It took 16.5 years to hit rock bottom, but they finally made it

TrojanTW

Apr 5, 2018
the rock wrestling GIF by WWE

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
NO DOUBT...

When a co-worker asked me how I felt goin into the Natty vs Texass; I replied: "I'm nervous, Very Nervous" He asked why??
I said a couple of reasons, 1. it had been a good while since anyone had really smacked SC in the mouth. (Sorry Notre LAME) you didn't count. 2, the Abscence of OC Norm Chow. He dialed up a clinic against OU in Miami and no doubt Texas will wanna turn this into a street fight in a phone booth. (They Did and we didn't respond) Point in case on that, as the 1st half came to a close Texas had really begun to poor it on against the offense and had been pounding Matty. He got up from one sack an it looked like his eyes were about to roll back in his head. If the half had had another minute he would have been knocked out. Literally.

I loved the Pete Carroll era! Who didn't?! How could you not love the fact that SC were the Feared again? How could you not love the fact that teams were beaten before the game even started Because of the Monster Pete had created and willingly unleashed each week!

Then he (Pete) got a lil too full of himself and negated the huge contribution OC Chow put into the mix. All he had to do was PAY THE MAN!!! He didn't and we lost a game (Natty) that shouldn't & most likely Wouldn't have if Norm had been in the booth that night. Yes, Reggie's "stunt" when he fumbled tryin to latteral after a huge run didn't help. It killed the momentum we had developed. It kep them in the game right as we were about to run them outta the stadium much as we had OU in Miami. That loss started the skid into oblivion that we find ourselves mired in now...

Sadly, I have no idea when we awaken from the nightmare... Sadly, I have no idea who we bring in too heal the patient...

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Pooh Bah

Sep 7, 2021
Fingers crossed we've hit rock bottom. Let's hope we don't lose our high-end recruits and lose more talent to the portal.

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Eerily similar to the clusterfuck that was Hackett's last season, 2000.
Filled with embarrassing , head scratching defeats.

sc85sis

Aug 24, 2017
NO DOUBT...

When a co-worker asked me how I felt goin into the Natty vs Texass; I replied: "I'm nervous, Very Nervous" He asked why??
I said a couple of reasons, 1. it had been a good while since anyone had really smacked SC in the mouth. (Sorry Notre LAME) you didn't count. 2, the Abscence of OC Norm Chow. He dialed up a clinic against OU in Miami and no doubt Texas will wanna turn this into a street fight in a phone booth. (They Did and we didn't respond) Point in case on that, as the 1st half came to a close Texas had really begun to poor it on against the offense and had been pounding Matty. He got up from one sack an it looked like his eyes were about to roll back in his head. If the half had had another minute he would have been knocked out. Literally.

I loved the Pete Carroll era! Who didn't?! How could you not love the fact that SC were the Feared again? How could you not love the fact that teams were beaten before the game even started Because of the Monster Pete had created and willingly unleashed each week!

Then he (Pete) got a lil too full of himself and negated the huge contribution OC Chow put into the mix. All he had to do was PAY THE MAN!!! He didn't and we lost a game (Natty) that shouldn't & most likely Wouldn't have if Norm had been in the booth that night. Yes, Reggie's "stunt" when he fumbled tryin to latteral after a huge run didn't help. It killed the momentum we had developed. It kep them in the game right as we were about to run them outta the stadium much as we had OU in Miami. That loss started the skid into oblivion that we find ourselves mired in now...

Sadly, I have no idea when we awaken from the nightmare... Sadly, I have no idea who we bring in too heal the patient...
Money wasn’t the reason Chow left. And though we can debate whether Pete should have prioritized Sarkiffian over Chow, Norm was not some totally innocent angel in all of that either.

At any rate, that’s not the reason for where USC finds itself today.

tjfan001

Aug 24, 2017
Pete Carroll started taking down his own empire by pushing away Norm Chow. Even though Chow's character may have been partially responsible, Pete was the emperor and his ego pretty much played the major part of Chow's departure. The Texas game finally showed it. USC never returned to the NC games since then.

However, the idiotic decisions on the new coaches after PC were the reasons that we are at the rock bottom right now. Kiffin, Sark, and Claydo combined to send us to the bottomless abyss as of today.

A good coach, if we can find it, can turn the tide sooner than we can imagine. We're pretty much at the same situation as the end of the Paul Hackett era. It took only 1 full season for PC to turn around.

However, the big if is, we find the right coach. Many potentially "supposedly great coaches" didn't end up what they were expected: Kelly among one of them; Chris Peterson, Jim Harbaugh, you name it. It's hard!!

Aug 24, 2017
Since I see many again with the revisionist history over the Apostle Pete. Reminder...Pete was a total luck hire. By no means was he a "first choice", in demand, hot property.

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
Since I see many again with the revisionist history over the Apostle Pete. Reminder...Pete was a total luck hire. By no means was he a "first choice", in demand, hot property.
I see it completely different. To me, PC was an excellent hire. Garrett was wise enough to look beyond the resume, which was pretty impressive on its face, and see the potential. PC had a vision for the culture, the energy and enthusiasm to actualize it, and an infectious personality to recruit. Great insight by MG! The luck was Mike Riley being hired by the Chargers, not in hiring a dynamo poised, rested, and ready to succeed.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

USC1994

Aug 24, 2017
Here is where it started and has been a pathetic run since...

The end of the great run ... imagine the 2005 offense with Chow. Texas would had been a scrimmage like OU year before. The first half play calling was awful that game and of course leaving Reggie on the sidelines the final 4 plays. SC may have had 1 maybe two games up to 2009. The 2008 team would had been Pete’s greatest ever.
The make Kiffin and Suckisian ‘heroes’ plan destroyed USC football for over a decade. Still haunting us. Bohn has a chance to make it right ... finally.

USC1994

Aug 24, 2017
I see it completely different. To me, PC was an excellent hire. Garrett was wise enough to look beyond the resume, which was pretty impressive on its face, and see the potential. PC had a vision for the culture, the energy and enthusiasm to actualize it, and an infectious personality to recruit. Great insight by MG! The luck was Mike Riley being hired by the Chargers, not in hiring a dynamo poised, rested, and ready to succeed.
Riley could get out of his contract and Daryl Gross pushed Garrett to Pete. Garrett would had never interviewed him without Gross.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I am sorry but 2005-2008 seasons were great, especially 2008 and were not part of our slide to rock bottom.

Latest posts