JT Daniels expected to enter the portal

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
"Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is expected to enter the transfer portal after meeting with Kirby Smart, but he may remain enrolled at UGA until he graduates this spring.

Daniels looks to be the first domino to fall — but likely not the last — in the Bulldogs’ annual quarterback room shuffle."

Players have until today to declare for the draft and Bennett hasn't said anything. I suspect he's going to come back so JT is once again moving on.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017
2020 season was supposed to be his last but injuries derailed that plan. Hopefully he doesn’t transfer to a team on our schedule (ND, etc).

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Georgia Fans are hoping for Caleb as well.
Really? Where have you read that? Doesn't make much sense with the chance of Bennett returning and having Beck, Vandagriff, and Stockton already in pocket. I doubt he would end up with a starting position so unless he wants to be a back-up, UGA is not a good choice and I think UGA fans know that.
2020 season was supposed to be his last but injuries derailed that plan. Hopefully he doesn’t transfer to a team on our schedule (ND, etc).
Like Oregon? Lanning needs one.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
Really? Where have you read that? Doesn't make much sense with the chance of Bennett returning and having Beck, Vandagriff, and Stockton already in pocket. I doubt he would end up with a starting position so unless he wants to be a back-up, UGA is not a good choice and I think UGA fans know that.

I couldn't bear the sight of JT or Caleb in an Oregon uniform.

J4SC1975

Aug 30, 2021

I don't see Caleb going there either, but can't understand why they would keep Bennett over JT. JT has a wonderful understanding of what each player is doing on the field. When healthy, he can make all the throws. He got criticized by many as not being a team guy, but I think he's proven over and over that he is very much a team guy. If Caleb did go somewhere else, would SC go after him? He may still have the tatoo. :)

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I don't see Caleb going there either, but can't understand why they would keep Bennett over JT. JT has a wonderful understanding of what each player is doing on the field. When healthy, he can make all the throws. He got criticized by many as not being a team guy, but I think he's proven over and over that he is very much a team guy. If Caleb did go somewhere else, would SC go after him? He may still have the tatoo. :)
I'm not sure it's ultimately their decision although Kirby already said this weekend he thought it would be great for Stetson to come back. If I'm JT and hearing that, then why stay? He has all the talent and has had all the bad luck. He handled the situation this season really well. Not many would.

He definitely still has the tattoo, lol. I don't see USC going after him and it would be pretty strange for him to return but he's never lost his love for USC.

Cyrus.usc

Aug 24, 2017

I don’t think Caleb will be a backup wherever he goes.

I hate to see JT in an Oregon uniform but they are not on our schedule next season, unless we play them in the CCG.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017
"Georgia quarterback JT Daniels is expected to enter the transfer portal after meeting with Kirby Smart, but he may remain enrolled at UGA until he graduates this spring.

Daniels looks to be the first domino to fall — but likely not the last — in the Bulldogs’ annual quarterback room shuffle."

Players have until today to declare for the draft and Bennett hasn't said anything. I suspect he's going to come back so JT is once again moving on.

Thanxs Veebs for the update. Good news. According to your past info, JT needs to graduate from UGA so that he can transfer and play immediately. Hope JT finds a school that will exploit his outstanding QB talents. He needs one full year playing, running a team's O so that the NFL have good tape on him.

I hope he picks a school with a passing oriented offense. I think he should go to Ole Miss, or Miss St, Virginia, Western Kentucky, all passing offensive schools. I think these P-5 schools need a good QB: Michigan, Penn St, Baylor, OK State, Notre Dame. What ever school he picks, I will surely follow his games next year...

Minor issue, by the time JT gets to his new school, it will be sometime in June 2022. Shoot, JT wil have to learn a new Offense in 2 1/2 months. Plus bond with his new teammates. That's a challenge for any QB, but I think JT has the smarts and talent to accomplish the task.

On another note: Let me make this clear, I do not have ill feelings for Stetson Bennett, he is a fine, good, serviceable QB. He really improved, played well all season and helped UGA win the National Championship. Heck, he won the MVP in the Championship game. Congrats SB on a fine year. The nature with all FB teams, only one QB plays and win 1st string. He looks like a nice and upstanding young man and wishing him the best in the future...

