Interesting and Informative NIL Conversation

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Kristi Dosh is Forbes Magazine Sports Business reporter. The other day she was on with Hugh Douglas and John Fricke, who do the morning show on 92.9 The Game, here in Atlanta. It’s a bit Georgia centric, but still very interesting IMO

The interview starts at :40 seconds

Last edited:

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
How does Stetson Bennett “risk NIL value by returning to play at UGA”…..what value does he have otherwise?

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
How does Stetson Bennett “risk NIL value by returning to play at UGA”…..what value does he have otherwise?
If he doesn't get the starting job, or he does but loses it again, then who wants to pay him anything? At this point he looks like the hometown hero.

There are a lot of UGA fans that are not happy hes returning. So at this point he'd better deliver or his value really will be negated.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
If he doesn't get the starting job, or he does but loses it again, then who wants to pay him anything? At this point he looks like the hometown hero.

There are a lot of UGA fans that are not happy hes returning. So at this point he'd better deliver or his value really will be negated.
I really don’t think Bennett is all that concerned with his NIL. He’ll make a million or more before he sets foots on the field again, and both of his parents, own a bunch of pharmacies. He was never going to have money problems whether he went to college or not. I think this is more about him wanting to be the Bulldogs QB, for one more season. To play football, one more season.

Buck Belue is the last QB to lead the Dawgs to a National Title. He did it by making a 17yard pass that Lindsey Scott turned into a 92 yard TD against Florida that saved their perfect season, and handing the ball off to a Freshman named Herschel Walker. Buck is a good dude, but without that play to Scott, he’s just another ex UGA QB. Instead, he’s been able to turn that play into a 30 year career in the media with an estimated net worth of $20 million.

Bennett did 1000% more this last season than Buck Belue did in 1980. He made a lot of big plays, including being the Bulldog with the most 20 yard runs. He’s set up for life, whether he ever takes another snap, with, or without a single penny of NIL$$

Last edited:
Reactions: heyrev

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I really don’t think Bennett is all that concerned with his NIL. He’ll make a million or more before he sets foots on the field again, and both of his parents, own a bunch of pharmacies. He was never going to have money problems whether he went to college or not. I think this is more about him wanting to be the Bulldogs QB, for one more season. To play football, one more season.

Buck Belue is the last QB to lead the Dawgs to a National Title. He did it by making a 17yard pass that Lindsey Scott turned into a 92 yard TD against Florida that saved their perfect season, and handing the ball off to a Freshman named Herschel Walker. Buck is a good dude, but without that play to Scott, he’s just another ex UGA QB. Instead, he’s been able to turn that play into a 30 year career in the media with an estimated net worth of $20 million.

Bennett did 1000% more this last season than Buck Belue did in 1980. He made a lot of big plays, including being the Bulldog with the most 20 yard runs. He’s set up for life, whether he ever takes another snap, with, or without a single penny of NIL$$
I agree with everything you said. I was just answering the question about why he could potentially damage his NIL by returning.

Bennett has made it clear that all he wants to do next year is play football and he knows it won't be in the NFL. And he doesn't want to play for another school.

I mean you're in the area. You had to have heard some of the grumbling from people who were hoping he would just go away. It's kind of a sad situation. But good for him for returning and I really think he'll get pushed by Vandagriff.

On a non-related note, I'm really hoping Terrence Edwards gets a shot to replace Hankton.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I agree with everything you said. I was just answering the question about why he could potentially damage his NIL by returning.

Bennett has made it clear that all he wants to do next year is play football and he knows it won't be in the NFL. And he doesn't want to play for another school.

I mean you're in the area. You had to have heard some of the grumbling from people who were hoping he would just go away. It's kind of a sad situation. But good for him for returning and I really think he'll get pushed by Vandagriff.

On a non-related note, I'm really hoping Terrence Edwards gets a shot to replace Hankton.
I didn’t even realize Hankton had left, which is why I told Hector that you know a lot more about the current UGA team than I do.

Does Terrence have previous coaching experience?

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018

Fame is fleeting. He will be the flavor of the day for the time being. He will always get recognition for winning the NC. I do not see him having much of a career after he leaves Georgia at the best as a back up. If he comes back and does not perform then it is hard to say what will happen.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t even realize Hankton had left, which is why I told Hector that you know a lot more about the current UGA team than I do.

