How would fans feel about a Brian Kelly like coaching situation?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

There's a high possibility something similar could happen at USC, apart from the vacated wins.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I guess i'm not sure what the question is? Can you clarify
How would fans react to getting to the playoffs but being beaten? getting to bowl games, but barely winning? how long before the fan base calls for the coaches head, despite winning their conference?...etc

If our next coach has a Brian Kelly like tenure.

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
I hear you and ND has not looked good with the motor running this year. I know it has good players so what’s the problem?

Go Purdue!

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Think the right HC out recruits domers
That should be expected but can whoever USC gets, get past the hump? that's the question.

I hear you and ND has not looked good with the motor running this year. I know it has good players so what’s the problem?

Go Purdue!
Coaching, yet their situation has been better than ours for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
You’ve accurately pegged Brian Kelly. USC fans would recognize and grow tired of that type of song and dance quickly.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
You heard it in his commentary, Bohn’s stated goal - National Championship, not the Pac12 championship, nor the PAC12 South Championship! Nothing less!
Fight On!

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Brian Kelly has won wherever he has been and is one the elite college coaches in the country.
Would love to have him, but it isn't going to happen.

AtownSC

Sep 8, 2017
Dont want that type of results. Not sure if its really Kelly's fault though, I think he's a good HC. ND just doesn't have the elite all-star cast to compete with the 5 star loaded Bama/Clemson teams. Their best QB during this run was Kizer, and best unit was their OL few seasons ago. Other than that, not really much to speak of. I do think that Buchner kid from SD is going to be good.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Brian Kelly will NEVER win a natty at Notre Dame so long as Nick Saban is still at Bama. Every time he has faced Bama he has been blown to smithereens. Make no mistake, he is a superior coach, and he gets top recruiting classes at ND, but his record versus the truly big dogs is not impressive, and he has been blistered by profoundly unhappy Domer fans since the very beginning of his tenure there. Granted, the Domer fan base is preposterously demanding and even more spoiled than USC's. Would I take him over Clay Helton? Is the Pope Catholic? But we are NOW in a position to go after significantly better candidates than Kelly to my thinking.

Futhermore he is close to 60 years old, and has shown conspicuous signs of being worn to a frazzle by the stress of coaching at such a high level. I am not saying he is washed up, but I believe he is a tad past his prime as a top notch college coach, and perhaps even considering retiring before too long, which would make many Domer fans giddy with delight. We would get him on the rebound, and all things considered, he is not in my top twenty as a satifactory replacement for Clay Helton. If he left ND, they would be going after all the same folk Mike Bohn is now considering, and they would offer guys like Luke Fickell and Matt Campbell a more satisfactory destination than we would, those fellows both diehard midwesterners, not necessarily all that anxious to come out to L.A. in the first place, and not necessarilly good fits emotionally out here in La La land as, for example, I think James Franklin would be.

Last edited:

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
I never saw Kelly’s teams as though “they really have a shot at the NC this year”. They are usually good, but at their best I saw them as just short of being able to beat an Alabama or a Clemson to get past that hump to an NC.

I want to win NC’s. I realize no school will win it every year, but I just don’t think Kelly will ever win one.

So no, I don’t want a Brian Kelly like situation. In fact, that’s one of my biggest concerns, having an HC that wins just enough to keep his job over a long period, but never really comes close to winning an NC.

USC1

Aug 24, 2017
Kelly is an arrogant *** who hasn’t won a playoff game. He plays Navy, Army, Airforce And Marine reserves each year that schedule is worse than Pac 12. No Thank You

now that you mentioned his name he had Cinci rolling before Fickel. Fickel and Cinci came close to beating Georgia last year in bowl game. It will be interesting to watch the Cinci v ND game this year. A bigger game for Cinci and Fickel to prove something ND and Kelly trying to protect image

Latest posts