Last edited:

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
I saw this asked in the Bru McCoy thread, but never saw an answer: is there still a rule that requires non-graduates sit a year aside if not their first transfer?

The mitigating factors that allow for immediate eligibility as far as I know are:
  • First transfer
  • Graduate transfer
  • Head coaching change that occurs by May/July 1st
  • Cancellation of scholarship by May/July 1st
  • Pandemic year
  • Hardship appeal
Are there any more? I'm sure JT is close to graduating, but it would seem like the stand-up thing to do if UGA cancelled his scholarship.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Hope the best for JT. Does he have 2 years left?
I could be wrong but I think with the extra covid year, he has 2. In 2020 after the NCAA allowed him to play immediately he had 3 years. He's played 2 but gets 1 back due to covid.
I saw this asked in the Bru McCoy thread, but never saw an answer: is there still a rule that requires non-graduates sit a year aside if not their first transfer?

The mitigating factors that allow for immediate eligibility as far as I know are:
  • First transfer
  • Graduate transfer
  • Head coaching change that occurs by May/July 1st
  • Cancellation of scholarship by May/July 1st
  • Pandemic year
  • Hardship appeal
Are there any more? I'm sure JT is close to graduating, but it would seem like the stand-up thing to do if UGA cancelled his scholarship.
If he stays for the spring semester, he will graduate. Classes have already started and I don't think there's any way UGA will cancel his scholarship.

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
In some ways, this is not surprising. Was reading elsewhere that even Bennett may not start in 2022 if he returns (he still has a year of eligibility left---6 yrs. to play 4) and he's obviously not League material. Smart et al. are still considering TP options even with SB and/or JT returning. Would be really wild if in a worst case scenario (i.e., neither CW nor JDart is USC's QB in 2022), JT were to consider returning to USC. Although I'd be the first to admit that would be far from ideal for USC. Both CW and JD definitely have higher ceilings than JT and JT is more of a throwback to recent one-dimensional USC QBs who weren't run/scrambling threats (Barks, Kessler, Slovis--only Sam was the exception to that). But still wish JT the best wherever he ends up.

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
If he stays for the spring semester, he will graduate. Classes have already started and I don't think there's any way UGA will cancel his scholarship.
To be clear, cancellation of his scholarship would have to be some UGA would need to be convinced to do, but he's also missing important spring practices if he completes his spring semester in Athens. He might as well sit out a year if he only gets fall practices to win a job at a real program. If he agreed to transfer to a program unlikely to threaten UGA next year, I really question why they wouldn't want to elevate a younger player in that loaded QB room to more reps.

What a snakebit run of rotten luck for the guy. Cursed with two staffs that made the wrong talent assessment, and the latter too stubborn to admit they were wrong (and still won a chip despite!).

BiggDaddy

Sep 3, 2021
It makes me wonder how he would have fared overall if he had spent his senior year at Mater Dei. He would have been one year more physically, emotionally, and academically mature as well as been able to get some recovery time in from taking some needed breaks. It seemed like he was always in an accelerated atmosphere, rushing through to finish HS academics and then cramming for a starting job over the summer before freshman year. Then switching schools and competing against guys who had already been in the system. That is a heck of a load.

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
It makes me wonder how he would have fared overall if he had spent his senior year at Mater Dei. He would have been one year more physically, emotionally, and academically mature as well as been able to get some recovery time in from taking some needed breaks. It seemed like he was always in an accelerated atmosphere, rushing through to finish HS academics and then cramming for a starting job over the summer before freshman year. Then switching schools and competing against guys who had already been in the system. That is a heck of a load.
I believe he was held back though in grade school, meaning he did graduate HS in the proper age bracket for a HS senior.

yah20002

Aug 24, 2017
Agree that he is injury prone. Would like to see a player have more cajones and fight and work harder to earn the starting position rather then to bail and transfer. The portal sucks.
JT can’t afford to stay and fight at UGA. He needs reps. Gotta go somewhere else to get them.

