Hot Board: Next USC head coach (On3+)

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
We do need backups when kids get bruised up. And who knows how he’d do with some of that home cooking he’d be getting. But the greatest role he would play is as a magnet for his kid brother.
100% . If you have a couple dual threat QB I like that better than a dual threat and a less mobile guy tbh. I’m still holding on to see what Moss can do however and if he’s more mobile than Slovis I can see the potential . If not, I rather have similar style QB so more continuity if/when an injury will occur. We still have the same line issues and with that more QB depth is better. With that being said Nico is my guy for 2023 FTW!

Reactions: Pudly76

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
100% . If you have a couple dual threat QB I like that better than a dual threat and a less mobile guy tbh. I’m still holding on to see what Moss can do however and if he’s more mobile than Slovis I can see the potential . If not, I rather have similar style QB so more continuity if/when an injury will occur. We still have the same line issues and with that more QB depth is better. With that being said Nico is my guy for 2023 FTW!

Nico, yes…..a frosh backup is fine. I like his potential.

DJU, a 5* QB who went to Clemson as a Top3 school, isn’t going to transfer here to be a backup….especially at a project like our program currently is. And Dart, with his taste of stardom, isn’t going to remain a backup, either…..that’s just a headache in waiting.

Reactions: 03burrito

B1GTROJAN

Sep 7, 2021
Oh I see what you did… you’re assuming Dart already has the job locked up. I’m not trying to say he won’t win it but has he won it to play 2022 yet? I think not.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Well, since everyone is just apparently throwing out names, why not HeltonSpectre for coach?

Sheesh. Didn't realize you were the board arbiter here.

WTF? Board arbiter? Hahahahaha. O-tay.

What a tool.

You and your little gang of sissies-boys no longer run the board, sissy. Get used to it.

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
As an observer, you seem to be the one who is overly sensitive. Calling others “sissy” is classic pot meet kettle.

And why are you chimming-in? Humm?

Not that I care what you think, because I don’t, but I didn’t come after him, he came after me.

He clearly took the first shot out of left field, and without any provocation whatsoever, with the “HeltonSpectre” shot. It was a glaringly childish thing to do; a “sissy” thing, IMO. That’s how I see it; that’s how I called it.

If you don’t like it, TS.

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
I hope Mr. Bohn and his search committee would look seriously at a current red-hot college football team and consider and speculate on the underlying factors and reasons for its great success. Right now, the Georgia football program is the best college football program in the country. In my judgement it’s even better than Alabama football program and all the indications are that it will end up as the college football champion this year and a major force to deal with in college football in the years to come. Look at Georgia’s roster and see how many top-notch players they have; look at the coaching staff and see how competent, well-coordinated group it is; look at the players’ intensity, motivation, coordination, and zest in every game they play. Their defense, offense and special teams all play with enthusiasm and a strong will-to-win. Their player depth chart is amazing. The running backs are several layers deep and they are all good. The football program obviously generates a significant income for the university in terms of TV contracts, ticket sales, alumni support, donations, and so on. This income can support the university’s other sport programs and help the academic side also. In addition, a highly successful program like this can generate community goodwill and national attention and add to the prestige and reputation of the university.

