For head coach

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
Go after Lincoln Riley and a good DC.
At least games would be high scoring and entertaining
He'd be my first call in terms of sitting college head coaches. The idea of just skipping over a guy like that because he's unlikely to even engage in conversation with another program is how you wind up promoting interim coaches. Heck, lob a practice call to Bill Belichick, just to get used to the idea of nobody being unapproachable.

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
He'd be my first call in terms of sitting college head coaches. The idea of just skipping over a guy like that because he's unlikely to even engage in conversation with another program is how you wind up promoting interim coaches. Heck, lob a practice call to Bill Belichick, just to get used to the idea of nobody being unapproachable.

Maybe Belichick would say yes!

I’m gonna tweet “per wearesc Erik McKinney USC to offer Bill Belichick to be next HC. “

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I’d wear out the phone lines for sure. Just hope he has the finances lined up to attract them.

AD1974

Aug 26, 2017
I’d wear out the phone lines for sure. Just hope he has the finances lined up to attract them.
It’s apparent that Riley is charasmatic, a great recruiter and wins a lot of games. Checks those boxes.
However, I think his current salary is 11m and he is 0-3 in playoffs - that’s hard to overlook.

TahoeTrojan

Feb 7, 2018
Riley would be the 1st call I make. Be cafeful of what you wish for is now Oklahoma and Texas. They will be mid level in the SEC and if I were RIley, why be the 3rd-4th best team in your conference when you can be the Pac12 powerhouse every year... It makes a lot of sense for Licoln Riley to at least listen.....

Last edited:

RileyCoyote

Aug 1, 2021
11 million per year at Oklahoma. I don’t think SC would top that.
He doesn't make $11 mill. Closer to $8 mill

Like I said previously, I'm not a USC fan and I'm not here to be disruptive (I like USC), but I can assure you guys, Lincoln isn't leaving OU any time soon.

If he did, there's only one place that it would be, Dallas, and even that's been vastly overwritten/speculated about.

Reactions: Shameless

RileyCoyote

Aug 1, 2021
Lincoln has his eyes on the pros w/full control a la Matt Rhule. That being said, it certainly never hurts to call!
Since you mentioned Rhule, that would actually be a sneaky good call to make.

Carolina has struggled and I expect the same this year (under .500).

Maybe he'd want to go back to college and take Joe Brady (LSU natty OC - Carolina OC now) with him?

He's a really good HC/developer.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017

Maybe he'd want to go back to college and take Joe Brady (LSU natty OC - Carolina OC now) with him?

I mean it certainly doesn't hurt to call. But I'm 99.9% it won't happen from the people I've talked with - at least THIS year. He is with the richest owner in the league, has total control over all aspects of the organization, and are in the process of building top-level facilities in Rock Hill, SC. Plus, he's making $10 mil/year. Would be tough for USC to top all that - especially the contract and the facilities.

Reactions: RileyCoyote

RileyCoyote

Aug 1, 2021
I mean it certainly doesn't hurt to call. But I'm 99.9% it won't happen from the people I've talked with - at least THIS year. He is with the richest owner in the league, has total control over all aspects of the organization, and are in the process of building top-level facilities in Rock Hill, SC. Plus, he's making $10 mil/year. Would be tough for USC to top all that - especially the contract and the facilities.
Yeah, like has been said, it's never a bad thing to call/gauge interest...with both Riley and Rhule. Both are probably unattainable.

I doubt Carolina would let Rhule leave even after 2 mediocre years (covid/CMAC being hurt probably excuses him for last year).

And OU would match anything offered to Riley.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Lincoln has his eyes on the pros w/full control a la Matt Rhule. That being said, it certainly never hurts to call!

“Technically” it never hurts to call. Realistically though, why then do so many get weirded out that “our choice” was 6th in line?

And for The Chosen One……maybe a little slap in the face that he was “technically, #6”?

I think you gotta be really, really discreet about asking nearly-untouchable coaches so you don’t add to the “Declined” list. Optics can matter.

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017
“Technically” it never hurts to call. Realistically though, why then do so many get weirded out that “our choice” was 6th in line?

And for The Chosen One……maybe a little slap in the face that he was “technically, #6”?

I think you gotta be really, really discreet about asking nearly-untouchable coaches so you don’t add to the “Declined” list. Optics can matter.

There is DEFINITELY an art to this. Remember the Dolphins owner's flirtation with Harbaugh and how poorly that was handled? That became a total clusterfudge publically. That being said, it is easier to do when you've already fired your coach (which Bohn did). And if you cast a very wide net and are calling to simply "gauge interest", you should be able to spin it pretty easily. Bohn already started that by saying it will be a "nationwide search". So any "rejections" he can simply refute by saying he was doing his due diligence and calling everyone on a 15 name list or something like that.

Reactions: August West

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Lincoln Riley's new contract
2020: $6.15 million
2021: $8.05 million (includes $500,000 stay benefit on April 1, 2021.
2022: $7.565 million
2023: $8.275 million (includes $750,000 stay benefit on Jan. 31, 2024)
2024: $7.585 million
2025: $7.585 million

Id call him tomorrow and offer 10M/5yr
Hard to believe there aren’t any performance bonuses for wins and bowl games over and above these numbers.
Heck chipper makes $1.2M per win.

Reactions: August West

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

Q, what will happen is that SC will reach out to an agent of the coaches to gauge interest. Formal asking will come later. That way you aren't going through a long list of no's. There have been times when folks here will ask "why didn't they offer Joe Coach and the reason is that an agent had already told them don't bother. You're still going to get some who will listen when the time is right and say no, but the overall number is less than those who were approached through their agents.

Reactions: LDIABootney

Nate Doggg

Aug 24, 2017
Do we give him total control? I can’t see it. Things are different at Ok
Well in college generally the coach has full control, especially if he's an upper-level coach. Very different in the NFL where only a handful of coaches have full control. In Dallas, it's even a weirder situation because the owner is the one that has full control, and Will sets the personnel board and has a strong voice in the process (along with Jones' kids). So, the head coach in Dallas generally has less power than any other head coach in the league.

Reactions: LDIABootney

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Well in college generally the coach has full control, especially if he's an upper-level coach. Very different in the NFL where only a handful of coaches have full control. In Dallas, it's even a weirder situation because the owner is the one that has full control, and Will sets the personnel board and has a strong voice in the process (along with Jones' kids). So, the head coach in Dallas generally has less power than any other head coach in the league.
Not the control I was speaking to. I meant more control of who gets run thru the student judicial system and how quickly… and for what.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021

Regarding Matt Rhule: I keep thinking about the women’s basketball hire, Lindsay Gottlieb. A very successful college coach who went on to the pros and was lured back to the college game. Might Bohn be thinking about a similar kind of resume for his next football coach? Just wondering.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Q, what will happen is that SC will reach out to an agent of the coaches to gauge interest. Formal asking will come later. That way you aren't going through a long list of no's. There have been times when folks here will ask "why didn't they offer Joe Coach and the reason is that an agent had already told them don't bother. You're still going to get some who will listen when the time is right and say no, but the overall number is less than those who were approached through their agents.

Yeah, I’m all on top of that…..it’s just in today’s world, EVERYTHING gets out eventually.