Musings from Arledge: On Wisconsin, Caleb Williams and Another Hackett

Merlin4SC

Jun 23, 2021
Indeed Hell-ton PTSD has you in rare form today, but great perspective and comments for the faithfull.

BiggDaddy

Sep 3, 2021
If he (or anyone in the portal) does not enroll, how much access to the team would/could they have? Could they work out with the team, practice? Do you know of any specific uni or NCAA rules regarding a situation like this? Thanks

Tamatoa916

Aug 24, 2017
Well said as always. Joking about CW coming in is one thing but tearing into him, tearing into the kids going into the portal is lame.

On a different note happy to see norcal guy in the mix at the Jr Day. Riley is on it. Even if Caleb doesn’t enroll, WE ROLL ON….FO!!!

BOULDER TO BIRMINGHAM

Aug 24, 2017
Great column Chris. The Caleb situation has us all stressed out, but he has a big decision to make, and should take all the time he needs.
I do disagree on one point- Clay Helton was the worst coach in school history, even worse than Paul Hackett. Hackett could at least evaluate talent, he just couldn't develop it. Helton could do neither.

USC Rising

Aug 24, 2017
“ No recruit owes you a commitment to USC. No recruit owes you a decision on your timetable.”

Thank you for speaking some common sense here. As they say, common sense is not very common. The last thing we need is an SC fanbase loudly turning on CW when he’s trying to decide or waiting to announce and there are way too many posts like that around on various sites. I admit to refreshing every 30 minutes for any word, but I don’t understand trashing the guy for trying to make the best decision for himself and his future, as if he owes us his life.

troypwr

Aug 24, 2017
Caleb isn't alone. He has his father and who knows who else advising him. The deals have been on the table and there should be a clear picture by now. I mean it's not like the deadline wasn't clear to everyone. And yet this circus continues. Most of us do or should understand that this is a big decision but the variables have been available to them for some time now. Chit or get off the pot, Williams crew. Either way, it will be alright.

Reactions: Tamatoa916

DaFireMedic

Aug 24, 2017
“I just know that choosing USC is obvious, and therefore I remain – without any inside knowledge whatsoever – convinced that Caleb Williams will be USC’s starting quarterback against Rice.”

This is my take as well.

“But not as silly as watching USC fans turn on Williams because he hasn’t committed on our preferred timeline. “

Yep.

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
I enjoy Arledge musings. My favorite line: "Then we heard rumors about a program that doesn’t have much to offer an elite college football player (or America): UCLA..."
I like 99% of his columns too...for me this one is just what he always says about this topic...he is consistent, and states love of money is all it is...that is a 'yawn' for me...I prefer some one like Dart,or Moss,came to SC to play football with a great 100 yr tradition like I remember; since the early 50's I attened home and Rose Bowls games until I moved...that makes me a dinosaur I guess.

BeachFAN

Aug 24, 2017
Idi Amin and Larry Holmes.. Chris, 1/2 of this board has very little idea who you are talking about, you're showing your age dude. Personally I LOVE IT.

As far as QB is concerned, if CW comes he comes, right now it's probably MM and since he was/is a 4* QB, he can't be that bad right? I mean the kid from Georgia beat out 5* recruits and Slovis was a 3* guy so the fall back aint too bad.

SCBirnkrant81

Aug 24, 2017
Thanks for the write up Arledge. I don’t know if or when Caleb Williams will ever register in order to play for the USC squad. I do agree with your assessment about CW’s reasons to follow CLR to USC. Based on what I have seen and read, Riley is a QB whisperer, a Heisman maker, one that transformed a walk-on named Baker Mayfield into a Heisman winner as well as the first pick of the NFL draft. Then he continued that success with K Murray. Riley is therefore the real attraction, the main reason why most of these five star kids have reconsidered their options, transferring or committing to play in Riley’s system, which is why we have witnessed this surge in recruiting in the past month. Whether CW to USC happens or not, IMO, USC is now in good hands. If Riley did it with Mayfiled, then he can also do it with Moss, Hassan, or Patterson until Malachi arrives and ready to take the reigns. What I keep reminding myself is the fact that Georgia’s QB was not a five star, and Nick Saban didn’t have the five star QB when he was winning those earlier championships. Fight On!

Last edited:

Uppershelf21

Aug 24, 2017
Great column Chris. The Caleb situation has us all stressed out, but he has a big decision to make, and should take all the time he needs.
I do disagree on one point- Clay Helton was the worst coach in school history, even worse than Paul Hackett. Hackett could at least evaluate talent, he just couldn't develop it. Helton could do neither.
The Caleb situation doesn’t have us ALL stressed. He has every right to evaluate every opportunity, but if you are advanced enough in your thought process to enter the portal you have to have a pretty good idea otherwise why enter it. He comes to SC great and if not good luck to him. Simple as that. STRESSED OUT….give me a break.

FightOn1992

Aug 24, 2017
Hackett was worse but Clay gave him a serious run for his money in my opinion

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
So Chris, if Gomer's son ever becomes a coach in the future, are you going to trash him like Hackett's son, too? :LOL:

Speaking of Larry Holmes, he may not be a super sleuth but the man was one of the most underrated HW champs in history. His record was 48-0 at one time before age inevitably started eroding his skills (esp. his strong left jab) and by the mid-80s, he was a shadow of his former self. You can age overnight in the fight game and that really did happen with Larry. I'll always like the man though if for no other reason that I cleaned up against my friends that night when he TKO'ed Cooney aka The Great White Hoax. Couldn't understand why my buds bet on Cooney that night because I instead saw a guy who would leave himself wide open every time he tried digging with his left uppercut. And Larry took full advantage of that, repeatedly countering with an overhand right to pound Cooney's face until his trainer, Victor Valle, wanted no mas for his fighter. But I did literally lol at your comparison of Larry with Conan Doyle's creation.

Latest posts