiar with SpaceX or Starlink. It appears that the promises for Starlink have basically been grounded in reality as far as I remember? I guess SpaceX to? But it may be that I just didn't pay attention and he actually promised ten years ago that they were a months away from doing what they can do now ten years later. I don't know that you get the funding he has gotten without being "visionary" (or delusional? or a fabulist? or a fraudster? arguably any or all of those could apply). Lots of it will probably flame out but it also appears that he has managed to pull some off.

I still think Tesla's valuation is somewhat ridiculous, but the question used to be whether and when he could even turn a profit without subsidies. He incinerated a lot of cash before reaching that point. I'm not sure that would have been possible if he were grounded in reality.

And that also doesn't mean that he's some great person or anything. He seems to share some values I think are important with respect to free speech. But I'm under no illusion that he is somehow on my or anybody else's side.
People and bidness owners are allowed to talk about their visions and dreams all they want even if they don't come to fruition as they are not harming anyone by doing so. I care not about Elon's narcissism or things he's said and supported that I disagree with. All I know now is that he IS on my side regarding his policies with Twitter. Kinda like I feel about Trump as I think he's an A$$hole but I like the way he ran the WH.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dear Mods,

I'm sorry I started this. I didn't mean it to turn into a left versus right dick measuring contest I was just using our rule of if you say you're gonna leave we will just help you along in an attempt to make a joke.

Please...

pirates abandon thread GIF

I am tired of these bots posing as posters. They might have once been posters, but now they're all vying for a job on MSNBC or Fox news.

Sports please

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We dont have a basketball game until Saturday, dont play a football game for another 4 weeks, and dont even know what bowl we will be in.
I guess another thread about Freeze could be started where his past indiscretions are mentioned, in case the 1 person who uses this forum and hadnt known happens to be active and click on the thread.

Meanwhile, I was just pushed an article that details more people were banned from Twitter. Apparently some guy named Andy Ngo is reporting accounts that are tied to antifa. His view of what is antifa seems...suspect. One of the banned accounts is a guy that helped find a suspect who had beaten a police officer at the j6 'gathering'. But regardless, why would anyone with antifa be suspended? Why would any proudboys be suspended? All are welcome, right?

I would love for twitter, fb, ig, and tiktok to be tossed in the incinerator. 2004 was a fine year.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Threads like these always amuse me. Some folks post in these "discussions" yet rarely, if ever, participate in sports related topics. It's simply interesting, and possibly very telling.
Sad, but it’s the twisted dimension we’re living now.

Interesting to think that we at some point inverted generations. College students used to be the tip of the spear for advocating free thought and expression, and would debate in behalf of their cause. Now, they feel “entitled” to freedom of speech, sexual freedom, abortion and free tuition, but ironically, any counterpoint is toxic hate speech and must be silenced.

Back to your point, politics and sports have been unfortunately woven together. The moment Elon takes over the networks and puts all MSU games in blackout because of Mississippi’s reluctance to embrace EV’s is the moment I embrace the bridge troll life.

It’s scary because it’s possible.

10 years ago I would have never dreamed we’d be debating the things we are. Our news, information, entertainment, and communications are all funneled through a subscription of some sort, which was stupid.

Our freedoms weren’t taken. We slowly gave them away.

Pass me another scotch. Peace. Where’s the tylenol

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I would love the opportunity to short your position on the MuskPhone. "It's not that difficult."
would be ready in less than 12 months and based on Android with another app store. 99% of the base hardware, OS and apps are already complete with android today. the big question would be the android app store used and getting android apps to be added to another new app store instead of just the google play store. (google could possibly pull twitter as well and if they do that Musk would need to make an app store like Amazon has already done for Android apps)

whats funny to me is watching people pay 2 times as much for an iphone when they use 4 apps that work the same on Android phones that cost $300. iphone is the nicest phone but its not worth sending apple 100% profit margin especially if they force some far left censorship on their customers, deciding what you can see on "your" phone, they already decide what you can install on "your" phone.

btw, in case you missed it, here is your pregnant man emoji that was pushed to your list of iphone emoji's recently, enjoy
1669842644881.png

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
would be ready in less than 12 months and based on Android with another app store. 99% of the base hardware, OS and apps are already complete with android today. the big question would be the android app store used and getting android apps to be added to another new app store instead of just the google play store. (google could possibly pull twitter as well and if they do that Musk would need to make an app store like Amazon has already done for Android apps)

whats funny to me is watching people pay 2 times as much for an iphone when they use 4 apps that work the same on Android phones that cost $300. iphone is the nicest phone but its not worth sending apple 100% profit margin especially if they force some far left censorship on their customers, deciding what you can see on "your" phone, they already decide what you can install on "your" phone.

btw, in case you missed it, here is your pregnant man emoji that was pushed to your list of iphone emoji's recently, enjoy
View attachment 271323
I bought an iphone 4 months ago because I needed a new phone and my entire family, nuclear and extended, have iphones. I wanted to be able to face time with a niece and kid at college too.
It is comically limiting compared to my Samsung, but whatever- each of these has positives and negatives. Facetime is a big positive.

