Monday's Morass: What If USC Chooses Donte Williams

jacksonsf

Aug 24, 2017
This is USC. USC always makes the easy, lazy hire.

there is a reason why we go 20 years in between titles. We hire unqualified head coaches. Tollner, Hackett, Kiffin, Sark, Helton and Donte.

Of all of the listed head coaches (and potential head coach),all had coordinator experience except one coach.

Yet, this board will push USC to hire another unqualified coach because the players like him.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017

there is a reason why we go 20 years in between titles. We hire unqualified head coaches. Tollner, Hackett, Kiffin, Sark, Helton and Donte.

Of all of the listed head coaches (and potential head coach),all had coordinator experience except one coach.

Yet, this board will push USC to hire another unqualified coach because the players like him.
It has to stop.

Eeks2284

Aug 24, 2017
There's only two scenarios which USC should want. Donte salvages the season, wins the south but loses the Pac 12 championship. There's no coaching controversy and USC offers Donte a modest raise to remain the Associate Head Coach. Donte interviews a ton in the offseason, but all of the other programs Donte would want to be a HC at aren't ready to commit. He decides to keep building what he's built at USC until a top college pursues him as their HC.

The other scenario is Donte more or less runs the table winning the Pac-12 in convincing fashion and earns USC's first ever playoff appearance. Donte has the team playing well and competitive (even if they lose a heart breaker in the playoff) and proves USC is back as a top 5 blue blood playing for championships as Bohn demands in a candidate. USC's only chance at keeping Donte who has a ton of big money offers at top programs is to take off the interim title and the 1st year of the Donte era ends well. USC is back.

If Donte leaves after this year, most of the recruiting class will be lost. Hopefully Bohn is offered one of the two scenarios above to keep Donte and his recruits happy.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
There's only two scenarios which USC should want. Donte salvages the season, wins the south but loses the Pac 12 championship. There's no coaching controversy and USC offers Donte a modest raise to remain the Associate Head Coach. Donte interviews a ton in the offseason, but all of the other programs Donte would want to be a HC at aren't ready to commit. He decides to keep building what he's built at USC until a top college pursues him as their HC.

The other scenario is Donte more or less runs the table winning the Pac-12 in convincing fashion and earns USC's first ever playoff appearance. Donte has the team playing well and competitive (even if they lose a heart breaker in the playoff) and proves USC is back as a top 5 blue blood playing for championships as Bohn demands in a candidate. USC's only chance at keeping Donte who has a ton of big money offers at top programs is to take off the interim title and the 1st year of the Donte era ends well. USC is back.

If Donte leaves after this year, most of the recruiting class will be lost. Hopefully Bohn is offered one of the two scenarios above to keep Donte and his recruits happy

We are a long way from winning out and taking the Pac-12 title, so worrying about keeping Donte is so premature.

Let's just have fun with the season and realize that Bohn is going to make sure we have a leader who can go all the way.

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017

Those other coaches were uninspired. Donte is an intense competitor in everything he does. It is really unfair to lump him in with those guys. I'm not saying he should be HC, even if he wins this season, but he is a different breed of coach, the right breed for USC. We need to keep him at SC.

Let's see how the team does. It is going to be real tough to win all our games with Graham Harrell's lame offensive playbook. Unless Donte demands expansion of the playbook and figures how to make it really work well.

Arthur Jury

Oct 31, 2018
Um, that's not a good business strategy. Or a good recruiting strategy.

Let's table that idea.
Counter argument::: If USC had only given Claydoh a one year try out contract it would have saved us from the next six years of mediocrity and misery and we'd be way ahead today. As a business owner and operator, not locking in a poor performer into a long term contract is actually good business. So I have to (respectively) disagree.

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
Counter argument::: If USC had only given Claydoh a one year try out contract it would have saved us from the next six years of mediocrity and misery and we'd be way ahead today. As a business owner and operator, not locking in a poor performer into a long term contract is actually good business. So I have to (respectively) disagree.
Clay Helton's first team as full-time HC won the Rose Bowl. That team ended up ranked in the top 5, with comfortable wins against ND, fucla and a playoff bound UW team in Seattle.

Now, if we'd given him a one game tryout for that disgusting Bama game in Dallas, you would be correct.

There were definite red flags with things like his handling of Browne/Darnold and generally letting his players act however they wanted on the field, but the Won-Loss results that first year would have justified keeping him longer still.

Reactions: TrojanMoniker

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

I don't think many on this board are for the idea of Donte becoming head coach, not sure where you get that from. This team is not only not likely going to the CFPs, but it may be a stretch to win the Pac 12 South. These kids will play hard, but if the OC doesn't start getting this offense going in the right direction, we will lose at least 2 more games and maybe more. Won't totally be Donte's fault, he has no choice for OC. Still, Donte is not going to be all that - the only hope will be a new HC with a new approach to our offense.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017

Jackson, one more thought. Who hired those loser head coaches? Largely athletic directors who were former SC stars and didn't have a clue about who to hire. Couldn't break out of the SC mold. We finally, after 30 years, have an AD who sees the big picture. I doubt that he makes a bad hire and certainly not another insider.

zitorocks

Aug 24, 2017
They won't but if he wins the CFP then they will think about it.
I cannot imagine any way that you don't give him the job if he won the natty...even if he gets this team to the CFP and has a respectable showing. That's not just a small improvement but a HUGE improvement. Imagine passing him over for the job to hire someone else after doing that. That would not look good at all. Has that ever happened? Someone taking over as interim, winning 10, 11, 12 straight games and not get the gig? Now, the only way I see SC getting out of hiring him is if they announce beforehand someone like Bob Stoops with a clear and coherent commitment to grooming Williams for the job in the future.

