Donte permanent head coach??

cmart

Sep 14, 2021
Does Donte have a legit shot at becoming the next head coach of SC. What would he need to do to justify SC hiring him as a HC. 9 games left. Go 7-2, 8-1? Beat either Fucla or Notre Dame? Win the south? Win the conference? What does he need to do to seriously put his name in the mix of the next HC.

Reactions: Trojan Diesel

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Win conference and make CFP.
IMO, the bar cannot be any lower than this, which almost certainly means winning out the regular season.

I suspect that Donte was told in some form at the time that he was offered the interim position that while it’s not completely out of the question that he could win the job, it’s unlikely at this time as they are looking to the outside, and not to get his hopes up.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Beat the Beavers. Lol 😂

Seriously guys? We beat San Jose St. We got slapped around by the Farm and handily beat a Cougar squad with a walk-on quarterback in the second-half.

That Cougar team held our running-backs to 28 yards in 17 carries.

If Donte Williams can win all the remaining games including the Pac12 Championship. Oh never mind.

Fight On!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Does Donte have a legit shot at becoming the next head coach of SC. What would he need to do to justify SC hiring him as a HC. 9 games left. Go 7-2, 8-1? Beat either Fucla or Notre Dame? Win the south? Win the conference? What does he need to do to seriously put his name in the mix of the next HC.
Why even ask this question...after Helton lol he needs to win the CFP or least get to the thing.

Last edited:

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Wisconsin is favored by 6 over Notre Drack Saturday and Fresno just worked the bRuins and you only want one?

Reactions: Cardinal&Gold

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Even if Donte wins out, it may not mean anything because the Pac-12 is having a terrible, terrible year. Even Utah looks like hot garbage.
If we want a coach who can win on a national level, this is not the year to make an evaluation.
Did you think Utah would be good?

Reactions: Trubb

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
I got no problem at all with that if if he gets us into the playoff, which might seem unlikely just now, but I think , with Dart remaining reasonably healthy I do insist we can conceivably whup everyone left on our schedule and we can ALSO whup Oregon in a Pac 12 playoff, And I think we can whup just about ANYONE in all of college football it suddenly seems to me what with Clemson and even Bama not looking like Bama normally does We are overnight, fear-inducing badassers the way we scored 45 straight points against a better than terrible Wazzu team in horrible rainy conditions, their fans in an absolute frenzy and celebrating like the game was over at 14-0 and the future looking bleaker than hell.

Then a savior giant rose up in the form of dashing, swashbuckling, fearless and brilliant Jaxson freaking Dart, transforming every other player on the team into fellow badassers, a frightening crew of razzle dazzlers. Why I give Donte better than an even chance, and a magnificent chance to make blazingly sizzling USC history, USC history that shall never be forgotten by us suddenly so grateful fans. For USC connotes FEAR again after 12 dreadful off years, and fear kills.

Georgia is really the only team that makes me think twice about what I just said. Because their D is a Pete Carroll level D, but oh what a glorious run it STILL could be. Such a glorious run is definitely NOT beyond the bounds of possibility. Donte the Conquerer! Even the name Donte sounds like some thrilling throwback to Roman Empire times to me, that is when that empire was young and brutal and feared over the face of the globe. AND he CAN bring in top five recruiting classes every freaking year. Donte the Conquerer. Blare CONQUEST in your mind when you hear the glorious name Donte Williams. I surely would prefer him to half the candidates thrown out there by a clueless media. I surely would prefer him to dudes like Big Game Bob Stoops. He can do anything Stoops can now do, and he is vibrantly YOUNG!

Jpltrojan

Aug 24, 2017
How quickly our board ADs forget…one of the (many) problems with Helton was his limited Rolodex. When his Dad’s friends flamed out as assistant coaches he had no one to call.

