Disgusted 67 year old

bluewaters

Aug 24, 2017
Southern Cal was one of the bad asses in college football taking their turn at the top frequently when they became my team for life. This was of course during the McKay years in the late 60's-early 70's. Growing up in L.A. USC ruled in football and UCLA ruled in basketball, that's just the way it was. I've lived in Washington close to Canadian border for the past 43 years. For the most part all those snowy winters huddled up with the fireplace going, with my food and drink watching Southern Cal play was a joy for me. Lots of screaming and celebrating great plays. Couldn't be at coliseum so I'd travel to WSU when SC traveled north so I could watch the team of my youth. I've had two heart attacks and with what my cardiologist has told me my time is running out. I was just hoping, hoping to see Southern Cal be great one more time. The leadership and decision makers, along with heroes of my youth Haden, Swann, they really let things turn to ****. The bad asses are no more. Was just really hoping one more time.

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
I’ll be 68 on the 20th and this shi+ needs to STOP!! Happy birthday to my, yeah thanks a lot!!

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Southern Cal was one of the bad asses in college football taking their turn at the top frequently when they became my team for life. This was of course during the McKay years in the late 60's-early 70's. Growing up in L.A. USC ruled in football and UCLA ruled in basketball, that's just the way it was. I've lived in Washington close to Canadian border for the past 43 years. For the most part all those snowy winters huddled up with the fireplace going, with my food and drink watching Southern Cal play was a joy for me. Lots of screaming and celebrating great plays. Couldn't be at coliseum so I'd travel to WSU when SC traveled north so I could watch the team of my youth. I've had two heart attacks and with what my cardiologist has told me my time is running out. I was just hoping, hoping to see Southern Cal be great one more time. The leadership and decision makers, along with heroes of my youth Haden, Swann, they really let things turn to ****. The bad asses are no more. Was just really hoping one more time.
Southern Cal? Who are you, Frank Broyles?

MiketoBush61

Oct 20, 2018
Hey, don't forget about me! I'm 67 and I'd like to see a Trojan team with an offensive line that doesn't look like they played powder puff football prior to college...

beachbum

Sep 21, 2018
I will be 60 in Jan. and I know how you feel. I am starting to wonder if they are every going to turn it around. As you said, Swann and Haden so completely destroyed everything and we are in the middle of such a complete disaster that even if Helton were to be fired today, it will take years to repair the program. The trouble is, the USC administration seems to have no interest in our football program. It is a depressing situation all around. Take care of yourself.

Trojan Forever

Sep 7, 2017
I'm in the same boat. 76 and a fan since the 60s. When my son enrolled in USC Law in 2003, he and I started attending a game each year. Much fun. Not last year with Covid and not this year either. Trip from Philadelphia is a burden. But, if SC were playing like we all hope and wish they will, I would be there. Hope springs eternal (although not while Helton is the boss).
Also, a highpoint for me was shaking hands and speaking with Pete Carroll at practice one day. Sad that can't still happen for 2 reasons (Pete is gone and practices are closed to ordinary fans).
Fight On.

Reactions: BehindSunset

SDTroy

Aug 24, 2017
67 yr old non alum here and still Fighting On and coming up from San Diego for ages, game by games, season after season.
Have promoted everything SC for ages and yes , we fans do deserve better than what we are getting.
No Bus or TAF Club here for first time in 45 yrs. , late games, E tickets, frustration yr. after yr. , and more.
Fans deserve combat pay but we Fight On !

Reactions: TrojanDave85

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
@bluewaters Your posting yesterday was prescient. I feel USC trending upward. Hang in there bro✌️

tjfan001

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, Southern Cal, that was the No. 1 spots on both AP and Coaches Polls every week from August 2004 to January 2005. I remember that very well.

Good old days!! 🏈🎈🎇🏆

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
I am also antique and love the monicker Southern Cal and just had my gall bladder removed and regret that I did -- it's been hell since. But I ease my soul with fond memories of John McKay, his cigars, his basso profundo voice and hilarious, biting wit. I recall many amazingly funny lines he spat out so regularly to the press, especially after his rare lossses as in when the scribes asked him once how the poor boys were taking it after a dreadful loss and he snarled, "Who ever heard of "boys" getting fired?" Oh those days shall never come again, alas. But they were so wonderful, so very wonderful.

