Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
I don't believe the USC - Cristobal connection should be immediately dismissed, even though Oregon media has been over the top in its claims that Cristobal wouldn't possibly look at USC.
I don't think it should be immediately dismissed, but eventually so. What has Oregon actually done in addition to improving its recruiting? Didn't win the Pac 12 North last year, got into the Pac 12 championship because of COVID in Washington's team, and then lost their bowl game pretty handily. They beat an Ohio State team which has looked nothing like a championship team; nice win, but let's see a full season of great play and getting into the championship. If we look at Cristobal, then we have passed a lot of great candidates.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Interesting takes here.

Wow, I really enjoyed this conversation and I think both Feldman and Roth have some great points. If you haven't please listen to this. This recruitment is much more complicated than one would think and anyone on this board who claims to know something knows nothing. I think what Yogi Roth said at the end is the take home for all of us. If you are able, go see this team play Oregon State and support the kids on the team and the staff who are going to navigate a difficult year. You can do a lot to be sure we get a quality coach when they see how much the fanbase supports the team.

IndianaJoe

Sep 19, 2021
While I would be ecstatic to see Matt Campbell as our new HC, I am not sure he would leave midwest or even if he could relate to CA players
And I feel we may have solid, FUTURE head coach already on side line.
I would love to see Bohn lay out long term plan. Make the hire of older, established head coach. (Meyer, Stoops, Petersen) My choice would be Chris Petersen. He is proven winner at both Boise and UW. When discussing USC during game yesterday, he was very exuberant about what they needed in next coach. So maybe still has the fire.
He also might be able to bring along Offensive Line Coach Scott Huff who was very successful for him at Boise and has produced great lines at UW. It would also go a long ways in improving our chances of signing offensive tackles Josh Connerly and Malik Agbo from WA.
If they can convince him to come out of retirement, I would set up Donte Williams as Associate Head Coach and possibly co-defensive coordinator. He can be groomed as future head coach as likely Petersen would only be looking for short run. This gives us opportunity to keep possibly the best recruiter on the west coast and hopefully set us up for long run

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I've been through too many SC Coaching Search Rodeos to dream about big names coming to LA. Here's my list of the guys I expect to be hired along with the chance percentage. Keep in mind I'm not favoring any of these coaches, these are just who I expect to be hired:

Donte Williams----30%
Jack Del Rio--------20%
Justin Wilcox------10%
Marvin Lewis------10%
Greg Schiano------10%
Ed Orgeron---------10%
Kris Richard--------10%

Funny stuff. Well done.

IMO, the only one on that list who, under certain conditions, may have a realistic shot is Donte.

Our AD is not at all who was here before him, otherwise I'd accept your concerns as valid. I'll admit I'm not without trepidation, but for now I am trusting Bohn to do this right and identify & land a really great hire.

That said, I'll guarantee there will be some very loud voices of dissent and, sadly they'll be posting early and often to let us know of their malcontent right here, on On3.

Regardless, whoever gets hired, he/she will get 100% support from me, unless and until they establish by actual performance, not just negative assumption, that they can't get it done.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Jeff Hafley!?!?!!

Not based on his 1 full year HC experience and being only 9-5 at BC, with 3 of those coming in 2021, against Colgate, UMass and Temple.

He may be a terrific candidate, but he hasn't proved it based on what he's done so far. IMO.

Scyeller

Aug 24, 2017
I think you'd HAVE to give him a shot if he pulled that off.

And no one would feel bad about it.
I don't agree; I'd feel terrible about it. We don't need to repeat the mistakes of the past do we? Donte has Zero track record leading a program to major college football success. No more promising assistants learning how to build a program "on the job" at USC. Let's not make an emotional decision here. We need an experienced leader to bring this program back to where it belongs. I hope Donte helps build that with us.

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
I don't agree; I'd feel terrible about it. We don't need to repeat the mistakes of the past do we? Donte has Zero track record leading a program to major college football success. No more promising assistants learning how to build a program "on the job" at USC. Let's not make an emotional decision here. We need an experienced leader to bring this program back to where it belongs. I hope Donte helps build that with us.
You're not the only person who mis-interpreted my post, which clearly comes down to the way I phrased it.
I didn't mean give him a "shot" as in name him permanent Head Coach.
I meant a shot -for- the permanent job.

If he won out, he'd be one of the hottest and most proven-under-fire HC's in the country.
It's a long reach - we gotta beat Oregon State first. Then the next team, so on and so forth...

But -if- we're interviewing the best, and -if- he's puIled off something almost impossible, I think he should get a chance to interview having proven himself worth being talked about as among the best.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
Dave Aranda - I almost forgot about him. A premier defensive coordinator at LSU, now getting head coaching experience at Baylor. I guarantee, if Baylor wins alot of games this year, Aranda is a top candidate. Iowa State game this week will be big. Game against BYU might be two potential USC HC playing each other.

Young, smart and can mentor Donte as DC. Would be a great HC.

