Head Football Coach

ScPa5

Sep 2, 2021
I hope MB and BS have a plan . Not having a coach is destroying the program and I think by the time they’ve named one it’s going be to late.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
It just keeps getting worse for Franklin—

Ohio St next.

Fickell struggled against powerhouse Navy

Aranda could keep rising with wins against Texas, TCU and Oklahoma (almost lost to Kansas)

We will know soon enough.
Many teams struggle with navy, especially if they don’t have a bye week previous to playing them. The offensive scheme being unique as it is. And then there’s the discipline ingrained by attending service academies.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Many teams struggle with navy, especially if they don’t have a bye week previous to playing them. The offensive scheme being unique as it is. And then there’s the discipline ingrained by attending service academies.
Navy went 11-2 in 2019; same thing in 2015. It's a program that has their ups and downs in terms of talent and youth on the roster, matching with their unique scheme and discipline. But their coach, always has his players ready to play. It's a tough match-up.

Illinois on the other hand has been hot garbage for multiple seasons

Last edited:

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
I like the coach that was so pissed to be playing in El Paso, he shaded up. That's my guy. Someone who gets super pissed if he doesn't win or perform at an excellent standard. I am tired of the mindset that we have to hire someone who is politically correct at all costs. I want someone who doesn't mind being controversial in the pursuit of winning.

Reactions: Gilesmiles

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I am tired of the mindset that we have to hire someone who is politically correct at all costs.
I don't think anyone is saying, being some saint is the standard. I'd rather have a coach that shows emotion and legit contained anger, at stuff happening to their team on the field. But nonsense outside that? off the field? no thanks.

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
I don't think anyone is saying, being some saint is the standard. I'd rather have a coach that shows emotion and legit contained anger, at stuff happening to their team on the field. But nonsense outside that? off the field? no thanks.
Some times its okay to accept a person's imperfections. We all have them.

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
Not if those things result in them getting fired or causing distractions, down the line
In all those cases, the thing that makes them a distraction is the press and our reaction to them. Why doesn't the administration just say "Coach is our guy. We know he's not perfect. But we love him."

Is that going to really hurt us. So what, Ed Ogeron has a girl friend? Seriously. Who cares? Is that going to cost us a few girls soccer recruits cuz their daddies cheated on their mommies?

Just tell the press to shove it. Hell, if they could do that for Clay Helton for practically a decade, they can sure as hell put up with a little womanizing, a little cussing, some immaterity from a younger guy from time to time.

Instead, we fire a guy, who has coached our team reasonably well while we have the worst sanctions ever against a program that was not fully killed.

How heffing dumb was that?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Instead, we fire a guy, who has coached our team reasonably well while we have the worst sanctions ever against a program that was not fully killed.

How heffing dumb was that?
Kiffin wasn't fired for that reason, though. Kiffin was fired for poor performance and losing the locker room. I still don't know why, Haden hired him out of Tennessee, after going 7-6, anyway. But I get it you don't care if our head coach is a role model or not.

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

Ohio St next.

Aranda could keep rising with wins against Texas, TCU and Oklahoma (almost lost to Kansas)

IMO, following his Cyclones knocking off the previously undefeated Cowboys, you can throw Matt Campbell back in the mix.

Reactions: swr22

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017

Exactly, which is why Fickell’s defense was strong….and his coaching still solid….in a tough game.

It was Cincy 27-10 after 3Q.

Navy would’ve run for 300 on Orlando/Helton 🤣

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Exactly, which is why Fickell’s defense was strong….and his coaching still solid….in a tough game.

It was Cincy 27-10 after 3Q.

Navy would’ve run for 300 on Orlando/Helton 🤣

Navy would have won by 3 scores in the 4th quarter, if that was Helton coaching. And after the game, he'd be making excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: qqqqqqqman

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
Navy went 11-2 in 2019; same thing in 2015. It's a program that has their ups and downs in terms of the talent and youth on the roster, matching with their unique scheme and discipline. But their coach, always has his players ready to play. It's a tough match-up.

