Miami likely to be searching for a new coach

GLYCERINE

Aug 24, 2017
between us and Miami …. We may be going after the same candidates…

hearing Miami wants Mario.

Miami is also a sleeping giant. Not to mention FSU who may also pull the trigger but not likely

JayBird23

Nov 17, 2018
What’s up with Washington? They look awful. It’s a good thing we are searching now.

Reactions: Pudly76

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017

Miami is also a sleeping giant. Not to mention FSU who may also pull the trigger but not likely
Why would Miami be a sleeping giant?
Because they are in Florida, one of the top three recruiting hot beds?
We should know this from experience at USC. Just because you have name value, that doesn't mean crap. You need the school and the AD to provide resources to the football program for it to be successful.
Once Folt hired Bohn, who then threw all kinds of money into the football team, we started to see improvements in staff, recruiting, resources, etc.
For all we know, Miami is in the same dumpster fire that we were in a few years ago.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
Perfect storm. Miami gets Mario, Oregon promotes from with in or sadly try’s to poach Donte. If not they will underwhelm with their hire. Then we still have plenty of options.

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
To sum it up best, it is all about the money. Saban‘s interviews say it best. although he is the highest paid college coach, he brings in way more revenue to the university! Either win now or get put on the hot seat and eventually get canned! Coach O is trending the same path!
Fight On!

Reactions: RPBSC

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Anyone looking can see USC is newly, and sincerely, recommitted to vast improvement aimed at a return to the summit of the dogpile.

It’s not just our storied history, glamorous locale and copious sums of money being made available, but the positive change in culture being hammered into place by HH. Right now USC is the smarter choice of horses for a top tier coach to ride to fame.

Bohn’s biggest job is convincing his top head coaching candidate(s) that the commitment he’s evidencing is deeply held by those at USC above him, too.

I keep waiting to hear Folt is being replaced by someone exuding a deep, unshakable commitment to that same shared vision.

Last edited:

GoSC27!

Sep 30, 2017
Football coaches get paid more then the presidents of most universities. Winning is their first and foremost priority as it correlates to money via revenues for the university. Licensing agreements, advertising, conference revenues, tv revenues, merchandising revenues, gate receipts, the list goes on and on. You don’t win that correlates with lost income Opportunities. That is why there is little patience with coaches. It is win now baby or go on the hot seat. I think Kliavkoff explained that clearly to both Folt and Bohn that with Helton at the helm you are leaving a lot of money on the table.
Fight On!

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Mario is a better match at Miami than SC. I hope both he and Bohn realize that.

Not interested. Aim higher.
I disagree, respectfully, as always. I think Mario would be a perfect fit at USC. Three years ago I would have said no way, but the guy can coach, can recruit, and most importantly, he seems to be very adept at building a culture.

Mario Cristobal with Donte at his side, would have USC back in the playoff hunt very quickly IMO

Vgladiator07

Sep 9, 2019
I disagree, respectfully, as always. I think Mario would be a perfect fit at USC. Three years ago I would have said no way, but the guy can coach, can recruit, and most importantly, he seems to be very adept at building a culture.

Mario Cristobal with Donte at his side, would have USC back in the playoff hunt very quickly IMO

Ojaitrojan

Mar 1, 2019
On the radio yesterday they were discussing this, and the point was made that for both Miami and FSU they're looking at a commitment of $50 million, more or less, to fire their current coaches. Both schools are paying past coaches, then factor in the buyout for the current staff, then the buyout for the next coaches staff, plus their salaries, and you're looking at a $50 million buy out. That's a lot of scratch, even in today's college football landscape.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Blem,

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me ... ever. It makes for better "discussion" and besides, most peeps eventually do.

I also appreciate that you have as good an insight into Miami as anyone I've ever seen post on the USC boards, and so I'm comfortable that you can speak with an usually high level of authority on the Canes.

