Musings from Arledge: Putting Tosh in perspective, Wisconsin's bounce-back plan, and USC's fun again

BeachFAN

Aug 24, 2017
I would say Lupoi should have known better than to open his big dumb mouth hole, but as the saying goes "you can't fix stupid". Good job on the Musings and I can't wait to see the beatdowns Oregon will once again start to endure... as they should.

Rodgarnay51

Aug 24, 2017
I would say Lupoi should have known better than to open his big dumb mouth hole, but as the saying goes "you can't fix stupid". Good job on the Musings and I can't wait to see the beatdowns Oregon will once again start to endure... as they should.
I'm concerned that one of our coaches is a recruiter and that's it. At least he's not a jackass like Lupoi.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
I gave my theory on UO last week. I think Lanning has a 2-part strategy:

1. Years 1 &2 are all about recruiting. Trick/lie/coerce/threaten/bribe top recruits onto campus however you can
  2. Years 3 and beyond, turn more into development

I don't think Tosh/Martin stick around more than 2 yrs. They have no intrinsic loyalty to UO and I think their contributions have diminishing returns as their liabilities begin to outweigh their assets. You don't pay Tosh to be a top coach, you pay him to recruit and hype your school.

Will it work? Hard to know. What are the CA kids hungry for? Does the Nike and "get out of town" angle have more pull than SC? Did the Nike thing cap out when SC just wasn't a viable option? Obviously Keyvon Thibs still bought their hype.

Other than Tosh and Klemm, the rest of their coaching staff seems a bit pedestrian to me. Can they develop the kids they trick onto campus enough to have sustaining program success? That's the $1M question. Does Lanning = GA Defense? I don't think so, but who knows. I don't think the pieces are there for UO to be the Dawgs of the West.

As for Tosh, what a shame! What could have been had he kept his nose clean and been patient. His roots are at Cal and he killed it there. He could sell Cal because he was Cal. Had he been patient, paid his dues, I could see him having success as Cal's HC. The fact Tosh has instead gone full mercenary instead chasing the $ and talking trash, is just sad. He'll get the $3M from UO or whatever they're paying him, but he will not have his peer's respect and will not go down as a solid coach. Once the $ dries up, he'll be left looking at his meme.

Reactions: Alvaro Carrillo

Maranello

Sep 4, 2021
Great article although I don't think Shapiro can take advantage of Quacker season tickets for a while yet. He's in the middle of serving a 20-yr. sentence although he was allowed to transfer in 2020 from Club Fed to home confinement for the remainder.

And if the reporter posing that question to TL had any attachments and/or savvy, he'd have said something like, "Close. You mean like how you got close in the 2017 CFP title game (2016 season) against Clemson when you were Co-DC? You were up 24-14 after 3 Qs but your D still managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and end up on the short end of a 35-31 score. You mean close like that"?

1969Trojan

Aug 24, 2017
The difference between USC football and Oregon football in terms of history, tradition, national championships, All-Americans, NFL draft picks, Rose Bowl wins, NFL Hall of Famers and other achievements is from here to Jupiter. Oregon has been an average, and sometimes above-average, team. Instead of engaging in these kinds of trash talks, they have to take a high road and just don't say anything. It's always better to shut up than talk nonsense. These two programs are not in the same league in terms of history and tradition. Why make foolish statements?

Ndugu10

Aug 24, 2017
FYI Arledge.

You do know Gavin Morris and Adrian Klemm went ro HS together and share a lot if friends and are friends themselves.

Not sure blasting a good friend of someone so close to USC players is a good thing.

Reactions: DIL

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
Tosh is trash!

kyle mooney trash GIF by Saturday Night Live

Jay4usc

Jan 10, 2018
The difference between USC football and Oregon football in terms of history, tradition, national championships, All-Americans, NFL draft picks, Rose Bowl wins, NFL Hall of Famers and other achievements is from here to Jupiter. Oregon has been an average, and sometimes above-average, team. Instead of engaging in these kinds of trash talks, they have to take a high road and just don't say anything. It's always better to shut up than talk nonsense. These two programs are not in the same league in terms of history and tradition. Why make foolish statements?
UO trophy room

84B1C50F-2A46-4E8C-A014-8CBC15695068.jpeg

USC Trophy Room

F02D4CD4-25E6-4F01-A0FF-85C36BCB3016.jpeg

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
I think my teeth are a little warm because i was grinning throughout that entire roasting!

