IMHO Sunday: Looking for an Oregon State bright side? Trojans fans finally unite

AMLTrojan

Aug 24, 2017
Donte sounds no different than Clay. Really, we were prepared? We knew all about OSU, we weren't surprised, and we had a sound game plan that the players just didn't execute? 🙄

There were 25 teams that lost today, and we're just one of them. OK then. Set your jaw, Donte.

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
mostly agree except for 1 glaring mistake in analysis...slovis is a statue waiting to be toppled with this 'O' line. Dart is a dual threat since he can really run and really pass and does, much harder for defenses to cover. sc offense is no threat to a well coached team with good athletes. sc only has a decent defense, not even a real good one...no tackling,just like the 'o' line no blocking. They were both pushed around on every play.This 6 yr cancer will cost sc 2 more years of this, 'IF' they land a real coach,which it appears they really have not wanted ,and maybe do not want. There is the possibility low attendance and then financial worries could change that. Looks like sc could lose 4 more games...really.

Scyeller

Aug 24, 2017
Donte sounds no different than Clay. Really, we were prepared? We knew all about OSU, we weren't surprised, and we had a sound game plan that the players just didn't execute? 🙄

There were 25 teams that lost today, and we're just one of them. OK then. Set your jaw, Donte.
Fire Clay Helton! Lol
If clay was impressed with this guy that should tell you all you need to know.

BushErvins0532

Sep 7, 2021
Hi greg..I mentioned that on bleacher report. Why don't they look at Jonathan Smith? Watched them play 3 times this year. Their offense is explosive.. Their defense is physical..worst of all, they have quite a few Cali players..

Reactions: GregKatz and SCthe1

deleted_00002

Aug 24, 2017
The real good news is this clearly takes Donte out of the conversation for HC, and allows Bohn to go get an experienced HC that knows how to rebuild a program and staff, and will spend the offseason doing it.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

SCthe1

Aug 24, 2021
Hi greg..I mentioned that on bleacher report. Why don't they look at Jonathan Smith? Watched them play 3 times this year. Their offense is explosive.. Their defense is physical..worst of all, they have quite a few Cali players..
BushErvins and Greg Katz on IMHO- Part 10 -- I do agree with you both that we should look at a quality coach like Jonathan Smith who has built the kind of team we want in an outpost like Corvallis, OR. Jonathan is a local product, a Glendora HS grad and you would think, that like Donte, he would love to be the head coach of his hometown Trojans. In fact a 1-2 punch of Jonathan and Donte is something I can see out there in the future. I think Smith would see the immense value that Donte can bring and make him the secondary coach/assistant head coach/ recruiting coordinator. Just my thoughts

Ridge Rider

Mar 7, 2020
mostly agree except for 1 glaring mistake in analysis...slovis is a statue waiting to be toppled with this 'O' line. Dart is a dual threat since he can really run and really pass and does, much harder for defenses to cover. sc offense is no threat to a well coached team with good athletes.

The offense had nothing to do with the fact it looked like SC was playing only 9-10 players on defense.

Reactions: Yale and AMLTrojan

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
Jonathan Smith is sort of an odd looking dude. But I definitely like the look of the team he is putting out on the field and he has turned that culture around up there pretty quickly.

Maybe he needs to be added to the list...

trojandave

Aug 24, 2017
I couldn’t agree more. Let’s try and detach emotionally from this season. The surgery has been performed. Next comes the therapy and healing.

let’s not bash anyone. The President, the AD, the current interim coach, the group of coaches. The very young online.

let’s just root for our team and get through this wash of a year!!

Reactions: Conquestluvr

trojandave

Aug 24, 2017
don’t blame Folt or Bohn for this season. It was extremely difficult to fire someone with a humongous 5year contract and salary guarantee back in 2019. 2020 was a wash due to the pandemic. The administration just needed an excuse in 2021… and it happened!

Reactions: TrojanHoss

trojandave

Aug 24, 2017
Jonathan Smith considered for the USC head coaching job? Maybe. OSU got beat up by a mediocre Purdue team at the beginning of the season. Then, whom have they played since? Idaho, Hawaii… I’d wait out the rest of the season and maybe give OSU a mulligan for the first game.

Bilbo.usc

Jan 9, 2020
As the old saying goes . Not sure if the light at the of the tunnel is not an on coming train
Not at all confident that those responsible for finding a new head coach will make the best choice
Our head coaching job is no longer a highly thought of position
Going to have to get lucky
Situation is bleak

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
no thanks

Donte has gone with the same Helton starters, the slow CBs and same slow Defensive Line. Now he looks like Clay.
That's a big one if he wants change he can't do half measures.

eliminator207

Aug 24, 2017
Given the way Stanford played us, Washington State played us in the first half of that game with a healthy qb, and the way Oregon State played us, I think some posters on this board will look at the head coach of every team that plays us this year as a viable candidate for us. We may make them all look like coaching gurus.

Reactions: Conquestluvr
Aug 24, 2017
I think we can at least try to identify who could be leaders next year. As I recall, PC had Polamalu and Palmer as leaders and then developed Cody, Patterson, and Grootegoed. Once a critical mass was built, you had a team that made big plays and carried into the following year. Remember USC in 2001 went 1 and 5 for the first 6 games, but you could tell something changed as they were competing in every game. I am going to be looking for potential leaders for next year and root and suggest on this board, who those leaders are. It is all about the leadership at the player, coaches, and directors level. These guys have to align under a philosophy of what USC football is. Once they all buy in and we get a good recruiting year, things can change fast!

Renegade

Sep 1, 2021
don’t blame Folt or Bohn for this season. It was extremely difficult to fire someone with a humongous 5year contract and salary guarantee back in 2019. 2020 was a wash due to the pandemic. The administration just needed an excuse in 2021… and it happened!
Trojan Dave, I respectfully disagree. Folt and Bohn are also culpable for allowing Helton and this staff to represent the USC brand. There is a glaring lack of accountability on this team and that starts at the top. When Bohn didn't pull the trigger in 2019 he should have made it very clear that the culture needed to change immediately. Let's be brutally honest, last year's regular season could have easily been 3-2. Then to shy away from a bowl game? A total embarrassment and not what the USC brand has historically represented.

• Love
Reactions: big_pete

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
The offense had nothing to do with the fact it looked like SC was playing only 9-10 players on defense.
BUT a good offense keeps our defense off the field, and scores points with a q/b like Dart...the current defense is worse than the offense,or at least the strategy is not working

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
Trojan Dave, I respectfully disagree. Folt and Bohn are also culpable for allowing Helton and this staff to represent the USC brand. There is a glaring lack of accountability on this team and that starts at the top. When Bohn didn't pull the trigger in 2019 he should have made it very clear that the culture needed to change immediately. Let's be brutally honest, last year's regular season could have easily been 3-2. Then to shy away from a bowl game? A total embarrassment and not what the USC brand has historically represented.
Thank You!!!!

Latest posts