I want Fickell! What’s the more likely scenario to get him to SC? Cincy, in, or out?

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
got to thinking (I know it’s a dangerous thing), but what would be the more likely reason for Fickell to come to SC…if an undefeated Cincy team gets left out of the playoffs, or if Cincy gets in and wins it all? At first, I was in the “hope Cincy gets snubbed” group, and that Fickell will get pissed, and realize that he would never get a chance to win it all at a school like Cincy. But after looking at it from the other angle, I think it would be more likely that he comes here if Cincy gets into the playoffs and wins it all. I think he’d realize that the chance to consistently win Natties at Cincy isnt likely. He‘d take his one Natty at Cincy and move onto bigger opportunities. I would hope he’d realize that he needs to go to one of the current top programs, or to a blue blood down in the dumps (SC, Nebraska). He’d be a coach to win a Natty at a lower tier school, and then likely win a few more at SC. Maybe he’d go back to Ohio and win a few more at tOSU (well, I hope if we get him, he’ll stay at SC forever [assuming all goes as planned] till he goes to an NFL job). That’ll leave a legacy. Fight on!

Last edited:

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
Not a chance he leaves Cincy if he wins it all.
I don’t think there’s much chance, if at all, that he wins it all. I don’t think they have the players.

That said, I don’t know if Cincy making the CFP will matter in his decision to turn down or accept an offer from USC. If snubbed, he could see that as being a sign that he won’t make the CFP with Cincy no matter how good they are.

If he makes the CFP and is beaten by a top Power 5 team, he may take that to mean that he just can’t get the elite level players at Cincy to compete with the top schools in the CFP.

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
got to thinking (I know it’s a dangerous thing), but what would be the more likely reason for Fickell to come to SC…if an undefeated Cincy team gets left out of the playoffs, or if Cincy gets in and wins it all? At first, I was in the “hope Cincy gets snubbed” group, and that Fickell will get pissed, and realize that he would never get a chance to win it all at a school like Cincy. But after looking at it from the other angle, I think it would be more likely that he comes here if Cincy gets into the playoffs and wins it all. I think he’d realize that the chance to consistently win Natties at Cincy isnt likely. He‘d take his one Natty at Cincy and move onto bigger opportunities. I would hope he’d realize that he needs to go to one of the current top programs, or to a blue blood down in the dumps (SC, Nebraska). He’d be a coach to win a Natty at a lower tier school, and then likely win a few more at SC. Maybe he’d go back to Ohio and win a few more at tOSU (well, I hope if we get him, he’ll stay at SC forever [assuming all goes as planned] till he goes to an NFL job). That’ll leave a legacy. Fight on!
He has a bunch of seniors on the team and it will be difficult for him to reload like he would with a blue blood program.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t think there’s much chance, if at all, that he wins it all. I don’t think they have the players.

That said, I don’t know if Cincy making the CFP will matter in his decision to turn down or accept an offer from USC. If snubbed, he could see that as being a sign that he won’t make the CFP with Cincy no matter how good they are.

If he makes the CFP and is beaten by a top Power 5 team, he may take that to mean that he just can’t get the elite level players at Cincy to compete with the top schools in the CFP.
End of the day, we can't really know what his mindset is obviously. If he does get to the CFP and beats his match up but gets stomped in the championship round? it could go either way.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
He has a bunch of seniors on the team and it will be difficult for him to reload like he would with a blue blood program.
True but wouldn't it say more if he stays there and is able to do it again or something similar there at Cincy? of course there will be diminishing returns. And once they join the Big 12 the schedule will be more manageable. I guess it comes down to rather or not he'd be comfortable in LA to do his job. The notion will be that he wouldn't be able to restock like how he'd be able to at Power 5 even with a CFP birth and that hype attached to his name would be easier to transfer to a program like USC.

I just hope the Notre Dame job doesn't open up anytime soon. That's my worry, regardless on if he comes to USC.

Last edited:

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018

I think they can compete and win a playoff game bc they have most of his players back from last season who almost beat Georgia last years bowl game. I do hope he will our next coach, I’m all in with Fickell.,

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Cincy is not winning the NC. If they do then he may get an offer from ohio state
You think Ohio State would kick Day to the curb for Fickell? I'd be remiss to say that I doubt Cincy would be able to beat Ohio State but maybe they would and yeah, I don't think Cincy wins the NC. But a birth could be on their radar, the rest of the way for them is easy.