Reactions: 1usctrojan

conquest4ever81

Sep 2, 2017
You can always appreciate that you were able to witness an epic record breaking USC Rose Bowl victory during the Helton era. Fight On!

Attachments

• images (50).jpg
    images (50).jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1

Rigged4fun

Aug 24, 2017
I'm in the same boat. 76 and a fan since the 60s. When my son enrolled in USC Law in 2003, he and I started attending a game each year. Much fun. Not last year with Covid and not this year either. Trip from Philadelphia is a burden. But, if SC were playing like we all hope and wish they will, I would be there. Hope springs eternal (although not while Helton is the boss).
Also, a highpoint for me was shaking hands and speaking with Pete Carroll at practice one day. Sad that can't still happen for 2 reasons (Pete is gone and practices are closed to ordinary fans).
Fight On.
Thank heaven I'm not the oldest (74) SC fan on the board, however I echo TF's sentiment. Fight On!

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Bleeding C&G since 1959.

I’m 72 1/2 and again excited for a bright Trojan future.

Fight On!

Reactions: SDTroy

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
That is what everyone called USC when I was a student.....and I am talking about the students.
I’ve never, ever heard someone who attended USC call it that. Only people from the South. It’s just like saying Trojan Nation instead of Trojan Family.

Im not trying to play thought cop or anything. Just an observation.
And you went there, I did not. So you do you.
Agree with most everything you said, and I feel you, because I live in Georgia.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I’ve never, ever heard someone who attended USC call it that. Only people from the South. It’s just like saying Trojan Nation instead of Trojan Family.

Im not trying to play thought cop or anything. Just an observation.
And you went there, I did not. So you do you.
Agree with most everything you said, and I feel you, because I live in Georgia.
My parents both went there and they never called it that although my dad's basketball uniform said Southern California. I went there and I never called it that.

You almost have to say it in the South, otherwise everyone thinks you're talking about that other school... the one that's coming to Athens this next Saturday night.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
My parents both went there and they never called it that although my dad's basketball uniform said Southern California. I went there and I never called it that.

You almost have to say it in the South, otherwise everyone thinks you're talking about that other school... the one that's coming to Athens this next Saturday night.
Yes, everywhere else in the country there is only one USC.
Ive been a USC fan since 1962, and in all those years, I’ve never heard anyone associated with school, even band wagon fans like me, use Southern Cal, which is why I was surprised to hear the OP use it.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
When Notre Dame folk say they fear us, they always say they fear Southern Cal. That's good enough for me. South Carolina is also USC. This is perhaps an unfortunate accident of history, but there it is. I will always call us USC, but I embrace the monicker Southern Cal, in that it stands for greatness, eternal might and to our bitterest foes...fear.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
When Notre Dame folk say they fear us, they always say they fear Southern Cal. That's good enough for me. South Carolina is also USC. This is perhaps an unfortunate accident of history, but there it is. I will always call us USC, but I embrace the monicker Southern Cal, in that it stands for greatness, eternal might and to our bitterest foes...fear.
From the USC Football media guide...

"Note to the media: In editorial references to athletic teams of the University of Southern California, the following are preferred: USC, Southern California, So. California, Troy and Trojans for men's or women's teams, and Women of Troy for women's teams. PLEASE do not use Southern Cal (it's like calling San Francisco "Frisco" or North Carolina "North Car.") The usage of "Southern Cal" on licensed apparel and merchandise is limited in scope and necessary to protect federal trademark rights."

SCBirnkrant81

Aug 24, 2017
Hope the team improves over the course of the season, and after hiring the right coach, they can make you and the rest of the Trojan family proud with multiple National championships. Fight On!

Reactions: HB Trojan

bluewaters

Aug 24, 2017
I remember when Pete brought his team to WSU on a colder crisp day. He had a long sleeve gray sweatshirt with Southern Cal written on the front. I also wear a baseball cap with the old logo on it, not the SC interlocking. We stick with what we like and means more to us, don't we? Regardless, live and let live, happy days are here again!

Latest posts