Harvey Hyde must love what he's hearing from Donte

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
For ten years Harvey Hyde on Ryan's Peristyle Podcast has been harping on the necessity for USC coaches to crack down in draconian style on sloppy sideline discipline and upon the non-team first desire for individual players to dress slightly differently from one another, wearing different colored socks, not keeping their jerseys tucked in smartly as if military warriors, not keeping their helmets on with great discipline the whole game -- all the sort of stuff you see Bama do game after game, year after year, as if one relentlessly single minded monster. Donte hit on all these points shockingly yesterday in an on the field presser.

I am so impressed with the way Donte is handling the herculean task he has so suddenly inherited. It must be overwhelmingly difficult to abruptly shift gears from position coach to head coach in the blink of an eye. I cannot even imagine how hard it must be. He talked about the importance of "time management" which BTW was precisely what John Robinson said when he ascended to head coach way back in the day. He said his only time off, so to speak, is when he goes home at one A.M , takes a shower, closes his eyes, then suddenly reopens them at 5:30 A.M. and is back to learning, learning, learning, as in learning the so hitherto "foreign language" used in Graham Harrell's O meetings, all that exotic O parlance that O guys use.

Can you imagine the so fiercely difficult task he must master and master so quickly as in timeout management during games when live bullets are flying fast, or when to roaringly challenge dumb Pac 12 officials when they do their typically assinnie stuff, forever at the cost of USC? Or when to embrace lovingly a player after some youthful dumbarsed mistake or when to blister the same with a look apt enough to melt lead, inducing genuine FEAR. All these things are brand spanking new and must be learned on the fly. But Donte says he embraces all the good with all the bad, likes to put himself in dire situations of "suckiness" like a full fledged man of energy and boldness and mature character. WHAT a huge challenge, and what a fascinating show it should prove to be in a couple of days on national television. Yikes. I'd probably be wetting my pants, but not Donte.

BTW I hope others resist the distraction of hammering Harvey Hyde concerning his unimpressive record while head coach at UNLV. Because if you give him a chance and listen to his words over so long a time as I have, you realize that he PRFOUNDLY understands the game of college football

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

HoustonTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Starting off the WASU game practice week with two days of tackling during practice was a good start. Coach Hyde, like the most of us don't really put much stock on what is being said by the coaches, as the teams game performances will be the most important indicators of what progress is being made. The game does not lie.

Reactions: CrownoftheValley

Latest posts