Jaxson Dart is "day-to-day" with injury, and other notes from Donte Williams

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
“When those guys that got penalties ran and did up-downs at the end of practice, so did I,” Williams said. “We’re all in this together. I did my up-downs and ran with the rest of them.”

It's the little things like this that players will come to understand that their are consequences, not just for them but even for those that coach them. It's quite telling that nothing like this was implemented under Hugs but that's par for the course.

“When you watch the film, it was always one guy kind of off,” Williams said. “It’s Cover 2 and the corner’s too deep, a guy getting off a block and takes a bad angle, it’s Cover 2 and a linebacker doesn’t drop into the fit. Just little things. And credit to Washington State, the quarterback was finding the holes every time.”
I don't know if Bruce caught this or not. But I did see a lot of spacing and huge gaps that their QB just picked apart. The secondary needs to get on their marks and get into their fits more consistently. Can't have assignment mental lapses like that against better teams. Or next time it won't just be 14 points scored on them.

Last edited:

Trojan Forever

Sep 7, 2017

Torch901

Sep 6, 2020
I don't know if Bruce caught this or not. But I did see a lot of spacing and huge gaps that their QB just picked apart. The secondary needs to get on their marks and get into their fits more consistently. Can't have assignment mental lapses like that against better teams. Or next time it won't just be 14 points scored on them.
I saw huge gaps on the D-line too, so big you could drive a truck through them.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Interest, too, was that when Jaxson came on set, the video was switched off.

Patrickfig

Jan 25, 2019
Anyone think it‘s a bluff to have Oregon St prepare for 3 QB’s? No way Dart could have played a whole game if he knee was that bad on Saturday. He even said after the game that it was nothing serious

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
Anyone think it‘s a bluff to have Oregon St prepare for 3 QB’s? No way Dart could have played a whole game if he knee was that bad on Saturday. He even said after the game that it was nothing serious
It's possible, but with a true freshman QB practice reps are more valuable than mind games against an opponent like OSU.

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
He (Dart) does not wear knee pads?
I thought CFB was tighter on uniform rules?

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Whether Dart is sandbagging and will be available for Sat., one thing is for certain, he can no longer take off running like a madman and try to purposely bang into defenders. That kind of HS stuff is a quick way to end your season. All that whooping/screaming/exuberance is expected from a Fr. starting his first game, trying to change the mood, but there needs to be a sustaining attitude and strategy that doesn't get Dart killed.

Socrates

Aug 29, 2021
Whether Dart is sandbagging and will be available for Sat., one thing is for certain, he can no longer take off running like a madman and try to purposely bang into defenders. That kind of HS stuff is a quick way to end your season. All that whooping/screaming/exuberance is expected from a Fr. starting his first game, trying to change the mood, but there needs to be a sustaining attitude and strategy that doesn't get Dart killed.
Unless you are a 38 y/o John Elway in the Super Bowl, not a bad idea to slide or go out of bounds. Linebackers and safeties love to knock a QB out of the game. I'm sure Dart will be coached not to take those risks.

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t think JDis that type of person. Nor do I think coach would allow that kind of rubbish

Refhater

Aug 29, 2017
HIs knee came straight down hard on the hard turf field. Even with pads, a bruised knee cap is easily seen in that impact. Nothing structural, just a bone bruise is my guess.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
I don’t think JDis that type of person. Nor do I think coach would allow that kind of rubbish
In one of his first runs, he runs up the middle and when the DB comes up for the tackle, Dart lunges toward the defender and bangs shoulders. That stuff works in HS, in college that gets you a separated shoulder. Evade the contact, don't purposely engage it.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Unless you are a 38 y/o John Elway in the Super Bowl, not a bad idea to slide or go out of bounds. Linebackers and safeties love to knock a QB out of the game. I'm sure Dart will be coached not to take those risks.
Biggest diff in CFB/NFL besides the size/strength of the players, is the ability to "finish off" an offensive player. These defenders know how to come from behind, anticipate where you'll land and make sure they put their weight on you as they tackle. And heaven forbid one defender stand you up for a tackle, while the Safety tees off on you (legal of course). This ain't HS, dudes know how to hit.

It's rarely the guy you see that injures you, it's that trailing 250lbs guy that's timing the hit you didn't see that finishes the job.

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
Yes he does, but have you seen how a LOT of players are wearing their pants now? The "knee pads" are above their knees because their pants are so short. (look at the Drakes; they are practically wearing shorts).

• Wow
Reactions: Rodgarnay51

ErikMcKinney

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Apr 17, 2018
Everybody involved kind of shrugged off Nick Figueroa's shoulder injury after the San Jose State game. He played half the Stanford game and missed the entire Washington State game.