Who will Donte call when Orlando and Harrell leave? What kind of staff will he assemble? It’s ONE of the more important aspects of the HC job and why you want experience. Not just can he beat a really poor team but can he lead a staff of assistants to sustained wins.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
He gets the job if he win the NC.
I don’t think that is the case. I think, if he deserves the job, it will be obvious to almost everyone, regardless of record. There are holes that still need to be filled in this team, even if it’s for depth purposes, and our lack of depth at some positions will bite us at some points during the season, and that isn’t on Donte.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I got no problem at all with that if if he gets us into the playoff, which might seem unlikely just now, but I think , with Dart remaining reasonably healthy I do insist we can conceivably whup everyone left on our schedule and we can ALSO whup Oregon in a Pac 12 playoff, And I think we can whup just about ANYONE in all of college football it suddenly seems to me what with Clemson and even Bama not looking like Bama normally does We are overnight, fear-inducing badassers the way we scored 45 straight points against a better than terrible Wazzu team in horrible rainy conditions, their fans in an absolute frenzy and celebrating like the game was over at 14-0 and the future looking bleaker than hell.

Then a savior giant rose up in the form of dashing, swashbuckling, fearless and brilliant Jaxson freaking Dart, transforming every other player on the team into fellow badassers, a frightening crew of razzle dazzlers. Why I give Donte better than an even chance, and a magnificent chance to make blazingly sizzling USC history, USC history that shall never be forgotten by us suddenly so grateful fans. For USC connotes FEAR again after 12 dreadful off years, and fear kills.

Georgia is really the only team that makes me think twice about what I just said. Because their D is a Pete Carroll level D, but oh what a glorious run it STILL could be. Such a glorious run is definitely NOT beyond the bounds of possibility. Donte the Conquerer! Even the name Donte sounds like some thrilling throwback to Roman Empire times to me, that is when that empire was young and brutal and feared over the face of the globe. AND he CAN bring in top five recruiting classes every freaking year. Donte the Conquerer. Blare CONQUEST in your mind when you hear the glorious name Donte Williams. I surely would prefer him to half the candidates thrown out there by a clueless media. I surely would prefer him to dudes like Big Game Bob Stoops. He can do anything Stoops can now do, and he is vibrantly YOUNG!
Georgia’s defense would crush us right now too. Can you even contemplate watching Brett Neilon try to block UGA’s massive nose tackle, Jordan Davis, who is 6-6 360 lbs and runs as fast as our linebackers? I can’t. Their defense is phenomenal.

Last edited:

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
No and no. He hasn’t even been a coordinator. He is not calling the plays on offense and he isn’t calling the plays on defense. He doesn’t have a Rolodex. Who is going to call to fill the coaching roster. Besides recruiting, what exactly is he exceptional at right now in terms of developing players and developing coaches under him. He might become that, but he is far from that right now.

We are playing in a WEAK PAC 12. These coaches were blessed to be at a school that recruits itself. The roster is loaded and only one school, the ducks, have arguably as much talent….but the duckies and the rest of the dwarfs, they don’t have 70 TD pass throwing qb’s sitting on the bench.
Bohn needs to hurry up and hire a coach. You can’t allow these wins against weak teams to mean any more than beating up a WSU that no longer has Leach at the helm.

Get ready for the kids to like him stuff. Kissing the players I get it, be you do you… But, I’ve never ever in my life seen a coach kissing the players. That is weird.
We don’t need a HC that is kissing kids during the game.

Last edited:

deleted_00002

Aug 24, 2017
Short of winning the CFP... No.

As other posters have pointed out, the HC is really a manager and has to do so many things unrelated to leading the team during a game. I suspect that Williams will be a HC next year, but not at USC, probably at a G5 or lower tier P5 school and this is where he'll learn how to be a HC including making rookie HC mistakes - not at USC.

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
No and no. He hasn’t even been a coordinator. He is not calling the plays on offense and he isn’t calling the plays on defense. FAIL.
Mario Cristobal has never been a coordinator either. But he did have head coaching experience, although it was a failure. And he can recruit top coordinators to come work for him. Same with coach Orgeron. That is the difference.