Yeah, the portal is something we’ll have to learn to deal with.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Agree that he is injury prone. Would like to see a player have more cajones and fight and work harder to earn the starting position rather then to bail and transfer. The portal sucks.
He did earn the starting position. And then ostensibly lost it to a lesser player who scrambles better. He's probably worked as hard as anyone else. Hes not bailing. Hes doing what he needs to do to have a career in the NFL, something Bennett will never have.

TrojanHorseshoe

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, snakebitten, rotten luck, to use the words of an apt poster here.

Feel bad for JT. Seems like he's devoted his life to be a marquee QB, but it has just not panned out for him.

As I do with any hard worker, I wish him the best.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021

Brock & Carson will be in the portal by Wed once it's "known" that CKS got on bent knee an Promised Frodo he's QB1 till hell freezes over... Wouldn't be surprised if Gunner asks for a release from his LOI once it's announced Frodo is back which would leave 'em with Muschamp's kid who is a walk-on in the QB Rm. CKS will've forced out a 4* an 3 5*'s from the present QB Rm all because he REFUSES to let go of his "idea" of a winning QB. Before anyone yaps about UGA just won the Natty. The Defense WON that Natty, NOT Frodo!!

heyrev

Aug 24, 2017
What a snakebit run of rotten luck for the guy. Cursed with two staffs that made the wrong talent assessment, and the latter too stubborn to admit they were wrong (and still won a chip despite!).
Yes, rotten luck regarding injury, but the rest of this paragraph is really puzzling. Two staffs that made the wrong talent assessment?!? First, USC made him a starter immediately and kept him there until they couldn't. Secondly, Georgia played him until another guy took his job AND WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. And what, is Georgia supposed to say they were wrong?!? Puzzling post. I like JT but he can't extend plays with his feet--a critical need and highly desirable by CFB coaches.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Brock & Carson will be in the portal by Wed once it's "known" that CKS got on bent knee an Promised Frodo he's QB1 till hell freezes over... Wouldn't be surprised if Gunner asks for a release from his LOI once it's announced Frodo is back which would leave 'em with Muschamp's kid who is a walk-on in the QB Rm. CKS will've forced out a 4* an 3 5*'s from the present QB Rm all because he REFUSES to let go of his "idea" of a winning QB. Before anyone yaps about UGA just won the Natty. The Defense WON that Natty, NOT Frodo!!
Beck is a likely entrant into the portal but nothing suggests Brock will leave. And Stockton isn't going to leave without ever giving it a shot. Kirby has said repeatedly that every player has to earn their starting position every week and that will include Bennett going into fall.

Like I said a couple days before the game, Bennett didn't need to be a world beater. The defense needed to play to their ability and they needed to keep tempo through 4 quarters. Bennett only needed to be good enough and not throw INTs. So if that's the situation, then who cares? He did throw that pass to Mitchell in the corner and it was spot on. He also completed that 52 yd pass to Pickens, another perfectly thrown ball.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
Beck is a likely entrant into the portal but nothing suggests Brock will leave. And Stockton isn't going to leave without ever giving it a shot. Kirby has said repeatedly that every player has to earn their starting position every week and that will include Bennett going into fall.

Like I said a couple days before the game, Bennett didn't need to be a world beater. The defense needed to play to their ability and they needed to keep tempo through 4 quarters. Bennett only needed to be good enough and not throw INTs. So if that's the situation, then who cares? He did throw that pass to Mitchell in the corner and it was spot on. He also completed that 52 yd pass to Pickens, another perfectly thrown ball.
UGA won INSPITE of Frodo. Period. Full Stop.

CKS has a well-documented albeit brief history of choosing the Wrong QB as HC. Fromm was inserted when Eason went down with an injury an refused to let him back on the field. Fields was the Better option yet Fromm was QB1. JT Is the Better option yet CKS insisted that Frodo was QB1. Hell OC Munkin even had a sitdown with Frodo shortly after fall camp started when JT first got there, tellin him he wasn't QB1 material. Wasn't even QB3 material an don't expect/ask for reps in practice. CKS intervened after Urinal Constipation reporter Chip Towers; asked if he was comfortable with a gunslinger like JT runnin the offense as it would mean quick drives alas resulting in TD's for sure but not the traditional 10-14 play, ground & pound drives he preferred.