Does Terrence have previous coaching experience?
Hankton left for LSU. But he is from Louisiana so for him hes not only going home but he got a nice raise to do it.

He's currently the wide receiver coach at Pace Academy in Atlanta. I think he also does a lot of private coaching on the side. Jermaine Burton is someone he worked with. But nothing in college. Hines Ward has been mentioned too. Neither seems to have a legit shot though.
Fame is fleeting. He will be the flavor of the day for the time being. He will always get recognition for winning the NC. I do not see him having much of a career after he leaves Georgia at the best as a back up. If he comes back and does not perform then it is hard to say what will happen.
He will never have to pay for a meal or a drink in the state of Georgia. His fame there has been sealed.

He said he wants to go to law school after he's done next season.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
What will happen is he will be a Georgia legend for the rest of his life. Only Herschel Walker will be more beloved. I don’t think you quite understand how much this meant to UGA fans and alumni. It absolutely doesn’t matter what happens next year. His fame is not fleeting. It’s forever. Like I said, he doesn’t need any of this and he will be fine.

Reactions: uscvball

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Hankton left for LSU. But he is from Louisiana so for him hes not only going home but he got a nice raise to do it.

He's currently the wide receiver coach at Pace Academy in Atlanta. I think he also does a lot of private coaching on the side. Jermaine Burton is someone he worked with. But nothing in college. Hines Ward has been mentioned too. Neither seems to have a legit shot though.
They’ll probably hire from within. Lot’s of support staff guys they could move up. Or, they’ll wait until all the NFL staff shake ups and hire one of them.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
What will happen is he will be a Georgia legend for the rest of his life. Only Herschel Walker will be more beloved. I don’t think you quite understand how much this meant to UGA fans and alumni. It absolutely doesn’t matter what happens next year. His fame is not fleeting. It’s forever. Like I said, he doesn’t need any of this and he will be fine.
I do not know much about Georgia. So I will defer to you. I guess I do not see him making an impact in the NFL. But who knows. This guy is an over achiever. He may surprise a few people. I was very happy for GA and him beating Bama.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
They’ll probably hire from within. Lot’s of support staff guys they could move up. Or, they’ll wait until all the NFL staff shake ups and hire one of them.
From a financial point of view I believe he is set. As an NFL QB not so sure. But who knows?

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
From a financial point of view I believe he is set. As an NFL QB not so sure. But who knows?

I was responding to Veebs, talking about Terrence Edwards possibly getting hired as UGA’s WR coach, not Stetson Bennett.

As for Bennett, I don’t think he is planning on an NFL career, but at this point, I don’t put anything past him. I’m sure he will get an NFL look, if nothing else, as an Undrafted Free Agent, depending on how he does next season. He made a lot of improvement between this year and last, and showed a lot of heart in the 4 th quarter of that Bama game. A lot of kids would have folded up after that fumble, but he came back and threw two TD’s.

Remember, Baker Mayfield started out as a Walk on too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacadetoro

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
I was responding to Veebs, talking about Terrence Edwards possibly getting hired as UGA’s WR coach, not Stetson Bennett.

As for Bennett, I don’t think he is planning on an NFL career, but at this point, I don’t put anything past him. I’m sure he will get an NFL look, if nothing else, as an Undrafted Free Agent, depending on how he does next season. He made a lot of improvement between this year and last, and showed a lot of heart in the 4 th quarter of that Bama game. A lot of kids would have folded up after that fumble, but he came back and threw two TD’s.

Remember, Baker Mayfield started out as a Walk on too.
Who knows what will happen with this guy. Maybe we will see another Kurt Warner...

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Who knows what will happen with this guy. Maybe we will see another Kurt Warner...
Nah, he doesn’t have that kind of arm. Warner had a bazooka. But there have been plenty of guys who had his size and arm who made teams. Even third string QBs in the NFL have good gigs

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Nah, he doesn’t have that kind of arm. Warner had a bazooka. But there have been plenty of guys who had his size and arm who made teams. Even third string QBs in the NFL have good gigs
Best position in football is the backup guy running around with the clip board.:)

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Obviously another year could change his perspective but he said the NFL isn't in his future, that he wants to go to law school. He did make the point that sometimes, it's tough for a player to know what they want because they don't get to do internships/jobs like regular students do.

For him, I really think his size is too limiting. He's listed as 5'11".....he ain't that. I agree with you though, he's definitely improved from last year.