Maybe where we first part on MC is where you're assuming Cristobal would still want Donte at his side. Given that DW recently bolted on him, I'm not ready to make that assumption. Actually, I was thinking that hiring MC might be one sure way to guaranty Donte would bail, or be jettisoned ... which is, in turn, one reason not to hire Cristobal.

That said, I'm personally against Cristobal because I don't like the idea of poaching another P12 coach to jump ship for USC by our encouragement. Maybe I'd feel different if Mario made the initial contact-of-interest to Bohn, but I don't see that happening. I which case, he'd be looking at it as mostly a money-opportunity thrown at him by USC in near desperation and, I think, Uncle Phil would outbid even USC to keep Mario. In truth, I think UO would do just about anything to keep him.

I also don't believe Cristobal would leave Oregon for another P12 school, even USC. He would leave, however, for a quality team in the South with tradition, a pro (vs. con) football culture and bouquet-piles of money, especially such a school in the state of Flodido ... since that's home for him, not LA. I know you know he played and started his coaching career at Miami. All thing's being equal, don't you think Mario to Miami is a much more likely move than Mario to Los Angeles? It'd be a grand thing, IMO, for him to return in triumph to Miami and complete the full circle in his coaching career.

Yes, I agree he's a very good coach and I recognize Oregon's current success is much the result of Mario Cristobal, but I don't think he's the best candidate for USC by a long shot. He'd be another lazy hire. The last head coach we poached from a P12 school came in with all the promise of success but didn't turn out so swell (Cutty Sark).

If we do in fact conduct a full, broad and thoughtful professional search for our new HC, then I'll agree MC's name should probably be somewhere on the master list, 'cuz "if you don't ask, you don't get." And if all the nuts have been shaken from the tree and he's the best we can find then I'd support him, but with one-eye-open and on him all the time for the NFL to come calling and lure him away. (Personally, I think Mario's next move is to take a stab at the NFL, not any other D1 college program that's not Miami, FSU or the Gators - and the Gators aren't looking right now.

Finally, as USC fans we see USC as head and shoulders above Oregon in all regards, but the Duck program is his baby, his creation. I think he'd be loath to give it up for what he may very likely see as pretty-much only a lateral move.

None of those may be fair or accurate, but it's how I see things with him. Even if I were wrong on all accounts, I still think we should aim higher.

USC need lots off things in a new coach that not Clay, Sark or the Lane Train ever offered but, among those things, I'd consider the stability of a sincere long-term commitment to USC an extremely important consideration. After the constant hire-n-fire revolving door at USC ever since Pete left, we desperately need someone qualified, capable and committed to stick with USC all the way back to the pinnacle. I don't think Cristobal would provide that.

And stop being a racist.

1632405878881.png

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Manny Diaz at UM - cautionary example of promoting from within and giving the HC job to someone that's never been a HC.

Good example. As much as every head coach was a rookie once, that's not what USC deserves nor as good as it can do.

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
On the radio yesterday they were discussing this, and the point was made that for both Miami and FSU they're looking at a commitment of $50 million, more or less, to fire their current coaches. Both schools are paying past coaches, then factor in the buyout for the current staff, then the buyout for the next coaches staff, plus their salaries, and you're looking at a $50 million buy out. That's a lot of scratch, even in today's college football landscape.

Absolutely it is but it's paltry compared to the reward$, if you get the right guy who's able to carry your flag all the way to the summit.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Cristobal played at Miami and is cuban and connects with that community in Miami. zero ties to USC.
This kind of thinking is partly responsible for why USC is in the position it now is.

The “ He gets USC” thing. It’s BS. Pete Carroll “ got“ USC probably as much or more than any Coach we’ve ever had. And his only tie to USC is his daughter was on the Volleyball team.

Mario Cristobal played at Miami. Yes, but how many coaches can you think of that were successful as players AND as coaches at their respective schools? it’s a short damn list.

What does him being Cuban have to do with him being successful at Miami?

Go ahead and give me a list of all the great Cuban players that have played there. The only thing about the U Football program that can be linked to Cuba is that stupid asz turnover chain.

