IMHO Sunday: The decision maker (On3+)

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Great read! I love your excerpt from Klatt and he has valid points pertaining to Bohn. We are SC, so there is no room for do overs. He cannot hire and fire like he did at Colorado. This is going to be a high profile and costly hire. Equate it to the recent Sark hire where Texas boosters unloaded the Brinks truck.
I actually like his thought process realistic or unrealistic. There are going to be college coaching openings, LSU, Miami, Nebraska all fighting for the same coaches. Start with a wish list as the worst they can say is No. Maybe one bites. I also like his thought process of going out and exploring NFL coaches and assistants. Recruiting can be much easier if you can just consistently win, consistently compete for national championships, and have boosters that can provide lucrative NIL deals to players. It is much easier now then the NFL grind. Look to young proven assistants. I like the Joe Brady recommendation rather then the college retread list that is repeated year after year.
Then there is the safe hire based on past relationships. But will Fickell come? This is the same thing Tennessee did with Josh Huepel and Danny White and it is paying off big time. Josh gave Lame all he could handle last night and he was lucky to come out of there with a win and some added golf balls to boot!
Either way we are not Colorado so Bohn and Sosna better get this right as we cannot afford to go through this again with a bad hire. The spotlight is definitely going to be on him when he announces the next head coach!
Fight On!

SC93er

Aug 24, 2017
The takeaway from Klatt's list is that he should never be in charge of a coaching hire. How do you question someone else's judgment and then put that list together? Sure the "Tier 1" guys are great, but their not realistic. The "Tier 2" is just a joke and should be grounds for a demotion from lead analyst.
I totally agree. Deion Sanders?? Is Klatt trying to completely destroy the USC program for all time?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Klatt should never put a coaching list together ever again

Either way we are not Colorado so Bohn and Sosna better get this right as we cannot afford to go through this again with a bad hire. The spotlight is definitely going to be on him when he announces the next head coach!
Fight On!
Sosna had nothing to do with Colorado and their situation was coaches turning them down, while alumnus and boosters wanted certain individuals and the buffs aren't known for putting up the cash. Similar to USC.

usc88

Aug 24, 2017
Mike Bohn is an experienced AD.
Bohn has been through the mill and knows what it takes.
USC has a qualified guy at the helm.
Mike realizes that this is the biggest decision of his USC career.
Hopefully he has the support of upper management and boosters.
It will be a team effort.

Garfield28

Nov 20, 2019
At the time hiring Hawkins was probably seen as a great move. It just didn't work out. Also, AD could only do so much if the budget is limited or some other factors are in the way. It looks like we might have issues of not putting up proper pile of cash and school President in the way. I just don't see the numbers work for Franklyn. By now it seems like if we were aggressively going after Stoops or Pererson we would have announced the hire. At the same time I dealt with USC business wise and things move very very slow. Then comes December and we get Peterson or Stoops. Luke would be a great choice, but all of us can understand the family complexity.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Sorry, but Joel Klatt has never had an objective mind when it comes to SC. Not to mention that he is not the most informed individual when it comes to college football in general.

Lady4SC

Aug 15, 2018
Biggest decision of his USC career, how about his life.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Great read! I love your excerpt from Klatt and he has valid points pertaining to Bohn. We are SC, so there is no room for do overs. He cannot hire and fire like he did at Colorado. This is going to be a high profile and costly hire. Equate it to the recent Sark hire where Texas boosters unloaded the Brinks truck.
I actually like his thought process realistic or unrealistic. There are going to be college coaching openings, LSU, Miami, Nebraska all fighting for the same coaches. Start with a wish list as the worst they can say is No. Maybe one bites. I also like his thought process of going out and exploring NFL coaches and assistants. Recruiting can be much easier if you can just consistently win, consistently compete for national championships, and have boosters that can provide lucrative NIL deals to players. It is much easier now then the NFL grind. Look to young proven assistants. I like the Joe Brady recommendation rather then the college retread list that is repeated year after year.
Then there is the safe hire based on past relationships. But will Fickell come? This is the same thing Tennessee did with Josh Huepel and Danny White and it is paying off big time. Josh gave Lame all he could handle last night and he was lucky to come out of there with a win and some added golf balls to boot!
Fight On!
Of course the spotlight is going to be on Bohn. Joe Brady has not been a head coach and would have to say that the Panthers offense is not lighting up the NFL world yet. Some NFL candidates have been college coaches, so you're right there. Wouldn't go too far listening to Klatt.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I totally agree. Deion Sanders?? Is Klatt trying to completely destroy the USC program for all time?

Short answer: "Yes!"

Other than sharing his personal view of Bohn at Colorado, his arguments are superficial, lazy and sound vindictive.

Add to that, the names he suggests for the USC gig are mostly poor ones that would only help to validate Klitt's already low opinion of Bohn.

Troy Dad 2016

Aug 30, 2021
Klatt should have pointed out that you can’t compare Colorado and USC. At Colorado, Bohn targeted coaches who did well at a lower level. At USC, he has available a far more accomplished pool of candidates. For instance, would Dave Aranda leave Baylor or Colorado? Doubtful. Would he leave Baylor for USC? In a heartbeat.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Klatt should never put a coaching list together ever again

