Joe Brady

Rob385

Sep 5, 2021
Outside the box, but he’s 32 years old, turned Joe Burrow into a Heisman winner. He helped LSU transform their offense in one year to a 15-0 National Championship. Now he’s reinventing Sam Darnold in Carolina.
I know we want someone with HC experience (I think) and I have no idea what Brady’s like outside of being an outstanding offensive dude, but he will be a Head Guy one day. Why not as a Trojan?

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
That would be amazing, but I’d be shocked. He’s got “NFL” written all over him.

Still, good call. I’d be totally stoked.

Reactions: Kaptain Karl

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
The real test is how he is going to game plan against Dallas with MCcaffey out!
Fight On!

TrojanGiftHorse

Jan 31, 2018
What if somebody made him a GM for one or two years, and he trips up terribly doing that job? Would you still want him as the USC head coach? If the answer is yes, then why not just go after Bill O'Brien? He actually has head coaching experience.

Last edited:

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Whoever we bring in as our new head coach, they would have to bring in an ENTIRE new offensive staff. At this point I would not mind having that head coach come with a BALANCED offensive identity!
Fight On!

White Flash

Jan 22, 2018
What if somebody made him a GM for one or two years, and he trips up terribly doing that job, would you still want him as the USC head coach? If the answer is yes, then why not just go after Bill O'Brien? He actually has head coaching experience.
not a sexy media pick, but i would love to have o'brien. was actually a great nfl coach, just didn't handle being a gm well. did a good job at psu post-paterno.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Whoever we bring in as our new head coach, they would have to bring in an ENTIRE new offensive staff. At this point I would not mind having that head coach come with a BALANCED offensive identity!
Fight On!
The entire offensive staff will no doubt be gone. Sucks for McGuire. The defense side will be tricky, maybe Todd does USC a favor and heads to Uconn. I'd keep Soto and Navier. Unless they both head out with Todd.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Funny you mention that, how many assistant coaches did not last during the Helton era. I felt bad for Chad Kauhaaha, the Dline coach before Sooto. I don’t think he ever got a fair shot, but I guess that is what happens when you accept a coaching job under an inept coach. Navair looks like a keeper or is he just riding the benefits of the Donte recruiting wave?
Fight On!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Funny you mention that, how many assistant coaches did not last during the Helton era. I felt bad for Chad Kauhaaha, the Dline coach before Sooto. I don’t think he ever got a fair shot, but I guess that is what happens when you accept a coaching job under an inept coach. Navair looks like a keeper or is he just riding the benefits of the Donte recruiting wave?
Fight On!
It’s not like they don’t get paid they the end of their contracts.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
One other note, I know posters want a proven coach, but since this thread started with second tier coach Brady, you would also have to consider Dallas’s OC, Kellen Moore. I think he would be a great fit for the QB stable we have in place. Again, I think we need a head coach with an offensive identity!
Fight On!

Reactions: Pudly76

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
It’s not like they don’t get paid they the end of their contracts.
Yes, that is true, but Chad was not unemployed at the time. In fact he was a fast rising, upcoming coach. I actually thought he was one of Helton’s better hires. Imagine uprooting your family to come to LA when you did not have too, thinking how great the opportunity was, only to find yourself being fired after the first year, working for a crappy boss! And you are right in your next response that I am predicting, that he should known better like Prentice Gill!
Fight On!

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
Yes, that is true, but Chad was not unemployed at the time. In fact he was a fast rising, upcoming coach. I actually thought he was one of Helton’s better hires. Imagine uprooting your family to come to LA when you did not have too, thinking how great the opportunity was, only to find yourself being fired after the first year, working for a crappy boss! And you are right in your next response that I am predicting, that he should known better like Prentice Gill!
Fight On!
No, my response wasn’t that. It’s “all coaches are only hired to be fired…” and if his family has issue with that then it sucks for them.
But you’re right, prentice made a good choice staying at asu and getting suspended. Oops, never mind..😂

seriously tho, it’s a tough life and only few ever get to experience stability. Look at saban’s assistants, he’s replacing them all the time, albeit fro different reasons.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Fight On!
Chad wasn’t a good coach. So’oto blew some of our D Linemen away with what he was teaching them when he first got here.

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
After reading some of the excerpts from the Athletic, SC has to go all out to lure a championship level coach. It’s going to take the “sure fire“ guy to remove the stench that Helton left, if SC is to avoid a long, pain staking rebuild.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Chad wasn’t a good coach. So’oto blew some of our D Linemen away with what he was teaching them when he first got here.
I am not taking away anything from So’oto, but Chad was placed under Pendergast! I don’t even think that was Clancy’s choice, nor did he seem to care at that point as he knew he was already on the hot seat! Chad has placed more then 10 kids in the NFL. Again, i am not comparing him to Soto, but he made a bad choice working for a coordinator that had one foot out the door and a clueless head coach. I am saying I don’t think he was given any support or a fair shot at success. That is just my opinion!
Fight On!

