Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

DMVDUCK

Mar 6, 2017
Lol...come on man. You've been smoking too much of that peyote. When it comes to well known top college football programs, Oregon is not in USC's stratosphere...just because we have had a string of ****** coaches due to horrible leadership in Heritage Hall does not mean Oregon has become a more prestigious program. USC would definitely be a step up from Oregon.
To be clear when I said take a step back I meant in terms of rebuilding. Cristobal is finally reaping the rewards of incredible recruiting for the last 3 years. At usc he's looking at totally rebuilding the ol to run the style of football he wants.

Reactions: USCHusbandUCLAWife

Jim Steele

Aug 24, 2017
This makes no sense, he's never been a head coach...so you just want to repeat the same mistake over again? that's what i'm hearing. You have to be trolling.
Why trolling? I don't expect it to happen, but if Donte can take this team, with Graham Harrell as OC, and go undefeated the rest of the season, which includes beating Whoregon and (probably overrated) ND? You'd have to think that shows some real ability. Not just potential. If he can do that, I think he'd have to be seriously considered. So long as he agrees CGH has to go.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
To be clear when I said take a step back I meant in terms of rebuilding. Cristobal is finally reaping the rewards of incredible recruiting for the last 3 years. At usc he's looking at totally rebuilding the ol to run the style of football he wants.
It's somewhat of a rebuild...they have the talent already. That's not the problem. They need good coaching and someone who knows how to hold people accountable. Accountability will fix enough of the problems to make USC the top program in the West. It's not a total rebuild like other programs who lack the talented players.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Why trolling? I don't expect it to happen, but if Donte can take this team, with Graham Harrell as OC, and go undefeated the rest of the season, which includes beating Whoregon and (probably overrated) ND? You'd have to think that shows some real ability. Not just potential. If he can do that, I think he'd have to be seriously considered. So long as he agrees CGH has to go.
I would have to agree with you on that assessment. This team, with this offense. I'm not sure if Nick Saban could win out. So if Donte does it, that proves to me he has what it takes to be the head coach. I get the apprehension because interim coaches in the past have done well enough to get the job only to fall flat on their faces as the full time guy.

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
It's somewhat of a rebuild...they have the talent already. That's not the problem. They need good coaching and someone who knows how to hold people accountable. Accountability will fix enough of the problems to make USC the top program in the West. It's not a total rebuild like other programs who lack the talented players.
To use another Lakers reference, this is like when Phil was brought in board. There’s a very talented roster but they just need someone to lead them that knows how to get them to the next level. Clay had reached his ceiling. In no way is this a rebuild.

Reactions: Pudly76 and usc2k21

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
This makes no sense, he's never been a head coach...so you just want to repeat the same mistake over again? that's what i'm hearing. You have to be trolling.
“My wishes” Is the key to the statement. Does it matter to you who/which coach gets it done….brings SC back to glory? No one believes Donte is the heir apparent for the job. But, if he performs the way I outlined in my scenario (undefeated the rest of the way….builds dynasty), why would you change coaches, just for the hell of it?

So, you’re firing a guy that goes 10-1, this season, and goes on a dynastic run, afterwards, just because he had zero head coaching experience, before the success?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
“My wishes” Is the key to the statement. Does it matter to you who/which coach gets it done….brings SC back to glory? No one believes Donte is the heir apparent for the job. But, if he performs the way I outlined in my scenario (undefeated the rest of the way….builds dynasty), why would you change coaches, just for the hell of it?

So, you’re firing a guy that goes 10-1, this season, and goes on a dynastic run, afterwards, just because he had zero head coaching experience, before the success?
USC needs to stop messing around and hire a head coach, not what looks good at the moment. Because what are you going to say, when he doesn't have the chops as the head coach and has to learn on the job? which he is doing right now. It's not that hard to understand. Also, there is no "change coaches" he's just the interim. He should expect to not be hired as the Head coach. He'd have to win the national championship or go to the playoffs, for me to be okay with that, even then. We've seen how things can turn ugly, like at LSU with Orgeron or Clay Helton with Sam Darnold. False positives doesn't mean, success down the line.

Like how are you predicting that he goes on a dynastic run? that makes no sense. I swear, folks talk about wanting change but really want things to stay the same.

This is a contradicting statement lol why would he let CGH go if he goes undefeated? especially, after beating the Ducks? remember folks, we've been down this road before and the rest of the fanbase will see major red flags, after the AD said that they'd go on a search for a new HC. Only for him to do another internal hire? not a good look. Plus the players, will be playing off of emotion but that doesn't mean that it will transition into progress long term. It's not like Donte "learned" under Helton, that dude didn't know how to development players at all, we can't continue putting in place coaches, that have have never done it before.