USC football is one of the nation’s Top Five traditional football powerhouses. Unfortunately, due to the glaring mismanagement in the past twelve years the football program has been reduced to a pitiful state that is regularly humiliated and dominated by even average football teams. For several years the fan base has voiced its strong dislike of the status of the program but to no avail. The status que continued despite all the complaints and suggestions for its improvements. For instance, for many years the fans were requesting that the program’s priority should be on recruiting top-notch OL and DL players. However, this suggestion was never followed. The program lacked leadership, player development, effective coaching, and emphasis on passing rather than a balanced approach to offense. No team has won a championship with the silly Air Raid offense. It’s a joke. Look at the times the program had players like Sam Cunningham, Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell, Marcus Allen, and Reggie Bush and look at our laughable running games these days: it’s embarrassing for a football program nationally known as Tailback U.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I hope Mr. Bohn and his search committee would look seriously at a current red-hot college football team and consider and speculate on the underlying factors and reasons for its great success. Right now, the Georgia football program is the best college football program in the country. In my judgement it’s even better than Alabama football program and all the indications are that it will end up as the college football champion this year and a major force to deal with in college football in the years to come. Look at Georgia’s roster and see how many top-notch players they have; look at the coaching staff and see how competent, well-coordinated group it is; look at the players’ intensity, motivation, coordination, and zest in every game they play. Their defense, offense and special teams all play with enthusiasm and a strong will-to-win. Their player depth chart is amazing. The running backs are several layers deep and they are all good. The football program obviously generates a significant income for the university in terms of TV contracts, ticket sales, alumni support, donations, and so on. This income can support the university’s other sport programs and help the academic side also. In addition, a highly successful program like this can generate community goodwill and national attention and add to the prestige and reputation of the university.

USC football is one of the nation’s Top Five traditional football powerhouses. Unfortunately, due to the glaring mismanagement in the past twelve years the football program has been reduced to a pitiful state that is regularly humiliated and dominated by even average football teams. For several years the fan base has voiced its strong dislike of the status of the program but to no avail. The status que continued despite all the complaints and suggestions for its improvements. For instance, for many years the fans were requesting that the program’s priority should be on recruiting top-notch OL and DL players. However, this suggestion was never followed. The program lacked leadership, player development, effective coaching, and emphasis on passing rather than a balanced approach to offense. No team has won a championship with the silly Air Raid offense. It’s a joke. Look at the times the program had players like Sam Cunningham, Anthony Davis, Ricky Bell, Marcus Allen, and Reggie Bush and look at our laughable running games these days: it’s embarrassing for a football program nationally known as Tailback U.
And they took our qb that most here berated liberally and often, going so far as to say he should sit behind Sears (who now will get his masters from that wonderful bsu), who is sitting now in boise.

You remember Chuck and duck?

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Chicagotrojan

Sep 15, 2018

Well said. Going after a coach from a perceived "hot" program (think Iowa State, UCF, and dare I say, Ole Miss) may be fools gold. Most of the best teams in the country win in the trenches (LOS) and can still ground-and-pound while still having spread offense concepts (at least on paper). Programs who cannot consistently do this are often smoke and mirrors. Oklahoma and Clemson this year are struggling because their o-lines are young and inexperienced. Kirby Smart is winning with phenomenal recruiting, player development (exhibit A - JT Daniels), and winning with the big boys in front with a balanced offense. Even in the NFL, the foundation to the best passing offenses are the threat of a good running game.

We can be Tailback U, WR U, LB U, and DB U once again under the right leadership.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Well said. Going after a coach from a perceived "hot" program (think Iowa State, UCF, and dare I say, Ole Miss) may be fools gold. Most of the best teams in the country win in the trenches (LOS) and can still ground-and-pound while still having spread offense concepts (at least on paper). Programs who cannot consistently do this are often smoke and mirrors. Oklahoma and Clemson this year are struggling because their o-lines are young and inexperienced. Kirby Smart is winning with phenomenal recruiting, player development (exhibit A - JT Daniels), and winning with the big boys in front with a balanced offense. Even in the NFL, the foundation to the best passing offenses are the threat of a good running game.

We can be Tailback U, WR U, LB U, and DB U once again under the right leadership.
You really think they developed JT? Now that’s funny. Think Dave Money.

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017

Well said and a very nice writeup. I even suggest that the new coach should visit three programs (Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State) and talk to their coaches and see their facilities. I think this is what Nick Saban did when he just started coaching at Alabama. He came and met PC.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

flyerz73

Aug 24, 2017
Well said and a very nice writeup. I even suggest that the new coach should visit three programs (Georgia, Alabama and Ohio State) and talk to their coaches and see their facilities. I think this is what Nick Saban did when he just started coaching at Alabama. He came and met PC.
Interestingly, two of three of the head coaches of those three programs had no previous head coaching experience. I don't think we should be too quick to dismiss any candidates who have not been head coaches. I'd like to see some of our experts dissect how you go about making that kind of a successful hire (e.g., identifying a Kirby Smart).

