Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017
Instead of just throwing a bunch of names on a dartboard, let's look at which ones are actually viable and go from there:

1. Fickell -- if nothing else, based on his prior relationship with Bohn. We can also pay him a lot more money and his buyout is next to nothing. Still and yet, you have to convince him and his wife that there is life outside the Midwest, and that might be a bridge too far
  2. Franklin -- has it good at PSU but knows he will always be sloppy seconds to tOSU. He also has a "Hollywood" personality and would be a good fit for the area (unlike a Chris Petersen). Even though he's from the East Coast he's not married to the area.
  3. Bobby Stoops -- unencumbered if nothing else. Will be there or thereabouts in the rankings but probably not a home run hire
  4. Joe Moorhead -- young, runs the kind of offense that most SC fans long for. From the Cristobal weed. Only making $900K at Oregon
  5. Joe Brady -- SoCal ties plus the Clemson weed
  6. Chris Petersen -- is this the time he decides he is not burned out after all? If nothing else, we get the discipline we have not had in years
  7. Kyle Whittingham -- Utah pretty much took him off the market with his last contract BUT he only knows coaching players nobody else wants and then coaches them up. Given our recruiting base, perhaps he turns into a different type of coach?
  8. Matt Campbell -- that would be a tough one. He's everybody's flavor of the month NOW but a couple of Helton-like seasons might bring him, and us, back down to earth
  9. Ryan Nielsen -- the "X" factor. Young, well-respected, on his way up the ladder in the NFL, some college coaching experience, and has ties to both the area and the school
  10. Dante Williams -- not based on anything other than Bohn has him in his back pocket in case 1-9 don't pan out. Unless Bohn has told him otherwise, we should consider him "auditioning" for the open position. It's not as if we have never made "expedient" hires in the past and then back-filled the justification. After a $10+M buyout, the salary we would probably pay him is refreshing. And then there is the issue of whether the new coach, if it is not Williams, keeps him.
Not viable:
  1. Urban -- he's still the same guy that Folt and Caruso blackballed at any price. Absolutely NO chance he could work within USC's corporate culture. He'd go Chernobyl and walk out the first time the Title IX office got involved with one of his players (which would probably be soon would based on the type of players he gets)
  2. Del Rio -- yeah, yeah, I know BIG defensive guy. Has never coached a single down at the college level. We need someone who can hit the ground running, not someone with a 2-3 year learning curve.

Last edited:

Chicagotrojan

Sep 15, 2018
Instead of just throwing a bunch of names on a dartboard, let's look at which ones are actually viable and go from there:

1. Fickell -- if nothing else, based on his prior relationship with Bohn. We can also pay him a lot more money and his buyout is next to nothing. Still and yet, you have to convince him and his wife that there is life outside the Midwest, and that might be a bridge too far
  2. Franklin -- has it good at PSU but knows he will always be sloppy seconds to tOSU. He also has a "Hollywood" personality and would be a good fit for the area (unlike a Chris Petersen). Even though he's from the East Coast he's not married to the area.
  3. Bobby Stoops -- unencumbered if nothing else. Will be there or thereabouts in the rankings but probably not a home run hire
  4. Joe Moorhead -- young, runs the kind of offense that most SC fans long for. From the Cristobal weed. Only making $900K at Oregon
  6. Chris Petersen -- is this the time he decides he is not burned out after all? If nothing else, we get the discipline we have not had in years
  7. Kyle Whittingham -- Utah pretty much took him off the market with his last contract BUT he only knows coaching players nobody else wants and then coaches them up. Given our recruiting base, perhaps he turns into a different type of coach?
  8. Matt Campbell -- that would be a tough one. He's everybody's flavor of the month NOW but a couple of Helton-like seasons might bring him, and us, back down to earth
  9. Ryan Nielsen -- the "X" factor. Young, well-respected, on his way up the ladder in the NFL, some college coaching experience, and has ties to both the area and the school
  10. Dante Williams -- not based on anything other than Bohn has him in his back pocket in case 1-9 don't pan out. Unless Bohn has told him otherwise, we should consider him "auditioning" for the open position. It's not as if we have never made "expedient" hires in the past and then back-filled the justification. After a $10+M buyout, the salary we would probably pay him is refreshing. And then there is the issue of whether the new coach, if it is not Williams, keeps him.
Not viable:
  1. Urban -- he's still the same guy that Folt and Caruso blackballed at any price. Absolutely NO chance he could work within USC's corporate culture. He'd go Chernobyl and walk out the first time the Title IX office got involved with one of his players (which would probably be soon would based on the type of players he gets)
  2. Del Rio -- yeah, yeah, I know BIG defensive guy. Has never coached a single down at the college level. We need someone who can hit the ground running, not someone with a 2-3 year learning curve.
Still really feel that we need to at least ask about Dabo, if even through back channels. Someone up-thread suggested he may be where Jimbo was before he took flight to A&M. I think there's something to this. Alabama is not opening up anytime soon. Why not make your mark at another marquee school, win a few championships, and cement your legacy on the Mt Rushmore of college coaches? Right now, he's still looking up to Saban, and perhaps also to Urban.