Brock is just as gone as Carson mark my words. Maybe Gunner sticks around through Spring ball just to "see" but if he isn't QB1 when the spring game (Red & Black) is in the books an Frodo is, he's gone too.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
UGA won INSPITE of Frodo. Period. Full Stop.

CKS has a well-documented albeit brief history of choosing the Wrong QB as HC. Fromm was inserted when Eason went down with an injury an refused to let him back on the field. Fields was the Better option yet Fromm was QB1. JT Is the Better option yet CKS insisted that Frodo was QB1. Hell OC Munkin even had a sitdown with Frodo shortly after fall camp started when JT first got there, tellin him he wasn't QB1 material. Wasn't even QB3 material an don't expect/ask for reps in practice. CKS intervened after Urinal Constipation reporter Chip Towers; asked if he was comfortable with a gunslinger like JT runnin the offense as it would mean quick drives alas resulting in TD's for sure but not the traditional 10-14 play, ground & pound drives he preferred.

Brock is just as gone as Carson mark my words. Maybe Gunner sticks around through Spring ball just to "see" but if he isn't QB1 when the spring game (Red & Black) is in the books an Frodo is, he's gone too.
And Monken has since said that he was wrong.

JT got injured. Without that fact, he would have started the entire season. You can say all day long that UGA won the championship in spite of Bennett, but again I would say who cares? Only one team took home the trophy and it wasn't Alabama.

Kirby will not name a starter until fall.

Dallas Schwartz

Jan 9, 2021
And Monken has since said that he was wrong.

JT got injured. Without that fact, he would have started the entire season. You can say all day long that UGA won the championship in spite of Bennett, but again I would say who cares? Only one team took home the trophy and it wasn't Alabama.

Kirby will not name a starter until fall.
K

and the sky is purple an unicorns fly around the Moon...

Monken said that as a result of the nice Fat raise, he just got... Monken said JT was the best option they had in the QB rm but it wasn't his call about playin JT that was the "Doc's call" wink wink...

JT's folks an personal doc said he was bein held unnecessarily BY (wait for it) CKS. Again, he didn't want a gunslinger leadin the parade exposing his D to too much time on the field if the O was boatracin the opponents D. Just like Coach Saban wasn't thrilled with Kiff's play callin in certain games cuz they scored too quickly. Go back to the Peach Bowl vs Cincy; the defense was draggin tongues by the 4th cuz JT was slicin up the Cincy D after a sluggish 1st qtr. CKS knew he Needed to make the CFP Finals this yr or the seat was gonna get warm real quick. Fans were already griping about winnin the signin day natty only to lose in the SECCG...

Moon4Cimoli

Aug 31, 2021
I once asked this question: Is durability a part of talent? I think it is. Not a big part but a part nonetheless.

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
Yes, rotten luck regarding injury, but the rest of this paragraph is really puzzling. Two staffs that made the wrong talent assessment?!? First, USC made him a starter immediately and kept him there until they couldn't. Secondly, Georgia played him until another guy took his job AND WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. And what, is Georgia supposed to say they were wrong?!? Puzzling post. I like JT but he can't extend plays with his feet--a critical need and highly desirable by CFB coaches.
It's an unanswerable question, but given how brief Slovis's run lasted (essentially just JT's injury season) I submit that JT could have been the superior talent. Slovis, even including his unreal true freshman season, turned out to be a somewhat above average college quarterback. JT was Wally Pipp'd.

Obviously, that UGA won a national championship with Bennett is a question of causation vs. correlation. Are you suggesting that Bennett turned in a performance that was simply not within JT's grasp? I believe that the UGA staff, when reviewing the "where are they now?" of prior quarterbacks, cannot be said to have made the right pure talent assessments.

Reactions: Dallas Schwartz

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
K

and the sky is purple an unicorns fly around the Moon...

Monken said that as a result of the nice Fat raise, he just got... Monken said JT was the best option they had in the QB rm but it wasn't his call about playin JT that was the "Doc's call" wink wink...

