Musings from Arledge: Caleb Williams, Oklahoma Meltdown, and The Market

CP619

Aug 24, 2017
"I think he’s more likely to go play in Kazakhstan. Whatever package Borat puts together is likely to be more enticing than what Chip Kelly is selling. "

Borat's package includes his wife. Chip is discussing with his wife now.

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
I agree with @Arhedge about the hand wringing and clutching of pearls re: NIL.

It is certainly messy and disorderly, but I believe this is likely the single best way to achieve recruiting parity that has been trending toward a tyranny of big programs since...hell, since Pete's absurd classes in '04-'07. The best way to erode the stranglehold that Alabama and Georgia have had on prep recruiting for the last ten years isn't for another power to rise up (which it has, at TAMU), but rather for every big time program to do incrementally better...which has already happened thanks to normal regional recruiting effects (Ohio State, Notre Dame, the resurgences of Michigan, USC) and NIL (fairly well publicized efforts at TAMU, Texas, Jackson State, and others).

At least, that's what I hope happens. If this only concentrates talent at a few select schools and this turns into a Power Five of programs, not conferences, than NIL will have had a net erosive effect on college football generally. And perhaps, at that time, there SHOULD be a players' union, that negotiates a collective bargaining agreement that includes an NIL cap. Even that, I question whether that would be constitutional, but I'm sure counselors with relevant legal experience and expertise could opine.

IndyNDBJJ

Nov 4, 2021

The Garage Mahal

Aug 24, 2017
So you are a staff member, writing an article that trolls an entire fanbase?
Very professional.
Calling OU the “ugly girl.”
Classy.

I couldn’t care less about OU, but this article isn’t what a professional journalist should be putting out.
I think Arhedge is going to be lightly stunned and somewhat bemused that he's now being called a professional journalist.

And he'll probably demand you take them fightin' words back, or else.

gubo&palanka

Sep 23, 2017
Very professional.
Classy.

I couldn’t care less about OU, but this article isn’t what a professional journalist should be putting out.
Oh oh. Now you’ve gone and done it … 😳

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
Chris, another enjoyable read (as expected).

* Thanks for hopefully talking the Chicken Littles off the ledge (absolutely agree with you on that point). Yes, stranger things have happened but just because a gamma-ray burst from a distant galaxy may be headed Earth's way doesn't mean I'm going to worry about it (unless it gets really close)--:D
* Props for having the spine to admit you were swindled in Ardmore. Wonder how many really fell prey to Nigerian prince scams or invested with Bernie "Made-Off" and never admitted to that.​
* And free markets do indeed work better than the alternatives. Not perfect (nothing is) but again, better than the alternatives.​

reTiredEngr

Aug 24, 2017
I think Arhedge is going to be lightly stunned and somewhat bemused that he's now being called a professional journalist.

And he'll probably demand you take them fightin' words back, or else.
Wonder if IndyNDBJJ brought his/hers elephants over the Rockies; we know Arhedge loves ND!

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Very professional.
Classy.

How dare you insinuate that Chris Arledge is a Professional Journalist. Have you no shame?

Reactions: Boogie17

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017
Very professional.
Classy.

While it's true that professional journalists have been covering themselves in glory with their rigid adherence to high ethical standards, sadly, nobody has ever offered me a professional journalist certificate. People who read my columns tend not to be looking for that.

Besides, in fairness, while I've been hard on OU fans, it's also the case that the vast majority of that fanbase can't read anyway, and therefore my comments simply do not affect them. In their case, ignorance truly is bliss.

Besides, I'm not really calling OU fans ugly. I mean, it's possible that most of them are, but I wasn't saying that. I was using a metaphor. They were spurned, and now they're acting insecure and silly. And I, on the other hand, am acting silly by needling them. We'll all be okay in the end.

As will you and I, because I can see that you're a fellow BJJ guy, and that makes me like you immediately.

eftzoons

Sep 12, 2021
I think you might just get your wish. I get the eerie feeling Dart is slow playing us, too, simply waiting -- like everyone else -- to see if Caleb finally signs with USC or not, ready to jump back on board at USC if Caleb goes elsewhere. And I happen to think we'd STILL be in very, very good shape with Jax back in the fold. It is being reported that Kiff is meeting with JT Daniels, so I take it nothing set in stone at Ole Miss. But at OU, Lordy, who knows? It is also being reported that LSU is hot on the trail of Caleb, and you don't want that cuz LSU has mucho bucks to burn.

TrojanHorse

Aug 24, 2017
I happen to think we'd STILL be in very, very good shape with Jax back in the fold
I seem to recall most of us were pretty happy when we signed both Dart and Moss initially. With improvements in the OL, the receivers, the schemes and play calling, yes I think we'll be just fine having the two of them back now.

gubo&palanka

Sep 23, 2017
Heck I think we’ll win 8 or more games with Moss handing it off to Dye & Co, and throwing to Williams, Williams, Brown and Jackson LLC.

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
“Half of you want to replace Traveler with Eeyore.”

This happened even after Riley was hired, some concerned that after making the CFP 3 of his 5 years, he didn’t win an NC. Some apparently thought that there was someone better available.

BTW: I like the Mister T Starter Kit that you picked up…..😉