Or how about the Fresno State HC? A winner is a winner at any level.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12
Jul 23, 2019
While I would be ecstatic to see Matt Campbell as our new HC, I am not sure he would leave midwest or even if he could relate to CA players
And I feel we may have solid, FUTURE head coach already on side line.
I would love to see Bohn lay out long term plan. Make the hire of older, established head coach. (Meyer, Stoops, Petersen) My choice would be Chris Petersen. He is proven winner at both Boise and UW. When discussing USC during game yesterday, he was very exuberant about what they needed in next coach. So maybe still has the fire.
He also might be able to bring along Offensive Line Coach Scott Huff who was very successful for him at Boise and has produced great lines at UW. It would also go a long ways in improving our chances of signing offensive tackles Josh Connerly and Malik Agbo from WA.
If they can convince him to come out of retirement, I would set up Donte Williams as Associate Head Coach and possibly co-defensive coordinator. He can be groomed as future head coach as likely Petersen would only be looking for short run. This gives us opportunity to keep possibly the best recruiter on the west coast and hopefully set us up for long run
Dante was already the Associate HC.

Trubb

Sep 3, 2021
I can't see Mario taking a step back by going to usc
It's amazing how folks geeking over a guy who finally won one big game. Yes he can recruit. But he loses the games that they should never lose. I've seen Arizona blow his team out, Oregon st beat him, a overrated Auburn team who got there coach fired came back on his silly ***, and Washington st did they **** against him, Arizona st was blowing his wig back also while he had the keys coaching. Mind u if Taggart never left for the Florida st bag this same guy would be just coaching the elite linesman brought in. Oregon had all the right chips in place do to us lacking on staff and putting money into football like every other blue blood.
9-4
12-2
4-3
With elite talent from top to bottom I never seen him out coach nobody but Helton. I'm just saying.

Trubb

Sep 3, 2021
Lol...come on man. You've been smoking too much of that peyote. When it comes to well known top college football programs, Oregon is not in USC's stratosphere...just because we have had a string of ****** coaches due to horrible leadership in Heritage Hall does not mean Oregon has become a more prestigious program. USC would definitely be a step up from Oregon.
Right. Most of all he is not no elite coach. He's a elite recruitor, **** we got that type of coach right now.
Beating a overrated Ohio st with no defense didn't move me. Minnesota had them and showed the world they defense was soft as cotton.

Trubb

Sep 3, 2021
My wishes are for Donte to finish the season undefeated, get the permanent job, and go on a dynastic run. That would be the best case scenario.
If he loses at Nd I want lose to much sleep, thats damn near a bowl game plus we lacking on big bodies in the middle. ND is stacked, but if we win all the rest including BYU team who just ran through the Pac12. Hire the man and let him hire his own staff. How hard he recruits we want lose no more recruiting battles or pac12 championships. He want hire staff out of fearing for his job like clay. Dude will want only the best.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If he loses at Nd I want lose to much sleep, thats damn near a bowl game plus we lacking on big bodies in the middle. ND is stacked, but if we win all the rest including BYU team who just ran through the Pac12. Hire the man and let him hire his own staff. How hard he recruits we want lose no more recruiting battles or pac12 championships. He want hire staff out of fearing for his job like clay. Dude will want only the best.
You guys can't be serious...we want to hire another coach that has to learn on the job? I'm I living in the twilight zone? or you guys are trolling.

Last edited:

DMVDUCK

Mar 6, 2017
It's amazing how folks geeking over a guy who finally won one big game. Yes he can recruit. But he loses the games that they should never lose. I've seen Arizona blow his team out, Oregon st beat him, a overrated Auburn team who got there coach fired came back on his silly ***, and Washington st did they **** against him, Arizona st was blowing his wig back also while he had the keys coaching. Mind u if Taggart never left for the Florida st bag this same guy would be just coaching the elite linesman brought in. Oregon had all the right chips in place do to us lacking on staff and putting money into football like every other blue blood.
9-4
12-2
4-3
With elite talent from top to bottom I never seen him out coach nobody but Helton. I'm just saying.

In the 3 years before he got there Oregon had the number 16,27 and 19 classes. Where is this elite talent your referring too?

No one has ever accused Cristobal of being a tactical genius and arguing that point is dumb. He's great at recruiting and has a really good eye for coaching talent. I don't think he's made a single bad hire other than retaining Marcus arroyo.

Reactions: USCHusbandUCLAWife

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
Here's a name not being discussed and I doubt he leaves the NFL to go down to CFB, but what about John Harbaugh?
His teams are always mentally and physically tough, Baltimore has a great culture (which has been missing from SC since the CPC days), and his teams always se prepared and are competitive.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
No way do I wanna see Bob Stoops as the new HC!

Doubt Fickell would come out here, he's waiting for Cryin Ryan to bolt Columbus for the NFL; and the Mess he's made of that Loaded QB rm it may well be this yr!

Dabo ain't goin anywhere nor is Venables...

Campbell's a one trick pony an the lil 12 have figured him out...

TahoeTrojan

Feb 7, 2018
Disagree on Campbell. His DC is the real deal with what he is trying to do with a 3-high safety look. It is really innovative and puts his 2-3 star players in a successful position.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
No way do I wanna see Bob Stoops as the new HC!

Doubt Fickell would come out here, he's waiting for Cryin Ryan to bolt Columbus for the NFL; and the Mess he's made of that Loaded QB rm it may well be this yr!

Dabo ain't goin anywhere nor is Venables...

Campbell's a one trick pony an the lil 12 have figured him out...
So you want no one...good old fanbase. I swear these are the same ppl that didn't want Pete Carroll. lol

Y'all don't want a new HC. Y'all want a football god with no flaws to walk into Heritage hall and hand us national championships on a meat platter. While levitating on campus, stacking number 1 classes without breaking a sweat. Like some sweet whisper. The truth is you would have any of those coaches (Bob Stoop, ugh), if they won at USC and dominated the Pac-12. Period.

Meyer ain't comin

Last edited:

Latest posts