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
If we can’t get a big name proven winner I don’t mind taking a shot with Donte (this is if he kills it the rest of the year and has us playing like Trojans

Reactions: zitorocks

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
No and no. He hasn’t even been a coordinator. He is not calling the plays on offense and he isn’t calling the plays on defense. He doesn’t have a Rolodex. Who is going to call to fill the coaching roster. Besides recruiting, what exactly is he exceptional at right now in terms of developing players and developing coaches under him. He might become that, but he is far from that right now.

We are playing in a WEAK PAC 12. These coaches were blessed to be at a school that recruits itself. The roster is loaded and only one school, the ducks, have arguably as much talent….but the duckies and the rest of the dwarfs, they don’t have 70 TD pass throwing qb’s sitting on the bench.
Bohn needs to hurry up and hire a coach. You can’t allow these wins against weak teams to mean any more than beating up a WSU that no longer has Leach at the helm.

Get ready for the kids to like him stuff. Kissing the players I get it, be you do you… But, I’ve never ever in my life seen a coach kissing the players. That is weird.
We don’t need a HC that is kissing kids during the game.
FYI, there are three Head Coaches in the last 10 years, in other words, every coach who has won a National Championship not named Nick Saban, who had never been a coordinator before they became Head Coaches.
Their names are Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, both went from WR coach to HC and Ed Orgeron D Line Coach.

Oops Edit: I forgot Jimbo Fisher, but my point still stands
Dabo Swinney
Utban Meyer
Ed Orgeron

Never Coordinators

Also, LOL at you being so rustled over Donte giving Dart a kiss on the cheek.

Last edited:

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
If we can’t get a big name proven winner I don’t mind taking a shot with Donte (this is if he kills it the rest of the year and has us playing like Trojans
Like I said in the unlikely event Donte gets named Head Coach there will be only two reasons for it. Most likely is he just blew the doors off it this season, where there will be way more people advocating for it, than against it. Or, every person on Bonn’s list becomes unavailable, or a combination of the two.

Last edited:

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
How quickly our board ADs forget…one of the (many) problems with Helton was his limited Rolodex. When his Dad’s friends flamed out as assistant coaches he had no one to call.

Who will Donte call when Orlando and Harrell leave? What kind of staff will he assemble? It’s ONE of the more important aspects of the HC job and why you want experience. Not just can he beat a really poor team but can he lead a staff of assistants to sustained wins.
This is just a guess, but I imagine Donte’s first call, would be to his cousin Kris Richard who would be DC and almost no one would have a problem with it.

MJDavidson

Aug 24, 2017
Georgia’s defense would crush us right now too. Can you even contemplate watching Brett Neilon try to block UGA’s massive nose tackle, Jordan Davis, who is 6-6 360 lbs and runs as fast as our linebackers? I can’t. Their defense is phenomenal.
Blem, I actually have trouble understanding how Neilon blocks several of his opponents. I understand that in the weight room he is a true warrior. However, humans and weights are not the same as we all know. He gives up so much size to large nose tackles that his opponents need to be double teamed on several occasions. I hope that future centers are simply larger than he is. I know he is listed as 6'2 and 295 or more, but to my eye, those figures appear to be a stretch.

This thread about Donte being the next head coach was certainly anticipated, at least on my part. I actually believe it will be mentioned almost daily. A true test of folks' opinions will come after a defeat, particularly if SC is hammered in a game. I hope that does not happen, but it could. Winning at South Bend is something SC has not done in a long time and it won't be easy this year either. But, it is possible, particularly if SC can manage to put up some major points.

USC's defensive line might need to tweek its lineup depending on who the opponent is. Of course, having a healthy Nick Figueroa will help and it will also be helpful to have a healthy and developing Korey Foreman. I think Drake Jackson is much more beneficial to the team and to his own personal future by playing with his hand on the ground as opposed to dropping back on any regular basis. Having a little more size in the middle of the defensive line might be needed at times, particularly when SC gets to South Bend, but I am not sure what the coaches think of the NG's available. The transfer from Alabama has great size but who knows when or if he will really see the field. This issue should work itself out over the next several weeks.