Lol at Tosh Lupoi. But he's essentially playing the heel and hyping his team like an old-fashioned pro wrestling villain.

Some kids actually respond to that sort of thing and enjoy being part of the "It's us against the world!" type of team mentality.

Oregon has been an above-average program now for more than a quarter century. That's something to be proud of if you recall their heritage as one of the Pac 8 and Pac 10's regular doormats.

But despite all the Nike money and eleventy-billion uniform combinations, they've managed one title game appearance and that's it. They're not even close to being in the same category as an Auburn, Clemson, or LSU - other teams which aren't quite blue-bloods, but which have championship hardware on display to prove their credentials.

Yale

Sep 29, 2017
Oregon is a team that has mostly won with gimmicks...which did not work in NFL, for its most famous head coach, now a not so great coach for ucla.
They do recruit some fine athletes in football,basketball and track, etc...They do have Nike financed facilities galore. Overall they are recent to the game of top 10 sports and conference championships, mostly thanks to the hellton years or the ncaa scholarship limitations to have mediocrity everywhere in sports,except for state run schools with LOW tuition.

Reactions: gubo&palanka

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017

Because that is exactly what fools do. ;)

NG Doug

Sep 13, 2018
I think my teeth are a little warm because i was grinning throughout that entire roasting!

Lol at Tosh Lupoi. But he's essentially playing the heel and hyping his team like an old-fashioned pro wrestling villain.

Some kids actually respond to that sort of thing and enjoy being part of the "It's us against the world!" type of team mentality.

Oregon has been an above-average program now for more than a quarter century. That's something to be proud of if you recall their heritage as one of the Pac 8 and Pac 10's regular doormats.

But despite all the Nike money and eleventy-billion uniform combinations, they've managed one title game appearance and that's it. They're not even close to being in the same category as an Auburn, Clemson, or LSU - other teams which aren't quite blue-bloods, but which have championship hardware on display to prove their credentials.
Yes and in that one title appearance they showed up wearing Raider colors. Not a spot of their traditional school colors . Can you imagine USC showing up doing that? Never. OU should be called Fashion Show U.

Arhedge

Staff member
Aug 24, 2017
FYI Arledge.

You do know Gavin Morris and Adrian Klemm went ro HS together and share a lot if friends and are friends themselves.

Not sure blasting a good friend of someone so close to USC players is a good thing.
Gavin can be friends with Adrian Klemm if he wants. I don't think he's hurting anybody. But Gavin's friends aren't off-limits.

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Ouch.

Remind me to never pizz you off.
I don’t know, I used to do it regularly and I’m still here.
Of course, that was when there was 4000 miles of ocean and 3000 miles of sagebrush, between us.
As soon as I heard you were in Oregon I started behaving myself.
But when and if I move to Portugal, it’s back on, sucka.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
Gavin can be friends with Adrian Klemm if he wants. I don't think he's hurting anybody. But Gavin's friends aren't off-limits.
Gavin is probably more concerned with the guy they just hired from Ohio St.
Hope he is still in their plans. I love Gavin going back to when he was just a poster on these boards.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
I don’t know, I used to do it regularly and I’m still here.
Of course, that was when there was 4000 miles of ocean and 3000 miles of sagebrush, between us.
As soon as I heard you were in Oregon I started behaving myself.
But when and if I move to Portugal, it’s back on, sucka.

All water under the bridge, my friend. I grated a lot of the peeps the wrong way when I first joined. I suppose I still do. ;)

But you and "Scoop" are closer than white and rice, so comparisons there are not really valid.

As for Portugal; good move!

I considered it once myself. Beautiful country and a truly gracious & beautiful people. I always considered Hawaii to be blessed for all its melting-pot contributors, and esp.' to have so many of Port. decent there and close friends.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

BlemBlam

Aug 24, 2017
All water under the bridge, my friend. I grated a lot of the peeps the wrong way when I first joined. I suppose I still do. ;)

But you and "Scoop" are closer than white and rice, so comparisons there are not really valid.