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
The question I have is would Cristobal actually leave Oregon to stay in conference? Finebaum had some really good points about either needing a personality that fits LA or having someone with a strong understanding of west coast recruiting and can keep recruits home.

Reactions: ScottSchrader

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
If Donte wins out, he will have a shot.

Think about it people: Replacing him with a white guy would have serious repercussions.
That says everything about what's wrong with football, these days. Wiliams has zero head coaching experience. He's never even been an offensive or defensive coordinator. He has zero top programs in his coaching tree, and, perhaps telling, in a fourteen year career, his longest stint with any team has been two years.

Why would a school with a solid football tradition pick him over an assistant with a better resume, like Brent Venables, or even better, a head coach with a solid record at a decent program, like Fickell? Even if he wins every game for the rest of the season, skin color seems like the lamest of reasons to choose a coach with an otherwise weak resume.
Matt Campbell please.
Why? It's hard to see why he'd even make the list. His W/L record is mediocre.

flyerz73

Aug 24, 2017
Still really feel that we need to at least ask about Dabo, if even through back channels. Someone up-thread suggested he may be where Jimbo was before he took flight to A&M. I think there's something to this. Alabama is not opening up anytime soon. Why not make your mark at another marquee school, win a few championships, and cement your legacy on the Mt Rushmore of college coaches? Right now, he's still looking up to Saban, and perhaps also to Urban.
I agree. It seems like a non-starter ... but you never know. This is about to be a new world with the NIL thing, where USC may have a bigger advantage than people understand.

TheRealAirbns

Aug 24, 2017
I think half the head coaches out there are sociopaths, but I think some are better actors than others. I think Saban is a sociopath. There's too much money involved these days. These guys would do anything to get it and keep it.
Okay, then, he's a sociopath who can't act well enough to keep himself from coming across like a sociopath. Satisfied? And, frankly, trading in an SEC job for one at USC, with it's 3rd rate stadium and its bad culture, would be a demotion.

flyerz73

Aug 24, 2017
Okay, then, he's a sociopath who can't act well enough to keep himself from coming across like a sociopath. Satisfied? And, frankly, trading in an SEC job for one at USC, with it's 3rd rate stadium and its bad culture, would be a demotion.
My point was that I wouldn't eliminate a candidate because he's a sociopath. I think you'd be eliminating some good candidates.

denali15

Aug 28, 2017
Lane Kiffin is my 3rd choice. I think Kiffin has grown up since his USC days, 10 years ago. He has done a fantastic job at BAMA, Florida Atlantic and Mississippi. Kiffin is a great and one of the best offensive minds in FB, most of all he is a great recruiter. No, Kiffin would be an awesome 3rd choice. I would bet the farm, in 3 years he could get USC FB into the final 4, one of the 4 CPO teams...
Nope. I can never forget him having Reggie out of the game on 4th and 2. Some genius!

Reactions: sc/pacx

AtownSC

Sep 8, 2017
My long shot of you can’t get Fickell, Campbell or Petersen. Chris Kleiman K State. He is 2-0 vs Oklahoma. Just beat Stanford last week. In his 3rd year he is 2-0 so far. Went 8-5 and 4-6 last year without his QB and a Covid distraction. He’s had some rotten luck with injuries. His overall record is 86-24. He’s a defense first type of guy. Right now K state is #15 in the nation in total defense USC is out side of the top 50. He’s only 53 years old and just starting his career he’s 14-11 in the Big 12 with someone else’s roster. Most of his losses were close. I see a future star who’s working with a 3 star roster in the bIg 12. No doubt in my mind with USC roster he averages 10 wins a season and he puts a playoff defense on the field. He runs the ball so there will not be an Air Raid system. His salary 3.1 million a year. I think he would accept the USC job.
Love it. If we cant get any of the popular names floating around..... Klieman would be my choice. The sum product of his team is better than each individual player, basically opposite of Helton.... The guy just builds winners. Give him keys to the Lambo and see what he can do.

vikings4123

Oct 20, 2018
Love it. If we cant get any of the popular names floating around..... Klieman would be my choice. The sum product of his team is better than each individual player, basically opposite of Helton.... The guy just builds winners. Give him keys to the Lambo and see what he can do.
Fully agree. He has 2 national championships from North Dakota State. Yes, that is D2 but he has done it.

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Fully agree. He has 2 national championships from North Dakota State. Yes, that is D2 but he has done it.
He’s just a no nonsense defense first guy. Tough guy. He didn’t take Sean Snyder BS that’s how he ended up at USC. His daddy’s name didn’t carry any weight with him. He will hire who he thinks will help him win. Snyder was disgruntled when they didn’t offer him the K State HC job and bolted. Poop guy was bipassed again. He’s more qualified to be a HC being the son of a legendary coach and his experience than Williams and still got bipassed.