As for the question of Donte, I have no clue how this will work out. He has only been the head coach for one game, and he does lack overall experience. But, as I mentioned previously, I really am impressed by the IT factor, whatever that really means. I believe he has been mentored by quite a few different guys and if given the position, I have no doubt that his ability to form/tweek his staff will be much better than the dufus'. I watched his Sunday presser and listened intently to everything he had to say. Without exaggeration, I think it is fair to conclude that he gave more straightforward answers in one session than Helton did during his entire tenure. I really mean that. He was business like, thorough, and to the point. Still with USC's recent history of choosing football coaches, one can hardly blame any SC fan who will be totally disillusioned with anyone but a big name. However, it just might not be as easy and likely to come up with that name as some might think.

And then of course there is the issue that might come up and that is the one nobody seems anxious to bring up. As has been documented, Donte is the first Black Head Football Coach at USC. If he does very well this season and still does not get the job, will there be long term repercussions? SC has had its share of issues over the past several years to say the least. Will there be headlines such as, SC does not give an African American Coach the same leeway it gave the "awesome" Helton, and if not, why not? I thought hard and long about mentioning that aspect, but this is 2021 and the world has changed. I am not saying race should be a consideration; only that realistically speaking, I think the way this is unfolding, it could become important. Only time will tell how this will turn out. It is unlikely to be boring. MJDavidson

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
This is so misleading.

You’re reasoning assumes because those guys had success, Donte will automatically have success because he was never a Coordinator?

Hilarious.

Bowling Green is not a major power, position coaches get those jobs all the time. Meyer getting that job was nothing out of the ordinary.

Dabo had 16 years of experience and started at Clemson in 2003, before Clemson was anything close to what they are today. He was interim in 2008 before getting the HC in 2009. The major point is Clemson was not getting anyone big to take that job. Clemson then and SC are not in the same universe.

Again….Neither of those programs were close to USC on the national scale, the hires they made matched their standing in the CFB world.

Ed had over 30 years coaching experience at all levels, his resume was thick. This is the only example that comes close, but is the exception not the norm.

Glad you included Jimbo Fisher, that guy was an offensive coordinator at Cinci for a year, LSU for 7 and FSU for 3.

It’s extremely misleading to assume/portrait that because those guys had success, Donte will too. It’s like saying because McKay and RoBo won NCs as first year coaches, we should hire a first year coach.

This is classic causation v correlation that you’re attempting to argue as fact.
Excuse me. I thought you understood I have no interest in interacting with you?
I haven’t disrespected you, but I refuse to interact with people who don’t give me the same consideration in return.

I‘m not one to put someone on ignore, but you may not give me a choice.

And I realize, your reply is going to be But you are interacting with me now, yuckity yuk, so don’t bother.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
My $.02 is this, Donte should remain the interim HC for as long as it takes to find the RIGHT big name experienced HC. If you cannot get that guy, Donte should stay the HC until we do. Period. We need to stop settling. It's a win-win for all involved. Who says you cannot keep Donte as interim for next season as well if necessary? Or you give him one-year contracts at a hefty amount. I believe Donte has all of the requirements to be a LEADER of this team. He needs some experience with things like calling timeouts and game management, but there is no question about his ability to lead and hold the team accountable for their mistakes. He motivates his players and gets on their *** if they do something to jeopardize the team. That's what we have needed. He has passion and it bleeds to the rest of the staff and players.

If during this interim period he continues to show he can handle the job, you can always make it permanent. For Donte, he gets HC experience at a premier program so if we don't end up hiring him as the HC, he can use this experience to get a HC job somewhere else. I for one do not want this man to leave our program. I think he's lightning in a bottle. If I am Bohn, that's how I play it. What I think will happen is that we hire a guy like Bob Stoops - an experienced HC long in the tooth. We tell this HC that Donte will remain on the staff as the assistant HC and will be groomed to take over in 4-5 years.