Reactions: Pudly76

Trojans2021

Jun 20, 2021
If we win the PAC, beat ND, and sign an dynamite recruiting class then I say sign him to a 2-3 year contract. He has never been a head coach before so i think a short contract will be safe. Make it incentive based like Harbaugh at Michigan. And the best part about it is that if your gonna miss on anybody, miss on a recruiter. My only question mark if he does get hired is the kind of staff he brings in. Is he gonna keep most of the guys on the staff or is he going to let go most of the coaches and keep a few?

jpsocal65

Aug 24, 2017
If we win the PAC, beat ND, and sign an dynamite recruiting class then I say sign him to a 2-3 year contract. He has never been a head coach before so i think a short contract will be safe. Make it incentive based like Harbaugh at Michigan. And the best part about it is that if your gonna miss on anybody, miss on a recruiter. My only question mark if he does get hired is the kind of staff he brings in. Is he gonna keep most of the guys on the staff or is he going to let go most of the coaches and keep a few?
U are delusional! Won’t win the Pac12, ND will smoke us. This team though I love them is not that good. I hope they surprise me but I don’t see it. Time to bring in a coach that can recruit, develop, motivate, and adjust situational. A true, experienced professional X’s and O’s HC

Reactions: USCSAE

IETrojanFan

Aug 24, 2017
If that happens either A. We missed out on all the big names or B. We didn’t do a thorough search, again. Either one will make me seriously question the future of USC football.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

Bilbo.usc

Jan 9, 2020
If CDW leads this team to even a PAC-12 south title he should be kept on as head coach for a couple of years .. let’s see what things look like December 1
I do know the CDW is the most valuable person we have in the football program today . He needs to be part of our immediate future . Money talks pay him to stay if not as head coach then as DC. A talented new head coach with not need an Associate Head coach on his staff
Personally I am rooting for CDW to succeed

Reactions: Redskins Rick

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
If CDW leads this team to even a PAC-12 south title he should be kept on as head coach for a couple of years .. let’s see what things look like December 1
I do know the CDW is the most valuable person we have in the football program today . He needs to be part of our immediate future . Money talks pay him to stay if not as head coach then as DC. A talented new head coach with not need an Associate Head coach on his staff
Personally I am rooting for CDW to succeed
Where have we heard that before...USC just wasted 7 years of it's programs lifespan due to this mindset (no offense).

Reactions: USCSAE

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
He hasn't been the same since his freshman year
When you have a line that is as porous as a kitchen strainer one can understand this. There are a lot of what ifs here. I loved what I saw in WSU but I would like to see how we do over the next month or so before I get excited. I like Donte but I want to see what he does with our line and with some tougher teams. BTW, he cannot be blamed for this pathetic line but maybe he can fix it. We shall see.

mrsocal

Dec 8, 2017
IF IF IF Donte goes undefeated from here out. Beats neutered dame and fucla. Wins pac championship game and a major bowl. Then I would be ok with a ONE YEAR tryout contract. Anything short of that. No.
HA! HA! HA! If Donte wins out, do you honestly think he's going to take whatever crumbs SC throws him? He'll have his pick of jobs. Maybe UDub comes calling. I guarantee you he won't accept a ONE YEAR tryout contract. LOL

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
HA! HA! HA! If Donte wins out, do you honestly think he's going to take whatever crumbs SC throws him? He'll have his pick of jobs. Maybe UDub comes calling. I guarantee you he won't accept a ONE YEAR tryout contract. LOL
Great point

mrsocal

Dec 8, 2017
He hasn't been the same since his freshman year
I posted this on another thread but I think it bears repeating: According to no less an authority than Jim Mora (cue the laugh track), "that while I like Kedon Slovis, I think he's overrated. You know I think he's a good quarterback, but I don't think he's a difference making quarterback." Mora said this 2 days after Claydo's firing and 3 days before Dart's stunning debut in an interview on Sirius XM ESPNU Radio. Say what you will about his coaching tenure at FUCLA, I'm pretty sure he's a better evaluator of football talent than 95% of the members of this board.

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
We can play the “ what if game” all we want, but the bottom line is, if we get to the end of the season and he’s done an amazing job, then what?

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
We can play the “ what if game” all we want, but the bottom line is, if we get to the end of the season and he’s done an amazing job, then what?
It depends on what "amazing job' entails and does Donte have a legit plan. He'll still have to beat out others that want the job. Anymore premature decisions will lead to undesirable results. IMO.

USCSAE

Sep 14, 2019
Crazy, one good half against a horrible team and many people are ready to anoint a new HC.

Glad for Donte, hope there is room for him in the new regime, but are you ******* kidding me?

No more first timers, like the Holocaust, never again. We need someone who has been through the trial and error of building a program. How you pick coaches, run practice, travel, etc, etc, etc… someone whose never done the multitude of things a HC does, can’t be expected to do them well with no past experience.

Please stop. Let’s finally enjoy a season without Helton, and with the hope that an exceptional and experienced hire will be made.

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
IF IF IF Donte goes undefeated from here out. Beats neutered dame and fucla. Wins pac championship game and a major bowl. Then I would be ok with a ONE YEAR tryout contract. Anything short of that. No.

NO ONE takes a 1-yr. head coaching contract.
You’re saying if Donte wins out, all the way through a major bowl, he’d take a 1-yr. deal? No way.

Not only would he not take that, he’d leave and take a job with Saban, Dabo, Ryan Day, or Lincoln Riley. We might kiss Domani Jackson, Fabian Ross, JGould, and EPrysock goodbye, too.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12