Lane Kiff >>> Franklin

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
That's a pro not a con.
I don't see it as a pro I see as a unknown variable. That could result in a positive now, and turn into a negative in the future. I want to see the results of a team that he built himself because Ole miss wasn't getting bad players, before they fired their head coach in scandal.

I understand his previous time at USC left on a sour note, but if you don't think he's one of the better HC's in the country (top 20), let's revisit this topic in 5 years.
He can be one of the better HC in the next 5 years or be fired from Ole miss. It's that much of a toss up in the SEC. Still none of this matters much to me as that bridge is burned either way, when it comes to USC on both sides.

Last edited:

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
To be fair, this isn't his first head coach job. He did a fantastic job at FAU, was great under Saban, and actually did have some great seasons at SC despite dealing with sanctions.

Our administration was foolish and short sighted for firing him. And the real reason was they didn't like his personality. Sure, that loss was bad. But again....the team was on sanctions.
Mmmm Lane was terrific in 2011. 1 losing season and 2 3-loss seasons at FAU. Weak loss for Franklin yesterday against Illinois who rushed for 354 yards, but I’d still take him over Kiffin.

4heisman

Aug 24, 2017
I don't see it as a pro I see as a unknown variable. That could result in a positive now, and turn into a negative in the future. I want to see the results of a team that he built himself because Ole miss wasn't getting bad players, before they fired their head coach in scandal.

He can be one of the better HC in the next 5 years or be fired from Ole miss. It's that much of a toss up in the SEC. Still none of this matters much to me as that bridge is burned either way, when it comes to USC on both sides.

C'mon now, you know he's not getting fired from Ole Miss. lol

• Haha
Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Franklin is going to end up 8-4 or 7-5 which is exactly why he would want to come to USC where the competition isn’t as cutthroat. But 8-4 or 7-5 isn’t going to cut it for USC fans.

,mUSCle

Feb 5, 2019
Very well said.

If the more mature Lane put together an elite defensive staff at USC he'd be very dangerous. I'm not saying he's the guy, but at this point I think I take him over James Franklin. If it wasn't for his history here I don't even think it would be a question.
Just to build off this conversation. I have become a believer that Sark and Kiffin are actually very solid HCs but when they were at SC it was just not the right time for them in terms of maturity and personal reasons. But a sober Sark has that Texas offense playing very well and Kiffin has that Ole miss offense flying. Talking about comparing the candidates we are looking at and I would say I wouldn't mind if Sark just brought his whole staff over from Texas.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Talking about comparing the candidates we are looking at and I would say I wouldn't mind if Sark just brought his whole staff over from Texas.
You're liking the fact that they are blowing leads and losing?

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
Just to build off this conversation. I have become a believer that Sark and Kiffin are actually very solid HCs but when they were at SC it was just not the right time for them in terms of maturity and personal reasons. But a sober Sark has that Texas offense playing very well and Kiffin has that Ole miss offense flying. Talking about comparing the candidates we are looking at and I would say I wouldn't mind if Sark just brought his whole staff over from Texas.
Agreed. I'd personally be more inclined to rehire Kiff over Sark, but I suppose that's mostly a moot point. Lane is rehireable but probably won't be, Sark with the alcohol stuff and the lawsuit I doubt could ever be rehired.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
From jump I never favored Franklin.

Never thought much of Kiffinator, either.

1635113939154.png
What's for breakfast?

But between the 2, Franklin or Kiffin, Lane is a very easy pick for me. Apparently, he's matured, mellowed and, to me, he seems to have gotten it together.

1635114221031.png

but alas ...

1635113562235.png

But don't worry about Lane Train ...

1635114444927.png

sc69er

Aug 31, 2021
I don't think Kiffin was the best coach in the world, but he did a good job under the circumstances. I would have liked to see how he performed at full strength. I wish the AD had handled his firing better.

I also don't understand the irrational hatred some of our fan base holds for former coaches. Even if they were a disappointment, there is no reason for the vitriol and ill will toward them.
It started with the chowistas after the 2004 season and they kept beating the drum.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
From jump I never favored Franklin.

Never thought much of Kiffinator, either.

View attachment 157473
What's for breakfast?

But between the 2, Franklin or Kiffin, Lane is a very easy pick for me. Apparently, he's matured, mellowed and, to me, he seems to have gotten it together.

View attachment 157475

but alas ...

View attachment 157472

But don't worry about Lane Train ...

View attachment 157477
C'mon, what's the point of being rich and famous if you can't pull a little high-class a** every once in awhile. Every guy here would be doing the same if he wasn't married.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
C'mon, what's the point of being rich and famous if you can't pull a little high-class a** every once in awhile. Every guy here would be doing the same if he wasn't married.

Hahahaha. You're killing me, brah!

Every single guy ain't "doing the same". Not by a long shot.

If they were doing the same, they wouldn't be here.

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Attachments

• 1635115006007.png
    1635115006007.png
    941.7 KB · Views: 2

TrojanMoondoggie

Aug 24, 2017
The problem with Lane at USC was that he spent most of his time with his nose in the Denny's menu instead of taking care of the overall team. i wouldn't want him back at USC in any capacity. Been there, done that. We just need a clean house with someone outside the USC coaching tree.
I remember him on the sidelines with his nose in that "menu" too.
I know he was part of the staff that took us through some glorious years, but I also seem to remember a lot of predictability too when he was coach.
In fact, I remember the guys who sat in front of us at the Coli....one was especially vocal.
He would stand up and say, 'Folks, what play do you think he's going to call next....I'm thinking (fill in the blank).'
And he was right almost every single time.
I remember turning to my friends saying how if the people in the stands know what he's going to do, doesn't it stand to reason the opposing teams has an idea too.
Could be so frustrating.

Redondo Beach SC

Aug 24, 2017
What does that mean exactly?

That’s it’s perfectly OK for married people to fool around with strange on the side? So, then do you mean that you are amoral about this behavior?

I’m curious.
I don't do it, but that's our relationship. I don't really care if others have open relationships or if someone else messes around.

It would be a better country if we embraced some old-fashioned values but I think that ship has sailed.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If Bohn and Sosna hire Franklin with his poor record against top ten opponents. And seeing his performance versus Illinois?

I'm just going to laugh, the guy went to 9 overtimes with a 2-5 team and PSU fans are starting, to turn on him. You don't hire a guy that a fanbase doesn't want and there's a high chance that they get smashed by Ohio State. That would be the most embarrassing thing; the dude could just as well lose to Michigan State, Michigan and Rutgers.

It better be some high level smoke screen, weeding out leakers.

Last edited:

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
He is not a candidate for USC. Won't ever be coming back here.

But he is a good coach and has had success at TN, USC, FAU and Now Ole Miss.
Sure as **** he is better than every coach we have had since he was fired.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

SouthbayTrojan91

Aug 24, 2017
Very well said.

If the more mature Lane put together an elite defensive staff at USC he'd be very dangerous. I'm not saying he's the guy, but at this point I think I take him over James Franklin. If it wasn't for his history here I don't even think it would be a question.

If we hire Franklin we are going to suck for another 10 years.

Latest posts