I probably know as much about The U and how it operates as anyone on this board. There have been very few Cuban American players to play there. What made The U great in its heyday was getting fast and tough Black Kids from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties and White QB’s from Out of State.They’ve probably had more QBs from California than from South Florida. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were George Mira in the 60’s, Steve Walsh in the 80’s and Jacory Harris in the 2000’s. Derek Crudup I guess, but he made almost zero impact there. Came in for one play vs Ohio St when Californian Ken Dorsey had to leave the game.

I can almost guarantee you, that if Mario Cristobal is looking to leave Oregon, he would more likely choose USC over Miami, all offers being equal.

The man has built a playoff quality football program in a state that produces almost zero in state high quality football players.
He would absolutely kill it at USC.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
This kind of thinking is partly responsible for why USC is in the position it now is.

The “ He gets USC” thing. It’s BS. Pete Carroll “ got“ USC probably as much or more than any Coach we’ve ever had. And his only tie to USC is his daughter was on the Volleyball team.

Mario Cristobal played at Miami. Yes, but how many coaches can you think of that were successful as players AND as coaches at their respective schools? it’s a short damn list.

What does him being Cuban have to do with him being successful at Miami?

Go ahead and give me a list of all the great Cuban players that have played there. The only thing about the U Football program that can be linked to Cuba is that stupid asz turnover chain.

I probably know as much about The U and how it operates as anyone on this board. There have been very few Cuban American players to play there. What made The U great in its heyday was getting fast and tough Black Kids from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties and White QB’s from Out of State.They’ve probably had more QBs from California than from South Florida. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head were George Mira in the 60’s, Steve Walsh in the 80’s and Jacory Harris in the 2000’s. Derek Crudup I guess, but he made almost zero impact there. Came in for one play vs Ohio St when Californian Ken Dorsey had to leave the game.

I can almost guarantee you, that if Mario Cristobal is looking to leave Oregon, he would more likely choose USC over Miami, all offers being equal.

The man has built a playoff quality football program in a state that produces almost zero in state high quality football players.
He would absolutely kill it at USC.

I don't agree, but (perhaps) we'll see soon enuff.

I'll go with Miami for all the seasons I already state above in Post #15.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Absolutely it is but it's paltry compared to the reward$, if you get the right guy who's able to carry your flag all the way to the summit.
At FSU maybe. Miami doesnt have the alumni support or really, the fan base to generate a lot of income for its football program. Even back in the 80’s and early 2000’s, the stadium would only really be full when they played big games against top programs. In the late 90’s I could walk up an hour before game time and buy a good seating ticket.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Blem,

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me ... ever. It makes for better "discussion" and besides, most peeps eventually do.

I also appreciate that you have as good an insight into Miami as anyone I've ever seen post on the USC boards, and so I'm comfortable that you can speak with an usually high level of authority on the Canes.

Maybe where we first part on MC is where you're assuming Cristobal would still want Donte at his side. Given that DW recently bolted on him, I'm not ready to make that assumption. Actually, I was thinking that hiring MC might be one sure way to guaranty Donte would bail, or be jettisoned ... which is, in turn, one reason not to hire Cristobal.

That said, I'm personally against Cristobal because I don't like the idea of poaching another P12 coach to jump ship for USC by our encouragement. Maybe I'd feel different if Mario made the initial contact-of-interest to Bohn, but I don't see that happening. I which case, he'd be looking at it as mostly a money-opportunity thrown at him by USC in near desperation and, I think, Uncle Phil would outbid even USC to keep Mario. In truth, I think UO would do just about anything to keep him.

I also don't believe Cristobal would leave Oregon for another P12 school, even USC. He would leave, however, for a quality team in the South with tradition, a pro (vs. con) football culture and bouquet-piles of money, especially such a school in the state of Flodido ... since that's home for him, not LA. I know you know he played and started his coaching career at Miami. All thing's being equal, don't you think Mario to Miami is a much more likely move than Mario to Los Angeles? It'd be a grand thing, IMO, for him to return in triumph to Miami and complete the full circle in his coaching career.