Illinois on the other hand has been hot garbage for
Navy would have won by 3 scores in the 4th quarter, if that was Helton coaching. And after the game, he'd be making excuses.
I didn’t mean to disrespect Navy, I was just giving Fickell a hard time because he is the most wanted coach in college football, who is realistically available, and if any school lures him away from Cincinnati I want it to be us.

I watched Navy go into South Bend and beat Notre Dame about 15 years ago. I once bet against Navy in a bowl game many years ago against Cal and lost. Now I am curious when that was, I’ll look it up. Army vs Navy is a classic rivalry, too. They get a shot at Notre Dame in a couple of weeks—who knows?

As far as Fickell, I can’t think of too many ways he doesn’t make the playoffs. Maybe Oklahoma wins out, Alabama gives Georgia a loss and Ohio St is so dominating the BCS clips Fickell. That’s a real long shot. Still you can’t trust the BCS. The first rankings come out a week from Tuesday.

(1996 Aloha Bowl— Navy 42 Cal 38)*

Last edited:
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t mean to disrespect Navy, I was just giving Fickell a hard time because he is the most wanted coach in college football, who is realistically available, and if any school lures him away from Cincinnati I want it to be us.

I watched Navy go into South Bend and beat Notre Dame about 15 years ago. I once bet against Navy in a bowl game many years ago against Cal and lost. Now I am curious when that was, I’ll look it up. Army vs Navy is a classic rivalry, too. They get a shot at Notre Dame in a couple of weeks—who knows?

As far as Fickell, I can’t think of too many ways he doesn’t make the playoffs. Maybe Oklahoma wins out, Alabama gives Georgia a loss and Ohio St is so dominating the BCS clips Fickell. That’s a real long shot. Still you can’t trust the BCS. The first rankings come out a week from Tuesday.

(1996 Aloha Bowl— Navy 42 Cal 38)*
Noted
👍
...Yeah, Navy has been a pretty solid program.

I think Georgia beats Alabama this season; their defense isn't as good as last year or the year before that. But as you said on paper Fickell's team should be a shoe-in to get to the CFP. Although, I'd caution Cincy fans not to have any faith in the CFP rankings, because if the committee wants to screw Cincy over, they'll find a way.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Ken Niumatalolo is a heck of a football coach.

He’s a guy I’d have loved to have seen coaching the Trojans after Pete left.

He doesn’t have much now and they’re not having a good season, but he’s had some very good teams, nice bowl victories and some epic upset wins in his time at the tiller for Navy.

I’m not surprised they gave Ciny a real run for their money in what was a trap game for Cincinnati

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Ken Niumatalolo is a heck of a football coach.

He’s a guy I’d have loved to have seen coaching the Trojans after Pete left.

He doesn’t have much now and they’re not having a good season, but he’s had some very good teams, nice bowl victories and some epic upset wins in his time at the tiller for Navy.

I’m not surprised they gave Ciny a real run for their money in what was a trap game for Cincinnati
If USC didn't have the sanctions. I agree.

Reactions: HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
If USC didn't have the sanctions. I agree.
Sanctions like ours (30 scholies) would hobble any coach and KN is no exception, but at that time I thot Niumatalolo was exactly who we needed. Excellent coach with solid HC experience, solid record of accomplishment, proper on-field demeanor, always in control, squeaky clean, excellent in the family living room and superior connections + mana in the Polynesian community.

I’m afraid his ship has sailed as far as a hitch at USC goes. IMO there are better choices out there now, but we could do a lot worse… and have.

Reactions: Pudly76

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Sanctions like ours (30 scholies) would hobble any coach and KN is no exception, but at that time I thot Niumatalolo was exactly who we needed. Excellent coach with solid HC experience, solid record of accomplishment, proper on-field demeanor, always in control, squeaky clean, excellent in the family living room and superior connections + mana in the Polynesian community.

I’m afraid his ship has sailed as far as a hitch at USC goes. IMO there are better choices out there now, but we could do a lot worse… and have.
Certainly, his ship has sailed. It just would have been lackluster for a coach like him to deal with such an unfavorable situation from top to bottom.