I think they can compete and win a playoff game bc they have most of his players back from last season who almost beat Georgia last years bowl game. I do hope he will our next coach, I’m all in with Fickell.,
Aranda or Fickell for me

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
Exactly. That’s why I think he’d take his Natty at Cincy and jump. Assuming he wins the Natty. This is all conjecture at this point. ✌️

Reactions: Pudly76 and Jay4usc

Ride Fly

Aug 24, 2017
I just hope the Notre Dame job doesn't open up anything soon. That's my worry, regardless on if he comes to USC.
the same response I had to Cyrus re: the tOSU job- ND isn’t firing Brian Kelly any time soon. Now, after a few years, it might happen at both tOSU and ND, but hopefully by then Luke will have gotten us a Natty or two before the Midwest Blue Bloods come calling 😉

SCRingKing

Oct 10, 2021
Fickell has an easy schedule, however, if he can dominate the playoffs, that's saying something.

Trojack

Aug 24, 2017

The first priority is to see if he and his wife (especially) would even be comfortable moving to Southern California. Not everyone is. Nothing in his background or quotes attributed to him say that he would so if we can't get by that little factoid, the rest of the discussion is moot no matter how much money we are willing to throw his way. Perhaps Fickell and Bohn have even had that conversation and Bohn is already looking elsewhere. The one thing I have to give Bohn props for is that there have been absolutely no leaks in the process. The only sports wonks who are talking are people who have absolutely no clue what is going on.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
There are going to be several openings by the time season ends. LSU will be in play, Miami, just to name a few. We will be in completion with these same schools. Hopefully Bohn will have the first mover advantage!
Fight On!

Reactions: LDIABootney

oldrondavis

Sep 6, 2021
That is a long played out scenario. If the coach and luck handles it right 50% of the team are forth or fifth year seniors so see how they do the next year

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Two Words….Jeff Hafley.
He's getting blasted by NC state

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
I just hope the Notre Dame job doesn't open up anything soon. That's my worry, regardless on if he comes to USC.

I’d say, if we couldn’t fire Helton because he was 5-0 during CoVid 2020…..they’re not going to fire Kelly after he just passed Knute Rockne for all-time wins 😅

Kelly also has some history of turning it around after poor seasons, so ND might not be as quick to change coaches as others schools. Let’s hope not.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I’d say, if we couldn’t fire Helton because he was 5-0 during CoVid 2020…..they’re not going to fire Kelly after he just passed Knute Rockne for all-time wins 😅

Kelly also has some history of turning it around after poor seasons, so ND might not be as quick to change coaches as others schools. Let’s hope not.
Kelly needs to stay there...

Alvaro Carrillo

Jan 28, 2018
I really hope Fickell makes it to the CFP. That would raise his profile with recruits. Not to mention transfers. I think Cincinnati would only make it to the playoff once every 5 years. Looks like he is getting lucky that Clemson and possibly Alabama are going to miss out this year.

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
Fickell and Cincinnati are already where USC wants to be.
why would he want to rebuild at USC when he is already there?
USC will not get the guys already up there.
It will most likely be a up and comer from a smaller
program who has shown has the goods but just need better resources.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
We don't know who we will get or not and unless Cincy pulls in a top 5 or 10 recruiting class. All his seniors will be leaving and there will be a drop off.

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Fickell is definitely making a case for himself. I'm also liking Fleck. My biggest concern for Fleck is that he's not from a defense. Defensive coaches seem to bring the anger and toughness. There's always the exception so both are interesting to me.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Fleck has fallen off and his whole slogan would clash heavy with USC traditions. I'm sure trojans don't row boats.

silversprint

Aug 24, 2017
Fickell will leave Cinc at the after this season. There is going to be way too many schools and too much money to ignore. He leaves at a high note with his stock as high as it can be.

Where he ends up is everyone best guess. He will have the pick of multiple offers from several high profile schools.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017

Cincy is not where USC wants to be….yet. USC wants to legitimately contend for NC’s, Cincy has not yet made the CFP. Maybe he will this year if everything lines up, but his chances of winning an NC are still nearly zero.

I would argue that Fickell (if he wants to win NC’s) will never get to where he wants to be at Cincy. He just won’t win an NC there, as he will never have the level of players necessary to get past the top schools.

As you said, he has shown the goods, he just needs better resources. And he just can’t get that at Cincy. He could, however, get that at USC.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Brian Kelly did well at cincy and moved on. Believe his record (33-6) was better than Fickell’s (47-21). Don’t get your point,