Anyways, if Apple pulls twitter from their store, will twitter no longer work when I go to the website on my phone? Of course it will still work. Every person with an iphone could continue to read twitter and get as outraged as they want, even if twitter isnt in the store.

As for that emoji, I just cant get mad at it. Its too funny looking. That means I am transphobic I guess? I am not, but whatever.
I have never sent an emoji, its a thing, so I havent even looked at all the emojis I have. I just checked and my keyboard doesnt have the preggo guy. I use a Swiftkey for a keyboard since its easier to use compared to Apple's standard keyboard and Swiftkey has the pregnant woman, but not guy.
The guy is in the emojis for the standard keyboard.
I am trying to pull up any emotion here, but just dont have any 17s to give when it comes to emojis.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
So your position, your facts, are that no liberals have been banned/sidelined by Twitter?
Only if they professed to wanting to carry out a Kathy Lee Gifford Style Decapitation of another poster perhaps. Even then, I'd be shocked if they even complained. Afterall, they banned a former Prez but accept Jihad Groups with open arms.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes, it is my opinion that lies which flourish and create unrest or even violence are dangerous. It is also my opinion that hate, bigotry, racism, and
I don’t think anyone disagrees with this do they?

where is Elon Musk lying? Who is lying?

does hate bigotry and racism always bother you?
How about liberals who hate Elon for no reason other than they think he’s right leaning (he’s not)?
How about libs who hate Donald trump? Is that dangerous?
How about bigotry in china, Iran and other places libs don’t call out?

or is hate only bad when they hate something you agree with?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You say that, but Republicans were all cancel culture about Twitter a couple of years ago when Trump got banned and said they were leaving for Truth Social. They didn’t. They are still on Twitter, and that’s as easy as downloading an app. I really hope this doesn’t happen because all of us Gen Xers and Millennials are going to have to show Boomers how to use their new phones****
Saying you will leave Twitter or pull advertising is one thing.

saying you will pull Twitter from the App Store when you have a monopoly is another thing.

not surprised you don’t see the difference.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He was spot on. Apple choosing not to advertise is called free market economy. It will either hurt them or help them, or maybe they don't care and don't want to be associated with a crazy dude. Related note, I saw an explanation by a former SpaceX employee who basically said that they had built guardrails to properly keep them from Elon's crazy and the make sure that his input didn't mess up what they were doing. A whole system of people built to placate Elon while isolating the company from his harm. They asserted that Twitter simply did not have the time to do that in that Elon just bought them and started "running" it. They have no idea, and maybe no way, to marginalize his input so they are screwed.
No he’s a 17ing idiot for thinking Elon musk is dumb.

And it’s pretty clear apple threatened to pull twitter from the App Store.

he also made this genius comment “Anyone interested in their legacy wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in bettering the world wouldn't do what he has done. Anyone interested in making money wouldn't do what he has done.”

yeah I’m sure mstateglfr has a pulse legacy, bettering the world and making money better than Elon musk.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I was clearly referring to what has so far happened with Twitter. Anyone interested in making money with the business the thread is about, wouldnt do what he is doing.
He has run off advertisers, he has comically failed to implement a user fee, he has fired so many people that the government is concerned the company cant comply with agreed upon processes, and the company is currently estimated to be worth a fraction of what he paid.

So yes- my comment about anyone wanting to make money wouldnt do what he is doing is on point.
Maybe that will change with time and he will pull the plane out of its current nosedive. As of now though?
Agreed upon processes with the government? Seems like you definitely are a free market guy.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Post 141. This just happened yesterday. A couple people were banned who were not parody accounts and also were not violating TOS.

This is a dumb argument for either side to have.
What the livin' 17 are you talkin' 'bout?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Saying you will leave Twitter or pull advertising is one thing.

saying you will pull Twitter from the App Store when you have a monopoly is another thing.

not surprised you don’t see the difference.
Android has 71% of the smartphone market share compared to 28% for iOS.
How is that a monopoly for Apple?

Status
Not open for further replies.