Helton is a great Guy!

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
It was very impressive to see all the tweets by players and coaches regarding Helton’s departure. Yes he was a class act and represented the University well. He treated players and coaches like family which is awesome, but in the end was there reciprocation?
It made me immediately think of an enabler. Someone who always showed and demonstrated love, but never was disciplined enough to get on you. I remember the penalties incurred and he would talk about it, but it never got fixed. I remember Helton constantly backing Callaway when critics were asking about the OLine play. He kept him till the end until he was told by Swann he had to go.
I then think about coaches that got let go, some well deserved, but other like Ausmus. He was praised by Helton only to get let go and replaced by Stiner. I know that may have been a Bohn decision, but did Helton do Ausmus a favor by constantly praising him Only to get blind sided and eventually let go.
Yes we saw the great tweets, but I am sure there are others that feel otherwise that his firing was payback Is a *****! Then I think about the $10M golden parachute he is walking away with and I don’t feel too bad.
I guess it really pays to be a nice guy even if you don’t know what you are doing! Everybody loves you, well mostly only the people that posted their feelings, but where has that gotten them? Did players get developed and prepared for the next level? Players were actually asking Helton for tougher practices. Coaches now have to audition to see if they have value to be retained and they could just be relieved if the new coach has his own guys. So this is where we are at, we loved our head coach, but where does it leave them? In the end, did they reciprocate his love or just took advantage of a nice guy that was in way over his head! Just putting it out there!
Fight On!

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It was very impressive to see all the tweets by players and coaches regarding Helton’s departure. Yes he was a class act and represented the University well. He treated players and coaches like family which is awesome, but in the end was there reciprocation?
It made me immediately think of an enabler. Someone who always showed and demonstrated love, but never was disciplined enough to get on you. I remember the penalties incurred and he would talk about it, but it never got fixed. I remember Helton constantly backing Callaway when critics were asking about the OLine play. He kept him till the end until he was told by Swann he had to go.
I then think about coaches that got let go, some well deserved, but other like Ausmus. He was praised by Helton only to get let go and replaced by Stiner. I know that may have been a Bohn decision, but did Helton do Ausmus a favor by constantly praising him Only to get blind sided and eventually let go.
Yes we saw the great tweets, but I am sure there are others that feel otherwise that his firing was payback Is a *****! Then I think about the $10M golden parachute he is walking away with and I don’t feel too bad.
I guess it really pays to be a nice guy even if you don’t know what you are doing! Everybody loves you, well mostly only the people that posted their feelings, but where has that gotten them? Did players get developed and prepared for the next level? Players were actually asking Helton for tougher practices. Coaches now have to audition to see if they have value to be retained and they could just be relieved if the new coach has his own guys. So this is where we are at, we loved our head coach, but where does it leave them? In the end, did they reciprocate his love or just took advantage of a nice guy that was in way over his head! Just putting it out there!
Fight On!
All true nothing but empty platitudes for a bad coach.

Last edited:

bremillard

Aug 24, 2017
I want a "good guy" for my neighbor not my football coach. When I played ball my coach was a domineering prick but we never lost a game. We were literally afraid to lose. Pete Carroll was also a good guy but he knew when to say when and his teams respected him. I am glad this guy is gone...good or otherwise. Now maybe USC can get back to work and do whatever it takes to win.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Clay, I think, was, at bottom, sincere. He was wrong, but he was sincere. He was not up to the job, but I believe he wrongly, sincerely thought he was. Many have called him a con man. But I say Lynn Swann was the true con man of all conmen that ever infested USC. He is very smart, but he betrayed us, knowingly and wrongly doing what he did concerning Clay Helton.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Clay, I think, was, at bottom, sincere. He was wrong, but he was sincere. He was not up to the job, but I believe he wrongly, sincerely thought he was. Many have called him a con man. But I say Lynn Swann was the true con man of all conmen that ever infested USC. He is very smart, but he betrayed us, knowingly and wrongly doing what he did concerning Clay Helton.
All the AD's screwed us after the sanctions until now...Swann just buried the dagger.

Aug 24, 2017
Was also a loser, terrible fit, and fish-out-of-water for USC, LA, SoCal. Redneck-Hayseed-Gomer-Hillbilly-BibleThumping-Maggot!! Let him go back to the Deep (Red) South with all the other ignorant, mayonnaise sandwich eating morons!

conquest4ever81

Sep 2, 2017
Was also a loser, terrible fit, and fish-out-of-water for USC, LA, SoCal. Redneck-Hayseed-Gomer-Hillbilly-BibleThumping-Maggot!! Let him go back to the Deep (Red) South with all the other ignorant, mayonnaise sandwich eating morons!
You should really get over yourself. Actually, quite pathetic.

Attachments

• drama-tit.gif
    drama-tit.gif
    557.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: SoUtahTrojan

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
yikes

2blkk

Aug 24, 2017
Fight On!
Kids want candy !

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
You’re a nice foil for that Reality dude. If I ignore you both my life achieves a nice balance.

Reactions: fansincearnett

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Clay is probably a good man, but there is no sincerity in constantly lying to the media and fan base about the direction of the program.
He sounded like a politician begging for another term, despite policies that lead to terrible results.

Latest posts