Last edited:

old scotty

Aug 24, 2017
There was a day not too long ago when Tom Herman’s stock was pretty high.
there is a lot of sexual misconduct being alleged against him....albeit from untested sources....but circumstantially it is troubling.

He is a Mensa member who has had a history of bad personal judgment

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
Personality and charisma will play a large part in success at USC.
What separates PC’s USC teams and other powers over the past 20 years is USC was far more fun and cool than any other program. Alabama, Georgia, tOSU all didn’t come close. The new USC coach will not only have to install the discipline, accountability and toughness that has been missing, but will have to bring back the fun and cool like PC did that made USC so freaking captivating. That’ll help beat out recruiting battles against the new SEC super conference.

GilbertAZTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
I know winning cures all but I'm just asking the question...if USC were to hire Fickell or Campbell or Kleiman, etc., coaches from smaller schools in the Midwest, would they be the kind of names that could lock up and lock down Southern California recruiting? Would the studs from Mater Dei, Bosco, etc. be excited to play for one of these coaches if they were at USC vs their current schools?

I simply don't know the answer but would love some insight. This is where I think James Franklin or Mario Cristobal may have a slight advantage but ultimately no name is bigger than that one guy down in Jacksonville.

Reactions: USCHusbandUCLAWife

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

Not viable:
Chris, Kyle nor Dante are a option (no more internal hiring, plz) ...

(Not at you) Mario is not leaving Oregon, folks!

Last edited:

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
Jamey Chadwell at Coastal Carolina with his staff is legit. He has been lights out, and will get major looks from P5 schools at the end of this year.

Reactions: 4heisman

Poodlemothra

Aug 24, 2017
If Donte wins out, he will have a shot.

Think about it people: Replacing him with a white guy would have serious repercussions.
With Harrell's Offense and Tony Orlando's 'tie a yellow ribbon' D, this team will not go undefeated the remainder of the season. Three to four losses would be acceptable under the circumstances.

81trojan

Sep 6, 2021
Fickell will take the job if offered, as he knows he will never beat out Ohio St. for the top recruits in Ohio. And as to neighbor states, he will never steal top PA recruits from Penn St., top MI recruits from Michigan and Michigan St., or top IN recruits from Notre Dame. So there will always be a ceiling on how well Cincinnati can do.
But if he does well at SC, he can shut the door on other teams stealing So Cal recruits and pull in some national recruits, ala CPC.

kg0220

Jan 31, 2018
Oregon fan here:

I don't think Cristobal will leave. To be frank, Helton's roster mismanagement has been pretty rough and antithetical to CMC's style. It would be a complete rebuild with a bonus kick Donte to the curb immediately. Really, there's more pressure, a higher cost of living, and his family loves Eugene/vice versa. He's got it really, really good in the 541.

I think you all will get:

Fickell
Franklin
Stoops
Del Rio

Hoping for a good coach as it will boost the conference.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Oregon fan here:

I don't think Cristobal will leave. To be frank, Helton's roster mismanagement has been pretty rough and antithetical to CMC's style. It would be a complete rebuild with a bonus kick Donte to the curb immediately. Really, there's more pressure, a higher cost of living, and his family loves Eugene/vice versa. He's got it really, really good in the 541.

I think you all will get:

Fickell
Franklin
Stoops
Del Rio

Hoping for a good coach as it will boost the conference.
No one here with a brain thinks Mario will leave Oregon.

Last edited:

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
USC won't be the only Big Time program looking for a new HC by the end of the year; we're just the first to make the move.
USC won’t be the only Big Time program to make a change, but we will be the biggest. I don’t see any of the other blue bloods making a change at HC.

But I suspect there will be some extensions being offered to good HC’s out there at their current programs.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021
The question I have is would Cristobal actually leave Oregon to stay in conference? Finebaum had some really good points about either needing a personality that fits LA or having someone with a strong understanding of west coast recruiting and can keep recruits home.

Head coaches hire guys who know West, East, South and North coast recruiting. The head coach just needs to have recruiting be a top priority and demand a lot from his assistants in that regard.

USC need a strong leader with outstanding relationship building skills. And Preferably is close friends with several Elite OL Coaches haha

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Have you heard of something called $$$$$...i hear it does wonders to peple and their mind sets.

Dabo makes something like $8M…..with that as a STARTING POINT for negotiations, that ain’t happening. ‘SC would have to get to the $10M mark minimally.

Dabo would have to start all over out West, when he’s a king in South Carolina.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Gold Trojan

Aug 27, 2017
Dabo makes something like $8M…..with that as a STARTING POINT for negotiations, that ain’t happening. ‘SC would have to get to the $10M mark minimally.

Dabo would have to start all over out West, when he’s a king in South Carolina.
Closer to $11MM. Both of his sons are on the team. He has 100% IPTAY and community support.

He isn’t leaving for LA.

Latest posts