I listened to the UM broadcast at the end of the game…

Find10

Sep 17, 2012
And you have to give David Kellum credit. Once it was over, their color guy said, “you got Mississippi State players down here taunting the Ole Miss student section, that’s one of the dumbest moves I’ve ever seen.”
Kellum shut that down immediately and said, “well that’s part of this thing, that normally happens both sides. So you got some celebrating going on.”Harrison came back with “I would certainly have my helmet on.”

He mentioned Rogers and Kiffin meeting after the game, the players shaking hands and hugging after the game, specifically Heath going over and the State players hugging his neck. Gave credit where it was due, praise to State as a whole especially Charlton’s play at the end.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rivalry is better right now. There will always be hate, but after all these years of thinking we needed Ole Miss to be 'down', I've realized that we are forever tied to them indirectly. May as well embrace it, and have coaches that respect each other. We compete, yes, but we do not need to be tearing at each other. Out-of-state programs will do plenty of that. We made it to #1, and they were #2. They beat us that year if you remember, and we STILL could have made the playoff had we beaten Alabama and lost to Ole Miss. That tells me we need to quit obsessing over them.

Then you have the whole baseball national championship fiasco. We win it, they are right behind us.

Embrace the rivalry, embrace Thanksgiving, all that. The news media is starting to pick up on this, and it's a good thing. But at the end of the day, they aren't going anywhere, and neither are we. I'm not saying to pull for each other, but it seems to be better for both of us when we are good and the Egg Bowl means something and is competitive.

/ducking.......and I know it's contrarian, but, as I get older, this is how I see it. I'll NEVER root for Ole Miss, but nowadays I just don't 'hate' them as much anymore.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And you have to give David Kellum credit. Once it was over, their color guy said, “you got Mississippi State players down here taunting the Ole Miss student section, that’s one of the dumbest moves I’ve ever seen.”
Kellum shut that down immediately and said, “well that’s part of this thing, that normally happens both sides. So you got some celebrating going on.”Harrison came back with “I would certainly have my helmet on.”

He mentioned Rogers and Kiffin meeting after the game, the players shaking hands and hugging after the game, specifically Heath going over and the State players hugging his neck. Gave credit where it was due, praise to State as a whole especially Charlton’s play at the end.
I'm sure their color guy didn't have a problem with the student section giving it to the players all game. Students were relentless **** heels during pregame warmups. There's a reason the team went down there when the game was over....and it was because they wanted to rub their noses in it for all the stuff that had been said during the game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Rivalry is better right now. There will always be hate, but after all these years of thinking we needed Ole Miss to be 'down', I've realized that we are forever tied to them indirectly. May as well embrace it, and have coaches that respect each other. We compete, yes, but we do not need to be tearing at each other. Out-of-state programs will do plenty of that. We made it to #1, and they were #2. They beat us that year if you remember, and we STILL could have made the playoff had we beaten Alabama and lost to Ole Miss. That tells me we need to quit obsessing over them.

Then you have the whole baseball national championship fiasco. We win it, they are right behind us.

Embrace the rivalry, embrace Thanksgiving, all that. The news media is starting to pick up on this, and it's a good thing. But at the end of the day, they aren't going anywhere, and neither are we. I'm not saying to pull for each other, but it seems to be better for both of us when we are good and the Egg Bowl means something and is competitive.

/ducking.......and I know it's contrarian, but, as I get older, this is how I see it. I'll NEVER root for Ole Miss, but nowadays I just don't 'hate' them as much anymore.
Half Baked Boo GIF

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022

The rivalry has been calmer because they have been winning until this year. Once we beat them they go ape ****. You can already see it on Twitter. They will ramp back up the ridiculousness now that they got beat, and then blame us for it being “too toxic”. This has been their playbook for my entire life. They are fine and happy with us as long as we aren’t beating them.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Kellum's an unabashed homer, and good on him for owning it, and it makes us make fun of him for sure, but he is truly a terrific broadcaster, and I can't begrudge someone like him loving his university. The stories I've heard him tell on SportsTalk MS and elsewhere about his relationship with Jack Cristil are great.

(That said, there truly is nothing better to listen to than dejected David Kellum in the trailing moments of an impending soul-crushing loss.)

