Miss you GarryP!

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
Do others recall his once favorite Nick Saban style rakish cowboy hat or sombrero with the long, lose, untied strings under which he grinned everlastingly like an ecstatic cheshire cat? You couldn't miss him You couldn't help but love him.. Or how he used to have a sort of permanent folding seat, I think, always cunningly set up right next to Carson Palmer's dad's own folding seat on the south sideline on HJ field. And wasn't Bob Leinart and other parents too always close to his ear? Man, the special intel he must have been able to glean. Except for Coach O, Garry was my favorite HJ personality, ever present, EVER PLEASANT, ever available.

Can or could the owners or publishers or other sites claim the same thing? NOPE! At least not back then. He was one of a kind. Just one of a kind. He was the anti-Scot Wolf, that so vile and so slithery personage, whose crowning redemptive saving grace was that he, thank God, avoided HJ like the plague, sending stealthy flunkies to do most of his dirty work for him, evidently. That's why he never could write a coherent sentence save to spit venom on all things USC. Wolfie was and is ALSO one of a kind, thank heaven, and beyond worthless. He even used to post insultingly stupid stuff and ascribe all of such to that horrid HJ bum and imbecile, eftzoons, can you imagine? Boy, he sure knew how to efficiently use his time and energy. Ah, but I digress. For it is the good guys we are eulogizing just now. Garry and his heart of gold.

AND his eternal bubbling over enthusiasm and his remarkable patience with nutcase types like myself, never failing, if he possibly could, to answer any danged stupid question I could possibly dream up. Or his delightfully similar, I always thought, speech cadence to the great JR, something almost akin to a slight stutter when he got really excited, something charmingly childlike. Anyway I so stutter or whatever when I bubble over with excitement, and Garry caused me infectious and eternal excitement every day and a feeling of great friendliness and comraderie. We shall never see his like again.

He used to wink playfully and mention, without naming names, that we had one of the best QB's ever coming our way, he just found out. "Better than Carson Palmer?" asked I. He winked playfully, "That's what they say." Turned out he was referring, I seem to recall, to John David Booty, whom I have never mentioned this anicdote before, but when I finally shook his hand one day, I became alarmed and told Trojames, a good pal of mine, that I was afraid that I'd break it, it seemed so delicate, and Trojames thought that height of comedy, but I wasn't kidding. Ah, those innocent, funny, sunny, arcadian times were so much better than the uptight attitude that has seized our delightful campus by the throat since the NZAA targeted us with the fury of hell.

Last edited:

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Garry was so passionate about the Trojans I cannot help but think he would be ecstatic over what is happening now.

trojanrazalas

Aug 24, 2017
Man I really wish Garry P was here to see all of this. The excitement level, the passion reinvigorated. I am sure would have enjoyed to see the coming seasons and a renewed fervor for the program.

Reactions: STRECKERmemo

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Nothing better than bumping into Garry on campus. Like a brother from another mother. Thinking of you, my friend!! Fight On!

Reactions: pcdynasty

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Thankful I got one conversation on the site with Garry P, very kind man. He is missed.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Garry was a special guy. I first met him when my good friend MKJ (John Magus) introduced me to him. I was pretty distressed when I found out about his passing. I too miss him.

Reactions: Rodgarnay51

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
I joined Garry's board in 2006. Being a bit of a hermit, I never met him personally, but I've read the testimonies and he ran a great site over the years. It hasn't been the same since he's been gone. RIP Garry!

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Wow. How time has flown by. He was young teen when I met him. What is he doing now?
Dinky Dao? Is that you?
He was in his early 20’s then. He’s an Auto Tech now. We both bought 1993 Toyota Supras last year and he's able to do most stuff that needs to be done on them.
I’m just going to sit on mine for a few years and sell it. Not a car for a 70:year old. No problem getting in, but getting out is a comedy skit.

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
Dinky Dao? Is that you?
He was in his early 20’s then. He’s an Auto Tech now. We both bought 1993 Toyota Supras last year and he's able to do most stuff that needs to be done on them.
I’m just going to sit on mine for a few years and sell it. Not a car for a 70:year old. No problem getting in, but getting out is a comedy skit.
That be affirmative. I stopped buying sedans. I find it easier to get in and out of my SUV much easier. I am pretty sure I met your boy when he was younger. MKJ passed in 2014 and it was sometime before that when I saw your boy. I remember he was a thin kid. But what do I know..... I forgot what I had for dinner last night...Good to talk to you again. It has been a while. Are you still doing pools or have you retired?

Last edited:

einibobo

Aug 24, 2017
I wished I got to know him as well as some of you posters. I was lucky to have sat next to him at a few recruiting dinners but our convo were always SC related. I did admire Gary and was in awe of his knowledge of the recruits. He was never at a lost for words when it was about the Trojans. Finally, when I discovered the internet during Pete’s time, Gary’s WeAreSc was my go to site (still is). He was the voice for all us fans. His passing was a shock and a great loss for his family, friends, and followers. I thank today’s staff for carrying on his legacy. You will always be missed Gary.

redeye.usc

Aug 29, 2017
Not to be overlooked was Garry's commitment to televised production of CIF Southern Section Football Games in the late 1990's for which he won an Emmy. This truly upped exposure for college recruits, in particular as there were no restricted satellite transmissions at the time. As AD and AP @ Westlake HS, I would receive letters from farmers in Minnesota and Wisconsin viewing the games on 9 foot paraclipse receiving dishes. Garry loved those "Signal Reports" as I passed them along to him and he would send them up the line of "Producers." May the perpetual light shine upon him.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
That be affirmative. I stopped buying sedans. I find it easier to get in and out of my SUV much easier. I am pretty sure I met your boy when he was younger. MKJ passed in 2014 and it was sometime before that when I saw your boy. I remember he was a thin kid. But what do I know..... I forgot what I had for dinner last night...Good to talk to you again. It has been a while. Are you still doing pools or have you retired?
You probably met him in 2005-2006, but the last time you saw him was in Dallas
Yes on the pools. Fully retired in the eyes of Social Security but still working 50-60 hours a week, lol

The Supra is ridiculous. I can reach down and touch the ground with my right hand. It’s Right hand drive

Cacadetoro

Feb 9, 2018
You probably met him in 2005-2006, but the last time you saw him was in Dallas
Yes on the pools. Fully retired in the eyes of Social Security but still working 50-60 hours a week, lol

The Supra is ridiculous. I can reach down and touch the ground with my right hand. It’s Right hand drive
That sounds about right. Don't remind me about Jerry's place. That was painful. I hope you did not start collecting SS when you were a 62. They doc you quite a bit if you make more than 15K I believe. I was still teaching and seeing patients back then so I did not start to collect until 66. I was able to make as much as I wanted without getting dinged by the IRS. Right hand drive as in the steering wheel on the right? Bless you. I guess you are lucky you are not trying this in LA or Vegas. The latter is like driving in a third world country.

Latest posts