Sosna had nothing to do with Colorado and their situation was coaches turning them down, while alumnus and boosters wanted certain individuals and the buffs aren't known for putting up the cash. Similar to USC.
I never said that Sosna had anything to do with Bohn’s coaching choices at Colorado and I hope he can guide Bohn in this coaching hire. To my original post it is different thinking. While I don’t see many coaches like Deion being a good fit, I like his thoughts on Dabo. Clemson is truly having a bad year. I watched portions of the Syracuse game and he really looked frustrated. Sometimes you catch a good coach when they are just looking for a change of scenery. There is that probability that he will say no, but you don’t ask you will never know.
Today ESPN is saying Orgeron has agreed to step down at the end of the season. Obviously we will be competing with the likes of LSU, maybe Miami and Nebraska. They are going to be looking in the same coaching pool that we are looking at. He is just stating for Bohn to look at all opportunities and I agree. I also like his thoughts of having a coach with some NFL experience. Yes Brady isn’t lighting up Carolina like McVay, but he is resurrecting his career. He did great with Burrows at LSU. You make do with what you got. Carolina has a crappy Oline, but he is trying to win games with what he has in player personnel. Does that sound like a familiar situation with our Oline?
Obviously the best choice is Fickell and I would be elated with that choice, but in the event he decides to stay then what. What if he chooses to take the LSU job. We need to realize that we don’t hold all the cards nor do we have a set hand. We are talking about an extensive overhaul both defensively and offensively. That is why we also have to look at all options.
Fight On!

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Klatt should have pointed out that you can’t compare Colorado and USC. At Colorado, Bohn targeted coaches who did well at a lower level. At USC, he has available a far more accomplished pool of candidates. For instance, would Dave Aranda leave Baylor or Colorado? Doubtful. Would he leave Baylor for USC? In a heartbeat.
Well then let's get Aranda!

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
Agree with posters above questioning Klatt's judgment on some points and also Neon Deion as a suitable candidate. I saw Klatt's actual interview on Cowherd's show weeks ago shortly after Gomer was fired and also perceived an element of vindictiveness in his assessment of Bohn's football hires at CU. I do agree though with Klatt that USC has to swing for the fences on this hire and there's absolutely A LOT at stake here. That said, his commentary was inconsistent when trying to square his "Just Say No" list to the necessity of a candidate having DNA from the No Fun League. Since when do Dabo, Lincoln Riley and BK have NFL DNA?? One or 2 of them might have interviewed for an NFL gig but merely as a ploy to extract more greenbacks from their current employer.

And no way Deion would be a good choice. The only thing he can share with Saban is an appearance in an AFLAC commercial.

If USC gets stomped by BYU at end of season, I think Aranda's stock goes waaaay up just by virtue of yesterday's dominating victory. And if Aranda's hire ever came to pass (we can always hope!), I'd bet the farm one of his first To Do's would be to scrap Graham and the Fake AR offense.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
It looks like we might have issues of not putting up proper pile of cash and school President in the way
I don't if they weren't willing then Helton would still be here with his 15 million buyout.

If USC gets stomped by BYU at end of season, I think Aranda's stock goes waaaay up just by virtue of yesterday's dominating victory. And if Aranda's hire ever came to pass (we can always hope!), I'd bet the farm one of his first To Do's would be to scrap Graham and the Fake AR offense.
Jeff Grimes would come in and nuke that garbage, just by walking into that qb room. Seeing miller moss, jaxon dart, and devin brown on the roster. He gets to coach Dart after he picked USC over BYU, once Grimes left to go to Baylor. A sort of reunion.

"Who's ready to learn a real offense?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Maranello

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Klatt knows the college game about as well as anyone. But looking at his list of coaches to contact, and who is not on the list, It appears he consulted Scott Wolf and Petros to develop a list that is destined to fail, which I am sure would suit Klatt just fine.
Deon Sanders? Joe Brady? Cristobal? Jeff Hafley?
But if you are Luck Fickell, Dave Aranda, James Franklin, Jonathan Smith, Matt Campbell, etc, you need not apply.

TheGhostOfPeteCarroll

Nov 18, 2018
There are no guarantees with any coaching hire but I’m confident that Bohn will hire an experienced coach who is high respected and knows how to run a program. After that, they have to get it done on the field.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

The Great One

Sep 1, 2021
Bohn and Sosna know that they have the opporunty of a lifetime that not very many people get the chance to do.

Making a right hire here will enshrine their names in the Trojan lores, HH, and AD Hall of Fame.

I am certain they will take their time and all the necessary measures to try to make this one right.

I've stopped listening and reading to all the media talking heads because they don't know anything, some of them have agenda, and more importantly, they are just noises, not signal.

We've seen Bohn and Sosna's body of work and how they have operated. From their body of work, it gives me the confidence that they are trying to build and restore USC football to the place it belongs. From how they operate, it gives me the confidence to know that all the people outside of the few in their inner circle do not know anything with USC HC recruiting.

If anyone is looking to hire a sports agent, please get the number from James Franklin. His agent is definitely milking anything and everything to get Franklin a bump in salary.

Klatt's list in interesting. But we all know that it is just for shock value and creating more frenzy amongst the fervor of HC carousel in the middle of this quite interesting CFB season.

Off topic - This is one of the most fun and entertaining CFB season in a long while since Saban's arrival at Bama. There is no clear, runaway winner in the CFB landscape currently and every team is capable of upset the higher ranked ones. Cincy at #2 and all the SEC teams beating up each other, I am looking forward to a wild finish.

ILOVEFOOTBALL

Aug 30, 2021
There are no guarantees with any coaching hire but I’m confident that Bohn will hire an experienced coach who is high respected and knows how to run a program. After that, they have to get it done on the field.
My prediction is we will be underwhelmed. Mike allowed this season to happen. This was predictable.

Reactions: Yale

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
maybe an NFL super defense coach to build that SC defense for real, and that coach would know who the best offensive coordinator to hire,'cause he has to coach against him, and keep SC best recruiter...or just go get ARANDA...he would bring his Baylor staff,and keep whomever he likes on current SC staff...dominanting defense and a good dual threat q/b will bring back victories...current Baylor team is using balanced attack,and good blocking and tackling.

Reactions: usc88

Latest posts