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The rivalry has been calmer because they have been winning until this year. Once we beat them they go ape ****. You can already see it on Twitter. They will ramp back up the ridiculousness now that they got beat, and then blame us for it being “too toxic”. This has been their playbook for my entire life. They are fine and happy with us as long as we aren’t beating them.
This, and on the field the fact that Matt Luke is no longer with their team.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
with pushing all their chips and money and pride on to the table to compete "at the next level" with NIL and their super successful head football coach, etc, I can understand the venting and fussing when they don't go to the next level and even move down a level losing to their in state rival

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
17 Ole Miss. 17 em right in their pretentious, holier than thou, arrogant, obnoxious, powder blue wearing, chandelier hanging, cold chicken finger eating, red solo cup drinking, daddy's money leased car driving, sacks of monkey **** they are.

Holy ****. Merry Christmas. Pass the Tylenol.
Most of them live among us as middle class Mississippians (or whatever you are). I guarantee you, you will find much more pompous pricks (especially regarding MSU and Mississippi in general) in the states directly to the east, north and northwest of us.

Notice I did not include Louisiana in that. They are a separate being all unto themselves.

At the end of the day I don't care. But I do know if I had to choose between beating Alabama and Ole Miss, I'd choose the former most of the time.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Most of them live among us as middle class Mississippians (or whatever you are). I guarantee you, you will find much more pompous pricks (especially regarding MSU and Mississippi in general) in the states directly to the east, north and northwest of us.

Notice I did not include Louisiana in that. They are a separate being all unto themselves.

At the end of the day I don't care. But I do know if I had to choose between beating Alabama and Ole Miss, I'd choose the former most of the time.
That may be the case, but I have come across some of those middle class Mississippians that are flaming ole miss fans and they are the most arrogant obnoxious ******** you could ever be around. They have their stereotype for a reason. Had a coworker at my old job that grew up an avid ole miss fan. But as she became an adult she started seeing the difference in the fan bases and decided she could no longer associate with that behavior and mindset and became a huge MSU fan and still is to this day. How many MSU fans have you ever met saying this just isn't the type people I want to associate with. I'm changing allegiance to ole miss?

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Kellum's an unabashed homer, and good on him for owning it, and it makes us make fun of him for sure, but he is truly a terrific broadcaster, and I can't begrudge someone like him loving his university. The stories I've heard him tell on SportsTalk MS and elsewhere about his relationship with Jack Cristil are great.

(That said, there truly is nothing better to listen to than dejected David Kellum in the trailing moments of an impending soul-crushing loss.)
I have listened to Kellum while watching the game, and he actually calls a good game. Yep, he is a 100 percent homer. Most announcers are.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I went back and listened to the 4th quarter of the OM broadcast, that was actually the most down the middle I’ve ever heard Kellum call a game. Harry Harrison and Richard Cross were their typical selves, and kinda talked Kellum into some homerism, particularly on the backwards pass play. But I thought Kellum was pretty fair, I was expecting him to be much worse.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sorta OT but Saturday I was driving home from the beach during the noon games. I bounced between games on Sirius xM mainly listening to USCe vs Clemson. Both the USCe and Clemson radio feeds were on and the contrast was obvious. SC has the guy who screamed like a teenager on most every down. You’d think they busted off a 40 yard gain and they would finally announce it was 2nd and 8. The Clemson guy was pretty even keeled, down and distance. He just described the game. Wife even mentioned that she felt like she was listening to Yelling Kellum when I had it on the USCe feed.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Agree about Kellum. He's a little over-enthusiastic, but he seems like a good guy and I think he's a pretty good broadcaster. I've never had an problem with him.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
That may be the case, but I have come across some of those middle class Mississippians that are flaming ole miss fans and they are the most arrogant obnoxious ******** you could ever be around. They have their stereotype for a reason. Had a coworker at my old job that grew up an avid ole miss fan. But as she became an adult she started seeing the difference in the fan bases and decided she could no longer associate with that behavior and mindset and became a huge MSU fan and still is to this day. How many MSU fans have you ever met saying this just isn't the type people I want to associate with. I'm changing allegiance to ole miss?
This sounds much like my life story. My parents were neutral, don't think they really cared about the rivalry. I had an uncle who was an OM fan, and another uncle who went to State and was an avid Bulldog. Early on and up until I was in high school I have to admit that I pulled for OM during their "glory" days under Vaught. But I was young and naive and didn't know any better, until I saw the light and decided that I would much rather spend my college years at State. I am extremely happy with that decision. Of course it's always easier to be happy with it after we beat those 17ers head to head. Over the years since then, my love for State and disdain for OM has gotten stronger each year.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Agree about Kellum. He's a little over-enthusiastic, but he seems like a good guy and I think he's a pretty good broadcaster. I've never had an problem with him.
Yellum is the accurate moniker. Have to put the radio volume on 2 and it's still too much yelling.