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
Like I said in the unlikely event Donte gets named Head Coach there will be only two reasons for it. Most likely is he just blew the doors off it this season, where there will be way more people advocating for it, than against it. Or, every person on Bonn’s list becomes unavailable, or a combination of the two.
To me both things have to come to fruition

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Figured, you wouldn’t be able to refute my arguments….just like in previous threads.

And I don’t care if you do respond, or put me on ignore. Makes no difference to me either way….but what I will do is call you out on your BS on this board. So keep it honest, that’s all I ask.
I have no interest in refuting your arguments. So let’s just leave it at that. Like I said, in our first interaction we had a disagreement because you misunderstood what I was saying, and when I clarified it, you were cool. So I was hopeful we could continue like that. You then quickly dissuaded me of that notion Saturday night.

However, when I said I want this board to work, for EVERYONE, I was serious. I meant EVERYONE.
I’m not asking for an apology, we can just leave it as a heat of the moment thing and move on from there.

Or not. I’m good either way

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
Weird response.
August countered your football point and it seems like you have an axe to grind, blem?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
FYI, there are three Head Coaches in the last 10 years, in other words, every coach who has won a National Championship not named Nick Saban, who had never been a coordinator before they became Head Coaches.
Their names are Urban Meyer, Dabo Swinney, both went from WR coach to HC and Ed Orgeron D Line Coach.

Oops Edit: I forgot Jimbo Fisher, but my point still stands
Dabo Swinney
Utban Meyer
Ed Orgeron

Never Coordinators

Not completely accurate. While you may have meant to be more strict in your definition to just OC and DC, Ed Orgeron was the RC at USC from 2001 until he left for Ole Piss. He was also the assistant, not associate, HC.

Reactions: August West

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
To me both things have to come to fruition
After 1 game?
Not completely accurate. While you may have meant to be more strict in your definition to just OC and DC, Ed Orgeron was the RC at USC from 2001 until he left for Ole Piss. He was also the assistant, not associate, HC.
Kinda nitpicky don’t you think? I don’t believe anybody is talking about recruiting coordinators when we are talking about qualifications. I certainly wouldnt use it as an argument for Donte Williams.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
See this is the problem I have with you.

YOU’RE A LIAR!

I was not cool with you at all, nor did I misunderstand anything you said. Your statements were clear as day. I’m not the only one to see it.

Then you have the audacity to say you’ve never disrespected me, yet you imply anyone one who is white on the OT is a racist. You tried to lump Reality into being a regular on the OT which was a lie too. Of course, after 51 put you in your place, you then went to the mods and had the thread flamed.

Now you sit back and try to play the victim, act like you’ve done nothing and that I’m the problem?

You’re passive aggressive BS is well noted here.

So where do we go? It’s simple, stop posting BS, I’ll stop calling you out for it.
I’m not lying. We had a very cordial interaction in another thread.

Here is how it ended

[IMG alt="August West"]https://on3static.com/xf/data/avatars/s/166/166668.jpg?1576723094[/IMG]

August West

Well-known member​

BlemBlam said:
See my edit to further understand what i said and why
Copy that.

Bogey Bud

Sep 3, 2021
Breath in.....breath out.....

It's been ONE GAME!!! Really 1/2 a game, as the first half mostly sucked. Yes, we all liked the fire they showed in the second half, which can be contagious when you get rolling, and yes Dart showed flashes of something special. But is was ONE GAME against Wazoo, one of the weakest teams in the very weak Pac-12. MAYBE good things are ahead - and maybe not. Let's let some time go by and get a slightly larger sample size before we talk about making Donte permanent or giving Dart the Heisman.

Hey, I'm hoping it's SC 2002 all over again, but let's let it play out a bit.

Latest posts