I'm not getting the rationale behind the championship game format change

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
The Commish says it's to improve the chances of getting P12 teams in the CFB playoff. How often is a team that can't win it's division in the running for a top 4 in the country spot?

Wouldn't going back to an 8-game conference schedule and taking 6 automatic losses off members records be a better first step?

Reactions: Fyton82 and Pudly76

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
The Commish says it's to improve the chances of getting P12 teams in the CFB playoff. How often is a team that can't win it's division in the running for a top 4 in the country spot?

Wouldn't going back to an 8-game conference schedule and taking 6 automatic losses off members records be a better first step?
It’s for the higher SOS. It makes sure that there is greater interest in the CCG, and that the two BEST teams play. As far as a team not winning it’s division going to the playoffs… check with saban when he’s done crying about fairness..

Reactions: sc/pacx and Fyton82

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
What's the change? No North-South divisions? If it's gone then I'm good with that. I hated that format anyway because it cheapened the championship game. If PacXII is going to a top two best teams play in the CG then that's fine with me.

Globe

Aug 24, 2017
What's the change? No North-South divisions? If it's gone then I'm good with that. I hated that format anyway because it cheapened the championship game. If PacXII is going to a top two best teams play in the CG then that's fine with me.
Two best records go the CCG. Divisions only exist in regards to the scheduling system and will be gone in '23.

SoCalN8tiv

Aug 24, 2017
Two best records go the CCG. Divisions only exist in regards to the scheduling system and will be gone in '23.
Thanks. Another thing I want to see gone is overtime during the regular season. There's nothing wrong about a tie game in the regular season. Overtime should be reserved for championship games and post-season play like the pseudo-playoffs. I wouldn't use overtime for bowl games either unless a bowl game was part of the pseudo-playoffs. IMHO

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
I like the idea. Why shouldn't the second best team in one conference play the CG if they are better than the first place team of the other conference?
Strength of the conferences does come into play and scheduling will have to change if you want to find the true best two teams. You can't schedule just conference play.