JT's folks an personal doc said he was bein held unnecessarily BY (wait for it) CKS. Again, he didn't want a gunslinger leadin the parade exposing his D to too much time on the field if the O was boatracin the opponents D. Just like Coach Saban wasn't thrilled with Kiff's play callin in certain games cuz they scored too quickly. Go back to the Peach Bowl vs Cincy; the defense was draggin tongues by the 4th cuz JT was slicin up the Cincy D after a sluggish 1st qtr. CKS knew he Needed to make the CFP Finals this yr or the seat was gonna get warm real quick. Fans were already griping about winnin the signin day natty only to lose in the SECCG...
Monken first made his comments on Dec 28th right before the Orange Bowl. There was no raise.

"To no one's surprise, quarterback talk dominated Todd Monken's Orange Bowl press conference.

Georgia's offensive coordinator answered various forms of the question Kirby Smart has heard all season: Why is Stetson Bennett IV starting and not JT Daniels? Monken gave the same response as Smart, that the coaching staff feels Bennett gives the team the best chance to win.

Toward the end of his media session, however, Monken made a declaration. With the bright lights on, Monken doubled down on his belief in Georgia's ability to win with Bennett.

"If you look at the plays he's made, he's made national championship plays. He has," Monken said. "You turn on the film and look at some of the throws he makes, the decisions he makes, the things he does with his feet. There's no doubt in my mind we can win the national championship. There's no doubt in my mind we can win it with Stetson Bennett.....

According to Monken, Bennett took his opportunity and ran with it. It's nothing to do with what Daniels did or didn't do, but rather what Bennett showed in practice.

The staff "probably undervalued his skill set" at times, Monken said, but when he got his shot, Bennett showed what he can do.

"We've tried to elevate guys that have talent on our roster, and we do that at every position, and some guys just combat that and fight and scratch and continue to play well and try to prove you wrong, and that's what Stetson Bennett did," Monken said.

Monken felt the flow of the season never changed to where a switch back to Daniels had to happen. The Bulldogs kept winning with Bennett under center. His hold on the starting job became stronger and stronger.

"For some reason, we get into this stereotyping of players based on where they were at some point....be it one was a walk-on, one was a 5-star, one was a whatever," Monken said. "Just look at the production of what (Stetson) has done for our football team. It's impressive....There are times in games where any of our players don't play their best, and we're disappointed in how they played," Monken said. "But the body of work that we felt like that Stetson had given us I think allowed us to carry it over to the next weeks. The reality is that we don't know what's behind the next decision. We know what we make the decision based on what we see on a daily basis."

Can you provide a link where Monken said it wasn't his call? Or a link where JT's parents said JT was being unnecessarily held back? Down the stretch, JT AND his parents AND his doctors AND anyone in his personal circle had a multitude of opportunities to leak something, to become a distraction, to make it an issue. It never happened. One unknown idiot on a message board posted an unsubstantiated rumor and somehow that is fact? Maybe it is just as simple as what Monken said.

Kirby's seat was not warm. In 6 years, he's played in 4 of the NY's 6, had played in a NC, and has had top 3 recruiting classes each of the last 3 years. Donations have been flooding in and he is a big reason why UGA has brand new facilities and a top notch staff.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
I believe that the UGA staff, when reviewing the "where are they now?" of prior quarterbacks, cannot be said to have made the right pure talent assessments.
Prior decisions are just that. The current staff probably wouldn't even disagree with you that JT is a superior talent in almost every way. However, it's clear they believed Bennett's ability to extend plays with his feet was better and that the continued winning pattern with Bennett in wasn't worth risking the change "just because". What they've proven is that you can win a Natty with a walk-on even though your opponent has a 5* Heisman winner. Also keeping in mind that Bama had 5* freshmen WR's on the bench. UGA had 2 freshmen in Mitchell and Bowers who scored the last 2 offensive TD's. Mitchell was just a 3* whose commitment to Tennessee was declined by Pruitt because Mitchell is a diabetic. Bowers didn't even play his senior year because of CA/covid.

These games often do come down to who has the best QB but ultimately it's a team trophy. If one year, a team wins mostly because they have a better defense, what is the problem?