As for Portugal; good move!

I considered it once myself. Beautiful country and a truly gracious & beautiful people. I always considered Hawaii to be blessed for all its melting-pot contributors, and esp.' to have so many of Port. decent there and close friends.
Yeah, one of my friends and his wife just bought a nice little house, 500 feet from the Atlantic for $175,000 so I can go there and not be totally on my own. Plus my goddaughter lives in Barcelona and another “ daughter” lives in Madrid.

I want out. This ain’t the same country I grew up in, and I don’t see it getting any better. The little bit of $$ I’ve set aside and with my SS and my wife’s retirement, we can live a pretty simple life there. With my genetics, I’m probably going to have another 15+ years of fairly good health.

I’ll always have multiple places to stay here.

Jamaica is the logical choice because we have nice property available to us, but the crime is just out of control.

Reactions: Dando16

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, one of my friends and his wife just bought a nice little house, 500 feet from the Atlantic for $175,000 so I can go there and not be totally on my own. Plus my goddaughter lives in Barcelona and another “ daughter” lives in Madrid.

I want out. This ain’t the same country I grew up in, and I don’t see it getting any better. The little bit of $$ I’ve set aside and with my SS and my wife’s retirement, we can live a pretty simple life there. With my genetics, I’m probably going to have another 15+ years of fairly good health.

Jamaica is the logical choice because we have nice property available to us, but the crime is just out of control.
Yup.

I think everyone’s coming to realize that the direction this country has been heading in for sometime isn’t what anyone wants.

If we don’t find a way to come together on some basis of commonality of purpose, it’s only going to get worse.

It’s really sad, but people on all “sides” of the political spectrum are so wedded to their own views as to what’s right and good that I don’t see this ending well.

I especially feel for the young people, but I am thankful that I probably won’t live to see the worst of it.

Fight On, Blem.

Reactions: Hockey10

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017

I was surprised to learn how fractured Spain was, as a country and culture. Between the Catalans in Barcelona speaking their own language, wanting to separate and oppose anything from Madrid; to the longtime militant-separatists and completely different culture of the Basque; to the Moorish culture of the South; to French-speaking villages of the North. Very distinct, different and somewhat fragmented people...all living under the "Spanish" umbrella. I don't know that they have anything figured out either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peete2Affholter

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Alabama only won 45-34. Tosh Lupoi = Blow-Hard. Maybe he can get his old DL coach job back at Cal after he and Lanning get run at Oregon!?

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
Gavin is probably more concerned with the guy they just hired from Ohio St.
Hope he is still in their plans. I love Gavin going back to when he was just a poster on these boards.
They don't do the same job and it was mentioned that he's taking over for mondo.

Peete2Affholter

Aug 24, 2017
I was surprised to learn how fractured Spain was, as a country and culture. Between the Catalans in Barcelona speaking their own language, wanting to separate and oppose anything from Madrid; to the longtime militant-separatists and completely different culture of the Basque; to the Moorish culture of the South; to French-speaking villages of the North. Very distinct, different and somewhat fragmented people...all living under the "Spanish" umbrella. I don't know that they have anything figured out either.

Remember that they also had an extremely bloody Civil War only 85 years ago, and in that one, the fault lines weren't along regional or cultural differences, but political ones. The Spanish Civil War is a very fascinating study, and was used as a proxy war for both the Fascists and Communists flexing in the years leading up to WW2.

nvargas

Aug 24, 2017
Remember that they also had an extremely bloody Civil War only 85 years ago, and in that one, the fault lines weren't along regional or cultural differences, but political ones. The Spanish Civil War is a very fascinating study, and was used as a proxy war for both the Fascists and Communists flexing in the years leading up to WW2.
Political civil wars come and go. Cultural/ethnic differences endure for centuries.

WillingToConquest

Sep 9, 2019

Hockey10

Aug 24, 2017
Once USC starts dominating, most all the elite recruits will be committing to us. The duckies will get the scraps.

Latest posts