Reactions: EdtheConquerer17

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Interestingly, two of three of the head coaches of those three programs had no previous head coaching experience. I don't think we should be too quick to dismiss any candidates who have not been head coaches. I'd like to see some of our experts dissect how you go about making that kind of a successful hire (e.g., identifying a Kirby Smart).
They may not have head coach experience but they learned under the best. Which is the key difference here, who did they learn under? and can they replicate it by creating their own brand of top notch football. Being great has to be in their dna and it can't be gimmick.

Blade Runner

Sep 12, 2021
Jim Miller, SiriusXMs' Moving the Chains, reported that the admin has reached out to Anthony Lynn, Detroit Lions OC. Miller also said that alumni had contacted KC OC Eric Bieniemy.

Both candidates were RB in college.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Jim Miller, SiriusXMs' Moving the Chains, reported that the admin has reached out to Anthony Lynn, Detroit Lions OC. Miller also said that alumni had contacted KC OC Eric Bieniemy.

Agents doing their job

Bohn is the one they need to be talking to lol

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

trojan raul

Aug 24, 2017

Yes, I agree...Georgia is not only on the rise but maybe set to take over Bama now and in the future. Their recruiting machine is out of this world and their D and run game are off the charts. Throw in a decent QB and good receivers and you have a premiere program. They are impressive. We should be able to get to that level with a coach who is competitive and has a vision and can execute that vision. Recruiting and coaching them up is the name of the game. You need the horses or forget it. We don't have the horses on our current roster.

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017

Alumni can contact anyone they want but the decision is Mr. Bohn's. The agents throw the names into the hat hoping that a miracle could happen. The program needs a championship-level coach.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, I agree...Georgia is not only on the rise but maybe set to take over Bama now and in the future. Their recruiting machine is out of this world and their D and run game are off the charts. Throw in a decent QB and good receivers and you have a premiere program. They are impressive. We should be able to get to that level with a coach who is competitive and has a vision and can execute that vision. Recruiting and coaching them up is the name of the game. You need the horses or forget it. We don't have the horses on our current roster.
Recruiting trench monsters needs to be the focus for the next couple of seasons and adding quality staff that know how to develop players will solidify this USC program for the future. Because adding talent in skill positions won't be the issue. This program will live or die based on the quality of our LOS.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtownSC

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
WTF? Board arbiter? Hahahahaha. O-tay.

What a tool.

You and your little gang of sissies-boys no longer run the board, sissy. Get used to it.

Lol. Gang of sissies? Maybe we can have some "Sissy Cardinal" shirts made up for us.

YOU were the one who took exception to my description of Helton's talents in conveying spherical sporting goods equipment through gardening implements. My comments weren't racist, sexist, or otherwise insensitive to anyone other than people who love Clay Helton and wanted to keep him around indefinitely.

Like I said, relax bro - if you'd have read the other board, you'd know that I am not part of your imagined gang of sissy bullies.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
Isn't UGA's OL like averaging 350 pounds? Perhaps we need to go get Kirby Smart's OL coach/OC/DC

AtownSC

Sep 8, 2017
UGA always recruited well but their ascent to top 3 classes on the regular has to do with the high quality of GA HS football. One of the few jobs where you can do 90% of your in-person recruiting just driving instead of flying. USC is also well-known for this, the difference being the quality of OL/DL.

Abre_ham

Sep 2, 2021
If the Lane Train beats bama this weekend does he at least deserve a call about the job? I think so

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
The more this season ticks by, the more I think Bill O'Brien has to be the front-runner.

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
If the Lane Train beats bama this weekend does he at least deserve a call about the job? I think so
Man, if Lane got a call he would milk it for everything it's worth on social media. He would troll and embarrass us to no end. The thought of us making that mistake and giving that man the power to further humiliate us is truly frightening. I sure hope we don't have an AD, or major donor/BOT member (acting independently) who is that stupid.