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
just awesome...

Accountability

Monday marked the first time Williams could enforce post-game accountability in practice. He said all players who committed penalties had to stay after practice. Every yard in penalties earned players 10 yards of sprints and up-downs. Williams, by virtue of the delay of game, joined the players.

“When those guys that got penalties ran and did up-downs at the end of practice, so did I,” Williams said. “We’re all in this together. I did my up-downs and ran with the rest of them.”

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
Thought I saw his knee hit a helmet…
Yep, the 2nd tackler's helmet nicked his knee, thank God not a direct hit or Dart would have had a more serious injury. J.Dart immediately grabbed his knee, stayed down, his teammates came rushing over to help him up. After that hit, Jaxson had a noticeable limp thru out the game, but God Bless he kept playing hard, even ran again. We got a tough Hombre at QB...

My take, it's OK for QB's to run, but be smart and slide and most of all do not take on, challenge defenders or fight for extra yards. Jaxson ran a lot in HS, he must learn that college players are much bigger and faster. Sam Darnold was smart at running the ball, he knew when to slide, but dang he did have slippery hands (fumbled a lot)...

Last edited:

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
I don't think it is that uncommon to finish a game on adrenaline (or something stronger) and then have trainers/doctors look at it later and recommend some rest. It might have swollen up considerably over night.

Yeah, you're always sore the next day. In HS, Saturday mornings, it was tough getting out of bed, I was very sore and stiff. For the weekend, popping aspirins every 6 to 8 hours, drinking lots of water, soaking in a hot tub with Epson salt (now it's ice baths), sleep/rest did the trick. Monday's practice was always light, but I was still a little sore. By Tuesday's hard practice I was good to go. Young bodies can recoup pretty nicely.

I'm sure the coaches will give Jaxson, London, Slovis time to rest, 2 days off on Monday & Tuesday practice and prescribe non inflammatory meds. The trainers will take good care of them.

Last edited:

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Yep, the 2nd tackler's helmet nicked his knee, thank God not a direct hit or Dart would have had a more serious injury. J.Dart immediately grabbed his knee, stayed down, his teammates came rushing over to help him up. After, that hit, Jaxson had a noticeable limp thru out the game, but God Bless he kept playing hard, even ran again. We got a tough Hombre at QB...

My take, it's OK for QB's to run, but be smart and slide and most of all do not take on, challenge defenders or fight for extra yards. Jaxson ran a lot in HS, he must learn that college players are much bigger and faster. Sam Darnold was smart at running the ball, he knew when to slide, but dang he did have slippery hands (fumbled a lot)...
He would refuse to tuck lol that's why.

Refhater

Aug 29, 2017
Yeah, you're always sore the next day. In HS, Saturday mornings, it was tough getting out of bed, I was very sore and stiff. For the weekend, popping aspirins every 6 to 8 hours, drinking lots of water, soaking in a hot tub with Epson salt (now it's ice baths), sleep/rest did the trick. Monday's practice was always light, but I was still a little sore. By Tuesday's hard practice I was good to go. Young bodies can recoup pretty nicely.

I'm sure the coaches will give Jaxson, London, Slovis time to rest, 2 days off on Monday & Tuesday practice and prescribe non inflammatory meds. The trainers will take good care of them.
Actually, there was no tackler contact with the suspect knee, just how it pounded onto the turf...straight down...thus the bruised knee.

Reactions: usc2k21

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
It also can result in turnovers. . .

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
They were stunting on those plays and bringing blitzers as well. I noticed what you did, but then also noticed the DL moving to fill those spaces and blitzers coming into the vacated space. Creates much more confusion and unpredictability.
I noticed that too. It didn't look so good in the first half. Unfortunately I was driving during the second half and didn't get to see what adjustments they made.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
In one of his first runs, he runs up the middle and when the DB comes up for the tackle, Dart lunges toward the defender and bangs shoulders. That stuff works in HS, in college that gets you a separated shoulder. Evade the contact, don't purposely engage it.
Especially at his high school. He was one of the biggest guys on the field in the highlights I saw.

ASECONDCHANCE

Aug 24, 2017
Is Ricky Henderson around to teach Dart how to slide?

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Is Ricky Henderson around to teach Dart how to slide?
The slide can be an art. QB's can use it to bait defenders into Roughing Passer or could feign the slide then pick up extra yards. If used properly (and I've seen it used terribly w/ QB's somersaulting slides horribly), you can get the most out of it. You do end up w/ less yardage since they mark you back where slide started, not where ended. Live to see another play though...

Freshman, we don't need you to prove your "toughness".

Latest posts