Mullen to South Carolina as OC. No sarcasterisks.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Did Beamer's time in Starkville overlap with Mullen, or was he gone before Mullen was hired?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wtf. I guess everyone told sexton thanks but no thanks shopping him around for hc. Odd to see him at OC at USC.
Hope we kick their *** next year since Moorhead couldn't kick his *** in 19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Is there something in his buyout where he still gets his buyout if he takes an OC job snd not an hc job? Maybe getting paid double now. Do that a couple years before an HC job opens

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Ok I'll say what nobody else wants to :
USCe is gonna be really good really soon.
Conor Lamb GIF by GIPHY News

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The only question in my mind with that is, USCe has never really been set up for an option offense or had a running threat at QB as far as I can recall. Can Don coach a pro-style QB, or are they going to drastically change their offense?

On the other hand, Mississippi State now runs the air raid, so I assume the end is nigh and anything can happen now. I expect chaos of biblical proportions.

ghost2.jpg

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Is there something in his buyout where he still gets his buyout if he takes an OC job snd not an hc job? Maybe getting paid double now. Do that a couple years before an HC job opens
Mullen got 6 million when he got his walking papers from FL and 1 million a year every year until through 2027.

SC money will be in addition to his FL annual direct deposit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

What makes you say that?

The thought the South Carolina might soon be really good in football never crossed my mind. Beamer is still their coach.

Of course, my definition of "really good" might be different than yours. I'd define "really good" as either winning the SEC East or being really close to it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Well they ran off the incumbent QB so surely there's a super beefy RPO QB coming from the portal

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They said that when Steve Spurrier went to coach there as well. Takes more to change things that a coach a big season-ending win. Course if you read this place, you wouldn't agree with that at all they could change anything they wanted to by just demanding it.

Reactions: onewoof

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’ve only found a couple of articles mentioning the possibility of this. My, how the mighty have fallen if this is true. I’d never expect that egomaniac to take an OC gig, especially at a mid-tier program.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I think the guy pushing that is making it up as he goes. Mullen could get that Louisville opening if he wanted it.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
What makes you say that?

The thought the South Carolina might soon be really good in football never crossed my mind. Beamer is still their coach.

Of course, my definition of "really good" might be different than yours. I'd define "really good" as either winning the SEC East or being really close to it.

Yes, same definition.
They had consistent improvement throughout the year, Mullen has won a championship as an offensive coordinator, and they play in the East.
As soon as Dan gets a mobile qb, they will be there.
But it is true that they have also had Spurrier and Holtz as head coaches and didn't win big-time, but they had a few really seasons in those years.

Reactions: dog12

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
Mullen got 6 million when he got his walking papers from FL and 1 million a year every year until through 2027.

SC money will be in addition to his FL annual direct deposit.
Is this true? Wasn't it that when we let CJM go that if he took another job we would only pay the remaining balance of what his new salary was?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The only question in my mind with that is, USCe has never really been set up for an option offense or had a running threat at QB as far as I can recall. Can Don coach a pro-style QB, or are they going to drastically change their offense?

On the other hand, Mississippi State now runs the air raid, so I assume the end is nigh and anything can happen now. I expect chaos of biblical proportions.

View attachment 274410
I think what Don Merlinz did here best was adjust his offense to the personnel on hand and will end up doing it there too, unlike what Slow Joe Moorhead did here which was try to pound a square peg into a round hole. If Merlinz had tried to make Chris Relf a passing QB here he would have had the same results that Slow Joe had here trying to make Nick Fitzgerald a passing QB in '18

Reactions: Fang1

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Is this true? Wasn't it that when we let CJM go that if he took another job we would only pay the remaining balance of what his new salary was?
All depends on how the contract is written.

I don't know the derails of Mullen's contract, but UF agreed to pay him $12 MM when his contract was terminated. $6 MM up front, and $1MM per year for the next 6 years. Doesn't sound like an arrangement that would be offset by any future employment.