Yes, I agree he's a very good coach and I recognize Oregon's current success is much the result of Mario Cristobal, but I don't think he's the best candidate for USC by a long shot. He'd be another lazy hire. The last head coach we poached from a P12 school came in with all the promise of success but didn't turn out so swell (Cutty Sark).

If we do in fact conduct a full, broad and thoughtful professional search for our new HC, then I'll agree MC's name should probably be somewhere on the master list, 'cuz "if you don't ask, you don't get." And if all the nuts have been shaken from the tree and he's the best we can find then I'd support him, but with one-eye-open and on him all the time for the NFL to come calling and lure him away. (Personally, I think Mario's next move is to take a stab at the NFL, not any other D1 college program that's not Miami, FSU or the Gators - and the Gators aren't looking right now.

Finally, as USC fans we see USC as head and shoulders above Oregon in all regards, but the Duck program is his baby, his creation. I think he'd be loath to give it up for what he may very likely see as pretty-much only a lateral move.

None of those may be fair or accurate, but it's how I see things with him. Even if I were wrong on all accounts, I still think we should aim higher.

USC need lots off things in a new coach that not Clay, Sark or the Lane Train ever offered but, among those things, I'd consider the stability of a sincere long-term commitment to USC an extremely important consideration. After the constant hire-n-fire revolving door at USC ever since Pete left, we desperately need someone qualified, capable and committed to stick with USC all the way back to the pinnacle. I don't think Cristobal would provide that.

And stop being a racist.

View attachment 153983
Based on what I’ve been told, keeping Donte would be his main priority.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Seriously??? What makes one say that? Lemme guess....taxes. Brother please

As far as I am concerned, they can cut Florida off the map and let it float out into the Atlantic....

Hahahaha. Given the frequency of killer hurricanes lashing Flodido, I'm surprised it hasn't already been torn away to float free around the Gulf.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Florida is a better place to live than California right now and that could make a difference in a coach’s decision
That’s a debatable, but fair point. But, there is a difference between living in California as a regular Joe and living there as a HC at USC. I would say living in Palos Verdes or Hermosa or Malibu, making 6-7 million a year could still be pretty sweet.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
“As far as I am concerned, they can cut Florida off the map and let it float out into the Atlantic....”

and sink.

You ever wake up early and notice that beautiful sulfur smell from people watering their lawns, or notice how most yards are completely screened in?

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
I find it hard to believe he's voiced any such an intention.
Well, I have a reason to believe he has at least inferred it. Put it this way, Donte and Mario are way cool with each other. He understands Donte made a business decision to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: HectorSpectre

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
“As far as I am concerned, they can cut Florida off the map and let it float out into the Atlantic....”

and sink.

You ever wake up early and notice that beautiful sulfur smell from people watering their lawns, or notice how most yards are completely screened in?
Dade County will be underwater, sooner rather than later.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017

and sink.

I lived in Florida for almost 12 years and I never saw a screened in yard. Patios and pool areas absolutely.

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

There are 129 college teams in D-1. Many P-5 teams are looking for the next Super Elite Coach. And so, the hunt & search are ever lasting; hire the next hot AC or Coordinator and within 4 yrs with an unsatisfactory record, they are fired, let go.

Shoot, there are only maybe 20 top HC's in the country. Out of the top 20, only 8 Elite HC (N.Saban, D.Swinney, L.Riley, R.Day. K.Smart, J.Fisher, D.Mullen & U.Meyer (NFL) but they are entrenched with heavy contracts and loyal to their schools.

It's tough for all these colleges, the supply and demand for HC's is imbalance and out of whack. There are simply not enough top HC's in college FB to make everyone happy...

Last edited:

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Well, I have a reason to believe he has at least inferred it. Put it this way, Donte and Mario are way cool with each other. He understands Donte made a business decision to leave.