I mean there's always noise about there being a lack of discipline or progress. But that's what happens, when you hire inexperienced ppl at the very top of your program.

Last edited:

SC93er

Aug 24, 2017
To use another Lakers reference, this is like when Phil was brought in board. There’s a very talented roster but they just need someone to lead them that knows how to get them to the next level. Clay had reached his ceiling. In no way is this a rebuild.
I would argue that it's a mix. Our lines definitely need rebuilding. No coach, no matter how great, can turn three-star OL or DL talent into championship-quality lines. And unfortunately, while we've been great at bringing in four and five-star talent at the skill positions, our lines are littered with lesser talent.

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
As Keen shared on another thread, the talent is middle of the road. This IMO is a 6-6 team. That is why Helton is gone.
There are going to be mass transfers out of USC after the season. Player evaluation will be the first task a new HC and staff will engage in.

If the talent was truly 4-5 star level, USC would have beat an average Stanford team handily. My eyes do not deceive me.

Fickell for the wins.

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
During the Pete Carrol time every year SC had at least 25 Parade All Americans. You cannot win championship with two-or three stars. The SC players we saw at Stanford game were mostly slow, unmotivated, and error-prone. The QB had definitely regressed. The coaching was horrible. Football 101 says that you don't catch a punt at your five or ten yard line. You have to go 95 or 90 yard to score. And to do that with this offense is like climbing to the top of Everest. It is absolutely nonsensical to suggest some of the names that are thrown in as the next USC football coach. It seems football agents are throwing the names of their clients into the hat hoping for a miracle. SC needs a championship-caliber coach like Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops who have proven records. Mr. Bohn should not make the mistake of appointing someone who doesn't have high winning percentage and championship record to this important position.

FightonOC

Nov 5, 2017
Lane Kiffin is my 3rd choice. I think Kiffin has grown up since his USC days, 10 years ago. He has done a fantastic job at BAMA, Florida Atlantic and Mississippi. Kiffin is a great and one of the best offensive minds in FB, most of all he is a great recruiter. No, Kiffin would be an awesome 3rd choice. I would bet the farm, in 3 years he could get USC FB into the final 4, one of the 4 CPO teams...
I see what you are saying and maybe he does get a shot later...I would love the return of the arrogant nation blog...he was hilarious. Anyway, IMO Lane is not the right choice for now but I could see a 55 year old Kiffin back at SC, Bush as the RB coach, and Leinart/Palmer QB coaches.

Take care and FFO

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
So Wolf (I know) just tweeted that his “sources” say Cristobal is the top choice. Then follows it with “Doesn't mean he wants it or will get it”. Sigh
I don't believe the USC - Cristobal connection should be immediately dismissed, even though Oregon media has been over the top in its claims that Cristobal wouldn't possibly look at USC.

mickhooligan

Aug 27, 2017
Everyone acts like Mario wouldn’t leave but Fickell is less likely to leave than him due that he is an Ohio guy and waiting for OSU. Plus just moved to Power 5 conference and will be considered favorites in that conference with easier path. Give me Cristobal all day everyday. Need a recruiter!!!
Day at OSU is doing a better job than Fickell, so that’s gonna be a long wait.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
I don't believe the USC - Cristobal connection should be immediately dismissed, even though Oregon media has been over the top in its claims that Cristobal wouldn't possibly look at USC.
I’m sure $7million+ Can change his mind

Kaptain Karl

Feb 16, 2018
Dan Quinn is not the sexy name in the media right now, but I'll put money that he ends up being one of the top candidates once we get close to the end of the season.

FightonOC

Nov 5, 2017
INDIANA Loss - What happens if Cinci loses to IU this weekend? It is a real possibility...Is Fickel still your top choice? This is what is great about having more time to assess the coaches. Cinci has A LOT of pressure this season. IF he can handle the pressue then MAYBE he can handle LA if he wants it. Anyway that is just my 0.02

FFO

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
Kalen DeBoer was 67-3 at Sioux Falls in 5 years lost in semis first year next 4 he won 3-4 his loss coming in finals. So he is a very fine coach.

Yeah, I’ve seen his name and resume….he’s a fine coach….but it ain’t happening here. It was just my attempt at humor.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
INDIANA Loss - What happens if Cinci loses to IU this weekend? It is a real possibility...Is Fickel still your top choice? This is what is great about having more time to assess the coaches. Cinci has A LOT of pressure this season. IF he can handle the pressue then MAYBE he can handle LA if he wants it. Anyway that is just my 0.02

FFO
Looking forward to their game with ND

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
One thing I want once USC gets a new HC. I hope they hire Jim Leonhard as DC from Wisconsin. Great defensive teams and play calling since 2017.

JC SOXX

Aug 24, 2017
After a long and exhausting search we select Donte Williams.

Last edited:

Latest posts