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
I am not taking away anything from So’oto, but Chad was placed under Pendergast! I don’t even think that was Clancy’s choice, nor did he seem to care at that point as he knew he was already on the hot seat! Chad has placed more then 10 kids in the NFL. Again, i am not comparing him to Soto, but he made a bad choice working for a coordinator that had one foot out the door and a clueless head coach. I am saying I don’t think he was given any support or a fair shot at success. That is just my opinion!
Fight On!
I agree and the players like him just like they liked So'oto, at least that's what I heard at the time.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Fight On!
All I know is Jay Tufele and Marlon T both raved about Vic So’oto. Chad, not so much.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

I can't personally speak to a direct comparison between CH and VS as DL coaches (because I never had the opportunity to watch them in action), but new coaches usually get glowing compliments from some of their players. Vic hasn't been loved universally (see portal action) and neither was CK, but they both had their supporters while in the saddle. I remember even "Sweaty" getting props from "some".

In any case, Chad's wasn't a poor coach by a long shot and he was/is a solid recruiter, especially in the Poly community. This from the UNLV site (where he is now DL coach;

"Kauha'aha'a spent the 2019 season as USC’s defensive line coach as the Trojans ranked 28th in the nation with 35 quarterback sacks and featured First Team All-Pac-12 lineman Jay Tufele and second-teamer Drake Jackson, who was also named a First Team Freshman All-American by 247Sports. Kauha’aha’a previously assisted the line at six other schools: Boise State (2018), Oregon State (2015-17), Wisconsin (2013-14), Utah (2011-12), Utah State (2009-10) and Weber State (2005-08). No less than 10 of his players have made it to the NFL, including 2013 first-rounder Star Lotulelei from Utah."

And, less we forget, his immediate supervisor and influencer was Clancy "Don't Need No Money" Pendergast; arguably the worst DC at USC in the past 30 years. Pretty hard to shine as an assistant when your Coordinator/Boss is a stone plug.

CK never had a fair shot at USC, IMO ... and that is not a condemnation of So'oto ... but CK's timing and specific circumstance worked against him. FWIW, personally I really like Vic a lot.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I can't personally speak to a direct comparison between CH and VS as DL coaches (because I never had the opportunity to watch them in action), but new coaches usually get glowing compliments from some of their players. Vic hasn't been loved universally (see portal action) and neither was CK, but they both had their supporters while in the saddle. I remember even "Sweaty" getting props from "some".

In any case, Chad's wasn't a poor coach by a long shot and he was/is a solid recruiter, especially in the Poly community. This from the UNLV site (where he is now DL coach;

"Kauha'aha'a spent the 2019 season as USC’s defensive line coach as the Trojans ranked 28th in the nation with 35 quarterback sacks and featured First Team All-Pac-12 lineman Jay Tufele and second-teamer Drake Jackson, who was also named a First Team Freshman All-American by 247Sports. Kauha’aha’a previously assisted the line at six other schools: Boise State (2018), Oregon State (2015-17), Wisconsin (2013-14), Utah (2011-12), Utah State (2009-10) and Weber State (2005-08). No less than 10 of his players have made it to the NFL, including 2013 first-rounder Star Lotulelei from Utah."

And, less we forget, his immediate supervisor and influencer was Clancy "Don't Need No Money" Pendergast; arguably the worst DC at USC in the past 30 years. Pretty hard to shine as an assistant when your Coordinator/Boss is a stone plug.

CK never had a fair shot at USC, IMO ... and that is not a condemnation of So'oto ... but CK's timing and specific circumstance worked against him. FWIW, personally I really like Vic a lot.
I‘m just relaying what I heard Jay Tufele said. He said he literally didn’t learn a thing from Chad and that So’oto got him ready and confident enough to enter the draft

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I didn’t think Jay played for us last year… that was Vic’s first season, right?
I think you’re right. It may have been Marlon T who was raving about Vic, but I know Jay T said he never learned much from Vic.
That was also told to me second hand, so I’ll walk it back a little bit.
I’m still angry Clancy ran off Kenechi, lol

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
I think you’re right. It may have been Marlon T who was raving about Vic, but I know Jay T said he never learned much from Vic.
That was also told to me second hand, so I’ll walk it back a little bit.
I’m still angry Clancy ran off Kenechi, lol
BKU had us leading the country in sacks…

Latest posts