I'll accept that that is your honest take and it absolutely may be spot-on.

For my part, I have no idea but, even if true, I still believe we can, and will, do better. Call it an article of faith.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
At FSU maybe. Miami doesnt have the alumni support or really, the fan base to generate a lot of income for its football program. Even back in the 80’s and early 2000’s, the stadium would only really be full when they played big games against top programs. In the late 90’s I could walk up an hour before game time and buy a good seating ticket.
That's the kind of insight you can provide into Miami that no one else on this board has (that I know of).

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017
Anyone looking can see USC is newly, and sincerely, recommitted to vast improvement aimed at a return to the summit of the dogpile.

It’s not just our storied history, glamorous locale and copious sums of money being made available, but the positive change in culture being hammered into place by HH. Right now USC is the smarter choice of horses for a top tier coach to ride to fame.

Bohn’s biggest job is convincing his top head coaching candidate(s) that the commitment he’s evidencing is deeply held by those at USC above him, too.

I keep waiting to hear Folt is being replaced by someone exuding a deep, unshakable commitment to that same shared vision.
USC is recommitted to that? Or just the athletic department? I see no convincing acts or commitments on the part of the BoT or the current President to regaining national prominence on the football field.

If that's what you are waiting to hear....you'll likely be waiting a long time. USC is not going to take a step back in that direction. They have made a firm commitment to all things "California" that have nothing to do with "glamorous locale". The BoT and paper tiger Folt as the tip of the spear, care about USC being top ranked academically. The money that comes with that is obvious. They aren't going to give that up to become known again as running back U.

Football coaches get paid more then the presidents of most universities. Winning is their first and foremost priority as it correlates to money via revenues for the university. Licensing agreements, advertising, conference revenues, tv revenues, merchandising revenues, gate receipts, the list goes on and on. You don’t win that correlates with lost income Opportunities. That is why there is little patience with coaches. It is win now baby or go on the hot seat. I think Kliavkoff explained that clearly to both Folt and Bohn that with Helton at the helm you are leaving a lot of money on the table.
Fight On!
If you consider strictly base pay, yes. However, a university president such as folt, makes just as much if not more money, when you look at her entire compensation package. She also gets incentivized for how much money in donations she brings in. Football revenue doesn't touch endowment money.

In April, "Folt said, “We are very fortunate at USC that our financial picture is positive. The value of our endowment reached an all-time high of $6.9 billion.”

Without the lawsuits, USC is swimming in money. Folt showed Helton more patience than Rip Van Winkle sleeping through his 20 years.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I consider the freeing up of piles of money to be a clear indicator of intended direction.

Most people and institutions don't throw lots of money at improving things they're not serious about improving.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

uscvball

Aug 24, 2017

"He gets it" isn't an absolute one way or the other. Pete did get it. He also got that this was a place where he could, and would, stay on the proverbial line, but also step over it to get what he wanted.

There were obviously some others who "got it" but one of the aspects to the job is success in pressing the flesh. It's the one thing that made Kiffin, Sarkisian, Ed O, and even Haden/Swann bad hires. Pete was a master at it. Kiffin has zero personality. Sarkisian was under the influence from the day he arrived. Yaw yaw does great in bunkie but not out here.

Max hired Haden for a reason and sadly, it wasn't primarily football-related. Haden did everything he was supposed to do. And none of it had to do with football. And then we get Swann....an expert in the AFC North and the closest fairway. He should have been someone who "got it". But his inability to effectively do the job he was hired for resulted in the loss of people who did "get it" like Magdi El Shahawy and Willie Brown.

You would have hoped that when USC got a new President, they would look at Swann like Lumberg from Office Space, "so what do you say you do here on an average day?" And Swann would have no answer. Instead, USC got Folt. And now she will spend the rest of her tenure (likely just 2 more years) cementing her legacy because that's what college presidents do.

I tend to think that successful players are more likely to end up in the broadcast booth than on the field. The majority of successful coaches were just okay players.