No doubt, he would be the pick at the time if USC wasn't targeted and punished.

Reactions: HectorSpectre

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
IMO, following his Cyclones knocking off the previously undefeated Cowboys, you can throw Matt Campbell back in the mix.
What he has done at Iowa St, being little brother to Iowa in a state that produces very little D1 talent, is still more impressive than what Fickell, Aranda or anyone else has done in the past 5-6 years. I watched that game and his team plays with an intensity and emotion that we haven’t seen at USC since the mid 2000’s

SCBirnkrant81

Aug 24, 2017
I like the coach that was so pissed to be playing in El Paso, he shaded up. That's my guy. Someone who gets super pissed if he doesn't win or perform at an excellent standard. I am tired of the mindset that we have to hire someone who is politically correct at all costs. I want someone who doesn't mind being controversial in the pursuit of winning.
You meant a a coach like this guy?

Attachments

• F9B75681-37D7-41F3-A0B4-04C5E333605E.jpeg
    F9B75681-37D7-41F3-A0B4-04C5E333605E.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
What he has done at Iowa St, being little brother to Iowa in a state that produces very little D1 talent, is still more impressive than what Fickell, Aranda or anyone else has done in the past 5-6 years. I watched that game and his team plays with an intensity and emotion that we haven’t seen at USC since the mid 2000’s

Absolutely.

I've liked this guy for several years now, but his team's showing again OSU was nothing short of inspired. Week-in-and-week-out Campbell wins with a roster not even close our own. And his players are so bought-in, you can tell by just watching. He coaches them up, prepares them to win and let's 'em loose.

What I wouldn't give to see our boys mimic all the good I see in Iowa State

I just don't know how he'd adjust to LA coming after 5 years in Ames. Big jump, that. Plus young kids in school. But apparently no buy-out if he leaves before December 31?

In any case, if he has interest in USC, IMA not be upset at all if I were to learn USC has interest in him.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Kiffin wasn't fired for that reason, though. Kiffin was fired for poor performance and losing the locker room. I still don't know why, Haden hired him out of Tennessee, after going 7-6, anyway. But I get it you don't care if our head coach is a role model or not.
Not to defend Haden, but Kiffen went 7-6 at USC after starting the season ranked #1, and was showing no signs of recovering as the team was looking even worse the following season. He had shown no signs in his previous 2 gigs at the Raiders and Tennessee that he had the right stuff as HC.

Despite the sanctions (which were crippling, no argument there), we were losing to teams that we still out talented by a wide margin. And as was mentioned, he had lost the locker room.

Now that Kiffen has matured a bit, rehabbed under Saban, and had some success at FAU and Ole Miss, that doesn’t change the situation from 2013, when looks like Kiffen just wasn’t ready to be HC yet.

He should not have been fired on the tarmac, that was wrong. But I was happy to hear when he was let go. Of course, I wouldn’t have been so happy if I’d have known that Haden was just going to hire Sark, then Helton.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Not to defend Haden, but Kiffen went 7-6 at USC after starting the season ranked #1, and was showing no signs of recovering as the team was looking even worse the following season. He had shown no signs in his previous 2 gigs at the Raiders and Tennessee that he had the right stuff as HC.

Despite the sanctions (which were crippling, no argument there), we were losing to teams that we still out talented by a wide margin. And as was mentioned, he had lost the locker room.

Now that Kiffen has matured a bit, rehabbed under Saban, and had some success at FAU and Ole Miss, that doesn’t change the situation from 2013, when looks like Kiffen just wasn’t ready to be HC yet.

He should not have been fired on the tarmac, that was wrong. But I was happy to hear when he was let go. Of course, I wouldn’t have been so happy if I’d have known that Haden was just going to hire Sark, then Helton.
Well stated

I just don't know if his staff will be able to bring the type of offense that we'd want here.

FightonOC

Nov 5, 2017

Ohio St next.

Ok...so they struggled...that is going to happen (see terrible oregon st losses with Pete). Did they win? Yes, still undefeated and not exposed until they lose. Lets just see how this plays out. You can certainly say the cinci team look better coached than USC.